Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• bjones6bjones6 Posts: 28
    Of course instantaneous mileage is not a reliable indicator of average economy, but it is a very helpful indicator of wind resistance and hill climbing situations. Although, on the flat with no wind, it is remarkable how closely the instantaneous average and actual averages correlate. Yes, you do need a Nebraska-like setting to do this kind of comparison. Maybe that makes it meaningless; depends on how you look at it, I guess.
    The average fuel economy computer gives me fairly accurate information compared to manuel calculation methods if I remember to reset the computer and pay attention. I have twice calculated fuel economy at 32 mpg in my 2010 Nox using the miles divided by gallons method, and the number has been within 5% of the car's computer. The driving conditions both times were nearly 100% freeway with little or mixed wind.
  • jlg44jlg44 Posts: 12
    My wife has a 2010 ltz 4 cycl with 3800 miles. She works 2 miles from the house and averages 21.9 miles per gallon. This is all city driving. We took it out of town so when I got on the interstate I re-set the avg and after 40 miles at 65 - 70 mph it was averaging 34.5 mpg.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I think anything even close to 30 highway is amazing for this size of vehicle.
  • kzk8brownkzk8brown Posts: 12
    Concerning my mileage.. took a long trip from NY to South Carolina. First part of the trip driving 55-65 most of the time I got 29 miles per gallon, Next tank load going through alot of North carolina so driving much faster...65-80 got 26 miles per gallon.. city driving in SC got the 22 miles per gallon. My city driving miles per average is pretty consistent at 22. ON the way back... Got almost 27 mpg. 26.6 Must be missing one gas receipt. I know I had to have filled up one more time... Any how. I am a bit more satisfied with 26-29 on long distance than 22-24. Seems doing 55-65 will get the better gas mileage on the long haul.. I keep telling everyone since I was traveling south it was all down hill so the mileage was better and driving North is of course all up hill, thus not as good mileage. One thing I can say.. I was comfortable in the seats for the 12-14 hours...
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Posts: 166
    edited June 2010
    We've already got some rust on our 2010 Nox that I noticed while washing it a week or two ago. Taking it in next week to get fixed under warranty. It is on the tailgate by the chrome piece in the middle of the tailgate. The dealer thinks they chipped the paint at the factory putting on the chrome piece, and thus it rusted later.

We're also getting fixed two small areas that are peeling a bit (no rust because the piece is plastic). The spots are on the bumper piece where it connects with the rear quarter panel by the wheel well. It is doing it on both sides. The dealer thinks the paint wasn't sanded correctly on the dumper before it was put on the vehicle.

Just some things to look out for...
  • mikeb1028mikeb1028 Posts: 2
    (Didn't see a post yet for the following problem...) INTERMITTENTLY, upon startup (only), there is a strange, usually loud, noise coming from the engine area that lasts between 1 and 2 seconds. It sounds like revving, or clicking. The 1st time I heard it when my wife started the vehicle in the garage, I thought there was a truck with a diesel engine passing by !

The Dealer can't seem to locate the problem yet, although they HAVE replicated the problem, and are still looking at it. The Tech said he talked to a GM Engineer who said he has seen a similar problem in the Malibu.

Has anyone else experienced this ? If yes, did you get any resolution ?

Thanks !
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    Are you talking about a clicking sound other than the continuous clicking the 4 cyl does? I'm told the direct injection requires a high pressure fuel pump that makes the clicking. It never stops however. I can't stand it but if you keep the windows closed you can't hear it driving. Every time I hear it however I can't help but think of an old washing machine chevy I had years ago that needed a valve job. I don't understand how this is considered an acceptable design by GM.
  • mikeb1028mikeb1028 Posts: 2
    No. As I said, the engine noise I am talking about is ONLY at engine start, and ONLY for 1 or 2 seconds. And it only started doing this after 8,000 miles. (Although they did seem to hear it on at least 1 brand new Equinox on the Dealer's lot, also.) Thanks.
    Ok, therefore, no I haven't heard a 1-2 sec noise on my 4 cyl. at startup. I only have 1000 miles on it so far though. I test drove two others and also a Terrain 4 cyl and didn't hear what your saying. Just the continuous clickity clack.
  • My wife took her 2010 4cyl LTZ into the dealer today for a standard oil change. The remaining oil life indicator said 6%. She also asked the dealer to check on a strange noise the car had started making. The dealer just called and said there was no oil in the car! No oil pressure light...no oil oil level light or guage...nothing to indicate the engine was being ruined! Dealer said there was not an oil sensor on this make/model. Can that be true??? If a car used all the oil between changes wouldn't the exhaust smell or look like oil burning or wouldn't there be oil on my garage floor?...not a drop. Did the dealer even put oil in the car at the last oil change? Also, literally 30 seconds after the dealer gave my wife this great news I got a call from the sales department asking if I was ready to buy my daughter that Cobalt for her b-day!!!! What timing. Arrggg...good grief.
  • back2frontback2front Posts: 42
    Mine does the same thing and is twice as bad if it is started with the AC on. Mine clicks and then sounds like something is trying to get out from under the hood. Mine never does stop clicking, kind of sounds like the Jeep I got rid of because of the rods knocking.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,106
    Hello Back2front,
    The 2010 Equinox does have a clicking/ticking noise associated with their 4 cylinders. The noise comes from the injectors and it is normal. However, if you feel that the noise is really loud I would suggest taking it to the dealership. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Mariah,

Is this knocking associated with fact the 2.4L is direct injection?

I noticed this on my Nox but it isn't very loud and I've never thought anything of it.

