Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• grackgrack Posts: 3
    Oh, I commute a lot to work...it'd be much more than an extra $3/week. If it was about $3....heck, there'd be no issue. :)

If I actually only got 22mpg with the subaru...driving about 75 miles a day (ugh!) and currently spending about $2.40/gallon (gotta love living in the San Francisco bay area) ..actuall I paid $2.48 the other day.....

Doing a quick calculation... I figure I'd save around $456/year with the Mazda3i (at around 28-29mpg) than the Subaru if I was only getting 22mpg. That's $456 I'd rather spend on something else. ;-)

Thanks Dan for your quote. 25 is sounding a little better...and up to 27 in the summer...that's sounding much nicer. Any other OBS owners?
  • ericf1ericf1 Posts: 54
    AWD AWD AWD!!!!! I would go for the RS Sport over the Mazda3 5-Door even with the slightly lower gas milage. By the time you equivalently equip it (add ABS) it's the same price anyways and you still don't get AWD.

Hey, but then again, the low-end Legacy is very close in price to an automatic RS Sport too. Anyone sat in the Legacy? I would guess it has nicer seats. Too bad I can't afford the Legacy hatchback. :(
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That would put you in the low 20s, you can get an OBS for mid teens and RS Sport for high teens.

-juice
    Where can you can an OBS in the mid teens? Seems priced equivalently with the RS Sport here in the Boston area.
    From fitzmall.com, lowest price for:

OBS Special: $17,794
    RS: $16,972
    RS Pro: None in stock
    Legacy: $19,177

A little lower than I expected, but once you add some options I was pretty close.

-juice
    OK, you get one of those for me in automatic, out the door for $17k I'll buy one.;)
    No chance of getting those kind of discounts here in New England area.

I want to wait and see what they do with the side-impact test stuff first, if my current car can hold out that long.
    Yeah, even prices are higher from Subaru of New England, it's crazy. They some how manage to operate along with SoA and of course add their margins. :mad:

-juice
  • eric2003eric2003 Posts: 6
    I have a 97 outback sport with only 35k miles. owner's manual stated that the belt should be replace at 60k or 60 months. what is everyone's experience? i would think the wear has more to do with mileage than time.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The rubber breaks down over time, so the time does have an effect on it.

-mik
    New Englanders love their Subarus. It is so hard to find a deal on a used one it doesn't even pay to buy anything but new.

If I end up buying I will try and hold out as long as I can so the thing will pass the side-impact tests, if not hopefully they'll offer that $1k incentive again. That was the biggest incentive I've ever seen Subaru NE offer on the Impreza.
    My Miata's belts are squeeky as a pack of mice. I have just 56k miles but it's a 93 so the belts are probably 13 years old or so. Time to change 'em. :sick:

-juice
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    My '04 is a 5-speed. I think it's great on gas for an AWD vehicle. Around town in the summer I see 26-27 mpg and average around 30-31 mpg on the highway, although I've seen better than 33 mpg a couple of times when I wasn't in a hurry to get somewhere. With our cold temps and winter-formulated gas, it drops 4-5 mpg in the off-season.

I'd have to say every time I see someone saying they can't do better than 22 mpg with their Impreza, they're talking about the WRX, whereas I've seen other owners of the 165-hp version say they've broken 30 mpg, so I'm not alone there. My longest range between fills so far was 425 miles, and I only got 29 mpg on that tank.

Obviously, this doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to get the same kind of numbers, but it's definitely possible.
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    Oooooo I just so happened to squeeze 25.88 mpg out of my WRX wagon [AT] today - mainly highway and moderately heavy on the foot. :D

-Dave
  • ozman62ozman62 Posts: 229
    Hey Brent, are you converting your mileage to US gallons? Just wondering, for the sake of comparison.
    Owen
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    Yes, I calculate US mpg as well as L/100 km. I know Imperial mpg still has its fans, but I find I don't really have any use for it. US magazines and web sites refer to US mpg, and in Canada L/100 km is pretty much the rule now.
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    I get around 16-18mpg in my OBS Auto. But that seems to be some kind of an aberration, since other owners get into the 20s.

My low mileage could be due to:
    a) Aggressive driving.
    b) Ultra High Perf AS tires - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in the standard 205-55/16 size, with the air pressure at 38psi all around.

With tires having less rolling resistance, the mileage should improve, I guess. I have no other modifications.
    Except that lead in your foot. ;)

My mileage has ranged from 17.3 mpg to 30.4 mpg. '98 Forester L, 5 speed.

-juice
  • '02 OBS AT. Initially 25-26 MPG. Removed roof rack crossbars & went to a fairly consistent 27 MPG. 60% hwy 40% city.
  • It's finally time to replace the Bridgestone Potenza RE92s that came on my OBS. And am I happy. I hate these tires. Now, what to replace them with? I'm leaning toward the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread ( I'm becoming an old fart, and like a smooth quiet ride ). But these seem to get pretty good reviews in almost all other areas as well ( wet traction, dry traction, etc ).
    Has anyone put these on their Impreza? How do you like them?

