Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

1110111112113114116»

Comments

• duetsuduetsu Posts: 36

I have a 2010 Equinox that has many of the same issues and have posted here repeatedly about them. I have to say that my dealer has been truly professional and worked with me to get the repairs made and covered under the powertrain warranty. I had a new engine put in my car in 2013 at about 62k miles and since then everything has been good to go. I still (and always will) take my car to the dealer for an oil change at the 3k mark. The last two times in the service manager has told me he is watching my axle seal because it is wet, but not leaking. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

• mimom1mimom1 Posts: 1

I am so discouraged. We started having problems with our 2010 Equinox almost immediately. In the first year we had problems with the car running rough, which we were repeatedly told was normal for the car, and many small mechanical failures: The rear passenger window motor, the back hatch motor, the seatbelt mechanism, and eventually (just after the warranty expired) the windshield wiper motor. The ipod display menu has been looked at numerous times, fixed once, and still does not work properly most of the time. We continued to bring it in as the car continued to run more and more roughly and were were told it was within normal specs for the car to burn up to a quart of oil every 2000 miles and that we should just keep adding oil to it as needed. I still don't understand why any car that needs that much more-than-normal oil doesn't have any kind of oil gauge or even a sensor light that will tell you it's needed before the check engine light comes on. The timing belt and fuel pump were replaced in 2011. The engine noise continued. After a lengthy and difficult oil consumption test, the engine was replaced in 2013. At the same time we were charged $660 for a new catalytic converter that they told us was not warranteed. We were hoping this would solve the problems once and for all.

Sadly, we were mistaken.

Since then It has been in for repair on the air conditioning, a new transfer case, a faulty rear back-up sensor, and finally last week the rear main seal blew out in the middle of the bitter-cold weather, stranding us by the side of the road. Even with all these problems and an engine that only has 15,000 miles on it, we were told that the rear main seal was our problem since the car has 103,000 miles on it.

Have I mentioned that we've had the dealer do all the scheduled maintenance?

I am astounded that there has not been a class-action suit against GM for this car. My husband comes from a long line of proud GM employees and we have never owned any other brand of car, but I am so frustrated I will probably never buy another one. And I don't feel that GM really wants my business, either. I am looking for a way to sell this car. It does have a lot of nearly-new major components.

• berriberri Posts: 4,004

Honestly, it sounds like this is the time to unload it. If you can't trust the vehicle, why continue driving it in fear of what will break next? I've rented several of these and found them comfortable cars. But I have read so many problems with them on various blogs that I don't think I'd risk buying one. I'd trade it on a new Honda CRV. The price isn't much different than the Equinox, and maybe even a tad lower, while the resale will probably be higher. The Honda will ride a bit stiffer and be a tad noisier on the highway, but you shouldn't have near the ownership maintenance and repair problems. You'll also likely find the CRV has more cargo room believe it or not. It just seems packaged and designed more efficiently. BTW, I believe the Equinox is built in Canada, while the CRV is mostly manufactured in Ohio, so there's nothing un-American about doing this swap. My aunt, who never bought a non D3 vehicle, just did this and all she does is rave about the CRV and wonder aloud why she didn't do this sooner in life. Save yourself the grief and aggravation.

• Has anyone else experienced blowing the rear main seal in extreme cold weather on their 2010 Chevrolet Equinox? We've had this happen three times now. This last time was nine days to the time previous. We were told that the PCV system froze and over pressurized the engine which caused the rear main seal to blow. It's been five days now that my Equinox has been at the dealer. GM has now decided to try to find out why the PCV system is freezing up. We have also had the fuel pump and oil consumption issues with this Equinox. Our Equinox has 109,000 miles on it. The first major was at 49,000 and the repairs haven't stopped. Any insight on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

• Yes, we have but only once and that was in December and that was the last straw after a long line of expensive and major breakages. We tried to work with GM and they wouldn't have much to do with us. Since then we have dumped that car and purchased a new non-GM car(note: first non-GM car in my family since at least the 1930s - not a decision made lightly).

• i bought a 2010 eqx with 2 miles. had to have the engine rebuilt at 77000 miles. The engine goes in November of 2013 and had to put a new engine in and had to pay for it because the powertrain expired. i put a new engine in and the dealership said that this gives me a 100000 powertrain warranty and now 3 months later had a plate break in the transmission and have to replace it. what a piece of junk.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003

Hi dspen1973,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your vehicle and that you are not satisfied. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance by taking a further look into your concerns. We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com. We're looking forward to your reply.

Kristen A. Chevrolet Customer Care

• yea make a better product. The best part of all is that now the transmission is not covered under warranty and the estimate went from 2300 to 3500 in 4 hours because the transmission is "special" I'm really tired of the run around with the vehicle and i wont buy another GM again.

Hi despen,

We understand your frustration. Again, we apologize for your dissatisfaction.

Kristen A. GM Customer Care

• you have no idea of the level of frustration i am having. like i said im tired of the run a round and i will not buy another. this car has been in and out of the shop the entire time ive own it. if you want to know everything feel free to contact me i will gladly let you know everything that had to be done.

• maparkmapark Posts: 1

I have a 2010 equinox Lt. It has issues and not sure why? A month ago I had to change the front tire because of a screw, and the menu was telling me it was the wrong tire that was flat. Now the engine light goes on and off (mostly on) which will not let the remote start work. The drivers side window will not go up and down at times, the rear doors will not open when unlocked from the inside. Also the car sometimes runs on for a few seconds after I turn it off.
    Help! This has seriously all happened within a three week span. Worried it's going to cost me a lot!!!

mapark,

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing these concerns. Please feel free to reach out to us if you would like for us to take a further look into your concern. We can be reached by email at socialmedia@gm.com. Please include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and preferred dealership in the email. We look forward to hear from you soon!

Kristen A. GM Customer Care

• wizfin1wizfin1 Posts: 1

Just sent a note to socialmedia@gm.com as now in addition to the other recalls, and having had the waterpump, and then the engine replaced due to timing chain issues, now had to replace alternator last month and today have to get Power Steering Assembly fixed to the tune of $$$$$! At what point does a car become a lemon. It can't be just due to a single issue that occurs multiple times...shouldn't it qualify if no matter what goes wrong and is replaced, yet another issue crops up shortly thereafter??? This car is less than 5 years old!!!