Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• Good morning rauldevo,

We hope that all is going well with your dealership and would be happy to look into this situation further if you wanted us to. Please send us an email with more details (including your name, Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership) to socialmedia@gm.com

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I just received a call from our Dealership. I AM VERY HAPPY. They are taking care of the problem. (Larry Puckett Chevrolet in Prattville, AL)
  • I ended up on this forum while searching for answers to oil consumption problems with my 2010 Equinox. Like many posting here, my dealer in York, PA has been tracking my oil usage due to bucking, rough engine problems. This always indicates that there is NO oil.....again. I also received the line that GM has stated that this "normal" oil consumption......1 quart per 2000 miles! Two days ago, while on a 500 mile trip to visit family, I felt a couple of misses while driving then stopped at an exit for gas and the car completely stalled out 150 miles from my destination. Had the car towed 70 miles to a Chevy dealer in Statesville, NC who has told me that the tensioner, timing chain and fuel pump need to be replaced to the tune of around $1000. I'm stuck 500 miles from home and do not blame this dealer (yet), but this should NOT be an out of pocket expense.....this is a design/engineering problem that my home dealer has not been willing to address. I have loved my Equinox otherwise and have stood up to ribbing from family and friends for 'buying American' which was an intentional choice....now I'm really taking it. If this is not rectified, a trade-in is coming soon. I really wanted to support GM, but the lack of support from the company is extremely disappointing and I'm angry now. Any suggestions on how to 'deal with the dealer' ??
  • llamitiellamitie Posts: 13
    edited October 2012
    I had ALL the same issues since the day I bought my car. The last was initially a timing chain issue and they finally got authorization to "dig deeper" and it ended up I had a gaugue in the cylindar/scored piston and could NOT find one existing cause except that it had been there from the beginning and caused all my problems (excess oil consumption, bucking, hesitations, riding rough, sounding horrible). Luckily I paid for the extended warranty so the engine was covered. i got an entirely new engine last week (after a very recent partial engine rebuild). You should not be responsbile for that engine work or towing or any of those iussues. That engine was more than likley a bad engine from the beginning like every other equinox owner who is experiencing similar problems. Make you case and make a stink and get what you deserve - the engine you paid for! Start with your delaership and ask for guidance or call GM customer service or ask a rep on this site how to get a case number and file a complaint. You should get a new engine and reimbursement for your expenses. good luck
  • I had the same issues and finally got a new engine covered under my powertrain warranty - if you look a few pages back in this forum, there is a service letter (and link to a website that shows the service letter). Get them to check the cylinders for "zebra stripping" as this was what the issues all stem from. If the service manager does not do anything after you showing them this, go to another dealer. I was speaking with a family friend who works at a dealership and he said they replace one of these engines daily! He knew exactly what my issues were. I unfortunately was the first one at my dealership to have this replaced (I also drive A LOT). Good luck and keep pushing!
  • Thank you for your good advice...I'll certainly ask about zebra stripping...nice to know the terminology! I have 54,000 on the car but think they've been working on the problem since it had under 36,000 miles. Thanks again,
  • For the fastest assistance, calling the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center may be best - they can be reached at 800-222-1020. You can also send us more details via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).
  • Mine issues went on for over 100,000km (60,000 miles). It was a pain, multiple timing chains, tensioners, etc. I am going on 10,000km with the new engine and everything seems to be working great so far! Don't be afraid to push.
  • Thank you so much for your words of advice and encouragement. Contacted GM customer service today and a district rep is supposed to be in touch within 24-48 hrs. I'm very ready to push at this point!
  • klm56klm56 Posts: 15
    Here's the service bulletin info but I am glad you are getting customer service involved since they didn't seem to help you at your dealership. Our dealer kept pushing to find the problem and eventually saw this service bulletin soon after it came out in May, checked our engine and now we have a new engine and doing fine. God bless your meeting with the district rep!

