Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• mmathur1mmathur1 Posts: 2
    Hello Scott,

Hope you received your new car and are enjoying it thoroughly !

Do you mind telling me which state you live in? The price of 18029 with freight seems excellent compared with what I have of 18415. I am wondering if I could get a quote from your dealer and use it to bargain a lower price on my subaru outback sport.

Thanks and have fun !
    Mala
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    Resounding "yes" on the 27" TV question. I did exactly the same thing in my WRX wagon a couple of months ago. Took home a JVC 27" TV in its box. Had to fold the seat down because of the sloping tailgate but once I did, I had plenty of room for additional "things".

Stephen
  • action303action303 Posts: 17
    Well, I got my new 2002 Midnight Black Pearl OBS. Everything is as good or better than I hoped! It's much more fun to drive than my previous car ('93 Nissan Sentra). I don't have any more general things to say about it ... I knew I liked it when I test drove it and looked around at it, and I still do :) It's got nice punch, and it corners very very well (at least it seems that way to me). I've noticed some people glancing at the car (especially people in other Subarus) and that always feels nice ;) The paint is also cool ... for those of you that don't know, the black paint has some deep blue sparkly qualities to it. When the sun's shining, some of the car looks blueish, and some looks blackish.

Here are some comments on the features I chose:

Spoiler - looks great, seems heavy duty (although it's plastic)

Rubber floor mats - very thick, should be worth the money (the regular floor mats were also included)

Cargo net - just what you'd expect

Sound system (subwoofer/amp, premium speakers, tweeters) - Excellent! Much better than I expected, although I'm not a car audio professional. I think it sounds great and can go very loud (but in a pleasant way). The bass and highs are very well defined. It's my favorite part :) They also threw in the regular speakers (in a box) in case I need them.

Tailpipe cover - looks kinda cool :)

Armrest extension - nice feature, feels kinda cheap. Maybe I need to tighten it down or something... The lower compartment is stupidly shaped so that it only fits a couple CD cases. Thankfully I have a visor CD holder to use instead.

If anyone has more specific questions, I'll try to answer them. I also plan to take some hi-res pictures of the car. I'll post the URL here.

mmathur1: The dealer I quoted is Doyle Subaru in Rochester (actually Webster), NY. Another place to check prices is using Van Bortel Subaru's online pricing .. try http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com. That's where I bought my car, after forcing them to beat Doyle Subaru's price. Print that price out and tell your dealer to beat it, or you'll drive to Rochester to get your Subaru. Good luck!

• baliflybalifly Posts: 11
    Hi Celeste,
    Just got back from fishing trip, caught some trouts. Release most of them, kept two for dinner:))

I was able to test drive the 2001 OBS, very nice. Also rode an Xterra to a remote 4 wheel drive lake, very different. I like the idea of power outlet in the rear Model 2002, good for the air pump to inflate my float tube and or my Zodiac.
    Did not check if the 2001 has it too.
    Since I have so much gears, the Yakima basket would be great addition for cooler and Zodiac.

Have forgotten what the 2002 OBS looks like inside, especially the rear. What message number was it that had your pictures?

Regards,
    Balifly
  • celeste2celeste2 Posts: 362
    Balifly: The 2001 should have the power source in the back. The 2000 did. Here's the back end:

Here's the shape of the 2000/2001 back end:

• piyapiya Posts: 5
    Hey guys, guess what? I just picked up my new 5-speed Outback Sport from the dealer!
    Just had to tell you all before I went out to enjoy it! I appreciate the information and advice from you all.

Thank you, Celeste, for your posting about the differences between the OBS and the TS wagon. I took the plunge and went for the OBS. She's a beauty (platinum silver) and drives like a dream. So far, I love everything about it - but then, I'm very, very biased right now :):)!! I'll write in more detail about my impressions in a few days.

Mala, I recommend that you check the web site Autobytel.com for your OBS. The local autobytel affiliate in my area (Ann Arbor - Detroit) called me up within a day of my placing a request through them. I told him what I wanted, test-drove the car, and in less than 3 days, I was the proud owner of my OBS - and it was all haggle-free. They typically charge you 3.5% over the invoice. Depending on the options you choose, your price can vary, but it still is a lot under the MSRP. Good luck!

Talk to you all later....
    See that pic of the back of the 2000? Tug at your heart strings a little? Funny isn't it, even though you really love the car you have you still hold a special place for your old car....
  • ames2ames2 Posts: 1
    Hello everyone.

Thanks for taking time to read to this. I'm new to this edmunds discussion group. One sentance about me - I'm a woman, living in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am in the market for a car.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1995 Impreza Outback Wagon (2.2 liter 4 cyl) which has been well maintained (except it needs new rotors and a new windsheild). Here's the question...

...it has 95,000 miles. I know that Subarus can drive a long, long way. Would you buy this car? (Incidentally, I wish I could buy new, but I don't have the $).

Thanks for your help,

Ames2

(Desperately seeking a great used car!)
    I'm new to Subarus (one year), but will try to tell what I know and maybe Ramon or Ateixera will come on and add their two cents--do they have service records that show if the regualar maintentance was done on the car? I have a 2002 OBS. There is a drive belt that needs to be replaced at around 100,000 miles. I believe it's a rather costly but very necessary item to take care of. See if you can find out if this was done yet and when and if it needs to be done for that year of OBS. Here's a few more places you can go for information: go to Yahoo, click on "clubs" and then type in "Outback Sport", it will take you to an Outback Sport club there. There are quite a few members there will all different years of OBS which should be helpful. Another thing to try is i-club.com which is an Impreza owner's club. Most memebers there have Rally Sports, but alot of the same stuff applies since they are of the Impreza line. Also quite a few OBS fans frequent that club. You may also want to ask at those clubs if anyone in the Cincinnati area can recommend a good reasonable mechanic that works on Subarus. Maybe you could pay someone to give it a once-over. If it has a clutch, check to see that it's not shot. Good luck, I hope everything works to your advantage!
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Amy,
    A used Outback Sport isn't that easy to find. People just don't want to part with them. The NY Times recently had a JD Power article showing the OBS as the number 3 best used subcompact.
    I've seen a couple of postings on the i-club (that Celeste mentioned) from people that are looking for them, but can't find them. Also, check Consumer Reports and you'll see that the Impreza has a good reliability record.

