Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Forte Real World MPG

jim1977jim1977 Posts: 14
I just took my Forte EX with the fuel economy package out on my first trip to central PA. It was about 75% highway driving not exceeding the speed limits, 20% secondary roads at 30-45 mph with a lot of hills and twists, and maybe 5% city driving, for a total of about 420 miles on my first measured tank. There was a lot of downshifting on the secondary roads. I had the A/C on most of the time, if only for the defogger, since we had a couple of days of moderate to heavy rain which probably doesn't help the mileage.

I got 34.4 mpg, which seems reasonable enough for now. The car only has 650 miles on it total. From what I read of the earlier Kia 2.0 L engine on the Spectra, it takes a long time, maybe 10k-20k miles, to break in properly. Whether that holds true on the new Theta II engine remains to be seen.
Tagged:

Comments

• timmer23timmer23 Posts: 24
    Three weeks ago I drove a Kia Forte EX with 5550 miles on the odometer as a rental car from Hertz 1850 miles round trip from Georgia to Pennsylvania. In addition to me driving, there was one adult passenger and the back seats as well as the trunk were packed full of camping gear, loaded coolers, and clothing for the weekend. Driving roughly 10 miles over the speed limit on the highway with the A/C on the entire time, I calculated 35 MPG.
  • And I just filled up for the fourth time after 463 miles. I got 38.3 mpg, but the driving was mainly easy highways at 55 to 65 mph, with about 30 miles of in-town driving. It seems that the Forte engine is getting broken in, with about 2000 miles on it now.
  • After first month avg mpg at 70 is about 33, 65-34, 60-35... I did get 39 mpg stuck in 45 mph traffic. This is all highway with minimal stops. Driving style non-agressive...which is hard to do in this car.
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Pittsfield MAPosts: 81
    edited February 2010
    The published EPA city/hwy numbers are 25/34. 80% of my driving is local, in the city, with an occasional hop to destinations 35-50 miles away. It's been averaging about 25.5 mpg in the first 2800 miles. Petrol here in Mass. is E10, so I expect to get an mpg or two less than with unadulterated gasoline. I topped off the tank before an expected trip yesterday, getting only 20.5 mpg; it was all city driving, and a good bit of idling, but disappointing nonetheless. When I returned from my trip of 215 miles (90% parkway at 60 mph average), I immediately refueled. The results? A stellar 38.5 mpg.
  • That is a good point about the E10. I got 42 mpg on a trip through Ohio on the Interstates with no E10, then got about 35 to 36 mpg on similar driving through Kentucky with E10. I hope the government takes that loss into account when they do their figures. Even better would be to drop E10 entirely, since it doesn't save much oil, considering all the energy it takes to produce it.
  • My last 3 fill-ups were in the 34 mpg range doing 20 city 80 highway on north east winter gas, our forte has 3500 mile on it in less then two months.
    I just returned from a trip to western New York State, a total of 663 miles, with a passenger and a trunk full of luggage. 5% was in city traffic, 10% on 55 mph secondary roads, and 85% on the NYS Thruway (I-90), where the cruise control was set at 72-73 mph (which I infrequently exceeded). My overall mileage was 33.8 mpg. :)
    I just returned from a trip to the Towson, MD area, from western Mass. The trip, each way, was 377 miles, virtually all of it Interstates (or equivalent). For the majority of the trip, cruise control was set at 72-73 mph. There was also 171 miles of local driving, for a total of 925 miles. My Forte EX returned 34.1 mpg on the way down, with the a/c always on. In local driving (a good mix of city, suburban, hilly rural, and highway), I got 27.5 mpg, again with the a/c constantly on. On the return trip, with almost no a/c use (sunroof tilted, driver's window down 1-1/2", and right rear passenger's window down 1-1/2"), it returned 34.6 mpg. The overall trip mpg was 32.8. The return trip was made in 5 hr 40 min (no stops), for an average speed of 66.5 mph.
  • lcw1lcw1 Posts: 35
    The 2.4 L on the Optima is listed as producing 24/35 MPG while the Forte SX 2.4 L produces
    23/ 32. Not nitpicking but trying to understand.
    The Optima's 2.4-L engine has direct injection (GDI), which makes it more efficient, both in fuel economy and horsepower.
  • lcw1lcw1 Posts: 35
    Thanks! That helps.
  • compensatecompensate Posts: 212
    edited April 2011
    I bought a 2011 Kia Forte 5-door with a 6-speed manual transmission to replace my 2001 Hyundai Elantra GT (250,000 miles on it).

