Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    To keep up this my-story-is-worse-than-yours, Congressional Mazda never called me to say the part arrives. It's here, but I had to call and ask. They had promised to call on Tuesday.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    I learned long ago that when they say they will call you that is just wasted breath. No dealer has EVER called me when parts came in or my car was ready in the service department. Even though all SAID they would. The only exception to that has been the Toyota dealer I now use for service on the Echo, which is one of the reasons I have stuck with them.

Certainly I'm not expecting any "calls when ready" from my Subaru dealer. I have had more than enough experience of this particular dealer in the past to know to expect very little, especially from service and parts.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Hah, call it Karma, but my wife went to pick up the rubber floor mats yesterday and the dealer forgot to charge us state sales tax.

Not my problem. I doubt I'll ever step foot in there again.
  • cmenakercmenaker Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Outback Sport with the original tires...now about 60K. Any recommendations for replacment tires would be appreciated. I live in Northern California and communte 30+ miles each way to work on the highway five days a week. Also occasionally take the car to Tahoe in the snow but that's the exception to the rule. Suggestions?
    do these big shiny 17s they put on the new OBS show dirt and brake dust! I am going to have to step up my typical carwashing schedule with these things, because they start to show dirt so quickly and look pretty icky after a week or two. In this respect, the (16-spoke?) 16s the other Imprezas get would be better.

cmenaker: color me impressed - you got 60K miles from the original Potenzas? If you are interested in long-life tires as a priority, the Toyo Spectrums on my Echo have been very good to me - good grip in the dry (but not in the wet so much) and will exceed the warranted 65K miles of treadwear.

• Wondering if anybody can help me with a little problem. I have a 1997 Impreza Outback Sport and the keyless remote will not lock or unlock the tailgate. All other doors work perfectly well with the remote and the tailgate can be locked and unlocked using the key. Any ideas what could be the problem?

I have a vague recollection of this same problem happening 5-6 years ago. I think we were able to fix the problem with some combination of locking the doors with the key and using the remote, but I can't remember for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    The wheels are painted .... so wax them.

Seriously, it helps keep brake dust off.

I have to do the same with ours. Much easier to clean once you've done that.
    You give me WAY more credit than I deserve for good car-cleaning! :-P

I go through the brushless automated wash, haven't scrubbed a car by hand in a while.

• After 2 months of looking at cars I finally decided on the impreza outback sport, and I love it. It was very hard to find this particular color, but a dealer ordered it and I'm very happy with it after a week of driving it. Total price was $20,200 including TTL

">
    image">
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    Congrats—and good luck with your new ride! I like that color combo. Keeps us posted as to what it's like to live with, day-to-day.

Bob
  • Well I've been driving the '09 impreza OBS for a week now and here are the things I like and don't like about it:

1- A very stable, solid and fun driving experience
    2- It sticks to the road....weight does not shift much to the side when making turns
    3- It does not "nose dive" when applying the brakes
    4- It feels like I'm driving high off the ground, sort of like a compact suv (at least that's my experience) It doesn't feel like I'm driving a compact car.
    5- The engine has plenty of power and has good acceleration
    6- I love driving it in sport mode with the tiptronic transmission
    7- Very spacious interior, and comfortable seats.
    8- A lot of space in the back for groceries, and even much more if you fold down the rear seats (I still have to see if my bike will fit in there, but it seems like it will)
    9- My dog likes siting in the back
    10- Sound system is awesome! has a 6 disc cd changer and plays mp3's and wma's. I still can't find all 10 speakers but sounds like it had them all. good bass to.
    11- A/C blows nice and cold and reaches the back very well.
    12- Filled it up yesterday for the first time. I drove 329 miles before I had to gas it up. The mpg indicator says it made 23mpg, which doesn't sound so great, but I know it will improve overtime. The dealer also said that the reading wouldn't be accurate at first. Filled it up with $31 bucks @ $2.29/gal.
    13- Lots of space to place cups and bottles, and keep your stuff in.
    14- Very good heavy duty suspension
    15- Very nice looks

Things I don't like or may take time to get used to:
    1- I don't like the front grill (chrysler style) that came with the car. I ordered the sports grill over the internet ($215) and will install myself. It will look much sportier.
    2- If you have the roof rack installed, there is wind noise while driving on the highway, however, you can barely hear it if you have radio on (especially if it compensates for road noise) so I'm not bothered by it. Besides the roof rack is easy to take off and put back on.
    3- Transmission only has 4 speeds, but it responds well and haven't felt the need for a fifth gear. I guess I've been used to driving cars with 5 speeds before. I live in Texas were the terrain is mostly flat, so I don't have to worry about mountains anyway.
    4- I wish it had a coin holder -I can tell that's were Subaru has done some cost cuting! :c)
    5- I do wish the impreza OBS came with a moon roof, but don't really need it. It would look real nice though.
    6- The gauges look old fashion, although it lights up real nice at night. But I wish they were a bit more sportier looking.

