Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Hybrid System Problems

15678911»

Comments

• There is now a recall on the 2008 models. Check the vin# and call Toyota to see if this car is included.
  • I have an issue with my Toyota Highlander Hybrid 08 model. As I was driving home yesterday it's like everything stopped working. I could not steer the car or operate the brakes. Luckily, I was not driving very fast or I would have probably wrecked. It lasted only about 10 seconds and then everything came back on. Reading about all the problems with this model, I almost feel like I have been driving around in a death trap! I am afraid to drive it now because I don't know if or when this may happen again. I called my dealer and they said to bring it in but what I am afraid of is that they will say the repair is not covered and I do not have the money for any repairs. My husband wants to just take it and trade it in but I am not sure what to do? Has anyone else had this problem with this model and year? If so, what was the end result?
    Thanks, Kim
  • ruthruth alaskaPosts: 5

a few months ago i got a recall notice from toyota for my 2007 HH to replace the Intelligent Power Module (IPM), apparently it's a transistor within the inverter. then a few days ago my 12 volt battery died and needed to be charged, which i did but car won't run anymore. this is the second time this has happened. my car has to be ferried about 300 miles to the nearest dealership to have the IPM replaced. has anybody else gone through this and did it correct the shutting down problem? i too am very disappointed with the whole affair however i will say that so far, over the phone, the dealer rep has been very helpful.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860

Since the IPM is being replaced for a second time, it sort of sounds like there may be an issue with whoever it is that supplies the IPMs to Toyota. Nice to hear that the dealer rep is helping you out!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

no this will be the first replacement of anything. just curious if others have had this replaced as mostly i read here of inverters being replaced. and it seems there are lots of comorbidity issues as well, wondering what to expect in my case once it gets to the dealer, i can't afford any big ticket items like i've been reading about. i think i'll be done with toyotas after this as well.

by second time i meant the second time the 12 battery went dead, and after recharge, car refused to run without a mechanic coming out to "reset the codes".

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860

@ruth said: by second time i meant the second time the 12 battery went dead, and after recharge, car refused to run without a mechanic coming out to "reset the codes".

Ah, I misread that. So when the 12V goes dead, there's some stuff that does not reset itself. Sounds like there's some kind of electrical issue causing the 12V to drain. Since they replaced the IPM, they may suspect that. Keep us posted on your progress!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

they haven't replaced anything yet, i live about 300 miles away from the closest dealer and the car will have to be towed onto the ferry, and then towed for 80 miles to the dealer once it arrives on the mainland in order to address the recall. i've been trying to deal with the issue on my own up until now; having a local mechanic come to my house to "reset the codes" and see if it will run, which worked 6 months ago. now i can start the car but it will run only about 5 minutes before it shuts down. my brother has an 08 HH and has had no such issue, and has replaced his 12 volt battery with no problems similar to mine as well.

15678911»