Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    A lot of misinformation going on here. Here's some press releases about the engine that is built in Tennessee. The Ecotec I-4 is rated as one of the top 10 engines for 2010.

DETROIT, Mich. – GM’s Ecotec 2.4L I-4 has been awarded Ward’s Auto World magazine’s 2010 “10 Best Engines” for North America. The direct injected engine with variable valve timing helps deliver segment-best highway fuel economy in GM’s popular new crossovers, the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain. The engine also debuts in the all-new Buick LaCrosse and Regal sedans next year.
    Ward’s reviewed 34 engines from 13 automakers in the competition. Winners were chosen based on several factors, including power, noise, vibration and harshness (NVH), fuel efficiency, new technology and comparative data for similar engines.
    The new Ecotec 2.4L engine includes technology that provides a number of benefits. “Direct injection (DI) was designed into the 2.4L to boost fuel efficiency and for refined power,” said Chris Meagher, chief engineer for Ecotec engines. “The VVT (variable valve timing) system is tuned to work in tandem with direct injection to achieve optimum fuel economy and lower emissions. The engine achieves a respectable 182 horsepower (136 kW) and 172 lb-ft (233 Nm) of torque, which makes for a pleasing customer driving experience.”
    With direct injection, fuel is sprayed directly into the engine cylinder, where it is mixed with air. As the fuel vaporizes in the cylinder, the air and fuel mixture is cooled. This enables the use of a higher compression ratio, which improves engine efficiency and performance. Direct injection also reduces cold-start hydrocarbon emissions by up to 25 percent.
    The Ecotec 2.4L engine is an all-aluminum, dual overhead cam, four-valve engine with forged steel connecting rods and oil spray cooling for reduced friction and noise. The engine is built at GM’s Spring Hill powertrain plant in Tennessee. In all models, the engine is mated to a highly efficient six-speed automatic transmission.

GM's 2.4L ECOTEC SIDI Wins Ward's 10 Best
    One GM engine makes the elite engine list for 2010.
    www.gminsidenews.com
    December 9, 2009
    By: Nick Saporito

Today Ward's Auto released their 2010 Ten Best engine award. The annual list is always made up of the best ten engines throughout the auto industry and one of General Motors newest engines made the list this year: the 2.4L ECOTEC SIDI.

The engine is not technically all-new, however it is a heavily revised ECOTEC that debuted in the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. The engine gained popularity quickly due to the Equinox's and GMC Terrain's headline 32 MPG highway rating, which makes the two utes best-in-class in terms of fuel economy by a wide margin.

In addition to direct fuel injection and variable valve timing, the Ecotec 2.4L engine is an all-aluminum, dual overhead cam, four-valve engine with forged steel connecting rods and oil spray cooling for reduced friction and noise. In all models, the engine is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

The 2.4L is the only GM engine to make the list this year, however cross-town rival Ford Motor Company made the list with two of their new engines as well.

Ward's 2010 Best Engines List:

* 2.0L TFSI Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A4)
    * 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
    * 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (BMW 335d)
    * 2.5L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Ford Fusion Hybrid)
    * 3.5L EcoBoost Turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Ford Taurus SHO)
    * 2.4L Ecotec DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Equinox)
    * 4.6L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
    * 2.5L Turbocharged DOHC H-4 (Subaru Legacy 2.5GT)
    * 1.8L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Toyota Prius)
    * 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI)
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    edited August 2010
    I take exception to your quote above stating "a lot of misinformation" - so the engine is made in TN. I do recall now that TN is where they are built. Fine. So tell me where else in my notes constitutes "a lot" of misinformation? So what if it is built in TN?

And anyone can copy paste...

You mention a higher CR. So that is a clue right there. They state the engine will run on 87 octane (in the interest of not losing customers who rightly refuse to invest in the premium that hi-test gas is, in common place cars like the Nox) but maybe that is where they have screwed up. A lot of the knocking symptoms owners have described here sounded to me like a pre-ignition issue, which is what hi-test gas is designed to not allow in higher than average combustion chambers. (hi-test gas ignites more slowly than regular gas, a very very common misconception among the driving public) (fuel ignites more quickly when under greater pressure - a prime example of this is the basis for how diesel ignites. As many of you may realize a diesel powered car does not use sparkplugs and coils to provide a spark to ignite the fuel. That is why diesels have extremely high compression ratios compared to gas engines.

And many other engines have won the Wards list many years in a row. Numerous variations on Nissan's original 3 litre V6 makes the list almost every year for the past 10. And I believe GM's cast iron block 3800 V6 so popular in Bonnevilles etc also is on the list. And this, just from memory. I haven't looked in a few years.
    I cut and pasted the info on the engine so those here that aren't aware that the engine is highly rated and not some junk. I thought it was pertinent to the discussion, so at least those with problems will know they do have a good engine to work with. I think it being built in the USA is significant since the last 4cyl was built in China. A big deal to some of us.
    The Nox being assembled in Canada was a selling point for me, since the previous 2 vehicles I have owned that were assembled in Canada were gems with no problems.

The high CR is a trait of direct injection for better fuel economy. You seem to have a lot of general info but never relate to any actual personal experience with the engine. All I know is my i-4 is running smooth for 3 months now on 87 octane being the common place car it is. :)
    The Malibu motor is apparently made in China. My point was what is the difference whether the Nox engine is made in USA or Cda? By your own admission you are pleased and confident with a Cdn built car.

