Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5 Series Sport Wagons

14567810»

Comments

• 1wisdom1wisdom Posts: 13
    Hi,

Sorry for delay mom had open heart surgery. Anyway I have a 99 540i. Steering is way too stiff. Not a one hand handling car. I like the feel of the road too. I see people much older then myself driving these cars thinking there is no way they would want to work this hard to get car to perform.

Please advise

Wisdom
  • kkics1kkics1 Posts: 11
    Hello all...the tailgate on my 1999 528I just stopped working. The window does open & works just finde, but the tailgate motor just starts & stops (almost sighs.) The fuses are good...any ideas? Will I need a regulator? Or does it just need to be reset and cycled? :cry:
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    Had one; great car.
    One issue my wife had was hooking the front air dam over parking curbs.
    The car is very low as in sporting.
    No trouble in 4 years of ownership. Great motor and trans.
    Traded to an S-430 4-Matic sedan.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased (within the past year) a new 2006/2007 BMW 5 Series and would like to talk about your new car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday June 22, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information with the year of your 5 Series.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    Sorry for the late response; for some reason I never saw your post. I hope your mom is doing well.

As far as the steering goes, if you still have doubts about yours, I would have someone look at it. FWIW, I don't consider my steering to be a one-handed affair, but I don't know how stiff is too stiff for you...and anyway I have the 530i which has rack and pinion--unlike yours. Why don't you see whther you can find a similarly equipped 99 540i for sale and take it for a test drive?
  • 1wisdom1wisdom Posts: 13
    Thank you! I had a gentleman drive the car who has a 97 740i he agreed it was tooooooo stiff, also had a friend of mine drive it(his brother has 99 540i manuel) said it is tooo stiff has well not sure what it is. Perhaps steering box ouch $2K. The car lunges on it's own, not good. Now has a loud ring/type sound similar to metal/metal from brakes when I exhallerate then fades when lift foot from petal and fuel presses lowers who knows. Sorry to say disappointed.

Pls advise w/ any ideas.

Thank you again

Wisdom
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    Why don't you post your questions on the Problems and Solutions board? I'm sorry, but I'm no expert; my knowledge stems mostly from my own limited experience plus what I've learned while lurking on the various boards.

Alternatively, you could find yourself a good independent mechanic and have him give it a once-over.
  • ganibarganibar Posts: 2
    Would anyone offer advice on how to choose a year and model 525 vs 530 Certified wagon? I am interested in joining the ranks of BMW owners.
  • Hello there. Wondering if there's a "better year" and better powertrain for various iterations of the BMWs with sport packages.
    Have heard the 2000-2002 540i Sports have an inferior engine than 2003s. Am looking to buy used or "certified" or something that has a transferrable warranty to 100k.

Thanks!
  • Which fuses did you check? Did you check the fusebox above the battery in the right, rear side panel? I had the same problem with the tailgate recently, changed 2 fuses (#53) and the problem was solved. If you did change the fuses then it would be a bad tailgate lock regulator which can be about $300 repair (at an independent mechanic, not dealership). Good luck.
  • Here's a few issues to look out for:

* Loss of power or torque. Solution: replace cam sensor, $250 fix.
    * Coolant loss. Solution: possible complete radiator replacement, $450 fix.
    * Rear tailgate lock failure. Solution: change fuses in the rear panel above battery or possible tailgate lock mechanism replacement, $300 fix.
    * Auto leveling failure. Solution: Complete auto level mechanism replacement, $1500 fix.
    * Rear cup holder replacement, $40 fix.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    On my way home yesterday I was taking in the sights of an E60 Sport Wagon slowly passing me. While I'm not much of a fan of wagons in general, I do find the wagon version of the E60 to be more attractive than the sedan, and this one was done up in Sapphire Black, making it very good looking in my eyes. Then it got far enough in front of me for me to make out the model designation. "Hmmm, nice." I thought as I read "535xi" off the rear tailgate.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • a2mxa2mx Posts: 3
    Hi there,

I'm debating between buying a used Passat and a used BMW wagon in the $9-13K range.

I am only considering manual transmission cars, and have found quite a few specimens online, all with clean CarFax reports. Unfortunately, they all seem to be located too far for me to test-drive each particular one, unless I'm 99% certain I want to buy that vehicle.

Do any of you have any words of wisdom with regard to the reliability, maintenance costs, insurance, etc?. (For instance, a 2003 VW 60K vs. 2001 BMW 100K - any thoughts?)
14567810»
This discussion has been closed.