On my first tank of gas (dealer filled tank before I left), I got 33.5 mpg. This consisted of about 10% stop-and-go city driving, 10% interstate highway cruising in rolling hills at about 75 mph, and 80% on back highways with lots of rolling hills (a few steep hills) at about 65 mph most of the time. I am also still learning to get the feel of this clutch, as I tend to over-rev a bit here and there. Also the gas is 10% ethanol and temps have ranged from 40 degrees (early morning drives) to 90 degrees (record high temp one day).

I'll try to post more mileage as I get the car slowly broken-in.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,711
    congratulations on the new Kia Forte sedan. Pop some pics in here if possible so we can see it. Kia is ever-impressive when compared to the rest of the automakers. I put the Germans as the most expensive cars that are really over-hyped, over-priced and utterly not worth even talking about.

But the South Koreans are the sharpest tacks out there if you take Mitsubishi of Japan out of the picture. Both Kia and Mitsubishi will make you a vehicle you can be proud of and that will last. Good gas mileage on your Forte there-nice to see you bought a manual tranny.

I think you're gonna absolutely love your 2011 Kia Forte sedan! Sounds like you already do!

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• vtcarguyvtcarguy Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 2011 Kia Forte 5 Door to replace my 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT with over 185,000 miles.
    The highway mileage with my KIA FORTE 5 door with the 6 speed automatic is absolutely terrible!
    With over 4,000 miles on the best mileage I have gotten is 29.68 miles per gallon compared to a highway estimate of 36mpg. I achieved 29mpg after over 300 miles of highjway driving by never going over 69 mph, using cruise control whenever possible and excelerating as slowly as possible. Typical is 26.5 to 28.5 mpg. My Hyundai always provided me with 31-32 MPG no matter how hard I drove it.
    Is anyone getting poor gas mileage with their Kia?
    There's obviously something wrong, like a malfunctioning oxygen sensor. Ask the dealer to check for OBD2 codes. With your type of driving, you should be getting highway mileage in the mid to upper-30s.
    Thanks jimpimms! I'll let you know how I make out
  • sschultzsschultz Posts: 1
    Strangely enough I also traded in a 2002 Elantra GT for this inefficient 5 door 2011 forte EX. I'm very disappointed with my gas mileage at 4K - averaging 29-30.5 MPG driving highway 40 miles a day between 50-70mph. Car is already in the shop for some horrendous driver side wheel noises - already regretting this purchase.
    I took my Forte to the Dealer and had them check everything out due to the poor mileage I am getting. "Nothing is wrong!" Kia Customer Assistance told me as long as I get at least the city rating of 26 there is nothing they are willing to do.
    I even went to so far as to talk to the Dealer about trading and then I decided I'm not giving Kia any more $. So if anyone wants to buy a 7 week old Kia with 4,000 miles on it at a substantial discount drop me a line. I headed back to Hyundai!
  • well, I got my 2010 forte EX last December with 1700km (demo??)
    and today, I got 18000KM (12000miles) on it.
    on my last trip of 1400km, I noticed fuel efficiency has increased to 40mpg or 7.1L/100km
    I always carry my tools and parts in my truck that weight about 200Lbs and I drive 110km/h to 120km/h on winter tire 16"
    I would say that before last trip it was giving me around 8.2L/100km
    My conclussion is that the weather can contribute/affect the fuel efficiency by far.
    This last trip the temp was around 7C and week before was around -5 ~-20C in avarage.
    So, hopfully, with the spring time and 4 season tire changes, the fuel comsumption gets better.
    cheers.

Gas price: CDN$1.239 / litre
    1CDN $= U$S 1.05
  • compensatecompensate Posts: 212
    First, it is interesting that several of us current Kia Forte5 owners used to own the Elantra GT 5 door. Probably because the newest Elantra 5-door is an ugly, boxy wagon, no longer resembling the true hatchback design of the earlier Elantra GT 5-door.

I have to agree with others about my 2001 Elantra GT - my gas mileage didn't change a lot, whether I drove it hard (95 mph) or easy (75 pmh). With a 5-speed manual, my Elantra got about 31-32 mpg consistently, even at 250,000 miles!

On a recent long roadtrip, I drove my 2011 Kia Forte EX a lot more aggressively. I followed a long convoy of speeding cars along I-75 at speed ranging from 85 to 95 mph. I also used the air conditioner. I got 28.5 mpg driving under those conditions. I was expecting to get better highway mileage, even when speeding, especially since each spark plug has its own "coil" unit mounted directly above it.

I'll keep checking the mileage and see how it changes.
  • jim1977jim1977 Posts: 14
    edited May 2011
    I returned a month ago from a 5000 mile trip from Pennsylvania to Texas in my Forte EX 2010 with the fuel economy package and 5-speed automatic (see the first post). Over mostly Interstates with the usual secondary roads and towns, I averaged 38.9 mpg, driving at the speed limit. The high was 42 mpg, and the low was 33.2 mpg, with some driving in downtown San Antonio, Austin and El Paso.

