Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• pgs1pgs1 Posts: 2
    I have heard that the impreza will have a complete redesign for MY2001. This will be available sometime in early 2000. Does anyone know if the Outback Sport will be redesigned as well? If so, any info on it? Spy shots? I would apreciate any information. Thanks
    PGS1
  • I have not heard (nor looked for)anything, but it can't be far off... Forester will be updated for 2001 (see topic #1120 - spy shots included).
  • ramonramon Posts: 825
    I'll believe when i test drive it. I doubt that the Impreza line will get a turbo or flat 6 as the Legacys and Outbacks will be getting them in 2001. So that year ain't the big thing for Impreza. SOA/SOC pls proof me wrong!!! I saw the spy pix of the OBS. Looks almost like a miniature version of the 2000 Outback. If you go to the yahoo OBS newsgroup, I believe there is a picture of it there.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I've heard that the Imprezza gets a full update for 2001, and that the 2.5l engine will become the standard engine, with the 2.2l dropped entirely from the SOA line. Also, the RS will be replaced by a 205hp WRX edition.

Styling on drawing renditions I've seen is more agressive, with a more wedgy profile.

Sounds sweet, eh?

The Legacy gets the H-6 in the fall on automatic Limited models, but the question remains what will the Forester get? A turbo or the H-6?

-juice
  • I'm thinking of buying a '00 OBS w/5 speed... I occasionally (once or twice a year) tow a 1200 lb trailer on longish (1000 mile) trips. Does anyone here have info on how I could expect the OBS to perform (I realize the tow rating is 1,500 lbs). The trailer has hydraulic brakes.

Also, for those with the factory hitch, how high is the top of the ball from the ground? What trailer wiring comes with the car (flat four plug)?

I've found this forum valuable in making my decision!
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    I have a little over 52K miles on mine. I bought in 2/96.
    Pros:
    1) I live in the country in NH, and only got stuck once - it wouldn't go up my unplowed driveway with 15" snow. It snowplowed of course.
    2) No breakdowns or unplanned maintenance.
    Neutral:
    1) Gas mileage in the high 20's.
    2) Stereo is OK, but needs some bass.
    3) The original Bridgestone Potenza tires lasted approx. 40K miles. They are only adequate in the snow - I bought separate wheels and Blizzak tires.
    4) If you do your own oil, make sure you only put the filter on "hand-tight-snug". I used a filter wrench once and cut the gasket, losing most of my oil in the next 20 miles.
    Cons:
    1) Seats are uncomfortable on long trips. End up with a sore lower back - I need to stuff a pillow there.
    2) Road noise is high, not great for long trips.
    3) Have a paint "blister", raised - not a chip, on the hood.
    4) Brakes cost $100, not $80 at NTB. Not bad for a foreign car I guess.
    I'v never tow anything with my OBS before, and tho it's rated to tow 1500lb. I would not go above 1000lb especially if you're gonna load tha car up.
    if you go to the yahoo Impreza Outback Sport Newsgroup, you might get some good enthusiast to help u out.
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/subaruimprezaoutbacksport
  • I have a quick, simple question. Can the 2.5 be had in the Sport Wagon?
    Maybe 2001 when the Impreza turbo comes in and an RS wagon might take over the OBS. Who knows.....
  • I'm looking for examples of great pricing on the Impreza OBS within the Sacramento-SF Bay Area. I've seen responses in regards to higher prices in CA compared to the rest of the country, and several price quotes in other areas besides my own. I'm interested in the 5-spd with premium- sound and security packages, fog lamps and alloy wheels.
  • Hi, anyone out there?

Been driving an 87 madza 323 for 13 years and just bought a lake property with a long dirt road. I am very anti SUV. 95% of them in Philly are a complete waste.

Didn't like the Forrester, mostly bc of the handling but loved the Impreza outback. Am condsidering a Legacy, but the outback is out of my comfort (price range). I am also leery of buying any new car in its first year of release.

Questions -

1 Is it at all possible to special order an Impreza outback WITHOUT that (near hideous) hood scoop? The dealer told me no.

2. How important is the heavy duty suspension if I will be dealing with a 0.75 mile dirt/gravel road, winter weather and no off roading, really. (Reason for query, can go to Legacy L and get bigger engine).