#PIP 5025: Excessive Oil Consumption Inspect Cylinder Walls (May 16, 2012) Document ID: 2857121

"Condition or Concern: Some customers may complain of excessive oil consumption. In most cases, the oil consumption rate will be one quart or more every 1,000 miles and the customer may notice that it did not start until the vehicle had accumulated 20,000 miles or more. In some cases, it may have appeared earlier if the customer's drive cycle mainly consists of short trip driving (more thermal-cycles). Upon inspection, the technician may note excessive oil in the fresh air side of the PCV system due to excessive crankcase pressure and blowby. They may also note that all 4 spark plugs have obvious/excessive oil deposits on them."

There you have it so now maybe your mechanic will check this one their special internet site and get your engine fixed.
  • Your post now has me worried when I was loving life just yesterday. Wife has 2010 Equinox with Ecotech 4 engine. I rarely ever drive her car but we took it on a family trip in August and she drove about 300 miles to our destination and then I took the car into town to pick up some provisions. I noticed the car almost stalled when I slowed down for stop lights, etc. She hadn't noticed any issues but when she was driving she was cruising along at 75 MPH with the radio blaring and everything seemed fine. I limped it into a service station and checked under the hood. Almost didn't even consider checking the oil...was looking for some other problem since oil was just changed about 1500 miles previous. I check it anyway and dipstick is dry. I add 3 quarts and it come up to correct level. I think "hmmmm...that's weird. No oil on ground where she parks and really no burning oil smell while driving....where the hell did it go?" We complete our trip and I don't think anything more of it. Wife goes last week to have oil changed (3000 miles since last oil change and only 1500 miles since I added 3 new quarts) and technician says oil is 2.5 quarts low. So, the internet search begins to find out what the hell is going on with this engine. By the way, vehicle has 24,000 miles. So I come across this thread and several other sites talking about the oil consumption issues with the 2010 engine. I print the tech bulletin and call my local dealership expecting that they will want to put me through an extended oil consumption test song and dance. Instead, head mechanic comes out and looks at engine and listens to my story and says " we are supposed to do the oil consumption test but I already know what your problem is based on what you told me. Let me tear your engine down and see if there is zebra striping in the cylinders. If so, you need a new engine. Plain and simple. It's a known problem and I have replaced 5 of these engines already. There's no reason to put you through that oil consumption test and make you come back here 5 times every 500 miles just so we can check your oil when I already know what's going on here." This guy is my hero. Straight and to the point and wants to just dig into the problem today. He says "get your stuff out of the car and we'll hook you up with a loaner and I will need to keep this for probably a week." So, he calls 2 days later and says we will be getting a new engine from GM. Severe zebra striping in cylinder heads and engine replacement is only option. So, I'm thinking how lucky I am that we found a mechanic that had actually seen the problem before and knew what to do and feeling very fortunate that we are still in warranty and this new engine will solve all our problems and it isn't going to cost us anything out of pocket. So, yeah...it's too bad and it's inconvenient but it's being handled and I'm respecting GM for stepping up and handling it. THEN, I read your post and you went through the same thing and you got a new engine too and now your new engine has all kinds of issues with it? Come on....really? I just went from happy to nervous.
  • Thank you but GM just replaced my car last week.
  • I don't know if I would be to worried yet, the new engine may solve your issues. I truley think that our car was built on a monday :) and it had other issues. However I happy to say tht my dealership and GM stepped up and helped me get out of it without losing a single dime. Hopefully you will have the same experience.
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to look up the service bulletin! I'm back home in PA and plan to stop into my dealership to discuss everything that has happened. This bulletin will be very helpful. I'll share progress.....thanks again!
  • parrothead2000,

We're glad that your dealership is taking such great care of you in this situation and are very hopeful that the new engine will resolve the oil problems you've been having in your Equinox. Please keep in touch with your dealership (and with us as well) on how everything is running once the engine replacement is complete. We're available to check into this further if you have any continued issues.

