Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series Sport Wagons

Comments

• Options
    whoughwhough Member Posts: 4
    Do the rear seats in the BMW 3 series wagon fold down completely flat?
  • Options
    vanaldervanalder Member Posts: 29
    I have a 5 wagon, but also looked very closely at the
    3 wagon. NEITHER of them have a PERFECTLY flat deck when
    the seat is down. In the 5, I finally figured out how to
    remove the center headrest. Then, with the three headrests
    removed, it's ALMOST flat. I have made a two-piece 1/4"
    plywood arrangement (with tie-down hooks on the plastic
    frame I attached) that does a great job of protection and
    carrying anything that will fit through the tailgate.
    Remember the 5 does have the advantage of the lack
    of wheel wells blocking part of the rear section.

Good luck on your decision.

Daan

PS- I tried to email this, but the mailer daemon gave back:
    "550 User whough@pacificnet.net Unknown"
    D.
  • Options
    dp11dp11 Member Posts: 1
    well 2 years & 35k miles later it's time to get rid of my 2000 323ti wagon which I loved. Looking at Audi this time around would appreciate any feedback. thanks
  • Options
    esq1esq1 Member Posts: 20
    Read the previous posts for a discussion of BMW vs. Audi. They're both fine wagons. The Audis have more options and extras for the dollar and have better financing options right now. However, I recently chose the BMW. One day in a parking lot, a woman in a black 325 wagon pulled up next to me, thereby holding up traffic. She rolled the window down (causing everyone behind to honk) and, looking at my shiny new orient blue wagon, said "isn't it great? I feel like a kid with a big toy." That pretty much sums it up for me.
  • Options
    ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    Anyone know or is there any truth that BMWNA will import the 3-series sport Wagon with the 3 liter in mid 2003?

I am reviewing my European Delivery choices for 2003.

Thanks
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I doubt it. The rumor I'm hearing is that they're dropping the 3-series wagon after the 2003 MY to make way for the 3-series-based SUV. I'd be extremely surprised if they would produce a new model/engine combo for such a short run.

- Mark
  • Options
    rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    I don't think so either. At the time I ordered the 325xiT last February, I had inquired if BMW had any plan to put the 3.0 engine in the 3 series wagon, the answer was no. They don't want it to take away any potential sales from the 525 and 540 wagons.
    I have been very happy with the 325xiT and consider the power sufficient for me. The road holding in snow and icy road has been simply fantastic even without winter tires so far.
    I hope your rumor of discontinuing the 3 series wagon is true. That would really make the 325 wagon even more unique, the characteristic I have valued to have determined my purchase.
  • Options
    beetlerunbeetlerun Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm trying to decide b/w a 2001 CPO BMW 325iT Wagon and a 2002 (Rental) Audi A4 Quattro 3.0. The potential downsides that we are weighing: BMW wagon has limited cargo/trunk space relative to the A4; A4 has low reliability ratings from Consumer Reports.

The considerations: We are expecting our first child in Feb. I'd like to make sure we have enough space to not outgrow the car in 8-10 years (I know - long timer; my current car is a Buick Skylark '90, if you can believ it!) but I don't want a "wagon" at this stage. I would like something fun and sporty. I will use the car mostly for city driving, lugging a stroller (which fits)or jogger and groceries. Seldomly, I need to haul stuff in the back seat of my Buick (which is quite accommodating) and take trips to the Tahoe during ski season.

These considerations made the BMW 325i T wagon a great candidate. But I'm concerned about space, esp., since most owners of the CPO models we've looked at seemed to use it more for dogs than kids. So I would *really* like to get the direct perspective of parents of kids and where they weigh in on space. Will I outgrow this if we are lucky enough to have 2 kids??? Is that much of a difference?

My husband drives a '98 A4 Quattro 2.8 which we really like. He hasn't had that many issues, but a few electrical things which can obviously be costly in European cars. ALL maintenance/repair/etc. costs over not warranty years have averaged $1,600/year. The new 2002 3.0 model has expanded back seat leg room and slightly more trunk space to boot. The car just feels roomier overall. But we don't know what to make of the Consumer Reports low reliability rating.

