Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Is the Impreza built in Japan or the US?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The plant is in Gunma, Japan. Foresters are also built there.

Baja, Legacy, and Outback are built at SIA in Lafayette, Indiana.

-juice
  • I'd expect any model Subaru would demand a higher price in an area of the country that gets snow. but $18K with 20K miles!I'd have gone for the TS as well. I'm in Texas. Bought an '02 OBS in Nov. Had 12,800 miles. Is in excellent condition. Auto trans & several nice options. My two favorites being the upgraded speaker system & arm rest extender. I've kinda grown to like the carbon fiber look trim. but I'd never have ordered it. Too expensive. But I drove it away for $13,170+TTL. I do think I was in the right place at he right time though. After doing some comparison shopping, I think that was a pretty good price even for here.
    The AWD does come in handy down here in TX as well. We don't get much snow, but it rains so hard the roads can't drain it off as fast as it comes down. So it can get pretty dicey on the freeway. but this car handles it like nothing I've ever driven before. I love it.

Tuckerdog
    You got a steal, the original owner took a pretty big hit and you have a car that is barely broken in. Congrats.

-juice
  • Does the front passenger seat fold flat, like the new Malibu's does? And does anyone know how long an object can fit inside the Impreza with the back seat folded down and the front passenger seat upright? My thanks for the info.
    No, but there is a work-around.

Slide the front passenger seat forward, then recline it all the way. You have to remove the head rest.

I've fit very long lumber inside my Forester that way. You can insert it all the way into the passenger foot well. Use a tarp to keep the interior clean.

-juice
  • Between the Impreza TS and the Suzuki Aerio SX. Both are hatches, and I would get the Suzuki with all wheel drive. Cargowise, I think the Aerio has more room. But I wonder about reliability of the Suzuki, CR has insufficient data in its ratings. Costwise, the Suzuki wins hands down.
    I looked at the Aerio when I went to test drive an XL7.

IMO, the Subaru is more substantial. If I got in a wreck, I'd definitely want to be in the TS.

Also look at some details, the finished edges of the carpet, the welds in the door jambs. The Zook has more loose/sharp edges, it's a small detail but I see cheaper construction.

Aerio is very space efficient, tall and upright, and 140hp would probably still be adequate given the low price.

But if I could afford the TS, I'd get that.

-juice
  • gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    Hello, I'm new to this group because I'm contemplating a couple of different vehicles and I'm seriously considering the Subaru Impreza Outback as well as the Subaru WRX wagon particularly because the dealership is offering both vehicles below invoice until the end of the month with Sub. rebates applied.

My main question is has anyone tried carry a bike upright in the back with the rear seats folded down? I'm thinking I would remove the bike's front wheel and perhaps the seat/seatpost. I realize that the bike could easily be carried flat or on a roof rack, but if I want to carry it inside I also have to accommodate my two dogs (and wife). Thanks.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    Most people with Impreza wagons go with a roof rack or a hitch rack to haul their bike(s) along. I haven't tried it, but when this question comes up on other Subaru forums the consensus from those who have tried putting a bike in there is that only very small bike frames could conceivably fit inside standing upright with the front wheel removed.
    I have a hitch and the hitch mounted bike rack, it's great. It even tilts out of the way to open the rear hatch.

-juice
  • TS owners: If you want to add the handy map lights that Subaru somehow forgot to install in your TS wagon, it's quite easy. I put in a set this weekend and will be doing a writeup with instructions... I'll post a link here.

Basically it involves getting power from the dome light wiring under the passenger side a-pillar trim, cutting a suitable hole in the headliner above the rear-view mirror, then screwing the map light assembly in using the holes which are already there, awaiting your new map light.

utahsteve
    Way to go Steve. I wouldn't mind having lights for the vanity mirrors.

-juice
  • ozman62ozman62 Posts: 229
    Steve, Waiting with bated breath... Is this a TS specific part?
    Owen
  • http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/mods/maplights/
    Check it out, let me know what you think.

Owen: It is definitely not a TS specific light, in fact you need to ask for the part for a WRX or OBS and you may get dumb looks from parts counter folk if you ask them for a map light for the TS. FYI I'm talking about the U.S. versions of these cars, I can't guarantee the Canadian version is identical. You lucky folks get some stuff we don't get, of course we get roof racks on our TS's :)

utahsteve
    Great documentation, but I'd love to see the "after" photo.

I was doing something similar to my Miata but was interrupted half way through and never finished. I guess I should...

-juice
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    Looks good. That and the cargo area light being left out of the TS always seemed like somewhat chintzy omissions to me. However, I've heard that adding the cargo light to a TS is also a fairly easy task.
  • The cargo area light is quite easy to install, moreso than the map lights. It was one of the first things I added to the TS.

Chintzy omissions, I agree, but bigger profits for Subaru. Add a few hundred dollars of content to the TS, paint it differently, call it an Outback Sport, and sell it for $1200 more. And sell a lot more of them because (most) people want that extra content and don't want to add it themselves. Pretty smart, actually.

utahsteve
This discussion has been closed.