• jbh0jbh0 Posts: 1
    Over the last couple of months our engine light has come on, and stayed on, until we buy higher octane gas. Then it stays off until we try regular again - except some regular is OK. We have 47,000 miles and this is our first problem. We have one of the earliest 2010s, delivered in July 2009. Car started idling rough, so we took it to the dealer, who says they have not been able to diagnose the problem after two days of trying. Our engine is the 4 cylinder, we generally get two MPG less than the indicated 24 to 32 MPG, and we have had no oil issues. Sound familiar to anyone?
  • jbh0,

If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• My problem is slightly different than yours but may be associated. I have an early 2010 6cyl bought in 2009, I have 94K on it. LOVE my car. I was low on money and ran out of gas before getting to the gas station. Once I put gas in the tank (3gals), it still wouldn't start. Had it towed to my mechanic, he tried everything including a compression test as the computer showed it wasn't firing on 2 cyl. I had it towed to my local Chevy dealer. They did get it started (oiled up the 2cyl, fired right up) but my check engine light was on, after further investigation it was discovered that my fuel pump assembly (3 piece system) inside the gas tank was shot. This is covered under my extended warranty that I bought so the part and labor will be covered but, not the discovery labor $600. This fix will be done this week. Hope this helps. Mike B.
  • Good morning micmufman,

We're glad to hear that you all have found the source of the no-start concern on your Equinox. Keep us posted on how the fix goes, and we're available to check into anything further for you if need be.

• gpf2gpf2 Posts: 1
    Just got a call from my dealer saying that after one year they were able to find the problem with my oil consumption problems, I took my car over to the dealer more than 6 times plus all the oil changes and blabla blalbla, now they are saying that they have to keep my car for about 2-3 weeks to replace the engine, I had to fight for them to give me a rental without charging, I already had so much problems with the car, that I am so worry that once they replace the engine things will get worse,, I spoke with my lawyer and she will get all the info together so we can start the file to get a new car,,, let’s see if Chevy will do something about,,,
    by the way the people from the dealer are sooooooooo rude.....(every time that I went there the guy would say,, "its you again"!!!!!)..
    :confuse:
  • I too am putting my paperwork together. I am scared even through I have a new engine - my transmission is next. Car still doesn't run great....the engine isnt the only thing I have had problems with. Perhaps the Attorney General needs to know how many people need new engines and how many haven't gotten one yet as the time on their warranties tick tick away....
  • Good afternoon gpf2,

I see that you are seeking legal counsel on this matter already, and so I cannot offer to look into the situation further through Customer Service. If and when your lawyer proceeds with this, they will be put in touch with the correct department within GM . We're sorry to hear that it has come to this point; if you decide against working with a lawyer and want for us to check into this further to see if we can do anything from a Customer Service standpoint, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• I too am having problems with my 2010 Nox - The check engine lights comes on and stays on, there is a terribly loud rattling sound coming from the engine. Several months ago, I took it the Chevy dealer to have them analyze the problem. I was called soon after saying that it was because I needed an oil change, the light was off for several hours, came back on and went off, and now it's on again! I drove about 300 miles, to another state and right while I was in traffic, the car just turned off. Luckily I was right where I could turn onto a side road, tried crank it up, put it in gear and it cut off again, tried a 2nd time and got on my way. It turned off again in less than 3 minutes. I cut my visit to a couple hours and took a chance driving it back, in the night (foolish me) but I did make it home. I had read months ago how others were having the same problem and told them at the dealer but to no avail. I'm going make an appointment to take it in this weekend and have them look at it again. The last time they told me that there was a 3 weeks wait and I'd have to leave my car there for that length of time, I do not have another vehicle I can use to go to work in that time. Quick suggestions, referrals as to what I can tell, or take them to direct them to the most likely possible causes!
  • Good morning els2810,

If you would like for us to stay with you through the process of working with your dealership to resolve the issues you're encountering with your Equinox, we're available to you. Please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• @ - els2810

I have a 2010 V6 Equinox and about 2 months ago my check engine light would come on and off. When I brought my car in to get it looked at they mentioned that it was just low on oil and too said it just needed an oil change. The light then turned off however when I came to pick it up and drive away I noticed that the light came back on. I went in right away to tell them of the issue and they scheduled me for a time to come back the next week (since they were booked up the remainder of the weekend). When I brought it back they ended up replacing the timing chain. They had me come back after 500 miles to check the oil level and it was fine.