3. Is the gas mileage accurate for the 2.2 vs. the 2.5 L engines (they post only a minor diff here).

Thanks for your time!
  • 1. A regular impreza hood should fit and will colour match if you order in the obs color. But it's unlikely you can special order a hoodless obs, so you will have to pay twice. I can't see how you can like the overall styling concept of the obs but find the scoop offensive. I like the scoop on my Legacy GT.

2. All 2.2l Imprezas sold in North America are basically the same car. I'm pretty sure that the 'raised' stance of the obs is just down to larger tyres and clever styling (somebody please correct me if this is wrong). The legacy outback is however, lifted an inch or so compared to the regular legacy. If you need ground clearance, go with the forester or legacy outback. However, any Subaru will handle your dirt/gravel road.

3. I'd say seat-of the-pants performance of the 2.2l obs will feel better than any legacy, even with 2.5l engine due to lower weight. However the main difference is in the handling and space. If you need the loadcarrying ability of a wagon, the obs only just qualifies - it is more of a hatchback, with a cramped back seat and small trunk. If you need space, go with the legacy. If you want to have the most fun, go with the obs, or better still the 2.5l Impreza RS coupe/sedan or upcoming WRX turbo (the street-legal rally car coming later this year).

How about a used (97-99) Legacy Outback or GT - there are probably a few about by now at prices cheaper than a new obs.

Lastly, 5-speeds are the way to go to get the most out of the boxer 4 engine.

JP
    I own a 99 OBS and the extra 20mm (which is not much) comes from the stronger springs found on the OBS. The rest of the suspension are similar with other imprezas including the 2.5RS.
    Indeed, you would need a 5spd to harness the most power from the boxer engine. It's not that it's not capable with an auto. It's just more fun with a 5spd. I live in Soutwestern Ontario and we do get some snow. My OBS so far had no problem whatsoever going on fresh snow or bumpy condition.
    On gravel and dirt path, I don't see any problem for the OBS to handle. Most important are the tires. they are different from the RE92s found in other regualar Subarus. The OBS tires are more suited for rugged use. That is the difference with say a regular Impreza. Otherwise, with the right tires, I am sure any Impreza can handle the conditions you mentioned. I think JP mentioned the stuff which I can think of. So there you go.
  • hi all! i am seriously looking at the '00 OBS as an investment for my next car. however, i really would welcome info from current owners of the OBS! please help me out.
    1)would you buy the OBS again if you'd do it over?
    2)what are the honest +/-'s ?
    3)is it as cramped as it could potentially be?
    4)is it as safe as the other subarus if it is considered a "subcompact"?
    5)how does it compare to the other subarus?
    6)would this fit my need for a fun, reliable, safe car? i am a 27 y.o. single, female, soon-to-be resident physician in PA. is there enough cargo space to haul every day stuff, as well as things for special occasions/trips?
    i know lots of questions, but i'd certainly appreciate ANY info you could pass along. thanks in advance and God bless!
    sincerely, jenny porter
    hello,

1)would you buy the OBS again if you'd do it over?
    - Yes. But I would be keeping mine inhopes to turbo the car up. It was meant to be in teh first palce anyways. It's a great car. Very very unique

2)what are the honest +/-'s ?
    - plus: Amazing handling, good storage, peppy engine with 5spd, gotta love the boxer growl, distinct look, the reflection of the hood will make u smile, everybody will be staring at you stunned... I can go on and on...oh yeah the bulletproof reliabiility of Subaru.
    - minuses : It's a driver's car. Why? Cus it's alot more expensive then say a saturn wagon or even a Civic Si! Gas is more than the average car. I can go 400km on afull tank with strictly city driving. tint the window as the summe can get hot in the car...many windows.
    3)is it as cramped as it could potentially be?
    - huh? I am the driver so I will never know how cramp the rear is. But apparenly tho the car is smaller than a Jetta the interior volume is larger than a Jetta!

4)is it as safe as the other subarus if it is
    considered a "subcompact"?
    - It is one of the safest car you'd ever drive! The frame is very rigid. Reason being that it is the hatchback version of the World rally Championmship racer! It won the championship 3 times!!!

