Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• oskee99oskee99 Posts: 3
    I previously posted my frustration with trying to get my Equinox with 28000 miles serviced under the drive train warranty. The GM dealer where my car was towed said we had to have every single oil change receipt since the car was new or GM would deny our claim. Because we were missing two, they told us GM would deny our claim and we would have no recourse. Someone on this site suggested getting my car to a different dealer. Thank heavens I did so. It is being fixed under warranty with no problems, and this dealer gave me a new loaner to use until my car is fixed. Thanks to the person who suggested I go to a different dealer. That was about a $6000 piece of advice! GM knows they have oil/engine problems with the 2010. Don't let a poor dealer screw you!
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    SUGGESTION:

Once you get your vehicle back from the dealer, have all future oil and filter service performed by that dealer. All of your service records will then be in one location. In addition, there will be no discussion with regards to the "quality of the oil," and the "quality of the oil filters" being used in the service operation. ------- CHANGE YOUR OIL AND FILTER OFTEN! ---- (Clean engines are HAPPY engines!) Service records are very important with regards to getting warranty service. I am glad everything worked out for you. ----- Best regards! ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • missmo1951missmo1951 Posts: 11
    I live far from the Chev. dealership, but my local mechanic who has competently done all of my oil changes is certified by Chevrolet/GM. I would never attempt or allow a non-certified individual to touch my engine.
    I paid cash for the 2010, I got 12,500 as trade in, $2700, for an incentive from Chev. and $1500 instant rebate. I paid $9000. in cash for the new car. It was worth it for the peace of mind. The stalling terrified me as I frequently drive with grandkids and would prefer not to get run over by a truck.
    My car was maintained exactly as the book stated. I agree, metal shavings in oil were indicative of some larger issue as was the stalling.
  • cjgacjga Posts: 17
    You would think Chevy would have something to say and do about these issues.......will not buy another chevy for sure.
  • nox123nox123 Posts: 76
    Great..You are your own worst enemy! I paid cash also $24.000 in Oct 2009 for a 2010 LT 4Cyl $24000 and just traded the 2010 Nox 56K MILES for a new 2013 V6 Terrain ...My trade ALLOWANCE was $15.500.00..That is $8500 dollars in hard cost depreciation from New purchase price LAST 45 MONTHS...You probably had trade issues due to, high miles, poor condition, accident report or poor service records its just this simple; I have been trading cars privatly & professionly for over 30 years..Pretty basic common business sense! Now tell the Edmonds forum about your Equiniox trade issues and purchase price foernew Ride!

I will put my purchase contract on line in next 24 hours if you come clean and and show your 2010 Nox trade issues... You will probably cry when you see my deal!
  • duetsuduetsu Posts: 36
    My 2010 Equinox had the fuel pump fail first, then the timing chain about two months later... both were replaced under the warranty by my dealer. Then the car started sounding like a diesel engine and consuming oil. The dealer started doing the oil consumption tests to verify to GM that the engine was defective. About the time the decision was made to replace the engine (at 62k miles) the oil pan developed a crack in it and there was a white 'snotty' substance appearing on the dipstick....The replacement engine was a 2013 engine, not the 2010 that supposedly doesn't have these issues. I was given the balance of my power train warranty for the new engine. GM offered me a $500 credit to a new vehicle - good only for 12 months - which seems pretty lame considering all the time and trouble I went thru getting parts replaced and taking the car in for service. But in the end I had a great dealer to work with and GM did stand behind the 100k power train warranty.
    I had all my oil changes done at the dealer at 3000 miles or so. To me, frequent oil changes are CHEAP maintenance.. and this also gave credence to my claim as the records were all there.
    Talty Chevy in Morris, IL treated me very well and were great to work with resolving the issues!
    So far I have about 7,000 miles on the new engine. Gas mileage is back up to about 28 mpg and everything seems fine.
  • smc8888smc8888 Posts: 25
    Do you mean that you got a fresh 100k powertrain warranty for the 2013 replacement engine?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    cjga,

Sorry to hear that your experience has led you to feel this way. If you would like for us to look further into your concerns please email us at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please provide additional details.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    Hi oskee99,

We're glad to hear that the second opinion was a big help to you. Please keep us updated on the status of your repair.

Thanks

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • over reacting to my timing chain and camshaft having to be replaced wow for one the purpose of the chains are so they never break but in any event the truck is covered under the warranty but a weeks worth of having to argue about a loaner/ rental car is a bit much oh and then the radio, air and heat stopped working because oh there is a recall on that as well so if I'm over reacting so be it. but thanks for your input
  • I did all of that and was in a rental by the end of the day, thanks
  • dowopdowop Posts: 25
    I am being told that every 5000 miles is now good since they now use Mobil 1 Dexos oil. Any comments or advice?
  • duetsuduetsu Posts: 36
    No I did not get an additional 110k powertrain warranty. I was given the Balance of the original warranty I had which the was 38,000 miles or 22 months I had remaining.
    I wanted a new powertrain warranty but GM wouldn't even entertain that idea. The rep from GM I had on my case was less than pleasant to deal with.... that being said the dealer told me the best I could get if I was a customer off the street buying a new motor was 12 months/36k miles...
    Would have been nice if GM had given me a brand new warranty but it is what it is....
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,185
    Everyone has their own ideas on this, and they can be quite varied. I use an oil that meets or exceeds the requirements (currently DEXOS) and use the Oil life monitor as a guideline ( I try to change when it gets down to between 20 or 25%) whatever the mileage is to get me there. One exception would be if I drove a lot on dusty roads, then I might change sooner.
  • carguy05carguy05 Posts: 30
    As a suggestion, I would not rely on the oil life monitor at all. it is useless. I change my oil every 5000 miles, but check it every 2500 just in case. I sometimes have to add 1/2 quart. I have had the best results using synthetic blend GT-1 Kendall oil. I have a 2010 4-cy with 63,000 with no major problems.(so far)
  • chantelechantele Posts: 1
    Took my Equinox to shop today about the loud engine. They are saying the camshaft balancer needs to be replaced.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    I change my oil every 2,500 miles, and at that time, the "Oil Life Monitor" usually reads somewhere around 75%. ---- I could care less about the "Oil Life Monitor." ---- I go by mileage. --- On any vehicle, I divided the recommended oil change interval in half. ------ GM has their service recommendations and I have mine. If I develop an engine problem GM does not have a leg to stand on with regards to oil change intervals. Since the dealer is doing all of the service, it is their oil, their filters and their technicians doing the service. In terms of an extended warranty, the "ball is in their court!" ---- There is no "sludge" in my engine! ---- On cold winter days, I warm up the engine in the driveway till it is at normal operating temperature, then I drive the vehicle. ----- (YES, I know it is NOT recommended by GM! --- I could care less about that recommendation. ----- The 2.4 engine is an aluminum engine with a steel crankshaft, a steel camshafts and steel connecting rods. ----- There is a different expansion rate between aluminum and steel. ---- Driving a "cold engine," on a cold winter morning without warming it up is just tearing up the engine! ------ My engines do not use any oil between oil and filter changes! ------ I must be doing something right!)
    Just my opinion! ---- All the best to everyone! ----- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • cjgacjga Posts: 17
    I do the same. I plan on using Moboil 1 for the duration now. My hat goes off to GM. Two days ago I took my car in to the dealer and they changed out parts. All the noise went away. I will now buy another chevy :) Cevy was super nice.