Also, the 2001 BMW (19K) has a CPO warranty that runs til end of 2007 (or 100K) - 5 years - and the 2002 A4 (19K) has a warranty that ends 2006 (or 50K) - which avg. 3 more years. This is where reliability comes into play, esp. since we plan to hold the car for 8+ yrs. At an avg. future maintenance cost of $2,000/yr, or $4,000 for the 2-yr warranty difference, this is a wash with the $3,500 extra cost of the BMW.

Any thoughts? We need to make a decision soon, this weekend,hopefully, before bambino arrives :-) Thanks!!
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    If you put the words "avant" and "bmw" into the open search box on the left side of the page, and you'll find a few archived wagons discussions comparing these two. Also, feel free to start up a new "BMW 3-Series vs. Avant 4 Wagons" discussion if you'd like, and I'll help plug the new discussion in some of the other discussions here.

You said: "The considerations: We are expecting our first child in Feb..." AND "So I would *really* like to get the direct perspective of parents...."

Have you had a chance to check out Edmunds.com's new Family section? Thought you might find this interesting.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your decision. ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • Options
    rjk55425rjk55425 Member Posts: 3
    I have a family of 4, my 2 boys are 7 and 10. I thought I needed more room because of them so I stupidly bought a mini-van in 1995. I hated it. It was great to have the room on road trips but I hated driving it every day. Seemed especially wasteful when I was alone. I prefer sporty cars, the sportier the better. Have owned several 2 seaters. A couple years ago, I drove a 3 series and just had to have one. I resisted even looking at these in the past because I thought they were just too small. Seemed like the 5 series was more what I needed but too pricey.

I went for the sportwagon, did the Euro delivery about 2 years ago, which was fantastic. Like taking delivery of a new car twice. Went with rear wheel drive, sport pkg, HK stereo, xenons, 5 speed manual, steel grey. And to be extra sporty, picked the tanin red leather interior. I love this car. It is so fun to drive, really don't realize it is a wagon. I would personally stay away from the AT and AWD but thats me. I wanted light and fast as possible and I am convinced I really have a sports car :). I put 16" snows on in the winter and I never feel that I need AWD, this thing really gets around.

But the big question for you is does it have enuff space? It does for us. We bought a ski rack and one of those aero Thule roof boxes. It is rather short, doesn't hang over the windshield at all and comes close to the edge of the back of the vehicle but I can easily open the tailgate with it on top. I live in Minnesota and we routinely take it on 3-5 hour trips, summer and winter. Last year we drove to Colorado in it, hauling skis, boots and heavy winter clothing for 4 people, everything fit in the back and in the roof box. It was amazing everything fit. And we are planning to do it again this spring!

In hindsight, maybe I should have gotten slightly longer roof bars, so I could fit both the ski rack and the box on the roof at the same time, now its one or the other. But it might look goofy with the bars sticking out over the sides so much, it looks very tidy now. I don't even use the ski rack much, its easier to just fold down part of the rear seat and stick the skis inside. Its a bit tight for the boys but they don't mind on short trips. I didn't get the ski sack cause I planned to get the box and ski rack. I can post or send a picture of the box on top of the car, it doesn't look bad.

Will be interesting to see if I feel the same way about this car in the teenage years. I have no intention of parting with it so I should find out.

My wife picked up a Lexus IS300 sport cross last fall. This is smaller but sportier than the BMW wagon. She loves it but we would never take it on a trip when we can haul all we can in the BMW.

The only other wagon I seriously considered was the Audi A4. Its nice and has more rear storage but I was concerned about holding its value and reliability. If I had to have AWD, would probably have bought this model. The Passat just wasnt fun or sporty enuff for me and the Subarus are not my style.

I have 25K miles on the BMW, no problems to date. Going in for my second of three free services/inspections tomorrow. No regrets here.
  • Options
    jdbtensaijdbtensai Member Posts: 122
    i have come across this car. is it a good price?

2002 325it (wagon) 14,500 miles.
    sports package. premium package.
    i don't know much about bmw's, but it seemed to have everything. leather, cd player, heated seats, auto dimming mirrors, xenon lights, etc.
    it's a step (for my wife).
    selling for $30,000. is that a good deal?
    i saw others that were the same going for $35k+.
    it is cpo by the way
  • Options
    harmonoffharmonoff Member Posts: 6
    to sleep in the back of a 325iT? I read earlier that the loadbed is not completely flat, but if you do take off the head rests, put the seats forward etc, is possible to get a good nights sleep if you are under 6ft tall? Anybody that can comment on the 5 series wagon in comparison?

