Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5 Series Sport Wagons

Comments

• riezriez Posts: 2,361
    They have a comparison test of Euro-spec 520i, 530i, and 540i Touring. Rare to see so much interest in Touring models.
  • sisk168sisk168 Posts: 3
    Greetings:

I just bought my 99' 528i wagon with sport pkg which is 17'' tire. I looked at user manual and it says "it's not possible to put on snow chain on 17" tire" And indeed when I look around the tire, the spacing between tire and cover is very limited.

What should I do if I go to ski 5 times a year and might need a snow chain? Any suggestion is appreciated!! Or if I can anyway get a fitted one from Kragon and the chain expert at control station is skillful to put them on??

Thanks,
    Allen
  • snagielsnagiel Posts: 750
    Chains are a real pain; I'd recommend instead to just invest in a quality snow/ice/winter tire/16" wheel set and swap them out every winter. With Blizzaks, even a powerful rear-wheel drive car can handle most winter conditions short of an icy blizzard.
  • mod62mod62 Posts: 38
    How much did you end up paying for your car. Is it 5 speed?
  • sisk168sisk168 Posts: 3
    I got it around 30 grand. It's an auto transmission. One reason ot make rush decision is BMW is offering 2.9% APR at this time that makes thinkless for snow condition.

snagiel : I am not so sure if I want to change tire 2 times per year. Since I went to lake tahoe skiing 5 time a year which might require snow chain control. I would really prefer if you have experience that successfully put on a snow chain on 17" tire?? Generally there is no icy condition around san francisco region that need a winter tire on all time.

Thanks,
    Allen
  • tofor67tofor67 Posts: 3
    'Lo all,

DW and I are thinking about grabbing a '99 528IT w/ around 30K miles for about $24K. Since it's still under the new BMW warranty period (4yr/50Kmi), I was wondering how the warranty is transferred to the new owner especially when it's a private party sale. Is this a hassle or is it pretty straightforward?

Also, while reviewing all the 5 series boards here and elsewhere on the net, I was wondering what specific things I should be looking out for on this model - especially any electrical or tranny gremlins.

Thanks in advance.
  • Hi all,

I am new to this board, and have been offered a price $1670 over invoice for a new 2002 525iT wagon. I have sent some emails and called a couple other dealers and are waiting for their replies as to whether or not they can beat that price. Do you think this is a reasonable price for a 2002, or can I do better?
    (steel blue with auto trans, cold weather and premium packages)

Thanks!
    I've heard of a couple of $1k over invoice deals, but they've all been on 525i sedans. You might be able to bargain down another hundred or two, but it's certainly on the lower end of the reasonable range.
  • I just might try bargaining a bit more! ;)
  • Anyone,

My 95 525 was involved in a collision two weeks ago. The car was being test driven by my mechanic when it was hit in the rear by a 2001 M5 and pushed into a 2002 Toyota truck in the front. The car as been declared a total loss. Essentially the repair cost, slated at roughly 19k would surpass the Blue Book value of the car, which has been estimated at 16k.

The insurance company has made a proposal, their first, offering a little bit over Blue Book value. The only problem is that the noted amount barely buys me a car of similar value. I bought my car in 1998, when it was essentially 3 yrs old, with 40K. My position is that in oder to get something of equal value, a 99 528 wagon, the settlement would have to be slightly North of 25K at least.

Any advice?

-d
    Was it being driven by a BMW mechanic? If so, I'd fork over the money to the dealer and expect them to come up with something similar or better. If not, I might try to argue with the insurance company a little more (not sure if it's moot by now), and/or apply some pressure on the mechanic's garage to assist (since it was their fault). Good luck.
  • Folks,

I'm looking at a Pre-Owned 99 540 Wagon with 78,359 miles, titanium Gray, automatic, in absolutely beautiful condition. Asking price is $28,777. Any advise as to whether or not this is an adequately priced vehicle. I'm in California and the dealer is Weatherford of BMW.

Thanks in advance -

Cipo -
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Have you had a chance to check out Edmunds' Used Vehicle appraiser? This will give you the average cost others are paying for the same wagon in your region. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• mod62mod62 Posts: 38
    I have had my new '02 525iT titanium silver and gray leather with PP and CWP. I had to sacrifice from the wagon I was going to order (5speed, titanium grey with black leather, SP, PP, CWP, Xenon's) because the dealer really want to move the car and I ended up paying three grand under invoice.

I am very impressed with the car over the last two weeks. I hope I do not miss the SP!

Any idea if the new platform will include a wagon.
    It would be great timing when my lease is up. I hate sedans and Automatics!
    There's obviously no official information, but rumors have it there'll be sedan, wagon, and even hatchback (according to the 12/02 Automobile) variations of the next 5-series. 4WD may be an option on all of them.
  • I just saw (did not test drive as it was late) a 2002 525T Sport Wagon with auto, premium and sport package. List is $46K and dealer will sell for $40.9K. Three questions for you who own or have driven this vehicle:(i)is it underpowered?,(ii) how does it handle inclement weather, i.e., rain and snow (I don't live in Canada but we do get snow/wet conditions from time to time (Midwest)), and (iii) what do you think about the price and the vehicle? Thanks! Ciao, Jon.
  • I too am considering this wagon when our lease expires on our current vehicle in 5 months. I do live in Canada and the points you raise are identical to the concerns I have. I have spoken to a few people here in Toronto who do drive BMW's and they have told me that the winter driving is a none issue in anything but the most severe snow storms. Based on my past experience with rear wheel drive,I would have to agree providing you install some quality snow tires. As for the engine,I have also read many good reviews stating that although 183 hp seems low on paper,it translates quite well on the road. In fact,it probably out performs cars that are rated much higher. I think this car is more about balance and handling than raw speed anyway. I'm looking forward to a test drive soon.
    Just as a side note,the other two wagons that I am considering are th Saab 9-5 Aero and the Volvo XC70. The Audi A4 Avant is stunning but a little small for my lifestyle.
    Good luck!
  • Thanks for your comments. If you test drive the BMW, I would appreciate it if you posted your thoughts on the car. I like the looks of the Audi but agree, too small, the Volvo I find too boxy and to suburbanite (I live in the city, no kids, nothing wrong with the burbs if you have kids!), and the SAAB looks great but colleagues have had a lot of problems with them and say repairs are expensive... Ciao, Jon.
  • Also considering 525 wagon. My choice is between 525 and Passat W8. Any thoughts?
  • I can't seem to get a good reading on what the auto critics are saying about the W8. I have read many rave reviews as well as some that are not as flattering. The 1.8T and the v6 are constantly praised for their excellent qualities and good value but the W8 seems to get criticized for having too much technology in such a small package. Go Figure..
    Anyway,getting to the comparison,I think the VW will definitely be much faster and the AWD is a definite bonus. All in all,it's very interesting package that I personally think deserves a serious look.
    The 525 speaks for itself so I don't think I would be saying anything that has not already been said. One point however which you may want to consider is that this is the last year for this model. I look at this as an opportunity to grab what may be one of the finest sedans/Wagons on the planet. Although the technology and designs are advancing,I think the auto manufactures are making their new models less interesting and as a result,they are loosing their identity.
    Loss of quality is also an issue on some of these newer models.
    Just my 2 cents on this.
This discussion has been closed.