I also had problems at the same time with my air bag light which was not covered under warranty (@52,000 miles) it was determined that the wire was fretting so they also fixed that. Then about 2 months later the light came back on so I had to go back in to pull the code. As it was the same code as before the dealership replaced the part for free since they did not resolve the issue correctly the first time and provided me with a rental car. While having my car in I wanted them to check on the oil level to make sure things were ok since replacing the timing chain and they mentioned it looked fine.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I do not have any more issues... I have considered getting rid of it before the warranty expires and I am faced bill.
  • After driving around for three days with virtually no oil, i managed to figure out what was cuasing the high pitch noise. I was 3-4 quarts low on oil. No warning lights went on and my oil consumption on the computer said I had 35% left.. Now I go to my dealership and they are in the midst oh doing an oil consumption test. they have told me aboutthe problem with this engine and have inspected the spark plugs and have checked for blow back... What I feel is very disingenuous is that they say that is normal for this engine to burn 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles. I was never told this and certainly the computer does not show this... It appears that chevy came to this conclusion late in the game... Any comments
  • smc8888smc8888 Posts: 25
    It is definitely not normal, GM made a poorly designed engine and now tries to covered their behinds for warranty claims. If GM think this is normal, I challenge them to make it public telling everyone that when you buy a GM car, this is the standard of excellence they use. I wonder what other manufactures (Ford, Toyota, Honda, ...) about this, do they also think 1 quart per 2000 mile is normal? Give me a break GM!
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,329
    Used to be using a quart every thousand miles was considered normal, one every 2k is an improvement. Some engines use oil as always has been the case.

The Oil Life Monitor does nothing to check oil level, that is still the owners responsibility.

Beyond that some of the 4 cyl's had had a oil consumption problem and the test should confirm that and lead to further diagnosis
  • I am currently experiencing what many you have and are going through. I am looking for a little advice and some direction from anyone that can pass a phone number or email address along to me so I can contact a dealership that you have worked with to ask them about the stalling, oil consumption, and diesel sound that is coming from my 4 cylinder Ecotec engine?

My Equinox has always sounded a little rough, but no issues ever arouse over the 2 years of ownership (63,000 mi), so the thought never came to mind that there may be an underlying cause. I just thought it was normal. Well, 2 weeks ago, my check engine light came on (after I had it serviced a month before hand), I wasn't sure what the issue was because the car was running normal. I told myself I would take it down as soon as I could. Well, that same day, after the car had a chance to cool, it stalled on me. It did so, several times, and each time it was either at a cold start or with a few exceptions.

To make a long story short, my dealership took the car in and called me back within 4 hours saying they had fixed the problem and it is ready for pickup. I had a friend pick it up for me and she stated that the check engine light was still on and that the car still sounded terrible. The shop foreman came out checked the hood and said everything was fine. I told her to take the car back to the shop and have them fix the problem. They kept it overnight and the following day told me the car was 3 quarts low on oil (after having it serviced 3,000 miles ago) and that the reason for the car stalling was because of an O2 sensor was rubbing on the exhaust (hmm...).

Not sure if this will be the fix, but who knows. I asked for the error codes that came up and they gave me grief and when I had asked about the "zebra stripes" they thought I was speaking a foreign language.

Is this the dealership trying to avoid the labor and expense of replacing the inevitable? I have a solid 35k miles left to come back.

I would like some info on a shop I can contact about this problem because at this point it is about to become a paper weight on their doorstep!!!!
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,329
    For the oil problem I would be looking to ask the dealer to do a oil consumption test. I would also look through the prior posts and open a case with GM custmer assistance. Also check the oil level on regular basis and don't be hesitant to bring it back to dealer for them to check if it is getting low.