I lied down in a jetta wagon and found that i just fit, if i lied diagonal. The mazda wagon was just to short, and the seats didn't fold down perfectly flat, like the jetta.

How do the 325iT seats fold down? Do the cushion bottoms fold up and the backrests then fold down flat or does the back rest just fold forward on top of the cushion, making a slight(or significant) incline? Thanks.
  • Options
    jdbtensaijdbtensai Member Posts: 122
    living by the adage, "you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house"?
  • Options
    cwpnewpaltzcwpnewpaltz Member Posts: 1
    For twenty years I drove BMW-7's, starting with a five speed long since gone to Valhalla. When I moved to snow country I added an SUV. Then in 2000, I found BMW 7's unchanged, boring and overpriced and moved to a Jaguar convertible, getting a Lexus RX 300 as the SUV. The Jaguar doesn't handle like a BMW, but it sure is fun with the top down. The Lexus is never fun.

I am dying to get out of the SUV trap. I hate the gas mileage (even though the Lexus gets 21 mpg on the highway, vs. a rated 23, and is by far best of class.) I hate feeling like I'm driving a truck, even though it's the most car- like of the genre. I don't much like the road handling either--and it's too easy to go 90 mph when there's no road feel. But I sure do like the fact that it goes through anything. I had to put the Jaguar in the garage on Christmas eve, as the first major blizzard hit, and couldn't take it out until February 28. The Lexus kept me moving.

Time is up on the leases, and I've been racking my brain for a combo that makes sense. Saw the 325xi yesterday, and thought it was drop dead gorgeous. Perfectly adequate space for me -- I just carry some cases of wine around, plus some clothes that go back and forth from country house to a city apartment as the seasons change, not a football team. I have to confess, I can't get excited about the looks of the A-4 or A-6 wagons. Have considered the Saab, but it's probably not me any more than the Subaru. Maybe the Mercedes C-class AWD wagon would be better than the 325xi, but I've seen nothing on this site comparing the two. Does anyone who has one think the 325xi will satisfy my need for some fun behind the wheel and substitute for the SUV given my limited hauling needs? And any advice vis a vis the Mercedes?
  • Options
    cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    Hi Christian. I am awaiting my 325xi which should arrive this week. Although my previous lease was a Sabb 9-5 sedan,my vehicle before that was a Jeep Cherokee sport. The SUV's today are becoming very car like and no longer fit the category of a truck. I was quite fond of my Cherokee and even though the ride was quite unstable and rough,it was always fun to drive. I just can't get exited about the new breed of SUV's (Lexus RX300/330,Volvo X90,Mercedes ML,etc,etc)I just don't see the point in driving a tall station wagon,which is what they are, when you can have a fun to drive sporty one such as the BMW,Volvo,Audi,Mercedes,VW,have way more fun driving them and just as much cargo space without all that extra weight to carry around.
    Enough about those.. I tested quite a few wagons before deciding on the BMW and for me, it was the best for my needs and I loved the styling. There are many other models to choose from which may be bigger,faster,cheaper so it all comes down to what suits your needs taste and budget.
    The Mercedes C wagon is quite nice and I was looking at it myself. I would say it's certainly on par with the BMW and will come down to your personal taste. Other great vehicles are the Volvo V70 T5 and the Saab 9-5 Wagon. I wont mention the Audi since you have already ruled that out.
    good luck!
  • Options
    subie_wrxsubie_wrx Member Posts: 15
    As a former 99 328i owner, I hope my post is credible to you. If luxury features aren't totally important to you, but performance and all weather handling are - check out a WRX wagon. It's faster than my 328i was and more fun to drive. I only have the 16" wheels so with 205 rubber it has less total grip than the 225X50X16 I had on the BMW, but you can get different wheels/tires. The rear wheel bias makes the handling closer to BMW than any other car I have ever driven. I never drove a 325, but I did drive several 323's and I would take a WRX over one any day of the week. If I could afford a 540 wagon, it would be a different story
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You better hurry. I read recently that with the intro of the X3 that the 3 series wagon may not be offered any longer.
  • Options
    imadroneimadrone Member Posts: 33
    I, also, had seen the distressing rumor that the 3-series wagon might be discontinued. Since we have planned to order a manual, SP, 2004 325iT via ED, I was pleased to learn from our sales rep recently that the 3-series wagon will indeed be produced for at least the 2004 MY.

