Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    On pre 95.5 4EATs and all SVX 4EATs, you get 90/10 torque split.

On post 95.5 4EATs you get 80/20 intitial torque split.

On all 5MTs you get 50/50 via a viscous center diffy.

On VTD Equipped cars (VDC, WRX, Legacy GT) you get a 45/55 torque split on the 4EATs

4EATs can split torque from 80/20 up to 50/50 on non-VTD equipped vehicles. On VTD ones the split is from 40/60 to 60/40 max torque split.

On 5MTs the range is 60/40 to 40/60.

4EAT models after 95.5 will proactively move power around using wheel speed sensors, and will also adapt to changing shifting points. Starting

4EAT models pre 95.5 will move power proactively based on output shaft speed sensors and have a "power light" indicating the shift points have been moved based on how hard you hit the gas. These models also have a "manual mode" which allow you to start in 2nd or 3rd gears and stay in those gears. When redline is attained in these vehicles, the transmission will upshift to the next highest gear and downshift when speeds allow it to fall to the lower gear.

Starting in the 2000MY the 4EATs went to the "active" awd system which added weight sensors to shift power around from front to rear.

VDC invloved using the VTD system coupled with wheel speed sensors (ABS sensors) to apply brakes to wheels spinning faster, than others along with yaw control and engine throttle cuts.

In the '03 and '04 Legacy GT the 4EAT has VTD and Sportshift which is a tiptronic-like system.

In the '88, '89, '91 XT6s there was a locking center diffy that would lock the torque split to 50/50.

In the '04 STi, the Center diffy is electronically controlled similar to the 4EATs VTD system, and can vary the torque from 40/60 to 60/40 with a 50/50 lock as well.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    VTD rocks, it's the best AWD system Subaru makes, period. It's proactive and has a rear bias, and can send 100% of power to either axle. Very, very few AWD systems can do that. Not even Audi Quattro (67% limit to each axle).

-juice
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    that the 4EAT (at least '00+) can be started in '2' and stay in '2'.

-Brian
    Sorry, VTD is limited to 40/60 to 60/40 can't do 100/0 and 0/100

-mike
  • lotboylotboy Posts: 49
    813283 are the last 6 of your VIN.
    Your car is sitting there with a sold sign in it.
    I was in late this evening picking out a TS to test drive tomorrow.
    I like the sunroof idea.Nice car dude!

DD

PS-I touched your car,,,hehehe
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    That's funny--I was over there yesterday looking at it too. The sunroof looks good. I compared it to the silver WRX with sunroof they have sitting there against the building and the aftermarket roof is a lot bigger, tinted, and has a nicer finish inside. It wasn't cheap, so you've really got to be a sunroof freak to get it done, but it was worth it. Picking it up tomorrow. Let us know how your test drive goes.
    I enjoyed my test drive,would have been better with less traffic though and some rain.
    That's ok,Impreza TS is a very nice car.I took out a green 5spd..John is a very good guy to talk to.I will see him again in 6 months.
    My buddy in Michigan and I are planning on test driving the STi on thursday in Michigan,we'll see?

DD

Good luck with the OBS...
  • twrxtwrx Posts: 647
    I hate to say it but you don't want a WRX with the sunroof if you are 6' tall. I have lots of headroom in my 2003 WRX sedan but I recently test drove a WRX premium package model with the SR. I don't fit well under it. You can see how much they lowered the headliner to do it. It is an internal retract and I suspect it goes under that larger roll cage between front and back seat areas.
    TWRX
    How's the new car dude?

DD
    Just wondering if anyone knows the destination charge for an Impreza to Canada?
    Also what do you think a fair price is for an Impreza (2004)off of the MSRP?
    I think maybe around $1200.00 off CAN
    Cheers guys!!!