Overall, I think its a great car to drive, has lots of utility, and looks real nice. I like especially the color combination sage green metallic with silver metallic. And the rims are nice with 17" tires.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    I expect the 4EAT tranny will be replaced by the new CVT now found in the new 2010 Legacy and Outback H4s in a couple of years.

Bob
    I also like that color, even though I often don't like two-tones. Those colors fall in the same family and it just works, for some reason.

Congrats.
    a lot of the new-model OBS around now. Someone in my complex just bought a silver one. The '08 revisions to Impreza has finally put this model on the map. :-)

• dpashkindpashkin Posts: 4
    Just bought an OBS yesterday. Dealt with Evanston Subaru in Skokie, IL was a GREAT experience. Got a 0% financing, paid 19.6 before taxes. :)
    Congrats. What color? Transmission?
  • Awesome!.. glad you got the 0% financing! ... up to how many months did you get it for? When I bought mine they were only offering 0% up to 24 months :(
    Enjoy your new car!
    I know, me too!!! Now they have 0% for 63 months. I wonder if it includes WRXs? Maybe I can have two Soobs. :-P

Am loving the OBS so far, and to my eye it looks SO much better with the two-tone paint than the other Imprezas do, I'm glad of my choice to go for the OBS instead of the Limited.

I am seeing a lot of Imprezas in my area now, about a 50/50 split between OBS's and Limited's, very few base models with the wheel covers. In fact I can't recall seeing a single base model wagon, have seen one or two sedans which I assume are getting out there because of the sweetheart lease deal.

• Well maybe the imprezas are more popular up north were ya'll snowbirds live. I have barely seen some impreza obs wagons here, and haven't seen a single sedan on the road yet. I guess people in TX are still in love with their trucks. My impreza obs is giving out 27 mpg though, so I'm as happy as a clown with it.
  • arghh, seems I'm not subscribed to this forum, weird.

I got an auto transmission and a green color, so it looks just like nightcrawler's one, up higher on this page
  • Got the max - 48 months. Actually, here's an interesting story.

We got the car on Tuesday evening and since we were at the dealership with our 10 month old and by the end of the whole ordeal the kid was pretty tired, we asked the mechanics to hurry up with cleaning and waxing the new car, so we could get out of there. So next day, I checked out the car in the day light and notice that they haven't really cleaned the roof - the glue from the plastic is still there. So I called the dealership and arranged to stop by on Friday to get that roof cleaned up. When I finally made it there on Friday, I was amazed to find their showroom nearly empty! More so, when I finally got a hold of they guy i was dealing with, he told me that they've been closing at midnight for two days straight and that they've broke all of the Illinois sales records!

Great news for Subaru, I suppose!
    Cash for clunkers...

I went to change the oil on my Miata and their showroom only had one car in it (vs. the usual 4).

It's a short-term gain, though. They keep running out of money.
  • Yep, I think its all because of the cash for clunkers program. Every dealer and their dog have been advertising the program like crazy... (even though not all people will qualify). But I also heard that dealers are taking away the rebates and just using the vouchers provided by the program..... kind of a way for them to make more moola.... but I went to pick up my plates at the dealer last week, and I saw they had a bunch of cars in the back with the word "clunker" written on the windshield. So people have definitely used this program. I myself used the clean air check program provided by Texas, where they give you up to $3500 for your clunker.... so I changed my 1989 nissan pulsar for an OBS. I did got the $3k voucher plus rebates, so I got a good deal I think. Anyway, we'll see how long the federal program lasts. It seems like they will run out of money again by next week.
  • Cool! congrats on your new car!! :shades:
    I wonder if my Miata would have qualified? I'd probably have to get a hybrid, though.
  • I don't know about the miata. I think the older model miatas would give just as good of an mpg as newer models. I think if you had to qualify for cash for clunkers, you would need to have an old suv, such an explorer, navigator, suburban or something similar where the mpgs are much lover than what you can get these days. But then, it never hurts to try.
    That's what I mean, though.

My '93 Miata was EPA rated 26/30.

You had to improve by 4 mpg to get the full credit, so it would have to be something in the 30s, and a new Miata would not do it - but a hybrid or a Fit would.

I just heard on the radio, though, that the IRS is saying the $4500 credit will be taxable. In a 28% tax bracket that means you'll owe $1,260 back.

The IRS never loses an opportunity to worsen its image.
  • On the cash for clunkers program rules, it states on #8 The CARS credit is not taxable to consumers.

And I heard the sales tax will be tax deductible.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,087
    Your car has to get 18 mpg or less (according to EPA combined rating) to qualify, at all...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• It seems that anyone who has owned a Ford Explorer model 1994 through 1999 qualifies with flying colors!
This discussion has been closed.