Richard
  • Options
    autocluelessautoclueless Member Posts: 6
    Do you guys have any experiences with these
    sports wagon? I am looking at them (and
    trying to convince my dear wife that we need a wagon -
    must be getting middle-aged :o) ).

I have seen the BMW, MB, and Audi (haven't located
    the Lexus yet). They are really nice and cute
    cars. Sort of leaning toward the MB/BMW.
    However, based on my experience
    with my '00 S class MB, i am not sure i want to
    get another MB (as a matter of fact, any German
    car) in this life time.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi John.. All are fine choices.. I just took delivery on a BMW 325xi and I'm thrilled with it.
    I did look at the Audi very closely and the MB a little. I also was seriously considering the Volvo but after test driving the BMW,my choice was made very easy. Having tons of space was not an issue for me as my kids are growing up and we don't need to haul around alot of stuff. I wanted something that was fun to drive but still maintain somewhat of a practical nature and the BMW fit the bill. If you are looking for comfort and more room,do not hesitate to go for one of the Volvo wagons.. It's very nice in both cross country and traditional variations. Also,just to open up your choices,the Saab 9-5 wagon is also on par with the Volvo IMHO.
    Good luck!
    !
  • Options
    Thanks cabbatan1!
    The "xi" is the AWD version, correct?
    (i guess AWD is very handly up there in
    the beautiful Great White North :o) )

You said that you looked at the Audi
    very closely. Just curious - why did
    you pick BMW instead of Audi.

I saw an amulet red A4 1.8T wagon on the road
    when i drove home tonite.
    It had a young family with a couple of
    kids in the back. It is a very cute car.
    (actually i do like audi a lot - i am worry
    about the reliability and the resale values
    of these cars).

We did test drive a Volvo XC70 (sort of a hybrid
    suv/wagon). I must say we weren't
    very impressed. Also, i think the Volvo's
    styling is definitely sub-par compared to
    Audi/BMW/MB (personal taste, i guess).
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    I'll just chime in as one of very few SportCross owners here (or anywhere for that matter)! ;)

My personal quest came down to the IS300 SportCross and the 325it, and the decision was not an easy one at all. I also drove the Avant, but my focus was RWD, which really left me with those two and the 320.

The 320 was sort of, well, frumpy, for my tastes, and handling and sporting feel aren't at all the same as either the 325 or the IS, IMO. So I tossed it out early on.

Aesthetically, I thought the A4 Avant was the hands-down winner inside and out. The design is unerringly clean, and the interior is something to sing about. It also handled beautifully, but FWD was out and AWD was pricey and unecessary (CA sunshine and some rain - no snow), and doesn't really feel like RWD when all is said and done.

Between my final two, the choice was based on opinions similar to the critics findings, only for me they worked in reverse. The IS cockpit has nearly the same dimensions as the 325, yet feels closer. The critics see that as a negative while I much, much prefer a close cockpit. The styling is also suspect according to the critics, and I fell in love with it at first glance. I have no real need for the clear rear lenses, but then again, I'm not repulsed.

I think my locale has something to do with it as well, truth be known. SF Bay Area is pretty much Bimmer-ville, so if you want to find your car in the mall lot, well, you get the idea! There are so many of them around, I think I may have been looking out for the anti-Bimmer. ;)

The IS's weak spot is the interior, which lacks consistency in materials and cohesiveness in design. When I say it that way, it sounds attrocious, but frankly, I rather like it, it's just that things could be tidied up a fair bit on the next go round.