Yes, try to find out the cars maintenance record. You may be able to get it by calling 1800Subaru3 and giving them the VIN. You could also try carfax.com.

Good luck,
    Dennis
  • ramonramon Posts: 825
    So true celeste....so true. It's that first love thingy. Same with one's very first girlfriend/boyfriend type thing.
  • brekkebrekke Posts: 304
    you paid 18029 including freight with all those options?

piya - congrats!

I'm waiting over 7 weeks for mine, and I am more than a little p'd off. I would have been satisfied if my salesman had made a couple of phone calls - with my VIN, which he said he would do, and to let me know where the car was, approximately, like Van Bortel did for action. I have heard nothing and he won't return my calls. I was told 6-8 weeks so I'm still on schedule but...no recommendation from me.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Caroline,
    Call 1800Subaru3 and see if they can help you. Also, let them know you're having problems communicating with the dealer.

Dennis
  • bobbierbobbier Posts: 1
    I've been lurking around these message boards for the past month while trying to decide what car to buy. I considered the Forester, the Impreza TS, Ford Escape, Protege5, and of course the OBS. After reading what everyone had to say and driving the OBS, it was a "no brainer" to go with the OBS. I was all set to buy at my local dealer who has been very helpful during the past month, answering my questions and letting me test drive the cars. He is a a set-price Subaru-only dealer. I checked prices over the internet both with intenet-only dealers and other dealers in my area and found my local one to be reasonable at 3% over invoice. Last Friday evening I was ready to sign the deal with the dealer, but decided to give it one more try and went to another Subaru dealer a little further away. I knew he had a car on his lot that had most of the features I wanted. After a few go arounds with a young salesman running back and forth to his manager, the manager finally came over and asked what it would take for us to seal the deal. I told him, he agreed, and we are now proud owners of a Platinum Silver 2002 OBS at $90 over invoice. I pick it up next Saturday! (So much for hassle-free dealers, and hooray for sales contests that a sales manager wants to win!) I added a moonroof since I've been driving a VW Cabriolet for the past 15 years and I love the feeling of the wind and sun. The only reason I'm getting a new car is because I wanted a 4-door vehicle since I now have 2 grandbabies and it is too difficult getting them in and out of the car seat with only 2 doors! I love the sporty look of the OBS and, after reading all the neat things you all have to say about it, can't wait to get my hands on it and get it out on the twisty mountain roads here in Northern California. I'll post some first impressions next week. I've never participated in message boards before, but reading what all of you have to say has been really informative and helpful in deciding on my new car. Thanks, everyone.
  • action303action303 Posts: 17
    Brekke: Nope, that $18029 price I mentioned in an earlier post was for the specific options that somebody else was talking about. I was comparing the prices a local dealer quotes compared to the price that person was quoted at their local dealer. I paid a bunch more than that, but I still got all the options at invoice (which I think any dealer should be willing to do!). I kept the pre-tax price a bunch below $20000.

Once I have time to take some pix of the new car, I'll post them, and give a more thorough review of my first week's impressions of the new OBS (very favorable).

-Action
  • brekkebrekke Posts: 304
    Thanks for the advice. I will try my dealer again tonight, and if I don't hear from him I will try the 800#. I don't want to make an "official" complaint until after the 8 week period. (Although I don't see why my car wasn't with action's shipment)
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Double check the model year. There was no 1995 Impreza Outback. The Legacy Outback came out in 1996.

But, anyway, it is a nice car and should last you a good long time.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think a used OBS is as good a bet as any. Just ask for maintenance records - it should have a new timing belt and a full 60k service, plus regular oil changes.

ramon: yes, I've been wanting one of those 240hp Forester GT (turbos) for years.

The OBS' EPA dimensions may be close, but it's the square shape that gives the Forester the edge in hauling. The OBS can fit a 27" TV, but the Forester can fit an entire oversized clothes washer (on its side) still in the box, hatch closed. The roof rack also has cross rails and there are rub strips on the roof.

Still, the OBS is close in size and a bargain given all the content (gotta love them 16" alloys). I drove one and found it was more refined than my Forester, had better seats, and generally moved up a notch or two over the previous generation. It's also very attractive.

The only bad thing was weight - it was no quicker than my Forester, really (not slow, I just expected it to be faster). If I had to pick nits, the carpet is still cheap, and the sun visors are cheap, cheap plastic.

But look at the price/content, and you can't beat it for a sporty little AWD wagon.

-juice
  • tinyivantinyivan Posts: 13
    I have a rather odd question for the group: What kind of image do you think the OBS portrays? For example:

Minivans: seen as kid-transports and are very family oriented,

SUVs: rugged and outdoorsy (although I think more and more they're viewed as modern-day minivans)

sports cars, sedans etc, all have their own images.....

However, the OBS has a unique niche in that it is not really a sports car (except maybe the WRX!), not really an SUV, and not really a station wagon. Just wondering what your views were on this. Thanks!

-TI
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    IMHO an OBS owner is outdoorsy like an SUV owner would be, except that they are much younger and not quite in their peak earning years yet. They are affluent and educated well beyond the norm, they own two dogs (or cats) and their name is Dave, with a few exceptions being Mikes. Females have a "K" in their name.

I'm serious.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.