Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Enclave AC Problems

Comments

• I have a 2008 Enclave. I will be taking it to the dealership AGAIN on Monday to have the AC worked on. This will be at least the 5th time I have had it worked on so it is becoming more and more inconvenient. Plus, living in Texas, you don't want to be without AC! Do I have any options? I don't owe a whole lot on the car and I don't want to trade in and have to start over on payments.
  • pclaypclay Posts: 10
    Well, we sold ours. It is very clear that GM is refusing to deal with the problem. If we had been in a situation where we could not have traded or sold our Enclave then I would have contacted the BBB and the State Attorney General's Office to file a complaint. Good luck! This just shows that GM has never changed.
  • bmanlybmanly Posts: 8
    I was the orginal complainer in this forum about this Enclave AC problem. We thought after a incident-free summer of 2010 the AC problem had gone away but recently the quickly dissappearing Ac reared its ugly, and now dangerous head again,this time with a full load of angry passengers (including my father in law who recently had open heart surgery!!). This time it was only after about two hours of driving, and this time even the rear aux system seemed to shut down too. We ended up shutting off the AC for about a half hour as we drove and what do you know it came back on fine for the last 10 minutes of trip. The next day, no problem at all with AC. It was a fairly humid in DC this weekend but temps were not particularly hot. Very aggravating. I am counting the days until the lease is up in October as I know I will take it to the dealer and he will say they can't replicate the problem and the Ac works fine for them.

Has anybody officially diagnosed the problem and gotten it fixed so that it hasn't come back?
  • bturigbturig Posts: 5
    Ditto on the problem being back. It's hot in South Carolina.

Same issues. My feeling is that they car has a original refrigerant leak. My wife is taking it back to the Dealership this week. Perhaps they can recharge the system. This seemed to help before.

We are also looking forward to getting rid of this car.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,245
    Buy a CX-9 less money and better quality. If you like a driver's rig, you'll love it!

Regards,
    OW
  • tom320tom320 Posts: 7
    :lemon: :lemon: My Enclave AC problem has has continued as well. Last November I had to take it in for problems that resulted in what I was told air-conditioning lines. Now they are saying that the condenser is leaking. I am frustrated and very disappointed because this was my first brand new purchase and half of the time I spent in the service department. I feel jilted because this car was made at a time when GM had its problems and the craftmanship reflects where the company was at the time. I would love to trade but cannot because it would make me upside-down. We have to ride it out. : (
    I've had so many other problems with this vehicle and GM knows because of the history it has with service department. Wishing I had better options.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    tom320,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. By chance have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    We had the same problem on and ongoing basis. We frequently travel into hot humid areas. We were told over and over that GM didn't know anything about this problem.

Frankly, GMs response appears to be that it's the customer's fault. In other words, GM doesn't notify their dealers about the problem and it's up to you to convince them. I believe this is an engineering problem. That is, the A/C system wasn't designed correctly.

This has been going on for over a year now! Come on GM, does it take a class action lawsuit to get you guys to honor your warranty?
    I ask this respectfully: would you buy another GM considering your experience with the service you received?

Regards,
    OW
    pclay,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please send me your VIN? What did your dealer say? Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Update....we ended up having our Enclave AC worked on 7 times. I think the last time it was finally fixed. The dealership (not the same one where we bought it) was wonderful. Then one day, the dealership where we did buy it called, "just to check on us and see how we liked our Enclave". Boy, did I give him an earful! He was speechless, to say the least. My experiences with GM directly have been laughable. I actually got an email from GM telling me that they are not going to discuss the problem with me anymore....can you believe that? I kept the email but also forwarded it to the dealership doing the repairs and to the dealership where I bought it. They wanted to see it so they could show it to their GM rep who comes around. Of course, I have not heard anything else back from them.

Now on to another problem....at the end of February 2011, I noticed it was driving sluggishly. I thought I had gotten a bad tank of gas and figured I would have to drive it down then put some good stuff in it. While waiting in the car pickup line to pick my kids up from school, I was sitting idling for a bit. Once the line began moving, I put it into Drive but it wouldn't drive. I was finally able to make it go enough to get my kids picked up then I had to pull over. Called the dealership and they sent a tow truck. Yes, my Enclave with less than 60,000 miles on it had the transmission go out! I have had other cars with well over 100,000 miles on it that never had transmission problems. Thank goodness it was covered under the warranty and they had a loaner car for me to drive but now I never leave the house without wondering if my car will make it home. Pretty frustrating situation! We drove to Florida for vacation and we took my husbands FORD truck because there was no way I was going to take a chance on driving the Enclave 1,000 miles each way! I will never, ever, ever, ever have another GM vehicle!! I will ride a bike first!
    bmanly,

I apologize for the problems you experiencing with your A/C. Please keep me posted if you do decide to take the vehicle in to be diagnosed.

Thank you,
    I also drive a Chevy Silverado, which I like. I've owned several of these and all have been good trucks. We traded the Enclave for a Buick sedan, which is just OK, at best. We would not purchase a GM sedan again, as we believe the quality is just not there.
    bturig,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Please keep me updated on your situation. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • rhow1rhow1 Posts: 1
    The air conditioner in my 2008 Buick Enclave stopped working yesterday. Took the car to the dealer today. Diagnosis: leaking freon somewhere along the lines, they are not sure where, they do not have the part to replace it, and they do not know when they can fix it.
    To my surprise and horror, I see other "happy" Enclave owners have already been through this.
    How can I bring this problem to the attention of the authorities? It appears to me that GM should recall the AC lines for this vehicle.
    It is not acceptable to have the AC lines leaking in a 3-year old luxury vehicle! And it is a major inconvenience in the hot Georgia summer, and right before the July 4th holiday!
    vickiefontaine,

I apologize for the problems you have experienced with your vehicle. Are you experiencing any issues at this time?

Thank you,
  • Hi Caron

As a matter of fact, I am going to have to take my Enclave to the dealership tomorrow because now my brake light is coming on and Service Brake message. It's also telling me that the stabiltrack is off. So once again, I will be without a car while they try to figure out what's going on this time. Have you seen all my threads? It's been in 7 times for the AC and then I had to have the transmission replaced back in February. I started a file with GM but they did absolutely nothing other than extend my AC warranty from 50,000 miles to 80,000 miles. I informed them that in Texas, if a problem is diagnosed and documented prior to the warranty expiring, then they have to fix it even if the warranty expires. So basically, they were just agreeing to follow the law. I got a very rude email from a Buick rep telling me that GM is not going to discuss the AC matter with me anymore. I still have the email if you would like to see it. I can certainly forward it to you.

Thanks,
    Vickie
    Vickie,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Apologizing is lame. Do something to help. Get involved. Sorry doesn't fix it.

Regards,
    OW
  • bmanlybmanly Posts: 8
    Amen to that Circlew/OW!!

There seem to be 3-4 different GM customer services reps chiming in on this, offering apologies, but what we want is to hear that a HVAC engineer at Buick is looking at the unique A/C problem and how to fix it ASAP. It feels like Buick/GM is just trying to sweep this under the rug, but you just can't do that anymore in today's social media environment. Instead of taking this car to Maine this summer we will be cramming into my wife's Prius to make the 12 hour trip. It is just too big of a risk to go without possiblity of A/c on a long trip in the middle of summer.

GM, this vehicle was such a step in the right direction for american-made SUVs from a design, gas mileage, size, etc etc standpoint IMHO. Please follow through on this issue and don't ignore it.