Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota Corolla vs 2010 Kia Forte

13»

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Okay, your right, because it's not a Rio forum, even though it's unsafe, I shouldn't have mentioned it ! But anyway, let's talk just manufacturer and not models. I know your hang-up is recalls and not safety, but when was the last time Toyota had a car on the "unsafe" list?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Why do you continue to try to steer this discussion off-topic? Why not stick to comparing the Corolla and Forte? Besides, which "unsafe" lists are you referring to? The fact that lots of Corolla's are on the NHTSA's "list" for safety recalls could be construed as being on an "unsafe" list. Some people think the Corolla's steering is "unsafe". So it will be on their "unsafe" list. Yada yada.

So let's compare the Corolla to the Forte, eh?
    Backy, I'm generalizing about Toyota vs. Kia just as you did in your post of #33.

I was refering to a "Dangerous Car List" of experts, not your own list or my own list. I quoted the "Most Dangerous Vehicles List of 2009" as drawn up by Forbes Magazine based on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) crash test ratings. IIHS is an independent testing organization funded by vehicle insurance providers.

Simply put, in message #33 you pointed out that "lately Toyota has more recalls than Kia", I presume "lately" means 2009 and 2010. My point is that in 2009, this same year, the IIHS also gave Toyota very high marks for safe vehicles on eleven of their models while Kia this same year had a vehicle judged very dangerous to drive by experts who base their judgements on testing by this same IIHS.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,578
    Am I in the wrong forum? Happened to stop right next to a new Forte at a light yesterday...same color as my Civic, and liked the looks of the car. Seemed to be the same size as the Civic, so assuming it's also the same size as the Corolla. All nice cars so along with the Mazda 3, Sentra & Elantra, there is much to choose from in this class.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Fine, if you want to play the game of stretching a two-car comparo to a brand comparo (see your post #32) then complain when someone replies to you... don't expect any more replies to off-topic posts, from me anyway.

BTW, if you want to see Toyotas on the "most dangerous car" list, you only need look at their previous list. There's 3 current Toyota/Scion models on that list. Just one Kia--the Rio.
    There again in post #32 I was just responding to irritatrix's post who, like you, was also comparing Toyotas to Kias, not Fortes to Corollas. As I stated in post #32, I respect irritatrix's oppinion as I also do yours, but when a statement like your #33 post is made, I believe clarifications should be noted and discussed. As you, I also exhausted my comments I want to make on this issue
    ...now that it's no longer possible to buy a 2010 Corolla... not for awhile, in the US at least. :sick:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100126/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Regardless of the posts you cite, the discussion is indeed for comparing the Corolla to the Forte. Would appreciate it if you would keep that in mind.
    Oh I'm well aware of that ! I was just responding to the two other posters who wanted to generalize by manufacturer rather than model. See #31 and #33.
  • As has been said previously, this is a vehicle comparison discussion and we appreciate your comments staying to the topic. There are places where you can talk about the manufacturer only.

Toyota on the mend for 2010?

New one just created to address recent recalls.

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelertor Stuck Problem Recall

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• I apologize for contributing to the off-topic nature of the thread. I was simply trying to rebut the earlier assertion that KIAs are crappy cars compared to Toyotas. I rented a Corolla recently on a trip and my passenger even complained about how tinny it was and how much road noise he heard. I say this as the former owner of a new 1975 Corolla wagon that was an awesome car - for its time. I just don't think the model has held up that well, and very few professional auto reviewers seem to think so, either. I am planning to look at a Forte soon because we need a small, fuel efficient sedan, and have been very impressed with the KIA Sedona that we own. I will also be checking out the Hyundai Elantras. Hyundai ranked above Honda and Toyota in 2009 in the JD Powers rankings for initial quality. I haven't driven one, so I have no idea if I'll like it, but from what I read, it's a decent car.
  • I test drove both vehicles for half a day and both drove very smoothly. I would have to say that both the interior and exterior design of the Kia Forte was better than the Corolla and it had more extras, bells and whistles, etc. The Kia has the more powerful 2 liter compared to the Corolla 1.8 but I have to drive an hour to work each day so I wanted the better gas mileage. The Kia Soul was ever worse on mileage than the Forte. I also worry about the resale value on the KIa and if this model will hold up in quality over the years like the Toyotas usually do. Supposedly my brand new Corolla does not have the recall problems and when I enter my VIN # on the Toyota site, it does not show any problems. I do think the Koreans are making better cars and the Japanese need to watch their backs. If it was just on style points alone, I would have bought the Forte but after doing a lot of research I picked the Corolla. After my wife traded in her older car on a 2006 Toyota Sienna with all the bells and whistles, the deal was done for sure since we got a great deal on both cars :)
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Posts: 81
    edited September 2010
    I think you may have been confused about the fuel economy of the Forte vs. Corolla. Despite the difference in engine size, power, and torque, the two cars have virtually identical mileage figures: Corolla 1.8L LE 26/34, Forte 2.0L EX 25/34, Forte 2.0L EX with Fuel Economy Pkg. 27/36. And the Forte has 24 more hp and 16 lb.-ft. more torque (22 hp and 10 lb.-ft. in SULEV form). I know from my own experience with a Forte EX that the highway mileage is easily attainable, even at 70-75 mph. All 2011 Fortes, with either 6-speed manual or automatic transmissions, should be able to match or better the figures for the 2010 Fuel Economy Pkg. model.
    You made an excellent decission, good luck with the new Corolla. I love my 2009 XLE. No problems whatsoever to date. Of course I still have a 2001 Corolla I bought brand new and have never had a problem with that either.
13»