I know why you c/p, my biggest thing was you claiming "a lot" of my info was incorrect which it was not. You split hairs, and even supported Cdn quality. And you made no retraction. But whatever..
    Unlike some on these forums i do NOT talk thru my hat. (but i am not suggesting you have)

But the info i have given here will be helpful to those who are having trouble with their car. Why would I go into great detail of mechanics when many would prefer a few basics that they can then investigate on their own and ask their own mechanic about? Armed with some of the info I provided here already, will tell their mechanic that they are not the average ignorant customer with a problem but one who has some knowledge of the workings of their engine.

And whether you agree or not, ruling out gas quality as a possibility was good advice :) I could go on about software programming of engine management, anti-knock sensors etc etc but it has already been touched upon previously. Gas wasn't. :)
    edited August 2010
    And while you chose to take my remark about the common place car, as a shot, it was not intended that way all. :) The Nox is not a performance oriented BMW, MB, Audi, Volvo, Acura, Infinity type luxury car whose basic majority, require hi-test gas.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I cut and pasted the info on the engine so those here that aren't aware that the engine is highly rated and not some junk.

Even the most highly rated engine will have problems and it is the problems that people are here to discuss. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Even the most highly rated engine will have problems and it is the problems that people are here to discuss.

No kidding. One poster here thought her problem may be because it was built in Canada. Providing information on that is not acceptable here?
  • kristy8kristy8 Posts: 72
    Are you kidding me? I was simply pointing out that info due to the fact another poster had stated that their nox was built there to! Now let's get to the point of the issue,
    there is an actual problem with my car and many others, whether or not the car was built in USA or Canada or wherever the case maybe...there is an issue and simply making a statement " my car was built in Canada" DOES not imply a shot in any form, read my issue before you start throwing stones.
    I am canadian!
    Oh yes I also forgot to mention that was also a really big selling point for me to,
    providing that my car was also built in Canda. I do know the steps that were taken to build the nox.
    Maybe you should re read your own post if you can. I wasn't throwing any stones at you, it was mainly about the engine anyway.

...."mY NOXS was built in Canada. Not sure if that has anything to do but I am surpose to get it looked at the 12th the mater mechanic seems to think that It maybe the exhaust,...."

With your sloppy typing it's not hard to maybe misinterpret your meaning. Try proof reading your posts before sending.
  • Give it a rest !!!!!!! This forum is to seek out common problems and try to find solutions not attack other posters.
    Thank you back2front :)
    Sorry to bother you. I think it goes both ways here.

I am looking forward to reading kristy's problem is solved.
  • ronwelronwel Posts: 57
    The problem affected more than just the defrost. My center console went crazy depending on how hot or how cold it was outside. If it was hot...my radio would change stations by itself and would raise and lower the volume all by itself. When it was cold...nothing would work. At first they thought the main computer board was cracked...then they thought there was a problem with the radio itself (deep in the center console). Finally...after reprograming the main console for the third time, GM sent out a tech and after a couple of days they had a new part shipped in. Basically I was told it was a "version 2.0" of the center console. A couple of months later they issued a full recall of the center console module.

PRESS RELEASE:

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    CHEVROLET / EQUINOX 2010
    GMC / TERRAIN 2010

Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: DEC 18, 2009
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V489000
    N/A
    NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: VISIBILITYEFROSTER/DEFOGGER SYSTEM
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 59031

Summary:
    GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 CHEVROLET EQUINOX AND GMC TERRAIN VEHICLES FOR FAILING TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 103, "WINDSHIELD DEFROSTING AND DEFOGGING SYSTEMS AND WITH FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 101, CONTROLS AND DISPLAYS". THE SOFTWARE IN THE CENTER INSTRUMENT PANEL CAN CAUSE THE HEATING, AIR CONDITIONING, DEFROST, AND RADIO CONTROLS, AS WELL AS THE PANEL ILLUMINATION TO BECOME INOPERATIVE.

Consequence:
    DRIVING WITHOUT A FUNCTIONING DEFROST SYSTEM CAN DECREASE YOUR VISIBILITY UNDER CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS AND COULD RESULT IN A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE COMPUTER MODULE IN THE CENTER INSTRUMENT PANEL FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, GMC AT 1-866-996-9463 OR AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.

Notes:
    GM SAFETY RECALL NO. 090298. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
    Mariah,
    I tried to email you directly, however was not able to since I don't have microsoft outlook
    You don't need MS Outlook to email gmcustsvc. Any email client will work. What do you normally use for sending and receiving email?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Your absolutely right it definitely does go both ways... but I did not personally attack you.
    The Bottom line is that I am experiencing and issue and yes I am getting the run-around with much frustration. I have come to this forum for help and guidance and
    unfortunately I don't always have the time to proof read all my misspelled words, I currently do not have the luxury to sit down and breakdown every post I read and take them completely out of text. I am trying to get as much info as much as possible on a very limited time frame.
    Thank you roho1 I do hope my issue is resolved as well.
    really because I have tried using other email host with no such luck.
    I will try again right now. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?
    Let me know whether it works out.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    Our forum software "camouflages" the @ sign to trip up the spambots. So if you are cutting and pasting, you'll need to replace the @ sign with a "real" one. Or just click on the member name to get to their Profile with a normal email address.