DD

PS-Are Subaru Impreza's really made in "Gunma" Japan,I was told otherwise???
  • damish003damish003 Posts: 303
    Yep, the Impreza is made in Japan. No where else, to the best of my knowledge. I THINK it's the only part of Subarus' line that's made there exclusively, but I could be wrong.

-Dan-
  • ozman62ozman62 Posts: 229
    Lotboy, we recently purchased an Impreza TS 2.5 wagon, and we offered $1000 under MSRP. The dealer accepted this without even blinking, which leads me to believe we could have done a little better with some arm twisting. According to our calcs, this was about 1/2 of the dealers mark-up over invoice. Obviously, that doesn't include the mysterious 'holdback' portion. We purchased our car near the end of the month, and I think that this can work to the consumers advantage, too.
    HTH, Owen
    All Imprezas and Foresters are made in the plant in Gunma, Japan. The Legacy, Outback, and Baja made for US consumption are made in Indiana.

-juice
    I bet there are parts in the impreza from the US. I know that I got US made parts in my "Japan" built Trooper.

-mike
    Prolly some, sure. I guess there is a % on the Monroney indicating just how much.

-juice
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    Been in Montreal since right after I got it so haven't had a chance to post. Really happy with the car so far. It drives and handles great. Seems really well screwed together--probably the tightest new car I've had.

Re the destination charge, the official number I found in Subaru Canada's price list was $1195, but I was only charged $995 here. About the TS pricing, John's first offer to me on the TS when I started out by looking at it was $814 off MSRP right off the bat without even negotiating, so I say go for $1200 or more and see what you can get. Don't forget to look at the accessory list and figure the ones you want into the deal.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Posts: 393
    My mom recently purchased the 6/60K warranty for her 04 Outback Sport, and has just received the warranty registration in the mail.

Does the extended warranty start after the 3/36k new car warranty ends, meaning a possible total warranty coverage of 9/96K, or does the 6/60K start at the mileage you have on the car when purchased which means that she essentially paid for 3/24K extra coverage on top of the 3/36K?

Also, unrelated to the warranty: Is it normal for the throttle to "buck" back a bit at times if you let of the pedal slightly? Otherwise at 1500 miles, the car is very tight and sufficiently powerful. The cargo area is great for my 14 year old dog!
  • damish003damish003 Posts: 303
    Juice, are you sure that the Forester is only made in Japan? I thought that one was made both in Japan and the US.

Louis, I know what you mean about the "buck" that happens sometimes when you left off the gas. When I first got my 04 OBS I noticed the same thing. Now that the car is broken in and has adjusted to how I like to drive, it doesn't seem to happen anymore. Maybe it's part of the transmissions "learning curve" that Subaru has.

-Dan-
    It's the total milage. 6/60 will cover up to 6/60 from new.

-mike
    Thanks for your input guys!Thanks cbmorton...

DD
    paisan is right.

The Gold warranty extends roadside assistance for the full duration of the warranty. So you're covered if you lock yourself out, run out of gas, or need a tow to the nearest dealer in case of a break down.

-juice
  • I just clocked 5500 miles on my 03 Forester w/Premium Pkge. Fun Car. Big sunroof lets in the light of a cloudy overcast sky in South Dakota. I noticed that oil changes are 5W30, every 3500 miles.

Question is: When can I switch to synthetics, and go 7000 miles? Will doing that effect the warranty? Currently, I have Penzoil from the dealer. Is the Subaru engine designed such that synthetics (Mobil 1) cannot be used, and will leak?

Thanks, in advance.
    See my answer in the Forester thread. ;-)

-juice
    Hey guys,just wondering if anyone knows or thinks there will be some changes to the 2005 Impreza TS even after the changes in 2004?ie.reduced engine noise,increased horsepower,fog lamps as standard...
    I plan to order one in the spring.Any input or advice is appreciated.

DD

PS-How do you think the Mazda 3 will compare to Subaru Impreza quality?I get the Mazda for cost!!!
    Tough call, by we may know more as the time gets closer.