Thanks.
  • back2frontback2front Posts: 42
    I have an oil change coming up so I will have them look at it...Thanks, still love this car!!
  • I am having this same issue with my equinox, have you been able to find out the problem?
    I know this reply is long in coming...

My vehicle stalled while slowing down from coming off the interstate. It gave a few engine codes. It started right back up, and we were on our way. It only did it that one time. Had the actuator replaced a few months ago and all has been good in this regard.
    Maxiumpete,

I have a 1LT with the Vehicle Interface Package and they forgot to put in the USB port (common with early 1LTs with VIF). In the 1LT the USB port isn't standard equipment like with the 2LT, but with the VIF mine should have had it.

What exactly did you do to get this issue resolved (I'm sorry I've had a hard time following your issue due to the high number of posts in this thread)?

My dealer offered to install it for free, but the two parts needed total about $400. I don't think I should have to pay this since I only got a $75 credit on the invoice for it not being installed.

Thanks!
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone been able to find out if there is a service bulletin for the "sticky steering" issue? I have it occasionally on the hwy. Not too worried about it, but would like it fixed if there is a bulletin (dealer won't be able to replicate it because it is so infrequent).

Anyone also know if there is a service bulletin for the weak low beams on the headlights? My dealer was unable to find one, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Also, for the first thirty seconds or so after startup the Nox warms up the catalytic converter quickly to lessen pollution (all vehicles do, it is a govt. regulation). During this time the vehicle feels like it hesitates when driving it. There was supposed to be a new software calibration to fix this. Anyone know if it is out yet? And if so, what the calibration number is?

Thanks.
    No oil?! If there was no oil you or your wife would have surely known it, I'd think. I wonder if someone at the dealer drained it, then another tech saw there was no oil? A year ago after I did an oil change on our Vibe all the oil ran out of the engine through the filter for some reason (bad gasket maybe). After two seconds I knew it had no oil, the noise from the engine was horrible. I can't even describe it. I immediately shut the engine off and put on a new filter and some new oil and all was good.

Just a FYI for everyone: these new Nox's are obviously very new so there isn't a lot of data out there regarding analysis of used oil from these engines. I have heard, however, the direct injected engines in the Traverse are very hard on oil (the 4 cyl Nox is also DI). Considering this, I'd suggest putting in full synthetic oil to protect your engine and oil changes at least every 6k miles. Often times you can go 10k or more miles on full synthetic oil, but I wouldn't in this engine.
    You're welcome! :) Let me know how everything goes.
    Hello Wallyuwl,
    Yes, it is really more of a ticking noise then anything but yes that is what we are referring to. The ticking noise is normal to the Equinox. However, if you feel the noise isn't normal I would suggest taking it to the dealership to be diagnosed. Thank you,
    Well, I guess you say it is considered normal, to this old timer it certainly isn't a sound want to hear on a new engine. I suppose it is the price one pays in the quest for better gas mileage.

Mariah, in reading a different forum one person made the comment that the new Equinox 4 cyl. engine is made in China. Can you confirm that?
    Hello Roho1,
    The 2.4L 4 cylinder engine is made in Springhill, Tennessee for the Equinox. So no they are not made in China. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service :)
    Thanks for the response. It's good to hear that I have an American built engine.

The 2010 Nox I have was assembled in Canada. The other 2 vehicles I have owned from Canada were the best I have owned. So I'm hoping this one lives up to that history. So far so good after 2 months.(except for the darn clicking)
  • runoxrunox Posts: 153
    Just did my second oil change. The vehicle came with dino oil. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic after 6000 mi's on the 1st oil change. At 12K I did my 2nd and noticed that the 5 Qts of syntehetic I started with had dwindled to 4 on discharge. There was no loss of of dino at the 1st change - 5 in 5 out.

Does synthetic burn in consumption? My son's gal has a BMW that is dealer serviced with synthetic and it drops oil without visible leaks. He used Mobil 1 in his Tahoe and it too dropped in volume over time. My old Trailblazer which was always on a dino diet never dropped a single ounce between 3000 mi changes.

I'm new to the synthetic world, my question is, does synthetic normally burn dropping engine volume over time?

I always have a slight carbon coating on the inside of my tailpipe.
    So what is dino oil? I'm guessing some slang term to mean fossil oil?

My Corvette that had synthetic didn't lose any oil I was aware of.
    A couple days ago I switched to M1 synthetic so your post interests me. Did you use the recommended 5W30, or a lighter grade?

I know at times synthetic will have a little consumption in the first oil change. One quart in a newer engine seems like a lot, though. I put your post on another forum that deals with oil (guys are pretty smart with this stuff there) to see what they say. I'll report back.
  • gamehawkergamehawker Posts: 17
    Look at my #306 post. I had the same problem.
    Mobil One 5W30 full synthetic. Thanks for listing elsewhere. I've read a couple of other posts indicating oil consumption. I wasn't aware they had removed the low oil indicator lamp. After reading that I'll be checking every 500 miles.

I don't think I can let it go 10,000 miles with a change despite what Chevy says. Too little reward for such a big risk. I struggled to let it go to 6000 miles / 40% on the indicator. I also noticed that mpg decreases as the oil ages. At 50/50 city /highway I'll average about 26 mpg at the beginning of the oil change, but by the time 6000 miles rolls around I'm down to about 23 mpg per tank. Now that could be related to the loss of oil I sustained also.

My advice to all, use that dip stick regardless of the age of the vehicle.
    edited June 2010
    "Had" or "Have" - Did you find a way to resolve it?

I'm tempted to reverse, dump the Mobil 1 and go back to dino oil if these engines like consuming the synthetics.

roho1 - yes - dino = dinosaur oil = fossil oil