That's really all from this end. My ever-so-generous lease terms are up in 34 months, and given SportCross sales and the model's questionable future, I will likely turn to the 3 wagon next time. At least, as long as Mr. Bangle is put in restraints around the drawing board, that is. And of course, so long as a 3__it is available! A 330it would have done it this time! :)
  • Options
    Good question John. Firstly,you are correct about the 325xi being awd.. Actually the torque is split 62%to the rear and 38%to the front and of course it allocates more to the rear or front when required. It's pretty typical of the electronic awd systems available today. Yes,it is very handy to have awd in Canada however,I must admit,we don't get much snow here in Toronto compared to some of the out lying areas. Anyway,let me answer your question regarding the BMW vs Audi. The Audi is gorgeous and no doubt quite possibly one of the best looking wagons on the market. For me,it came down to the driving dynamics and sheer brute force of the BMW 6 vs the 4 cyl Audi. The Audi turbo just felt under powered with the automatic. I did test drive the 5 speed manual and it was quite a bit livlier but I decided that auto was the way to go with an awd wagon.( I just came off of a 3 year lease that had manual and I was tired of it)
    The BMW felt just right. I can't quite put my finger on it.
    I'm sure the Audi 3.0 would have been excellent but the monthly lease price for this was going to be huge,much more than the BMW. Also,at the exact time I was car shopping,BMW Canada dropped their lease rate by almost 3 points from 7.75% to 4.9%. This was just a bonus for me as I had already made my decision to go for the BMW.
    I won't try to convince you to go the BMW route.. In fact,when I see the Audi drive by,my jaw still drops.. I wish I could own them both. Good luck John!
  • Options
    ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    I too was looking over the small wagon segment. I decided on the BMW because I like the way it drove, it is very functional for my needs and I got a great deal with European Delivery.
  • Options
    Thanks again for sharing your collective experiences.
    It has been most valuable and helpful.

We went out and look very carefully today.

I think the MB is out (the dealer did offer
    a somewhat attractive lease term on a C240
    wagon). However, my wife did not like the
    car that much (she was spoiled by her S).

Test drove the Audi A4 3.0L wagon. Beautiful
    car! Great drive. (the car was loaded -
    sticky price shock!!!).

Also looked at the BMW. Great drive/look.
    Seems to be cheaper than Audi (i guess it
    is not an apple to apple comparison).

We also saw the Lexus IS300 wagon. Very nice
    until my wife saw the front. She did not like
    it. I don't know why i did not know about this
    car before i bought my RX300. I think this
    IS300 wagon would be a lot more fun and good
    looking. And it is a lot more rare (i swore
    1 in 3 cars in northern CA is a RX300!).
    Great price too. I suspect that there would
    not be a lot of choices in cars. I only saw
    a demo unit in the parking lot.

The gratifying thing is that my wife agrees that
    these small sport wagons are really good looking
    and sporty (before this, she imagine these cars
    to look like Sable/Taurus). :o)

Perhaps, it is coming down to BMW and Audi.
    We will see if we can get a better deal compared
    to their advertised sticker price.

cheers.
  • Options
    bo_chungbo_chung Member Posts: 61
    Had it for a couple of weeks now and I must say, it's great. Wagons are much less common and they look better, in my opinion. Right amount of power, handling, etc.. I highly recommend it to anyone, even if you don't need a wagon since it loses nothing to the sedan. Got out of an SUV and the difference in driving is night and day.
  • Options
    makakiomakakio Member Posts: 25
    I've impatiently watched first-owners take the depreciation hit on 1 or 2-year-old models with this car. Fortunately for them (not so for me) the cars appear to hold value well.

I'm in the market for a 2000 or 2001 wagon (2WD only). With 25k miles prices tend to bend to somewhere around $21-23k for nice examples here in NorCal.

Question: what are problem areas with these cars?

I've only read about one problem here and that was a passenger-door mirror that did not always tilt down when the car was shifted into reverse. I've noticed that most 2000 models I'm seeing for sale are now accumulating around 30k miles and I'm wondering if there are any ugly gremlins to the 323 powertrain, electrical systems or if the iT body (read: rear hatch area) suffers from wear-induced flaws?

There is one consumer rating on this site whereas 'an owner' reports that their 323iT has spent nearly it's entire life at the dealer but adds no reasons as to why. Which is totally suspect in my book. My mother once spent the better part of 100k miles complaining to the dealer about a slight whirring noise in her Mazda MPV that would never replicate for *anyone*. And that car went to 130k miles before she sold it with zero non-maintenance repairs...

So, are there any hitches to this car's giddyup or is it indeed perfect?