5)how does it compare to the other subarus?
    - Which one? Very hard to say. Smaller than the OUtback and Legacys. About the same size as the Forester as it based on the Impreza chassis. All Imprezas are the same in size...be it sedan, coupe or wagon. the OBS has 2.2l. a 2.5l would be great but it still is a quick car thanks to it's crazy amount of torque ~150ft/lb at 3600rpm for a small car. This is a vague question.
    6)would this fit my need for a fun, reliable, safe
    - Fus is what hte OBS is all about. you haven't live until you executed a 4 wheel drift on the snow in an empty parking lot!!!! I love this car! Has lots of character.

There's an OBS newsgroup you can go to and ask them wha tthey think. Becareful tho as their enthusiasm is very contagious....
    BTW what other cars are your choices?
  • georgedegeorgede Posts: 40
    Hi everyone! Just in need of comments from
    all you owners of the Outback Sport.
    I started to search for one, and as I'm finding out, its becoming difficult to get the right car. I spent a whole day trying to find a WHITE one. There are only 2 dealers here in South Florida within 50 miles or so, In Miami, theres one, and all practically have one car to show. Ok, here we
    go with questions..
    1. Does the automatic have sufficient power??
    2. Is the A/C powerful enough for the South Florida summer (150 degrees +or-) just joking.
    3. Can you add leather?
    4. How about WIND NOISE??

Anyway, I would love to see a White one before I
    buy. The dealer near me, has a Green one which I
    will test drive tomorrow. He's asking $18,900, is
    this a fair price? I also did not drive the 5 speed, maybe I should before I decide.
    Thanks for the comments!!!
  • celeste2celeste2 Posts: 362
    Hey, just bought my Outback Sport last week and have had almost 7 days of sheer ecstasy! I live in hot Central Florida so you know my climate is like yours and here's some of my responses to your questions:

1. I drove an auto Outback Sport and thought the power was O.K., but I wanted and bought a manual and it takes off alot faster from a stop I think. You can really leave alot of cars behind at those traffic lights!

2. The a/c is a dream and yesterday we drove in I-4 about 40 minutes, in the midday heat, and it was a HOT one yesterday. My husband is a big person who really suffers in the heat but he is emphatically happy with the A/C on this car. It's great for Florida. But get the windows tinted as dark as you can stand. I had mine done yesterday and you'll want to get this done, too. Makes the car look REALLY sporty, also.

3. Who wants leather? It's sweaty to sit on, hot, and a pain the the *** to condition and keep supple in a hot climate. Come on, the upholstery color in the Outback is just to me the most wonderfully outrageous I've seen. I mean, the stripes are wild and have tones of purple, blue and pink which are really campy.

4. I thought the wind noise yesterday on I-4 was really minimal. Now, don't look for a big cushy Lincoln or Cadaillac, but I think the noise level is very very tolerable and the car is such a pleasure to drive!!

5. Maybe you can get the dealer down to $18000.
    Tell him you want a base car with no options and you're no paying for anything extra, that he'll just have to throw that stuff in.

6. Just to throw in one more comment: What a fun car to drive. Now I know what someone meant when they said the car puts a smile on their face everytime they get in it. Be sure to ACCELERATE on the corners and curves, it can take it and is such a thrill. You won't believe the feeling!
    Congrats on your new purchase. You can join a bunch of OBS fanatic at this wesite. It's a newsgroup which comprises of a bunch of owners who love the car. Truly an amazing little bugger isn't it?!

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/subaruimprezaoutbacksport
  • celeste2celeste2 Posts: 362
    Thanks for all your encouragement and input, I've been reading your comments all along and they were very helpful to me in choosing the Outback Sport. I started thinking about a Subaru around December and would take my walks at night up to the dealership nearby and look. At first it was the full-size Outback. Then my 14 year old son was crazy about the Impreza RS and we saw one up there which was nice, but clearly not quite the thing for if you have to haul any stuff. We were using an old Volvo wagon. Then, in April the dealer got a 2000 OB Sport, silver, but it was automatic. But when I saw the car it was love at first sight. I was jumping up and down and acting like an idiot. My husband just circled the car and looked and said, "yeah, I think this is it, this look like your car."

It was kind of fun making the sales manager whine, which he did in the most pathetic way, and we almost left but wanted the car too bad and he found a silver manual OB sport. So, he had a little leverage since there aren't too many of these in Florida.

Now I know why all the OB Sport owners are so enthusiastic, and how nice to know you're not driving one of those "clones"!
This discussion has been closed.