Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• colt_herocolt_hero Posts: 104
    Funny you mention the door button "hidden on dash". I was wondering where the door lock button was. Couldn't believe it wasn't on the door.

For me, I didn't go crazy price-wise: $26,800 is a "stripped" V6 (although they still jam the Pioneer radio and 18" wheels down your throat which adds about $1000 to the MSRP). Out the door including tax, minus GM bucks and Loyalty rebate was $20,700. Not too bad for an Equinox, but BY FAR the worst car deal I've ever done. Now if it turns out the car is not as reliable as it's two predecessors, I'm going to be VERY unhappy.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    After watching a tow operator open the door on my friends Ford after he locked the keys in the car I can see why GM moved the lock button to the dash. Tow guy took a wedge like you would use to hold open a door in the summer so the wind don't blow it closed and wedged it at the top of the door creating a opening where he slipped a coat hanger down and pushed the elec. unlock button on the door opening it in less than 30 sec. total time. I was told GM moved it to the middle of the dash to meke it harder to open a locked door.
    I think that's a cover for the real reason: one button to wire versus two. You can still put the buttons on the doors (where EVERYONE expects them to be) and make them hard to open with a coat hanger.

But also on the plus side: no rainwater draining into the switch cavities (although I've had this happen countless times on my Taurus over 13+ years and it's never affected their operability).

This "feature" is gonna drive me crazy because it's different than my other cars. Many times, standardization and commonality is a good thing. I would've left the switches in the doors because that's where people expect them to be.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    I too had trouble at first with location but after 9 months with my Nox I like it. It's second nature now. After dmathews explanation, which makes sense, I feel like my vehicle is more secure now. I give Gm cudos, I love the center dash design overall, best I've ever had.
    Well, I think the only people using coathangers to open car doors are the owners themselves (or their locksmiths). Criminals are pointing a gun in your face and telling you to get out of the car.
  • have problem with day light running lights whan in auto mode lights with not come on dash indigate flashes and goes out any suggestion has to what is wrong
  • clebo1clebo1 Posts: 78
    This is a problem with the running light as i have had the same problems,sometimes it works,sometimes it have these electrical problem. All i get from the dealer is speculation. this vehicle was poorly made and engineered ,even a head light bulb you have top take part of the Grill off just or replace itor get ripped off at the dealer.looks good rives ok but is mechaanically flwed!!! :mad:
  • clebo1clebo1 Posts: 78
    ALL THIS LITTLE TEETHE ENTITY DOES IS TO ASSIGNED YOU CASE NUMBERS.YOUR SERVICE NEVER DOES ANY FOLLUP AS YO HAVE ANY PROBLEM FIXED
    WITH CHEVY-GM PROBLEMS FIIXED CORRECTLY.I HAVE OVER 150 OF YOU E-MAIL AND I AM STILL AWAITING A RESOLUTION FOR OVER 3 YEARS... YOUR SERVICE IS USESLESS!!!
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,186
    At this time of year with the low light levels the sensor detects this and turns regular headlights on quite often, even during the day. The dash lights go into (dimmer) night time mode. Turning up the dimmer switch to high can help.
  • jrcketjrcket Posts: 9
    Kept my fingers crossed hoping no problems happen with my 2010 Equinox 2LT V6 which we purchased last March.

2 days ago I started the car up and while warming up the door locks went berserk locking and unlocking about 5 or 6 times. When I looked at the DIC it showed service stabilitrack and service rear parking assist.

Shut it down and waited for a few minutes and started it up again, DIC showed same messages (service stabilitrack and rear parking assist) with the check engine light and stabilitrack light were on the dash. Called OnStar and asked them to do a diagnosis and they found out that the transmission was not communicating with the engine control module. They asked me to shift to R and see if the indicator on the DIC showed the gear, I did and no indicator showed. I tried to rev the gas pedal and no response either. So the car isn't drivable had to be towed to the nearest dealer.

Dealer calls me up and said there is a switch on the transmission that was not working so the transmission can't communicate with the ECM. It will take 3 days for the replacement switch to arrive.

:mad: Arrrgh, not even a year and a switch goes out making the car undrivable. Good thing I wasn't driving with my kids when this happened! Oh on top of that I found out that the rear liftgate won't work either as I tried to retrieve my stuff from the trunk prior to towing :mad:

Sorry for the long post but I am seriously thinking of trading this car in even at a loss. I won't be comfortable driving it when i know a simple switch can leave the car stalled and in a possible accident.

Anyway, I gave GM a chance but its looking gloom right now.
    I doubt there is a car on the market that don't have a electronic (computer) controled transmission. There are millions and millions of cars on the road and most operate well. You just got a little bad luck. As emissions get stricker and stricker more and more electronics are going to be on cars. Only way around it is getting a old car from the 60's.
    Well I don't doubt that everything now is electronic and there are alot of bugs that affect the cars. I guess I expected more from the Equinox because I own a 2002 Suburban which is a trouble free car, not one problem on it till today.

