Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• bkaiser1bkaiser1 Posts: 464
    I noticed in my Outback that the mirroe seemed to be much lower after I got the car back from the body shop...it was constantly in the way and I was ducking to see under it. I didn't realize for 2 weeks that the hinge that supports the mirror is double jointed and can articulate all the way up to the ceiling and still be angled to where I can see out the back. When normally adjusting the mirror, you are usually only moving one of the pivot points...grab the whole mirror with both hands and shove it towards the roof. It's amazing how noticable that extra inch or so of clearance is!

Brian
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    And re-glue it in a different spot to suit your needs. That's what I'd do. It's a relatively easy proceedure.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Be careful not to crack the windshield, though. We took one off a junk yard car (it had lights and was for my Miata sans lights), and the glue held on strong enough to crack the windshield.

-juice
  • damish003damish003 Posts: 303
    Post, wait 1/2 hour, find five answers...good lord, are you folks speedy on the message board. Thanks for the responses...once it stops raining, I'll check the mirror out (pivot joint) to see how it is then.

I like the Forester, and have driven it, but unless I go used I can't afford it. I really wish I had a 4-5k trade-in right now. Only having a grand or two to spend upfront, and keeping a payment to $300, really limits my options. Perhaps I can find a well-maintained 2002 OBS. I'll have to torture my local dealer on that. If anyone is in the Erie, PA area, check out New Motors. Their service reputation is fantastic, from what I understand. Thanks for the answers.

Dan
    fitzmall.com has a location in Gaithersburg, MD. I'm not sure how far that is from you.

The Forester is just $500 or so more.

Used ones don't depreciate very quickly, so I'd stick with new and work out a good lease with a balloon purchase at the end, something like that.

Also, the average car payment is above $400 nowadays, per NADA. Just an FYI.

-juice
  • damish003damish003 Posts: 303
    Gaithersburg, MD is not anywhere near me, but thanks anyway. "Average car payment is above $400"? Really?? I had no idea...must be all those high-priced SUV's. As to the Forester, to get one set up the way the OBS I've been driving, would be at least $2,000 more. I adjusted the mirror in the OBS, per comments above, and that solved the problem.

I'm probably going back to the lease idea, at least for now. I don't believe in putting a lot down on a lease just to improve the monthly payment, since if the car gets wrecked, the money down is history. When I dropped off the car last night, my salesman and I had a good discussion about the pros and cons. He worked up a lease payment of $ 262.00 for 36 months, with security deposit and first month down. This is quite a bit lower than Edmunds payment calculators show. Either I'm missing something, or the dealer is low-balling me. That I haven't seen before on a lease, but who knows? I didn't ask if it included tax, but even with the 6% tax rate in PA, the lease still seems cheap. I'll be arranging the final lease inspection on my Jeep after May 11, and will have to have this figured out by late June. Lots of work ahead. Thanks for the comments.

Dan
    They may add tax, tags, and freight. Also ask if they charge a processing fee.

Sounds good, though. If you like it you might want to purchase it at the end of the lease to get out of the payment cycle. I kept my last car for 7 years after just a 3 year loan, so for 4 years my payment was zero!

Enjoy your new OBS.

-juice
  • noncanannoncanan Posts: 2
    hello,

got a good price 100k '97 for $5800. i'm not crazy about the hood vent and am wondering if i would have problems reselling the car down the road. i'm in a rush to buy cause i'm wasting funds on car rental. any ideas? want to buy tomorrow.

Also...My 92 civic hatch (just stolen) was maintenance/problem free....how's the reliability of the 97?

Thank you
    Canan
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    I sold this very car last year in one day, so I would say the hood vent was not a big obstacle for me. I also sold mine in California for more money with more miles, so I would say the deal sounds pretty good.

As far as problems...I had none at all. This car never needed a repair in 115K miles. There was a recall early on to seal the hood vent because rain would come in through it and drip on the emissions sensors, or something. You could check that it has been done, or I am sure Subaru would still do it for free.

The timing belt is due at 105K on California cars, by the way. If it is a federal car, the interval is supposed to be 60K.

This is one solid little car - if my experience is any guide, you should have very few problems (given the usual checks on a used car at 100K, of course).

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    I had a '97 as well and put nearly 75,000 miles on it. The only major issue I had was a clutch problem that was repaired under warranty.

I'm now in my second Impreza, a WRX wagon. You'll get used to the hood vent. :-)

-Dennis
    If you're buying with 100k miles and put a bunch more on it, resale won't be much anyway, so don't be too concerned about it. But generally Subies last so they should be easy to resell.

-juice
    Is a pretty bulletproof subie engine. Only one more bullet proof might be the 1.8l

-mike
    If you think about it, same block, so the smaller sizes are very over-engineered.

-juice
    the progression was from smaller to bigger? Surely the small ones would only be overengineered if the bigger ones had come first?

• noncanannoncanan Posts: 2
    I so appreciate your help....bought it and it seems to run great!!!!!

Thanks again,
    Canan
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Congrats Canan!

Here's my favorite 2.2L Subie. :-)
    http://www.22b.com/

-Dennis
    nippononly: good point. We have to believe Subaru had more displacement in mind when they engineered the 1.8l. I think even back then they also offered a 2.2l on the same block.

Congrats Canan.

-juice
    judging by my own experience with it, it may be the best car you ever own!

-Stu

• linsavylinsavy Posts: 13
    Canan, I have alovely scoopless/ventless MY97 L hood . Where do you live. We could trade.
    Bruce
    a '96 Scoopless/ventless hood in NY area.

-mike
    the scoop is distinctive! Don't get rid of it! A couple of days, and you won't even notice it is there when you are driving.

• linsavy2linsavy2 Posts: 3
    You are not helping me here.
    '04 OBS running around the streets every once in a while...looks like the only thing they changed visually was the front end? I really like the new look. Was that and the standard rear discs the limit of the '04 revisions?

Plus an in-glass antennae. I think the radio looks a bit different too.

-juice
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Posts: 356
    I was looking at an OBS the other day that I really liked better than the TS wagon (better equipment).

but I hated the "Outback Sport" decal on the lower rear quarterpanel.

Has anyone removed that decal?
    that was sideswiped in his OBS - when he had the body shop fix and repaint the dented panel, they didn't put the decal back on, so he only had it on one side after that! I am sure it can be done - probably very easy to do.

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,662
    the Outbacks Sport is marketed as the Impreza RV. It's exactly like our OBS, with the following exceptions: 2.0 engine, RHD—and no rear door decal. It looks much better, I agree.

http://subaru.com.au/explore/impreza/exterior.asp?item=11590

You can probably remove the decal using a hair dryer, and carefully peal the decal.

Bob
    Hairdryer + fishing line.

Heat it up and then use the fishing line to peel it away. Should work well.

-mike
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    Heat the decal not the fishing line ;-)

-Dave
This discussion has been closed.