Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2.5i Impreza Automatic trans questions

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing a 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i base model sedan with the 4 speed auto transmission.

I have some general questions:

1. In general, how is the four speed Subaru auto transmission?

2. Since this is only a four speed auto, as opposed to VWs five speed sportronic, what are the engine RPMs for the Subaru at highway speeds of 65 to 80 MPH. Does the engine seem to be "wound up"? Does the Subaru 4 speed auto seem to need an "extra gear" at highway speeds?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Don't let the number of gears fool you, our 4 speed Forester is geared a LOT taller than my 6 speed Miata. I followed my wife once and my Miata was screaming at high rpm while she chugged along quietly.

Though I have a very tall-geared Toyota Sienna, so the Subaru falls between those two.

Most of the 6 to 8 speed autos are very closely geared, so they aren't necessarily taller in overdrive gear.

If you want a tall-geared Subaru, though, consider the new 2010 Outback with the CVT. At 80mph it's barely idling along at just 2000 rpm. EPA highway is 30+ mpg.