Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Sport Wagons

mluikeymluikey Posts: 3
edited March 14 in BMW
I just read the Sunday Chicago Tribune (June 20)
and they showed a picture of a BMW 3 Series wagon
and stated it will be offered in early 2000. The
playing field is starting to get real interesting.
Anyone know anymore about this car?

Comments

• fran2fran2 Posts: 1
    Check out the bmw.com website, rather than bmwusa.com. I found photos and some info on the 3-series wagon (now offered in Europe only).
  • daver63daver63 Posts: 2
    Autoweek (or is it Motorweek) recently had an article about BMW's new US offerings. I currently drive a 95 525iT (wagon) and have been toying around the idea of upgrading to a new 528iT or 540iT. They're very expensive, so I might also be interested in the new 3-wagons.

The global BMW website (previously mentioned) has some pictures of the 3-wagon, and I'm not as wild about the styling. I'm also unsure about the cargo space compared to the 5-series.

Regardless, soon as a local dealer gets one, I'll be there asking for a testdrive.
  • twoof1twoof1 Posts: 308
    Has anyone heard of an official release date for the 3-series wagon? Will it be available in the 323 and 328 levels? has anyone read any reviews? any web sites that have the specs?
    Just curious about this car,
    thanx
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    BMW's web site has some info. http://www.bmw.com
  • C&D reviewed the wagon in their latest mag. Unfortunately, it will be available with the 323 (2.5l) engine only. Price is a hair under 30K before options. Wasn't clear from the article what the performance numbers would be as it looks like they actually drove the 328 version - available in Europe only.

I had ruled out the 3 series because of lack of rear seat room. But in the wagon they've moved the rear seat back an inch, which should help a lot.

Plus, with the added weight in the back they come closer to 50/50 weight distribution. Perhaps the wagon will out-handle the sedan??
    I just stopped by a local BMW dealer here in southern California to ask about the 3-series wagon. He said that BMW has pulled the plug on bringing the 3-series wagon to the USA. His reasoning was that with the new X5 and the slow sales of the 528 wagon, they were not going to further dilute their market by bringing in the new wagon.
    Bummer.......
  • I guess I will run out and get my Avant, I was waiting to look at a 3 wagon only because I like the design and already have a A4 in the family ( amazing car ).
    Is this confirmed or just another rumor?
    I stopped by 2 other local BMW dealers and got different answers.
    1 said they will be manufactured starting June 2000 for intro into US as 2001 models in 325 and 330 model levels!!.
    1 said intro into US later this model (2000) year. Anyone with more info, please contribute
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    For what it is worth the 3 series wagon is listed in the EPA mileage guide for 2000. So it has been certified.
  • Noticed a drive test in the November Car& Driver so they seem to think it is still coming.
    Oh well, I just bought the Saab 9-5 wagon, didn't want to wait for a car plus the deals right now are hard to pass up. I just bough a fully loaded one msrp 34,795 for 32,000 and at 2.9 apr for 4 years. was going to lease but hey this way I can do what I want with the car and even sell it if I decide I want a bmw wagon after they come out. The best thing is that I have only seen 1 Saab wagon on the road in a city of many many Saabs and I have already seen many many new bmw coupes out.
  • I was told by my local dealer that I should look for the first 3 series wagons to arrive in March. He had no information on engines, MSRP's, etc. Didn't seem very interested in building a relationship. Maybe he knew (or suspected) more than he was letting on. Meanwhile, if they're having such a tough time unloading the 5 series, maybe there are bargains to be had!
  • For anyone who's interested, the BMW USA website has pictures of the new 3 wagon expected out in early 2000 under the news section.
  • denisjei:

Thanks for posting the info on the 3wagon. I'd be interested to know the source of your information that the 3-series wagon has an extra inch of space in the rear seat as compared to the sedan.

Check out these specs from the edmunds sheet:

323i
    Front Leg Room: 41.4 in.
    Rear Leg Room: 34.6 in.

528iT Sport Wagon
    Front Leg Room: 41.7 in.
    Rear Leg Room: 34.2 in.

I realize that the 3series has a little less head room and less shoulder room than the 5series wagon, but isn't the biggest factor in comfort the leg room? Especially if the 3wagon is going to have that extra inch, I would be taking an longer look at the 3wagon when and if it comes. Any other insight?
  • I hadn't really considered owning a wagon until I saw the 323 sport wagon. The styling is much better than anything I've ever seen.

It looks like it'll be here in March. You can read all of the details on the bmwusa site - find the link under the News & Events menu.
    The BMWUSA.COM web site now has pricing information and you can custom build it with options. Looks like release to dealers in March or April
  • Saw a 3 series in St. Louis the past Sunday. Test-drove a Passat GLX. Trying to decide between the two.

From specification I read, it looks like Bimmer is overall smaller, either dimensions or power. Passat offers more, leather and sun roof standard on GLX. If they are comparably equipped, bimmer would be at least 5 thousands more. So, what do you think?
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Posts: 121
    Calvin,

Depends on your needs. Can't say that I've sat in the 3 series, but from what I've read it sounds more comparable to the Audi A4. If you have a small family and need the space, then the Passat is the way to go. Plus, you can now get AWD with the Passat. The BMW will certainly be the better handling car of the two...think of it as a 3 series sedan with a "fanny pack"

Good luck in your decision!

George
  • mstsscmstssc Posts: 89
    If you really like to 'drive' your cars, don't ever ever take a BMW for a drive unless you are prepared to buy.

Steve
  • 4thedogs4thedogs Posts: 2
    I whole-heartedly agree with Steve!! This is the car I've been waiting for with one reservation - last time we were in the market, my hubby vetoed the 5-series wagon ('94) because the battery is under the back seat. Will this be the case for this wagon too?
  • newtobmwnewtobmw Posts: 1
    I will be buying either the BMW 323iT or the Audi A4 wagon. Two questions: Any positive or negative experiences with the BMW wagon; and is the rear wheel drive bad for snow. I would like to buy the BMW but do not want to sacrifice safety.
This discussion has been closed.