A/C was in use maybe half the time. The gas was of course 10% ethanol, and it would have been better mpg without it. I use Mobil I (5W-20) oil, and took a spare quart just in case, but it didn't burn any. I ended up with about 23,000 miles on the car now, and am pleased with it.
  • mml1mml1 Posts: 2
    Gee, you're doing quite well! I get 23-24 in mostly city driving. Have seen as high as 32 on the highway in the wintertime. I got comparable mileage, city and highway, with a 2001 Chevy Impala with the big V-6 engine!

The Impala had lots of mechanical issues since new; so far the Kia seems to be a better car but I am not impressed with the terrible mileage. Kia oughta be sued for false advertising... if that were possible (not sure it is.)
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    the vehicle depending on the engine is rated by the EPA at 23-26 mpg (US) for the city and 32-36 mpg for the highway. So you are getting what it claims so how can that be terrible mileage?

Mileage has nothing to do with Kia, all vehicles told in the US are tested to the same standards set by the EPA. So in no way is is false advertising, it always claims you mileage may vary due to a variety of conditions, its simply a guide to judge vehicles as they are all tested identical so its a fair assessment.
    The previous poster is exceeding the rated mileage. I bet you, that if 10 different people drove your car over a set route with a fixed distance and at the same time of the day, you would end up with 10 different fuel ratings.
  • mml1mml1 Posts: 2
    Roger that... had expected much better out of a small car with a 2.4L engine. 32 was ONE trip, done in winter. Generally sitting around 29-30 on the highway.

That said... it is summer in Florida, and I suspect that is the biggest culprit...
    edited July 2011
    I have a '10 EX 5-spd manual sedan. I bought this car because it has a nice balance of power and fuel efficiency, the handling is much better than one should expect from a simple torsion-beam rear suspension, and it's good-looking. It's a hoot to drive this car spiritedly.

My mileage around town is usually 22-23 mpg. Since I have a heavy foot, I'm not disappointed with those figures. Highway trips (300-400 mi. @ 70-75 mph, with occasionally higher bursts) are always in the 32-34 mpg range, which at those speeds I consider excellent.

My wife and I took a 100 mile round trip today, mostly on 45-55 mph non-Interstate roads (which I exceed by 5-10 mph, and I eventually pass anyone who doesn't). Combined with the 90 miles of mostly city traffic I had already clocked, I got just over 29 mpg.

No complaints here.
  • jessica82jessica82 Posts: 3
    edited September 2011
    I drive in the city and just calculated mine to be 21.7 on a 2011 Kia Forte 5 door. I don't have a heavy foot so I'm not sure why I'm getting less than advertised. My Eco light is usually on too. Hmmmm....
  • bmc4bmc4 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Forte 5door That I drove from gas station to gas station
    on I 95 going south from georga to Fl in eairly eve (not very Hot) going slightly down hill all the way on cruse from ramp to ramp 70mph with Eco light on all the way got 30.5 Mpg this is a real best case test for the car its a ex auto rated at 36hwy 26 city I took it to kia to have it checked they had me run 3 tanks of gas through it from the same staion to ck. local mpg which is Avg. 19mpg combined local & Hwy. I have spoken to the AG's office here in Fl. and they agree that this will fall under Fl lemon law and if KIA can't get car to with in epa's + or - Std. on this 3rd "fix" that they will have to take it back. I sugest others with same problem Call KIA and tell them they to will invoke there states Lemon laws I have other cars and have never had a car that I didn't get est mpg or better Even now my other cars on the same run beat est.
  • just bought a2011 kia forte ex. 6000 km. first tank of gas managed to squeak out 285 km ..all city driving. very light on the gas. i expected twice as much. city driving 16 liters per 100 km. whats up with that? any suggestions would b appreciated.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    how did you calculate that figure? Give us some figures so we can double check your calculation.
    I tracked my 2.4L Rondo over 14 months after purchase and the worse tank full I got was 11.8/100km and that was in extremely bad weather conditions.
  • gcoombsgcoombs Posts: 4
    edited November 2011
    i bought the car oct 12 11 with a full tank of gas and approx 6500 km.
    1 full tank is 51.8 liters. i drove this car,easy on the gas pedal, city driving ony, untill the gas indicater was just below the last mark. i got 288 km.
    car is rated to 573 km......9l/100km. seems i got 5.5km/liter. 49.5km/9liters,a little better than my previous figures. But still not what i was told to expect. the road condtions and weather were good.
    thanks
    gary
    NFLD