Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    Most people with Impreza wagons go with a roof rack or a hitch rack to haul their bike(s) along. I haven't tried it, but when this question comes up on other Subaru forums the consensus from those who have tried putting a bike in there is that only very small bike frames could conceivably fit inside standing upright with the front wheel removed.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I have a hitch and the hitch mounted bike rack, it's great. It even tilts out of the way to open the rear hatch.

-juice
  • TS owners: If you want to add the handy map lights that Subaru somehow forgot to install in your TS wagon, it's quite easy. I put in a set this weekend and will be doing a writeup with instructions... I'll post a link here.

Basically it involves getting power from the dome light wiring under the passenger side a-pillar trim, cutting a suitable hole in the headliner above the rear-view mirror, then screwing the map light assembly in using the holes which are already there, awaiting your new map light.

utahsteve
    Way to go Steve. I wouldn't mind having lights for the vanity mirrors.

-juice
  • ozman62ozman62 Posts: 229
    Steve, Waiting with bated breath... Is this a TS specific part?
    Owen
  • http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/mods/maplights/
    Check it out, let me know what you think.

Owen: It is definitely not a TS specific light, in fact you need to ask for the part for a WRX or OBS and you may get dumb looks from parts counter folk if you ask them for a map light for the TS. FYI I'm talking about the U.S. versions of these cars, I can't guarantee the Canadian version is identical. You lucky folks get some stuff we don't get, of course we get roof racks on our TS's :)

utahsteve
    Great documentation, but I'd love to see the "after" photo.

I was doing something similar to my Miata but was interrupted half way through and never finished. I guess I should...

-juice
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    Looks good. That and the cargo area light being left out of the TS always seemed like somewhat chintzy omissions to me. However, I've heard that adding the cargo light to a TS is also a fairly easy task.
  • The cargo area light is quite easy to install, moreso than the map lights. It was one of the first things I added to the TS.

Chintzy omissions, I agree, but bigger profits for Subaru. Add a few hundred dollars of content to the TS, paint it differently, call it an Outback Sport, and sell it for $1200 more. And sell a lot more of them because (most) people want that extra content and don't want to add it themselves. Pretty smart, actually.

utahsteve
    Sweeeet! You nailed it. It's perfectly centered. Looks stock.

The OBS does get the 16" rims and a few other things. The TS has added some content so it's closer to the OBS than it was in 2002.

-juice
  • Does anyone have any info on what changes are in store for the 2005 Outback Sport?
  • knahsknahs Posts: 5
    I bought a Subaru Impreza Outback Sport in December after researching for over 6 months. I was originally going to get the TS Impreza Wagon since it was less money but ended up with one dealer with a better price on the Outback Sport than the TS.

However, I will say that for short people (I'm 5'3") it is not designed too well. I got the arm rest but have to sit close to get the clutch pushed in all the way to start it that the arm rest is essentially useless. In addition, the sun visor is about 1" too short too because of having to have the seat so close. Otherwise, the car is fantastic - great power, good gas mileage, and has gotten me through some snowy days in the last 3 months. I would highly recommend it.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,675
    I will say that for short people (I'm 5'3") it is not designed too well.

Subaru needs to consider power, adjustable pedals, as I'm sure you're not the only one who has experienced this problem. I know my daughter (5'2") would be another.

Bob
  • Have you tried raising the seat to adjust for the size of the sun visor, or is it already raised to the max?

-Dan-
  • I'm having a hard time finding a decent used Impreza for what Edmonds says they're worth, anyone else have this problem? One salesguy told me to go buy the car from Edmonds!
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    It's best not to challenge a salesman with the Edmunds price info. I've found in my area (CT) that the cars generally sell for more than Edmunds and less than Kelly's.
    Karen, how appropriate your name is, we jokingly say all female Subaru owners have a "K" in their name.

CT is a high-demand region, so you may find prices higher than in other places. Try e-mailing offers to dealers to see if they'll bite. Or see if you can find a no-haggle dealer that already discounts the car to the final sale price.

Van Bortel is in NY some where, and in MD we have Fitzgerald. That's how they sell new cars, but used too, I believe.

Is there a CarMax near you?

-juice
  • "I'm having a hard time finding a decent used Impreza for what Edmonds says they're worth, anyone else have this problem?"

Yep. Subies are in high demand here (something about a dozen ski resorts within an hour's drive...) lol! Read back through the last page or two of posts, a few weeks back the subject came up.

I'd follow Juice's advice... do you really need to work with a salesman if you can research the car online? It is not in their best interests to give you a good deal. Have you considered private party sellers? That will save you some bucks vs. a dealer.

utahsteve
  • Got a decent quote from a dealer way out near the NY border on an Outback Sport...decent that is if you consider Kelly's prices. I'll keep looking, I don't need a car right away and maybe a private seller will come along...but so far they've been less reasonable than the dealers! Maybe after the weather warms up.

I'll try the email approach, thanks!
    Hey, it's the opposite with Miatas, best time to buy is first sign of winter!

-juice
  • I got my Miata last summer, but didnt have to pay for it.
  • With there being a difference in the awd within the impreza line ( manual vs auto trans ), I was wondering if anybody knows how the Subaru(s) systems compare to the Honda.

Thanks,
    Tuckerdog
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Honda = Part Time (100% FWD til a wheel is physically spinning)

Subaru = Full-time AWD (80/20% Split on 4EAT, 45/55 Split on VTDEAT, 50/50 on MTs)

-mike
    paisan got it right.

Basically the Honda doesn't have a center differential so it's a part-time only system meant to be engaged only on slippery surfaces.

The Subaru system is full-time. Even on dry surfaces it can send power to both axles while allowing just enough slip (in the center diffy) to make a U-turn.

-juice
  • hunter001hunter001 Posts: 851
    The regular Subaru Automatic AWD system (non VTDAWD) lacks a center differential and has hydraulically actuated transfer clutches, which is why it is possible to disconnect its AWD and switch it into FWD. The VTD Automatic AWD (Automatic WRX, Legacy GT Auto, VDC Outback etc) on the other hand has a Planetary gear center differential and the transfer clutches, due to which it is not possible to disconnect AWD in their setups.

Later...AH
    You're right, I'm describing the systems on my two MT Subies.

-juice
  • So what difference does it make? I'm looking into Subarus but then Honda has great reliability. Which is better?
    Honda went for fuel efficiency and so ended up with a system that is FWD most of the time. The catch is it feels like FWD, torque steer and all, even with the RT4WD option. Power is sent to the rear axle after you've begun to slip.

Subaru's full time system eliminates torque steer and you end up with more neutral handling. The systems are such that you're less likely to slip in the first place, because the power is distributed before you slip.

I'll take B, no question.

-juice
  • hunter001hunter001 Posts: 851
    There are big differences in the implementation of the Honda AWD systems. If it is like the one in the Acura MDX where it is a proactive system, then I would want it, even though it is 100% FWD while cruising etc. But the system in the CRV, which is reactive is not that impressive.

Later...AH
This discussion has been closed.