Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Hey!.

I have a 2008 Impreza Sport. I drove through the second half of last winter in Vermont with the original all-weather tires and it was just fine! I have a half mile driveway which is not well-plowed and did not get stuck once. It was also quite nice even on ice with extremely sensitive ABS. Although the ground clearance is not immense, it zooms through the snow. There is nothing like Subara AWD.

I bought this car rather than the Legacy Outback for styling and handling (It is a blast to drive and handles well in traffic when I venture down to the gas-powered flatlands. For the price, this model had a better stereo, upholstery, heated seats. I take my golden retriever puppy in the back. His crate fits with one seat down. I leave the roof rack off unless I need it, as it squeals a bit in the wind when empty and adds 2mpg to the rating!

This winter I plan on getting my usual studless Hakapellitas. They are just fine on any car. My decision is whether to buy rims and a different size tire- 205-55-16. This is listed as an alternative with some Subaru websites. These would be cheaper and more available than the 17 inch narrow tires. The other question would be whether the winter wheels will need some sort of electronic hook-up with the tire pressure monitoring system. (Wish it did not have that!) I plan on calling several dealers for advice before I make a decision.

Good luck making your decision! I don't think you can go worng either way. Just test drive and get the one that meets your needs and your sense of fun!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,273
    The smaller rim diameter will result in less expensive tires. 17" tires are becoming more and more available, but from my research 16's resulted in a larger selection and were typically $15-20+ cheaper per tire.

My friend has a standard 08 Impreza, and I am fairly certain 15" rims will fit on that, at least according to Tire Rack (as an alternate size). 15's are even less than 16's.... I am not sure if there is a hardware (brake) difference between the two trims.

Super sensitive ABS, huh? That would be the poor traction of the stock tires. ;) Yeah, one can get around just fine with the stock tires, but you may find yourself blown away by the car's performance with those Nokians.

As for the TPMS, you can get sensors for the second set of rims, but you have to get them programmed (I think this must be done at a dealer) for the car. Not sure if you then have to get the originals re-programmed in the spring. You can also run them sans TPMS sensors, if you can stand the (!) on the dash all winter. :shades:
  • arutharuth Posts: 2
    Looking for an economical winter car - found a 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback for $4,275 with 156,000 miles. Am I nuts to borrow money for two years for a car with such high mileage? It has a clean title and is a local repo. Never owned a Subaru. Any words of wisdom out there?
  • Hi!

I have had quite a few Subarus, including 3 Imprezas. They are great cars for winter and I have found them to be much more dependable than the Legacy. I sold a 1995 Impreza with 160,000 miles 3 years ago for $2200. That was a pretty good deal for the buyer, but I knew that it had been driven by my high school kids, so I wasn't going to promise anything for future repairs.

Currently, my son in college is driving my 2000 Impreza RS coupe with 170,000. It has had its share of repairs because of his driving style, such as shocks,springs, and manual transmission, but it always starts and goes anywhere with snow tires.

The mileage is not such a big deal if you don't plan on putting a huge amount of miles on yourself. You should be able to get 2-3 years more out of the car. Have a local garage check it for rust, undercarriage issues, suspension, and basic engine stuff, including belts. Find out a little about the driver. Makes sure he didn't do pizza or newspaper deliveries!

The PRICE seems a bit high, so check out Kelly Blue Book online values for your area and then offer a little over the wholesale price. The seller will let you know if they are interested or think you are crazy! If the car hasn't sold for a month, they may be surprisingly interested. Sometimes I print out the values to show the seller.

Put some winter tires on, such as Nokians and you will be able to drive anywhere this winter!

Hope this helps.
  • arutharuth Posts: 2
    Thanks for the great feedback! Deciding now between the Impreza and a 2001 Forester with "only" 96K on it. Looking forward to becoming a Subaru owner!
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    I have a 2001 Forester with 184,000 miles on it. I'm the original owner, and have maintained it religiously since new. It's had a few issues, but is an otherwise great vehicle. If the one you're looking at has been well maintained, it may be a car you can depend on for many more years. Good luck!

Len
  • Congrats on your decision! Hey I snowboard too and love it! :shades:
    It depends highly on the car itself. Subaru vehicles are fantastic, in my experience, but if they have problems, they can be a complete nightmare. In particular, watch out for head gasket issues. The Forester, at 96K, may be due for a major service (is it 105K on the Forester, as with the Legacy/Outback?) including timing belt. That is several hundred dollars at a shop, so factor that into the purchase price. For me, known history on a used car is quite valuable. Without it, I have less confidence in the vehicle's apparent condition and therefore will not pay as much for the car.

I put nearly 140,000 on my 1996 Outback after purchasing it at 83,000, and had I not lost it with 220,000 miles on it, I would likely still be driving it today with nearly 260,000 on the ticker. Were I not able to do much work on it myself, though, I would have put in a few thousand in repairs over the years to get there. As it was, I would say that I spent, on average, about $500 a year in maintenance and repairs during the six years I owned it.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I would check for oil leaks and maybe do a compression test on that 2.5l boxer engine, to make sure the head gaskets are still sealing properly.

I agree that the Outback Sport was a bit overpriced.
  • Hi all,

I'm looking for a Subaru Impreza Outback Sport for my son. Can anyone contribute suggestions/comment about this car?

Thanks in advance.

Terence
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    Great vehicle. I did the same when my son got his driving license back in 1996. He's now 30 and on his second Outback Sport, an '06 model.

Bob
    Other than two-tone paint and a roof rack, is there anything unique about the OS trim? A friend of mine recently (Sept) purchased an '08 Impreza hatch, base model, and it seems like a solid little car. The price was pretty good, too.
    Yes, the Outback Sport gets the AWP (heated seats, heated outside mirrors and a windshield deicer). In the Impreza model line, you have to move up to the WRX Premium in order to get those features, as they're not available on any other Impreza.

Once you've experienced bun warmers, nothing else will do. :)

The Outback Sport also gets 17" wheels with 205/50x17 tires and a slightly raised suspension. Other non-turbo Imprezas get 16" wheels and 205/55x16 tires.

Bob
  • Hi!

I have a young adult son- 22. We have had numerous Subarus and they are all great, safe cars. I have found the Impreza to be much more reliable than the Legacy model.

I have a 2008 Impreza Outback Sport of my own and love the handling in city traffic and mountain snow. Just today, it saved my butt on my icy driveway...I hit the brakes and turned sideways, but with a few turns on the glare, the wheels caught and I was on my way to work. I have driven 26K with no problem whatsoever.

My son drives my old 2000 Impreza RS 2.5 Coupe. It has 180 K miles and is just starting have some big issues. Probably because he is a rough driver. But, other than suspension, because of his driving, it always starts, drives safely, and doesn't cost me too much in repairs.

i think that Subarus are worth the extra money for the AWD, handling, and low repair cost. If you are buying a used car, check the record for # of owners and any questionable issues.
    Hahah; that's ironic. The "Outback" gets 17" wheels. :P

Thanks for relaying that, Bob. I did not realize the all-weather package was so limited in its availability. I have never cared for seat heaters, but the heated mirrors are wonderful!
    Yeah, in the Impreza lineup only the WRX Premium, Impreza 2.5 GT and the Outback Sport get the AWP.

As for heated seats, I love them, and won't likely buy a car without that feature; same with the heated mirrors.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I would not be surprised if the seats are mounted a little higher, too.

I once measured Outback vs. Legacy, and the seats was a whopping 4" higher up. I know the suspension accounts for half, but not all of that difference.

I wonder if the OBS is the same way? Higher mounted seats?
    Are you sure the seats weren't just manually raised with the height adjustment lever? I find it hard to believe the mounting for the seats are different.

Bob
  • Thanks for everyone's input. This may not be important, I found out the 09 model did not come with the keyless entry. Am I wrong?
    My '09 WRX Premium has keyless entry. I think the other models have that feature, but am not sure.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.