Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• celeste2celeste2 Posts: 362
    The new Cd player goes in the little cubbie below the present tape deck, and the old tape deck receptacle is there as a dummy?
  • ramonramon Posts: 825
    it fits on where the old tape deck was. That is if you want to replace the tape deck. Actually u can put the CD player wherever. above the cubby hole or below. It's like a tray really. Think of it as an oven trays. There are 2 layers right? U can either put it on the top or below. It's a matter of placememnt.

However if you want to retain the tapedeck, u would need to get a CD player capable of piggybacking with the stock tape deck. which means it needs some kinda cable to connect with the tape deck and a smaller wiring harness to draw power from the tape deck. Why would u want to keep the tape deck anyways?
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Just a reminder of the Subaru crew chat tonight at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern. Yours truly will be hosting once again. Looking forward to it, and I hope to see some of you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I wouldn't keep the tape deck because I can burn my own CD's at home, but was trying to get a mental picture of exactly what space it would fit into. Hope you're enjoying some spring weather now, it should be starting to warm up a little!
    spring is here. and it's so warm! it's only 11C!!! I'm gonna go blading after work! wahoooo!!! I don't know why, but I am so happy whenever spring comes. I grew up in a sunny country but summer time in Canada is always so joyous for me. I should be so used to the sun by now right?!
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    Since we have a '96 Impreza Outback and a '01 Forester S Premium, I was curious as to how the new OBS compared with either of our current Subarus.

In short, I liked it a lot. The power seemed more than adequate. It's certainly no WRX (I've driven two of those), but it's no slug by any means. I absolutely blew away a CRV at an impromptu stoplight grand pix.

The car handles better than either of our current Subarus. I really wish the All-Weather-Package that our Forester has, was available, however.

BTW, the dealer I visited had a yellow WRX there with WR blue super graphics plastered all over the vehicle. It was the same graphics used on the factory rally racers. It looked hideous. I've always said there is no such thing as a bad color, only bad color combinations and/or usage. This car perfectly illustrated that point perfectly. It was Aztec-ugly.

Bob
    Did it shift any differently/smoother than your other vehicles? After almost a year, mine's getting a little easier to get into reverse, it used to be a little difficult. (2000 OBS)
    are automatics. However, I've driven many a 5-speed Subaru, and the new Imprezas are the best shifting I've ever driven. Not at all "rubbery" like earlier models. The shifts are precise and direct—Honda-like, if you will.

Bob
  • momgraymomgray Posts: 18
    Hi - and let me be upfront with my THANKS for any help/suggestions for this.

I have been eyeing an 1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport here in the Windy City (actually, just north of it), and if the test drive shows no problems, I think I have some good numbers for negotiating ... except one:

It looks like it has an aftermarket ('cause I don't see it listed as an option here at Edmunds when checking the TMV) power sunroof. Does anyone know how much value that adds (roughly, I know it can be a regional thing)?

Other details:
    White exterior, gray interior
    36.2K miles
    Auto (okay, not preferred, but as I don't know how to drive a stick ....)
    airbags, power windows, powerlocks, cruise, A/C, CD/Cassette player, tilt steering, cruise, luggage rack, ABS, fog lights, tinted privacy glass (does this also affect price?) and the power sunroof.

The dealer (a subaru dealership) is asking 13995
    I was thinking of shooting for 12500 ... Edmunds estimates the "Dealer Retail" as 12045 (without the sunroof) and that's what I'm basing the 12500 on. Now, if I could get it for closer to the 9600 (+ sunroof value) trade in value that would be great.

I really appreciate any comments and suggestions - and hope to relatively soon be a proud owner of an Outback Sport :-)

Julia
    The sunroof is definitely an aftermarket item. Subaru never has offered a sunroof on that model.

I can't speak to the price, as I have not shopped that model per say. We have a '96 Impreza Outback automatic; and it's been a great, trouble-free car.

It's a shame you can't afford (or don't want) a new '02 Outback Sport. That would be my choice hands down.