I guess I can chalk this one up to bad luck and wait and see if this will happen again
    I bought my '97 Taurus wagon brand new at the beginning of '98. About a year or so later, the transmission started doing some weird shifting while my wife was driving it. Speedometer would drop to zero while cruising on the highway, cruise control wouldn't work, and the car would shift up and down erratically. After a couple of test drives, it happened for me. Check Engine light came on, code showed bad vehicle speed sensor ($35). Changed it myself and the car's been fine for 12 years now.

Same problem occurred with my Dad's '97 Taurus sedan, so it was a bad batch of sensors. It can happen with any car, but maybe some manufacturers have better quality control over the production of these sensors - any one of which can fail and degrade your vehicle's performance (if not stop it all together).

That's why I'm not a big fan of all the electronics they're putting in vehicles today. I think they've gone WAY too far already. OK, put the sensors in the engine to make it run more efficiently (if you have to), but what about things like that STUPID electronic touchpad on the liftgate of the Equinox. Now who's the IDIOT designer (or group of designers) who came up with THAT one? Totally unnecessary and doomed to fail. Not to mention that's it's awkward to use! An old-fashioned mechanical latch should've been installed. They last forever with little or no trouble and are easy to replace if they fail. But it MUST'VE been about the money (again)! It must've been less expensive to put the touchpad in (both in terms of part cost and installation time), and if it lasts 5-6 years, that's good enough because most people don't keep their cars longer than that.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    edited January 2011
    I see there are others who feel the same as I do. Glad to know I'm not alone on this. At least in the examples you just wrote.

The touch pad will cost less no doubt, but is also lighter which they are also trying to keep tabs on. The hatch on a Kia Forte i checked out a month ago, had something similar by the sounds of things. (I have not seen the Nox one) If you pressed it too lightly or slowly, it would unlatch but only part way! You had to be quite deliberate with the press. Plus they are always in a really dirty place. Who wants to have to get their hands or gloves that dirty to have to touch a pad? At least if they don't dry out in time, and are sealed welled, they may resist corrosion longer than a keyed latch.

I say bring back the cable pull, or button operated electric solenoid even if they do add some weight. The trunk lid 'pops' and usually u can find a cleaner place to open it the rest of the way with a finger on the inside edge where it is clean.
    Hahaha colthero, that is exactly how I feel. What the heck the TCM switch fails and I can't open the trunk.
    Good idea. Trading cars everytime you have a problem and you may be in debt as much as this country is :-)
    damthews3,

Who said I trade cars everytime I have a problem? In fact we have a 1997 E320 that we owned since new and a 2002 Suburban we owned since new. These two cars have been trouble free since we bought them. I mean no out of the ordinary problems, but we kept them up to date with all services.

Bought a new Equinox and a simple TCM switch going out causes undrivability- the car dosen't even have a limp mode to allow you to drive it to safety. Plus the damn rear hatch won't open and I can't get my tools out of the back.

So my friend I am sorry if I might contributedto the country's debt because I am considering a trade even at a loss. I believe as long as I pay my bills on time I am golden.

Joey
    edited January 2011
    Seems like with the touchpad on my Equinox, I have to press it twice to get it to unlatch. I haven't completely read the Owner's Manual yet ... maybe that's the way it is, but it's awkward to use. It also says NOT to press on the pad after the liftgate is opened. Well, THAT'S pretty stupid. Your hand is reaching into this "pocket" to open the liftgate. What are you supposed to be doing ... grabbing the liftgate by the bottom lip?

Here's another stupid one for ya: Unlike the 2010, with the 2011 model they decided to package the power seat with the camera and remote start in what they called the "Driver Convenience Package". Wonderful! I don't want the power seat due to the height difference between my wife and I. Its an inconvenience, a nuisance, and with all the movement back and forth it could fail in a position where one of us could not drive the vehicle. So because of the IDIOTS at GM, I had to forego the camera and remote start.

The power seat should ALWAYS be a separately-added option. It should NEVER be bundled with other un-related options.

Still don't like the door lock button in the middle of the dash, either. I also can't stand keyfobs on my keyring - especially the MONSTER-SIZED one for the Equinox. WAY TOO BIG! I'm hoping I can get just a standard key for my keyring, but that'll mean using the center door lock button - which is inconvenient when I have to open the back door to take my things out before locking and closing the doors. Should've put the switches on the doors. That's where everyone expects them to be.
    I never said you trade cars everytime you have a problem, my point was if you take your current attitude (getting rid of the E because of one problem) then going forward if you take that same attitude you will be so far in the red as you will never get what you paid for the vehicle so each time you lose more. This could be the only problem you ever have with it. I could see dumping it if you have had problem after problem but you aren't. I hope you keep and enjoy it for many years to come. I know I really like mine. I have had other G.M.'s with problems and one time dumped it after dealer couldn't fix it right but that was way back when they had price increases many times during the year and I got almost as much on trade as I paid for it orginally. I still stay with the Big 3 even though some don't think they are quality cars but I believe in the bigger picture and can't see substadizing another countrys government, schools and roads when ours needs it more.
    edited January 2011
    Oh ok, yeah I was just venting I love the Nox but I think that from my experience with the Suburban I had high hopes that it would be problem free (maybe too high). Also not being to open and get my tools from the trunk didn't help.

BTW, its been 4 days now and the part has not yet come in so my car is stranded at the dealership. :mad: