Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    Did you check the spare tire compartment? My dealer had left some tools and parts lying on top of the tire, which was giving me loud squeakage only over bumps. (Of course my dealer couldn't "reproduce" the problem before I figured it out myself)
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    try removing the cargo cover and see if it still makes the noise going over a bump. If it doesn't, you may want to check where the cover latches into the car. I did find that once, but it was in a Legacy. Worth a shot for sanity??

Patti
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If you have a 2nd person in the car, have them put their finger on everything, try to trace the noise, until it stops. Whatever they were touching when it stopped is the source.

-juice
  • tberret1tberret1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi: This is the first I've seen your responses to my inquiry regarding oil leaks in 2002 outback sports. Thanks for all ideas - turns out there was a defect in the intake manifold - a whole new short block has been put in. I'm hoping for the best! t.berret
    didn't somebody mention that it is possible to wash or rinse the cabin air filter and reuse it for cheapskates like me?
    Actually, just vaccum the dirty side of it. I wouldn't get it wet.

Mine didn't get all that dirty, but I've seen some that were FILTHY. I wouldn't re-use those.

-juice
  • kdsmithjrkdsmithjr Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering if there is a problem or that I'm just unlucky. I own a 2002 Outback Sport, about 6 months old, that has 15k miles on it. About a month ago I noticed that my passenger side view mirror seemed loose, it wasn't just loose, the outside of it had (somehow) broken inside so it would not stay put. The mirror itself worked fine and had no problems electrically. My dealer said it looked like it was hit (though no marks were on it or on my passenger side door). Not feeling like arguing, I paid $140 for a new mirror and one hour's labor to install it on the passenger side. Now, just one week later, the same thing happened on the driver's side mirror. This time I took it to my selling dealer and told him I heard a "thunk" that I thought meant something had hit the driver's side door. I heard this just before pulling into a convenience store where I immediately noticed the problem (loose and would not remain in place) on the driver's side mirror. This time, though (remember this time it's my own dealer), the service manager says that he's seen a couple of subies with broken sideview mirrors and that the contraption that compresses the spring inside the mirror mounting is under too much stress and, occasionally, pops off--making the whole contraption not stay in place on the mounting.

My question: has anyone experienced this??

BTW, my selling dealer is replacing the driver's side mirror under my new vehicle warranty.
    This is the first I've heard of this. My car is 1 yr. old.
  • celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    been kinda busy. Was talking to the local Subaru mechanic (member of the I-club) down at the dealership where he works. He had a WRX muffler for $40.00 and said take it, put it on, try it, and if I don't like it I can switch out for my stock one and bring it back to him. On the I-club a guy did this with his OBS but it involved some welding. Now I can see it won't be such an easy switch back.

Should I put on the WRX muffler or just wait until the day I research and do more of the exhaust system?? Any thoughts???
    I'm not sure how much a muffler alone will do. It's not the most restrictive part of the exhaust.

But it'll probably sound cool.

-juice
    if that's the case, and especially if I have to pay to get it welded, I'll probably forego it. I have a friend with a garage and will charge me nothing to bolt it on, but don't think he can weld. I'll see what happens when I talk to him.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    and the Jetta wagon, Focus wagon, Matrix, and the Protege 5.

The Jetta won, and the OBS was way down the list, perhaps even last(?). All but the Focus were *recommended,* and the only reason the Focus wasn't was do to its many recalls.

All the vehicles rated *very good,* and were very close in scores.

Bob
    What criteria in their estimation was the OBS weak on? It just really gripes me that for all the problems the VW has (just listen to owners on these boards), the reviewers drool over it. I used to think, maybe interior quality, but I've read about plenty of owners that say it just looks rich, parts of the interior fall off and don't last--how much, I wonder is VW paying these guys?????
    didn't handle as well as other Imprezas that CR has tested (WRX and RS), it only got 22 mpg, and the interior space was not as good as some of the others in the test.

CR did not say they didn't like it, just that they liked the others better.

Keep in mind, the OBS had by far the largest engine and AWD—hence the lower gas mileage. As usual. they praised the AWD.

Again, all the scores were very close, and they all rated "Very Good" in CR's judgment. All but the Focus (because of all the recalls) got CR's "Recommended" check mark too.

They were all automatics, and the winning Jetta had the 1.8 turbo, hooked up to the 5-speed automatic. The Jetta was by far the quickest of the bunch. The Matrix was also AWD, whereas the nearly identical Vibe was FWD.

Bob
    can you recall specifically what they thought was a weakness in the handling?

Oh yeah, as I recall, even the Outback wagon has been put down for what they perceive as a weakness in handling and I just don't get it?
    It wasn't so much a "weakness." They didn't say it handled poorly; it's just that the RS and WRX were better. They felt it was do to the raised suspension, which makes sense (slightly higher center of gravity). Same is true for the (Legacy) Outback.

Bob
  • capucinocapucino Member Posts: 1
    My older car in the family just got rear-ended, so I am in the market for a new car. My wife's car is a Subaru Outback Sport. The more I look around at the dealerships, (listen to all the baloney), read the reports such as CR, etc. I keep coming back to the Sabaru. We just love the car and it looks like we will soon own two.
    The OBS hit 60 a full 1.5 seconds quicker than the only other AWD alternative, FWIW.

Joseph: we won't stop you. In fact, I did just that recently, purchase a 2nd Subie, that is. I have a 1998 Forester L and we bought a 2002 Legacy L for the wife.

Want some more incentive? We paid just $17,827 for AWD, ABS, cruise, keyless, and power everything. I've added alloys and a 6CD changer and my total cost is still just $18,150.

Try that at VW, for even $6 grand more. You won't find it, not with AWD. Heck, maybe even without AWD.

-juice
    aren't you hankering just a LITTLE bit for one a' them new Foresters? I've seen them on the lot, but saw my first one on the road today. It was so attractive I couldn't take my eyes off it! Like, WOW!
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I second your 03'Forester impression. I find myself very attracted to the style freshening.

Stephen
    Yes, but I'm waiting for a turbo. The new ones are a little lighter, but I want even more of a good thing.

Forester just aced the IIHS crash tests, and was named a Best Pick.

-juice
    find the new Forester pleasing but I too would like to see more power.

Yo celeste! I also get miffed that the OBS never gets any lovin'. Are we AWD brainwashed?
    No, every one else is FWD brainwashed! ;-)

-juice
    brekke: I love the way you put that. You right, girl, we just don't never get no lovin'!!!

Juice: what about those RWD heads???
    RWD is okay, as long as it's not your primary winter vehicle. ;-)

-juice (who drives a Forester and a Miata)
    isn't your son a RWD-head?

Yeah, that's right, FWD brainwashed. What was I thinking?
    Yes, he is a RWD-head--by the way, he just landed an internship at the BMW dealer. Will start soon.
    Cool gig.

-juice
    yeah, the new 7-series BMW has so many buttons and doodads which confuse people that when you're hired they give you some kind of computer game that helps you learn all about how to use all these perks. I read a car review in the paper which detailed how aggravating all this was for a new owner to learn. He doesn't think he'll ever want a Beemer unless he gets an outstanding deal on one there he can't refuse, though, as he really loves the older Porsche 911's.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Saw a '02 Red Outback Sport today with PA plates. Nice color :-)
    Anyway, I pulled along side and toot'd my horn, smiled and waved. Even nudged my GF to do the same. Suddenly the OBS just disappeared from our view from the passenger side (driver hit the brakes). I looked through my rear view mirror and saw that it had pulled to the curb, and the occupants immediately got out to check the car all over as if something was wrong.
    :D [devilish grin]... did I do that?
    Figured I'd better take a detour and turn off at the next corner. They probably thought me a prankster.

-Dave :D
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I was on the highway in my OBS and some people pulled along side and started yelling and pointing, and I ignored them for like five minutes, but they did not go away, so I pulled down my window, and it turns out they were just trying to help me out by pointing out that my hood was open!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• cahcahcahcah Member Posts: 4
    I was having a hard time deciding between the TS Sport Wagon, the OBS Wagon, and the Mazda Protege5. The CR report, along with Edmunds Road Test of the OBS, makes me want to scratch it off the list. Does it really handle that much worse than the TS Sport? I like the looks of the OBS better, but the handling criticism bothers me. I wonder if there are any mods to improve the handling.

Also, are there any changes in store for the 2003 models? I'm assuming there won't be, but other than pricing I haven't heard anything.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    No offence but CR is not a "car" magazine and thus I wouldn't go by there description. Go out and drive em yourself. As for the Protege, no AWD so I'd knock that off my list.

-mike
    The only other car that had AWD was the Matrix, and it was significantly slower.

You can definitely change the handling, even with a simple sway bar upgrade ($80-200), so it doesn't take a lot of money.

-juice
    As mentioned above, these guys also test vacuums and washers--and I don't even think much of their reviews on those, to tell the truth--anyway, let me tell you my story.

One day my 17 year old is driving my 2002 OBS and I know he can do some pretty neat stuff, so when he said, "Mom can I try something?" Of course I say, "Well what do you mean?" And he says something like, "Nothing much, just let me try." I naively say OK. Well, there is not any traffic on the 4 lane road we're on, and he makes a sudden sharp 90 degree turn at probably 45 or 50 mph. I almost peed my pants, scared the crap out of me, but I can say, the car was like glue!! Very stable, took the corner like a real champ.

The OBS is a little higher than most small cars so the CR guys not being aware of the maneuvers the car is capable of, probably felt a little less stable with the height and suspension. But for everyday driving, you will not be likely to put the car through paces like that.

The Protege is rough driving. Someone said they felt their teeth would rattle when going over bumps. I did drive a little Miata last summer and felt how rough that felt on bumps, so only can compare to that, but it is an issue. The suspension on the Miata can't be as refined if the ride is so rough.

My OBS feels smooth on rough brick roads. Just take both cars out on a very rough stretch and see what you think! The OBS rides more like a little luxury car... just my 2 cents worth...
  • duckguniduckguni Member Posts: 6
    I am considering purchasing 2002 OBS. Edmonds.com says that its TMV is $18,811(automatic transmission). Can I buy it under that price?
    And when is the best time to buy 2002 obs? Aug.? or Sept.?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    better ride out there for sheer fun, than that of the OBS! The only thing I ever wished a little improved on mine was the amount of road noise that made it inside, but I also would not have wanted it to be heavier with sound insulation, so all in all, I would say they got it exactly right.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Man, my Volvos were always very heavy and VERY loud!! Man, there was so much noise going over bumpy roads you couldn't hear conversation. I guess that's why to me the OBS is so quiet, my point of comparison was so extremely loud!!! But I am very impressed driving on some of the old uneven brick roads we have around here.
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Been following this stuff about the OBS handling vs RS, TS, WRX. Can't see how it would not handle as well as TS-16" vs. 15" wheels. As a matter of fact the 16/55/205 setup is the same as WRX and RS. Also the "raised suspension" is only .2" higher than WRX 6.1" vs. 6.3". I have never seen any car mag say the WRX was too high to handle well. (And it does-- I own a WR Blue 5 speed WRX wagon.) My slighly biased impression is that the WRX is the most fun wagon in the universe. Having said that if I had not been able to afford it then the OBS would have been a no-brainer. I loved what Subaru did to it in 2002 with the upgraded wheel/tire combo and engine. I just wish that they gone all the way and dropped the OBS designation, gone with a monochrome paint job, put disk brakes in back and called it an RS wagon. (OK lets face it I like flashy, World Rally Blue, hood scoop and rear wing)

TWRX

PS, has everyone seen pictures of the new WRX wagon in the bright limited edition "Sonic Yellow"? I hate to say it but I often wonder if the bright colors really help sell the Mazda MP 5 wagons. There are lots of MP 5s in red or yellow locally.
    On i-club.com someone posted a picture of a wagon in that color. You could go there and do a search using the color name, and probably find the photo, it was only about a week ago.

My comment was that this was indeed a color to compete with the Mazda's, at least what I could see from the photo and I'm sure it's even better in person!
    for photos of the new yellow WRX:

www.spimotorsports.com/2003.htm

On i-club.com I found several different threads about this new WRX searching with the phrase "sonic yellow". You can go there, too!

I like that particular yellow much, much better than the soft pastel used on the early cars.

-juice
  • cahcahcahcah Member Posts: 4
    Is it okay to let the dealer install options like a spoiler and splashguards? Many car sites seem to think that letting a dealer install stuff is a bad idea. If I get an OBS I definitely want a spoiler added to make it look less like a typical wagon. Unfortunately, no dealers in my area have vehicles with them in stock.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    IMO, a dealer added spoiler would be fine. A dealer installed mine in '97 and I don't have any complaints. Just keep an eye on it over the course of the warranty and get them to fix it if there are any problems.

-Dennis
    Dealer installed options are fine, and should be covered by warranty. I think that's if they are installed within 30 days of purchase, something like that.

-juice
    me too. Imagine this car with nice darkly tinted windows... yes, this is a much better color to compete with some of the hot yellows out there!
    I'm thinking of selling my OBS(for financial reasons) and getting a used Forester...crazy?

I've seen a 98 L, a/t, 71K for $7900 and a '00? 65K for $9995, just in the local paper. Both prices are thousands less than TMV.

Is this a foolish idea since my car will be paid off in a couple of months? (What I really wanted to do is sell my OBS, drive my old car until it dies, and get a used WRX or whatever I could afford in a few years.)
    Holy cow, those prices are way low. In the DC area I don't think I've ever seen Forester dip below $10 grand.

It's a tough call. Your 2002 is under warranty and it's been good to you. Any used car is a gamble, and probably the warranty is gone or nearly gone.

I say play it safe, keep the 2002 and milk the old car for all it's worth. You don't want two old cars, neither you can rely on 100% (old age on one, unknown history on the other).

-juice
    yes, my 2002 has been good to me, darn it! (Although I'm on my 3rd air-assist injector valve.)
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    of extremely low prices, they could be results of a flooded car or other hidden damage.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.