Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• celeste2celeste2 Posts: 362
    Does really give the engine alot of pep. My husband and son installed it, it comes with full instructions and is easy to install. And you can get the air filter with the air intake, a choice of K&N or Amsoil. They're both good. Heck even just putting in a better filter (such as one of the ones I mentioned) helps the car breathe better.

As far as weak points, people complain about the shifter being difficult to get into reverse. My first OBS was manual and I went to 2nd gear, then reverse. Some complain about it being difficult to get from 2nd to 1st but I think they're trying to shift into first when still moving slowly. Don't use first except to start the car rolling. Some have clutches that don't last but remember the car has power to all 4 wheels and if you do power launches all the time it will be rough on your clutch.

Go to i-club.com as they have a search function and look around in past posts there. You will learn quite alot. Most of the people there have WRXs or RSs, however the clutch is so much like the one on your car you'll still learn alot about yours. Also in Yahoo clubs they have an Outback Sport Club and you can ask around there.

Congratulations, you will love the car. I've had mine since April and I just love it more and more every day!
  • Thanks to Celeste2 and others for the info on squeezing a few more ponies out of my new OBSport!! I'll probably take the leap on the Ganzflow soon. Celeste, did you do this mod by itself, or with an exhaust mod also?? I'm interested in getting the freest breathing possible, but NOT at the expense of greatly increased noise. If anyone knows of a good, free breathing, yet quiet (or REASONABLY quiet) exhaust mod which will make a noticeable difference, I would appreciate the info. I have been to i-club a few times now, looking for info concerning an ECU mod for the '02 Impreza 2.5L, but have yet to find a vendor who is offering such a mod. Do any of you have direct experience with this, and if so, could you point me to the vendor you used...web page, e-mail address, phone #, anything!! Thanks again for all you assistance. This is going to be one fun car to drive!!
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Ted - the great thing about the above mentioned i-club, is the search feature. You can search with any words that you want to. Quiet exhaust, most h.p., etc.

-Dennis
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    If you want a quiet exhaust, avoid SuperTrapp (the loudest) and get a Borla (very high quality, not loud). Remus exhausts are deep and have a nice burble but I've heard some kick back from them.

Careful with intakes - they can increase noise a lot, especialy at high rpms and at WOT (wide open throttle).

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    juice: Do you know if we can get Borlas or Remuses (Remi?) for our Foresters? I've been itching for an exhaust upgrade but I don't want to bother with the loud and low-quality Stromung. The only other Forester-specific exhausts I've seen besides Stromung are the UK-built Scoobysport and Prodrive WR Sport, both of which are designed for turbo applications and are prohibitively expensive to import. Most, if not all, mufflers designed specifically for Imprezas have different mounting points than for Foresters.

Apologies to OBS owners for intruding with a Forester Q.

Ed
    I don't, actually. It's such a small market.

The exhaust are routed differently. To install the diffy protector, I had to loosen and lower part of the exhaust, which you supposedly do not have to do with the Impreza or Legacy. That means it takes a different path to the tail pipe.

You could have a muffler shop custom build a SS exhaust for you, but it would not be tuned for sound quality. You could use a Borla muffler, though, and 2.25" pipes.

-juice
  • brekkebrekke Posts: 304
    I just wanted to give a thumbs up to Wheelskins. I bought their leather steering wheel cover (from afterthoughtsauto.com), you have to stitch the sucker on with a sticky waxed cord and needless to say it is an OCD nightmare. I did a poor job of it but Wheelskins is sending me a new cord for free so I can redo it when it's warmer out:) (They also allowed me to make an even exchange since I originally ordered the wrong color which meant they ate the shipping cost back to me.)

I found a similar product in pep boys for half the price but the Wheelskins leather was softer and thicker and I deserve it!

p.s. they also have some nice leather shift boots, reasonably priced, I thought.
    I agree 100%, go for the good stuff, pay extra if you have to. The stuff at Pep Boys is low quality, shiny, and the finish would probably peel.

I got a cover from a Toyota dealer back in 1991. It was in their parts area, with other accessories, but it was not a Toyota product.

Believe it or not, it's so good, I took it off my last car, after 107k miles, and put it on my Forester. 42k miles later still looks perfect, thicker than the stock leather covered rim.

I wish I remembered the brand name, but it was over a decade ago.

-juice
  • celeste2celeste2 Posts: 362
    I just did the Ganzflow. Be careful not to get too loud an exhaust. Ramon will tell you about the one he got on his 2000 OBS, right Ramon? Seems the cavernous back end on the wagon amplified the loud exhaust and I don't think it was bearable. He could have filled the entire back end with insulation though!

Hey, check with the vendors at i-club and register there so you can ask about the ECU mod.
    I'm not sure but you may be able to ask in the Vendors' section. I don't spend too much time in that particular section there as I'm pretty content with mine as is.
  • ramonramon Posts: 825
    i don't have a 2000 OBS missy. It's a Silverthorn Metalic 1999 OBS! ;) And yes, mine was loud because it has a 2.25" midpipe with a Borla SS muffle. Hacked the resonator away. If u put the resonator in it, u should be ok. Key word: SHOULD.
    At least in the Miata world, Borlas are considered among the quieter exhausts (with resonator). They are very high quality, too.

-juice
    aww come on... a 1.6l engine compared to a 2.5l?! of course they are quiet! i know, my stepdad has a borla catback. that thing sounds so docile compare to my RS's borla bark. Gotta love the boxer's rumble.... actually i am getting annoyed. I am gonna install a resonator when i upgrade to a full mandrel bent SS midpipe next year! guess i am getting old. =(
    You married yet?

I just went with the wife to her OB and heard our 2nd baby's heart beat. Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thumpa. Pretty neat.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    I didn't think your wife had an Outback. ;-)

-Dennis
    Must be early, took me a while to get that one! :-)

-juice
    in about 5months time.... yup. I wonder what's gonna happen to my Scooby flying days. nah, she's been very understanding and supportive over my fetish with Subarus. =)
  • My Ruby OB has close to 4000 miles on it and i too like the way it handles but don't like the amount of road noise from the tires, and plan on upgrading to the aforementioned REPotenza 950s as soon as these show signs of wear and tear. they seem to hold just fine in the rain though. And, for the record, I'm not having a problem shifting between gears or into reverse, nor the hatch closing difficulty that's been reported here.

However, I am doing a lot of freeway driving and absolutlye hate being under attack by rock chips and flying debris: my poor windshield is already scarred in several places, and both my hood and bumper have had little bits knocked out of them. I'm staying back from trucks, but what can i do in the face of a piece of flying plastic that hit me straight in the windshield the other morning? Last time i tried to avoid flying gravel, I killed my Forester....

Happy Holidays to all.

rachel

p.s. congrats juice - babies are miraculous!
    Thanks.

Sounds like you're already doing everything you can, so now you just need a bit better luck.

-juice
  • racheluk -

Do you have a "bug deflector" on the front of your OBSport?? I have put one on my new one, and it at least HELPS keep some of the gravel/rocks/sand off my windshield that we have here in CO in the winter. If you don't have one, you might consider one. Go to subaruparts.com for the best price on them. Oh, and better luck helps too!!
This discussion has been closed.