Appreciate the info,
    Matt
  • Options
    jameswbcoxjameswbcox Member Posts: 17
    More problems than you would want with the three series wagon, and iterations.
    Radio Am problems, Ac controller 2 times, rotors 3 times in sixty thousand mi.,various sensors etc, to the tune of ten trips in two years other than oil changes.
    I have owned Jags, Porsches, Triumphs, Austin Healeys and innumerable Chryslers ans never had problems like these.
    This car should be all but free from defects.
    You are hearing the truth.
    James Cox, Guilford, CT
  • Options
    be careful, I have had unbelievable problems with my 2000 wagon- you don't want to know- I have had many exotics, but have not been back to the shop as often as this. Come on BMW contact me and pay me for my pain.
    James Cox, Guilford, Ct
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Line the 3er's roof with aluminum foil. That will keep the Black Helicopters and off-world insurgents from tracking your movements. You are hearing the truth.
  • Options
    makakio, re: passenger-side mirror, I think the switch must be in the left position for the mirror to tilt down. You leave it in the right position if you don't want it to tilt down. But then, it's possible it won't work in either position. Anyway, why not go for a used 325iT? A little more power and probably less problems.

james, sorry to hear that you've had so many problems. I generally go for cars that are late in the model cycle. That way most known defects are worked out and the deal is much better. In this case, I also got more HP than the earlier 323s. I leased mine since I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it past 3yrs. If I run into significant problems, I'll walk away at the end and try another make/car like Audi Avant. I also liked the Audi but BMW offered much better deal.
  • Options
    You are beyond redemption, brainwashed. I have been in the retail car biz for 30 years, after 8yrs with Chrysler Corp.
    I have owned,Triumph, Austin Healey, Jag 120, Jag EType, three Porsches, and curently own a Boxster.
    I know I am qualified to speak on almost any subject automotive.
    Truth about my Bimmer was as stated, many difficulties, 10 trips to dealer for other than regular service, not acceptable. Love many things about the car, but we must face the facts.
    Jim
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    LOL! All that and humility too! You da MAN!!!
  • Options
    Bo and James. When did the 325iT comre available for the US market? And was it sold in 2WD versus all-wheel?
  • Options
    The 325ix came on the market in 2001 I believe, and in 2000 you could only get the 323i wagon. Engine still being the 2.5 liter, if that is what you are asking.
    Jim
  • Options
    Yep - that's what I was asking. It sounds as if this was a problematic model for you and after 10 years of problem-free miles on my MBZ 190 2.6 (135k miles and counting), I'm somewhat hesitant to seriously consider this car because of the implied expense of *fixing* it (*maintaining* is another, palatable thing). Funny - there's 225 posts here that are overwhelmingly positive about this car although only one very strong non-recommend. Anyone else care to pipe up for some balance? And I think I'd lean towards a 2001/2002 325iT (no AWD for me thank you - this care is already overweight). My understanding is that the 323/325 difference was simply a badge, not an engine change? And James: what year was your iT? First-year model E46?
    Thanks all - my experience says german stuff can be completely reliable or a complete money pit and the owning experience can be more or less determined by the research you do before shelling out the initial bucks...
    Matt
  • Options
    The horsepower ratings for 323 & 325 are 170 and 184, respectively. 2.5 liter engine was considered to have higher potential from the beginning. It's my understanding that BMW "detuned" the 323 engine so that it wouldn't come too close to the 328 (190HP)at the time. Who would pay thousands more for just 6 more horses? When they replaced 2.8liter with 3.0, it was then safe to unleash the 184HP 2.5.
  • Options
    ddrake30ddrake30 Member Posts: 18
    Although you might be looking for negative owner experiences, I can only speak positively about the 3 wagon. I've owned a CPO '99 323i for a year now and recently purchased a used 2001 325i wagon with 12K miles. The car had a pristine repair record so I was fairly comfortable with the purchase. 5,000 miles later in only 2 months time and my wife and I are thoroughly enjoying the car. My opinion: the 323iT might feel a bit sluggish, particularly with an auto transmission; the extra horsepower definitely helps.
  • Options
    Makakio, you may have a very positive experience with this car-- I was in the car biz for many years and was disappointed. I expected much more.
    My model year is 2000, and I think e46 is not the first version here. 323/325 is just a badge change, the displacement is still 2.5 litres, and my HP is 170. I drove a 2003 a week ago and it has the extra 14 HP which transformed the car in my mind.
    Don't get me wrong, I really love a lot of things about the car and would probably buy another,but I did expect more. Comments from purists like div2 who can't accept possible problems drive me up the proverbial wall.
    I would like to be helpful, by the way have you checked the e46 problems part of this website, it bears out my probs.
    Jim
  • Options
    ddrake30ddrake30 Member Posts: 18
    Although you might be looking for negative owner experiences, I can only speak positively about the 3 wagon. I've owned a CPO '99 323i for a year now and recently purchased a used 2001 325i wagon with 12K miles. The car had a pristine repair record so I was fairly comfortable with the purchase. 5,000 miles later in only 2 months time and my wife and I are thoroughly enjoying the car. My opinion: the 323iT might feel a bit sluggish, particularly with an auto transmission; the extra horsepower definitely helps.
  • Options
    FYI: I also remember that when 323 was first released, the base suspension was considered "too soft" and steering "too light." BMW made what was the sport suspension then, standard in later years. The steering was also made stiffer.
  • Options
    I appreciate the clarifications and comments with regard to tech stuff and ownership. This car does look like it's going to fit my requirements and will save me from either commuting with a (relatively) boring Passat or facing a two-car solution (Passat for the room and probably something like a Miata for commuting).