I do think Subaru will continue its trend of adding a little more content with each model year, and it just might be something like fog lamps this time around.

Also, we know they have AVCS technology, question is when will is start trickling down into the non-turbo models?

The 3 looks good, it'll share a platform with the next Focus and Volvo S40/V50. That could be good (near luxury parts sharing) or bad (Ford parts bin sharing). I like the 6, and the 3 should be similar.

The TS is a known quantity, though, and has AWD and ABS standard.

-juice
    Thanks for your reply juice!!!

DD
  • Hey guys,
    first post here...been lurking on these boards for about a week now, just haven't posted anything. Anyway, now that I'm done with the intro, I'll proceed with my story. I've been a Subaru fan for a couple of years now, never had a chance to own one though. Went to college for 3 years and didn't have a car at all for the first 2, but leased a Civic for the third year and gave it to my mom this Sept (didn't want to pay the lease payments since after graduating I didn't have a job yet, plus my mom needed a new car since her lease was up...so that was settled nicely - I got out of the Civic lease and she got a 1 year old car with 2 years left on the lease)....Well, now that I've found a good job I can afford to get that Subie that I've wanted. I've driven the TS, OBS and WRX wagon (all with auto tranny, since in a couple of years I'll be giving this car to my mom and she can't drive stick). The turbo is definitely nice to have, but the transmission just kills it (tries to shift at the 3000 rpms when the turbo is kicking in)...so if I were to get the WRX I'd get it with stick. Plus it costs more than the TS or OBS(about $80 more in payments, and another $45 for insurance per month....also premium gas is more expensive). So after trying all of them and deliberating on which one to get I've decided to go with the OBS (in "Woodland Green" or whatever the official color name is).
    Now, I have a couple of concerns:
    since it has a cheap interior, will the seats wear out quickly? That fabric just doesn't look too convincing...but I may be very wrong on this one...
    And the other thing is with the infamous Subaru windows (frameless design). Do those cause any problems (such as leaking, breaking easily, etc.)?
    I think that's about it for the questions. I've priced the car on carsdirect and emailed a couple of dealers in the area. Carsdirect shows a price of $18,670 (including the rebate) for an auto OBS (without any options, which I'll add later myself). However, one dealer quoted me at $18,069 for the same thing (don't know if there are any other "doc fees" added to it or not, will find out tonight when I go see him). Is that a good price? I think it is, but I guess I'm just looking for reassurance (or tell me if it's not). I'm going to take it for another longer test drive (at night though) so is there anything that you guys can recommend that I should look out for in the car?
    Otherwise, can't wait to join the club. And thanks for reading/replying in advance.

-Nick
    First off, I think the OBS is a "sweet spot" if you're looking for value in the Subaru lineup. Around here I see them for $17-18k or so.

I think there is a no-haggle dealer in NY or NJ, maybe someone else knows, Van Bortel maybe? Check them out to compare prices.

Much is said about the frameless windows. My Forester's windows seal perfectly. Our Legacy some times has a wind leak in the driver's window, albeit a small one. When that happens, we lower and raise the window again, it goes away. The track can be adjusted but it's not bad so we haven't bothered.

Crash tests confirm the structure is solid. In fact, the Forester, which shares a platform with the OBS, received the best score ever in IIHS side impact tests. Perhaps you could conclude that not having frameless doors is less safe? LOL

The other thing is that the torquey 2.5l engine mates up very well to the automatic, which is very robust to boot. The same basic tranny can handle about 300hp reliably in modified WRXs, so it handles 165 hp with ease.

I say go for it, join the Subaru Crew in the process. We chat live every Thursday night.

-juice
  • Juice, thanks for the input. I checked out Van Bortel's website and the OBS comes in at $18175...The quote I got from my local dealer (Bill Kolb Jr in Orangeburg, NY) is actually less, so I'll be talking to him tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Just watch the surprise fees. Good luck.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.