Bob
    Be sure to really check that sunroof to see if there are any signs of it leaking. Or, ask to take it for a test drive and run it thru a car wash. I just have never heard of an Outback Sport having a sunroof. You're sure that's not a fullsize Outback wagon? Even if it is, I'd sure as heck want to check the water tightness on a sunroof of a used car! What if that's why they got rid of it? It seems to have pretty low miles.

Here's another source of information: go to Yahoo and search under clubs for "Outback Sport". There you can ask members who have several different year models of Outback Sport, and they are probably more knowledgeable than I am since I've only owned one for a year.

However that power sunroof has me baffled....
    I know of a few OBS owners who went aftermarket with the sunroof. IMHO, I rather have the mfg do the sunroof as they would keep to specifications and bending rigidity of hte car. aftermarket ppl.... it's really iffy.
    rsholland : the new OBS is more expensive now. Still a good buy tho for those who can afford it. Otherwise the previous gen OBS are still a great piece of machinery.
  • momgraymomgray Posts: 18
    I will certainly take it to a car wash - excellent idea to test how it does with water.

I know it's certainly an outback sport edition, so the power sunroof is probably (unless someone from the dealership had enough pull) aftermarket.

I appreciate the feedback - while I would like to buy a newer model, there are budget constraints, as well as my own personal opinion that it's hard to justify spending $$ for new car smell when the value will go down tremendously as soon as you drive it off the lot. Of course, if Subaru ever offered something like 0.9 for 60 months with no down, I might get over that :-)

Thanks again.
    I agree. But in a "perfect world," I'd rather have the new OBS.

Bob
    I'd get a 911 Turbo Carrera 4 and say buh buy! ;-)

hey the new STi might be out as soon as 2003!!! whoohooo!!! gotta start saving money again.
  • brekkebrekke Posts: 304
    I'm also debating to go WRX vs. OBS. I know I don't 'need' a WRX, and I don't really want a turbo. I'm just looking for a less noisy (than my current car) ride that handles well and has plenty of pep. According to Bob the OBS is a fun ride but WRX owners seem to be having a blast. I don't want to spend all that money on a new car and regret not having enough power for passing, merging or whatever.

I usually drive 65-70mph(assuming 55mph speed limits), I don't race and I don't know if I would do any mods. Plus the extra $5000 and assuming extra insurance costs would be a stretch for me. I guess I'm just looking for assurances that with the OBS I'll be able to keep up with traffic/execute emergency manuevers,etc. in other areas where posted speed limits reach 75mph.

-Caroline
    sure u will be able to keep with traffic with your the new OBS. even the 2.2l OBS with a manual is pretty peppy. I would actually go with a manual 2.2l OBS than an auto 2.5l OBS.
    How're you finding your 2.5 at highway speeds? Much different than the 2.2? You going to add on a turbo? They are expensive, that's for sure.

The new Car & Driver has an article on the 2002 Porsche 911 GT2 (456 hp). That's kind of a perfect world, except I'd hate to have to worry about scratches on something like that!!
    By the way, if you do run that car thru the car wash thought I'd warn you that some water will get in the front windows just a little near the front. I always hand wash mine but water restrictions forced me to use a car wash a few months back and a little water squirted in. I heard from some other OBS owners this can happen with high pressure water against frameless windows, so just have a paper towel ready.

In the real world of driving you will not have water squirting in your windows that hard, and it never leaks when we hand wash with a hose. Of course, the sunroof may only leak under high pressure, too. It would be nice if you could check that sunroof with a regular hose first, just running water over it.

Just thought I'd warn you so you don't get put off by it.
    it's a perfect world, my 911 turbo C4 would auto fix itself from scratches and talks to me in a seductive voice. =)
    my RS is just fine. Installed that ganzflow intake on and put back my 18mm rear sway bar on. Just in time for the weekend's autoX. Needless to say, it kicked rear [non-permissible content removed]. came out second in my class out of 5 cars. Also bea ta whole bunch of FWD cars mod or stock. And I'm still using my crappy RE92s. Can't wait to pu ton some serious rubber! =) the ganzflow rocked 110%!!! For the money, I can't ask for more! Installation is simple.
    Turbo will come in time. But as always, that comes later after I get my priorities straightened out.
This discussion has been closed.