Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Passat Wagon vs Subaru Wagons

Comments

• frapzoidfrapzoid Posts: 127
    Where did everybody go?

Gary
  • allhorizonallhorizon Posts: 483
    They are driving in their Passats and Subarus and are having fun.

- D.
  • ncvolncvol Posts: 196
    I'm still debating over these two, but will probably wait to see the new iteration of Outbacks next model year. I should probably go test drive both of them right now, but hate to do it when I'm not going to be buying anytime soon, I feel like I'm being disingenuous to the salesman (not that he wouldn't do the same thing to me).
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    "but will probably wait to see the new iteration of Outbacks next model year."

'04 Outbacks are expected to be the same as '03; maybe minor cosmetic changes. I saw an '04 LL Bean at the NY autoshow and the only differences that I saw was silver badging (Outback & AWD) instead of gold and Baja wheels versus the H6 gold wheels. However, there could have been a revised H6 under the hood. :-)

DaveM
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You can pre-view the next Legacy, it's been talked about a lot in the Subaru Crew - Future Models topic.

Looks good, too.

-juice
  • ncvolncvol Posts: 196
    Sorry, I wasn't clear about what I meant. I meant the model year that comes out next year (2005). I know the MY 2004's (which should be out fairly soon) won't have any major changes.
  • According to Edmund's reviews of each audio system, the McIntosh system in the Subaru got a 6.0 (http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/70543/page004- .html) while the Passat's Monsoon sound system got an 8.0 (http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/68202/page006- .html)... I own a 1997 Outback and the stereo system is terrible, if that matters... no experience with the McIntosh stereo but I hope it's better than the 80-watt Panasonic. I've experienced the Monsoon sound system and it rivals some of the best out there in this price range. Edmund's also put the Monsoon Sound System in the Top 10 for under $30,000 (http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/55745/article.html); I quote:

"Believe it or not, the Monsoon stereo in the VW Passat is manufactured by Delphi, a division of Delco Electronics. Even more amazing: It sounds really good. Volkswagen takes a somewhat different approach to audio in all its vehicles, which is evident throughout the product line, from the Passat on down to the Golf. Rather than mounting large 6-by-9s on the back deck, the VW folks opt for 6.5-inch drivers in all four doors. The doors act as speaker enclosures, accentuating bass response and smoothing out the rough edges. Top this off with an elegant pair of front-mounted tweeters, and you have a recipe for good sound."
    Hope this answers your question.
  • I will never buy another VW!!!! Unfortunately I found out that my Passat isn't deer-proof!!! A month and a half ago I ran into a deer or vice versa. I knew I should have bought a Subaru! I know they make a deer-proof car, don't they? Just kidding fellas. I did have some issues with a deer but I'm still glad I bought the Passat. The insurance company had to cover $4300.00 of damage.

Gary
    Whoa, everyone was OK? That's some serious damage. Did any air bags deploy?

I had a deer run into the side of a K-car I rented a long time ago, it was bizarre. It stunned him, we stopped, then he got up and ran off!

Would an Outback be more deer proof? LOL. Well, it is a little taller, so you might have a small advantage there.

-juice
  • I didn't get hurt but the deer didn't do so well. She was killed instantly. No, the air bags didn't deploy but then I didn't feel a thing when I hit the deer. It made some noise but I didn't feel the impact at all. The deer was a good size but the Passat is a relatively heavy car. A smaller car would have been toast. I was going 35 mph and the deer was running full speed. She didn't have a chance...

Gary
    :-(

Oh well. My nanny's daughter just got a Passat. V6 Tip sedan in red. She brought it by yesterday, to take her kid and my kid out to the mall.

I had to cinch up a couple of child seats, no problem there.

She should have chosen a wagon, the two strollers took up the whole trunk.

-juice
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Posts: 506
    You should have bought the Outback. Outbacks equipped with optional roo-bars are definitely more deer proof :)
    Are roo-bars something that are only sold in Canada? I'm not familiar with those. I think my Passat sustained less damage than a WRX would even with those roo-bars... ;-)
    Australia is a good source for those.

Subaru has about 10 times as much market share there, and despite what people say they are used off road extensively. There are all kinds of clubs, and more than one vendor selling skid plates and 'roo bars.

Or should we say, 'ru bars?

-juice
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Posts: 506
    But any vendor in austarilia will sell those as an option.

They definitely work, as roo collisions are so common. http://www.subaclub.com/TechTalk/roobar.htm
  • spcanfspcanf Posts: 5
    I am trying todecide betwen subaru and passat gls 1.8 auto. wagon. I am concerned about hesitation of passat when initially accelerating. Dealer told me it was because the car had to learn the driver and after I drove it for awhile, the hesitation would go away? Does anyone know if this is true? I like the smoothness and quiet of passat - but the hesitation would drive me nuts if it didn't go away. Thanks
  • It is true that the transmission adjusts to the driver. So it depends on who has driven it before. It takes a while to adjust, and may require the battery terminals to be removed (and the remaining voltage to be drained by e.g. applying the brakes (lights) to reset to default.

On the other hand, the auto - 1.8t combination is notorious for having a bit of a lag. This is under most circumstances not the turbo lag many people accuse it of. It is just a mismatch between the two, where the AT is optimized for fuel consumption and does not upshift early enough. If the car has the tiptronic, that makes it easy to shift it yourself, instead.

- D.
    You sure you can't learn stick shift? The 1.8T is far more satisfying with a manual, IMO, buttery smooth.

I think the 2.5l in the Subie is torquey and actually mates better to Subaru's very robust automatic. That same tranny handles 300hp reliably in modified WRXs. The trade-off is that it only has 4 speeds and no manual controls on most models.

-juice
    I didn't like the 1.8/Tiptronic combination either. I liked the V6/Stick better. Liked it so much that I bought it. Try the stick with the 1.8 engine. You might like it better.

Gary