Thanks,
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    I've got the SP5000s on the '99 OBS with ~6k miles on them,...
    and my 60+ Mom [her daily driver] hasn't a complained.

-Dave
  • 63corvette63corvette Posts: 51
    "Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread "
    No, No, No..........Goodyewar Assurance TRIPLETRED!!!!
  • tuckerdog1tuckerdog1 Posts: 37
    Thanks for the feedback guys. The TRIPLETRED are tempting. Cost about the same as the COMFORT, and look a LOT better. I'll have to give them a serious look before I decide. The SP5000's also look to rate very high. But from most reviews I'm reading on them, they seem t be aimed more at winter conditions ( snow ). I'm in Texas, and don't have much of a snow issue. Plus, they cost a bit more.

Thanks
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    and what's going on here? I couldn't find a thread at Edmunds for the next-gen Impreza, which by my watch should be hitting the streets in six months or so. Isn't there going to be an all-new Impreza for '06? Is there a 2006 Impreza thread and I am just unable to find it?

Or is there just no news at all yet on the new model? I can't recall seeing anything myself. Personally, I would love to see a new Outback Sport a bit more separated from the rest of the Impreza line on the "Outback" side of the equation: a bit more aggressive tire (maybe a small A/T tire?), a significantly higher suspension than the regular cars (say, with ground clearance to match the larger Outback), maybe even one or two optional "trucky" goodies like a limited slip diff?

Lately, I find myself missing my old '97, what with the gas prices making me keep the 4Runner (with which I replaced my old OBS) VERY close to home.

edit...OK, I did a little web footwork, and it appears that much to my dismay the new model does not arrive until MY 2007? With a possible name change? That is a shame, and I hope it doesn't mean that they will quit making Outback versions. There are some funny-looking photoshop interpretations of what Impreza's new face will look like with the new corporate "schnozz" from the Tribeca. A couple even purport to be official photos coming from Japan for their home market model, which arrives for them sooner than it arrives for us here.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Subaru is very good at avoiding the spies. My guess is we'll start seeing spy pics out of Japan starting this summer.

-juice
  • kc2iqfkc2iqf Posts: 1
    Sorry, I can not give you direct answer, but here is some suggestion at least!
    I've just put new tires on my OBS '98 (after very long research and consideration of different types) and my final selection was between BFG Traction T/A and Bridgestone Potenza RE 950. I consider them equal, but since I used to have Traction T/A on another car in the past - my choice was driven more by curiosity and now I am on Potenzas!!!
    They are great, beefy (but not heavy!!!) tires and I push them hard on cornering with great confidence! Besides they are pretty quiet!!!
    I did not have opportunity yet to drive in heavy rain, but on dry they are incredible! I wonder, why Subaru put RE 92's on Imprezas instead???
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I've found these to be the least expensive all around best tires for the subies. At around $65 on Tirerack how can you go wrong?

-mike
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    is there no thread for the Impreza sedan?

I am playing with the idea of getting back in to a Subie after three years absent from the flock, with this cheap lease they have right now - $189/Month for an RS stick without the sport package.

I had only driven the big Outback with this engine, and was surprised at how much it charges the road in this smaller package.

So what's the downside? I've never leased. Apparently it is $0 down too - they assured me at the dealership that I could get out of there with nothing paid except the first month's payment.

Are there any outstanding negatives to the current base Impreza? It has that "loose yet stuck to the ground" feel from AWD that I remember so clearly. The shifter is WAY better than the one in my '97 was. Is there anything that any owners here really dislike about their cars after living with them for a while?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Hi everybody ! Glad to meet ! Well , I became in a new subaru OBS user a few days ago , I bought a OBS for my wife , and now I am driving it. Well it´s a cool car , has only 1800 Km or 1100 Miles. My problem is the driver seat, specially , when I change it position longitudlly , sometimes , it not stay firm , and goes forward or back when i am driving , The seats adjustmente bad ? o I dont know how to adjust it ? Thank you very much !
  • jennycjennyc Posts: 1
    :D I'm new to this message board. Have been comparing Outback Sport Wagon and the Impreza Sport wagon. It seems like the "bottom line" difference is the "heavy duty suspension" of the OBS, with quite a difference in price.

Does anyone know what this means? How does the OBS ride differently than the Impreza? Is it basically that the OBS would be less bouncy on a road that is not paved??

And a general question, anyone out there with 04 or 05 of these Subaru wagons have any comments about them...kudos or complaints??! Looking for one in Vancouver, BC.

Appreciate any info that helps me make a decision! Thanks! :D
    Has two-tone paint and cross bars for the roof rails with built-in tie downs. Not much else changes. I'm not convinced that the suspension is significantly different, maybe a little more travel but that's about it.

obs_user: loose bolt in the seat track? Have your dealer inspect that soon, it's a safety issue.

nippon - not familiar with leasing at all, sorry.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.