But I think I'll be looking at the 02/03 325 instead of the 323 as it will have an auto...

Again - thanks.
  • Options
    lilipeutialilipeutia Member Posts: 9
    I am planning to buy a 325xi wagon with a manual transmission and am interested in Park Distance Control but am not sure how it works out in practice. My dealer said it was an unpopular option and mentioned that if people walk behind the car when it is stopped at a traffic light it can beep repeatedly. I don't understand why it would go off if the car were not in reverse.

But anyway, how useful have people found it?
  • Options
    We have this option on our 325ixT and it works well. I don't know why your salesman made up that story about beeping at stop light. Actually I have seen this option on cars quite a bit now including on a few M3 and M5, not to mention X5. We like this option as an additional safety item, although not a "must" one.
  • Options
    lilipeutialilipeutia Member Posts: 9
    Thanks rhmass! Can you tell me anything more about how this works in practice? How loud is it? Can you hear it from outside the car? When is it most useful?--it sounds like it's intended for parallel parking but would it also keep you from hitting your neighbor's golden retriever?
  • Options
    I never tried to listen from outside, so, can't really tell if one can hear from outside. The sound isn't that loud. It indicates the distance from the object, including your neighbor's golden retriever, by the frequency of its beeping, not the loudness. So the closer it gets to the object, the quicker the beeping cones on to the point of a constant sound when the bumper is practically almost touch the object. For my family, I believe it is a worthwhile safety device at a reasonable price. Some devices provided by certainly high-end cars now actually use cameras for the driver to see what's behind the vehicle.
  • Options
    adgrantadgrant Member Posts: 13
    Get the Park Distance, it is much cheaper than having your bumper cover repaired not to mention the damage your could do to another car or person.

Also for the record, the car has been flawless. Our other car, a 99 323i has had a few problems and did break down once. Because repairs and maintaince on a BMW can be so expensive, I am replacing it with a 04 325xi sedan.
  • Options
    rjk55425rjk55425 Member Posts: 3
    I have this on my 01 IT. The car has been very reliable. I seem to recall the range on this was better though at one time, now it seems to go off almost too late to be of any benefit. One neat thing, if you are in reverse and not yet moving, a small animal or child crossing the path of the car would set it off.

so am taking it in under warranty to have it checked before it expires within 30 days.
  • Options
    tomlinstomlins Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have any feedback on JMK BMW?
  • Options
    bouncy888bouncy888 Member Posts: 3
    This is my first time buying a BMW. I got a good deal on a 2003 325i wagon but I can't make up my mind about whether I should lease or buy. I like the car and I don't mind keeping it. It's just many people told me that I should not lease because there may be problem with BMW after 4 or 5 years and it will cost a lot to fix. Also, the 3 series will have a new body style in 2005. Any suggestion? Anybody own a BMW for over 5 years?
This discussion has been closed.