Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• nox123nox123 Posts: 76
    I have not had any of the mentioned issues I read about on this forum.....I'm glad I have 100K warranty left on drive line; if I do have engine or transmission issues which are ussully the most serious and costly, I'm sure my dealer will stand behind me getting nessisary warranty work done. I have an occassional shifting issue; not very concerned about it. The engine is raspy and always was. However my NOX cruises great on road and my MPG averages 22 mpg running A/C and 24 MPG with AC Off. Road trips 28 MPG at 70 MPH running AC. I have never seen 30 MPG the way I drive. I do push this raspy 4cyl and it dose a fairly good job. I let GM dealer change oil / filter every 3500-4000 miles since Nox purchase in October 2009. Dealer changed Transmission fluid at 38000 miles. I feel confident that any GM dealer will stand behind my current 50000+ mile driveline with my service history documentation since purchase. Changing drive line fluid is very cheap insurance, to help hold GM dealers feet to fire in the event of a driveline issues prior to 100.000 miles.
  • I got my vehicle back last Thursday and everything seems OK and the new engine is definitely much quieter. Too soon to say on gas/oil consumption but I am very happy with my dealership - Barnes Wheaton in Surrey, BC - they bent over backwards to find the problem and treated me with the utmost respect throughout the whole painful process. Fingers crossed.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,169
    This is great news, thelma61! Thank you for sharing and we're hopeful that everything's been resolved for you. Keep us updated, and have a great holiday season!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I sent my info to the address you listed and haven't heard anything back.
    Dealer just called. Finished putting on 2nd new fuel pump and timing chain. Said compression check came out good. Test drive went good. $885 for timing chain replacement. Hope it lasts. Still think that the faulty High Pressure Fuel pumps caused all of these problems. Last GM I buy!!
  • jlg44jlg44 Posts: 12
    I just got back my 2010 with a new motor put in at 34m miles .Was using too much oil. The motor is quiter than before and hope it works out. Had zebra striped cylinders. As far as the sensors goes mine had the same problem but the had to drive it for 60 miles to correct and reset computor . Love the car because of its gas milage. I have been lucky to have a good dealer ship that cars about their customers.
  • My new 2010 engine replacement has 20k and I am getting 25mpg. The old engine was getting 31mpg highway. I drive 100 miles a day . I am very disappointed with the outcome. I have 81k now on my Nox. I am really thinking about trading it in before 100k. I don't think I would buy another Equinox!
  • I have 20K miles on new engine. Gas mileage is terrible. I got 31mpg on the old engine and I am getting 25mpg on the engine. What gives??
  • Traded in our 2010 Equinox for a 2013 CR-V EX-L today.

I come from a long line of loyal Chevrolet/GM customers and have never owned anything myself that wasn't a Chevy, but the way this case was handled by the dealer and the GM Customer Service for the last 6 months was unacceptable.

Like so many other have written all over the internet in regards to this issue, I was constantly treated like I was an idiot every time I tried to get the problem taken care of - especially by dealer. With so many other things going on in day-to-day life, I just could no longer be bothered to fight a pointless battle on a car that first started burning oil rapidly right after the 30,000 mile mark.

The car was burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles because I was constantly checking it and adding a quart, but the dealer just flat out lied to me and told me it wasn't. So to prove it to myself instead of believing maybe I was crazy, I finally stopped doing the consumption test and drove the car for exactly 5,000 miles without adding oil...sure enough the check engine comes on around 4,000 miles, we take it to a Mr. Good Lube that isn't going to lie to cover their asses, they drain the oil and their is less than a quart in the crankcase. So a car is just going to burn an entire load of oil over 5,000 and this is supposedly normal?

The oil engine isn't the only problems I've had with this car either. The FM/Am radio reception was always terrible - which isn't the case with the new CR-V and the headliner was sagging about 2" minimum and of course, I was told that was normal too. I guess a poor product is just the new "normal" standard for GM.

Just a F- for GM, Chevy and the way they treat their customers, new or loyal. They lost a customer for good. No more GM. EVER.

I can't wait until I publish a negative review on dealerrater.com regarding my dealer and their General Manager contacts me within 24 hours begging me to remove it. No thanks, I think its fair everyone knows how lousy this car is and how lousy the service was.

Good riddance and thanks for nothing.
  • Like you, I have NEVER bought any non-GM cars ever since I bought my first used Buick Century in 1982. I also handle car purchasing for my wife and, naturally, she always drive a GM car (2009 Saturn VUE now). Although there were problems for most of the cars we bought, those were non-serous ones that were taken care of quickly and we have been, in general, happy with GM cars. The 2010 Equinox I bought completely changed that, I have numerous engine problems since the beginning, and GM simply don't want to admit and fix them properly. I have 67000 miles on the Nox now and if I can not get the oil consumption problem resolved soon, I will trade it in and say good-bye to GM for ever (that include my wife's car as well).
  • This is exactly the same boat we were in. I am just astounded that GM and the dealer treat their customers like their a bunch of idiots. Don't they understand that this day and age with the internet we are all aware of this problem and how it's being handled across the board?

I don't have time to battle and mess around. They had 8 months to do something about it but apparently they were stalling hoping my warranty would expire first since the 5 year mark of the 5/100,000 warranty is less than 2 years away now.

Give me a break. It's sickening that the government bails them out but they can't do anything to bail out their disgruntled customers driving around lemons.
  • took my 2010 nox to the dealer saturday for because all the blogs i read about the problems other owners were having, well mine only has 13000 miles on it and when they checked the oil none was one the dip stick and was still at 50% before a oil change was due and they would have to pull the head to see if i had the same problems as other owners with the 2.4 about zebra stripes but don't worry cause they had 2 engines in stock if they have to replace the engine. this is the only problem i had with the eng. besides low gas mileage/steering which thet fixed by replacing the rack at 6000. miles. will be looking for a new car soon before anthing else goes wrong before the warranty runs out
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    “and fix them properly”

Unfortunately, these engines are so poorly designed and engineered they can not be fixed properly. GM is developing a new 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine that will be used in the Equinox and hopefully that engine will be more reliable.
  • nox77nox77 Posts: 12
    It was with a heavy heart I purchased a new Dodge Journey. I turned in my Equinox for the exact reason you mentioned. After replacing my engine, the dealer next had to tear down the transmission. I had 71K. The dealer encouraged us to ask GM for assistance in purchasing a new vehicle. The negotiations went badly, with the regional GM manager pulling the original offer of assistance from the field rep. off the table and told us we get "nothing" due to the high mileage. I only kept the vehicle that long because I was being loyal. GM took care of all the issues, but, like you, I was looking at the end of warranty. So disappointed. I really liked my Equinox.
    Good morning jlg44,

We're glad to hear that you've been well taken care of! Have a great holiday season!

Good morning archer42,

Our apologies that you are having these troubles with your Equinox, though it sounds as though the dealership is working to repair the vehicle. Let us know if we can check into anything for you by email at socialmedia@gm.com (include our name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership with your inquiry).

• I have a 2010 Equinox with 25000+ miles on it. It started to not engage when I put it in reverse, so I took it to the dealer and they are repairing/rebuilding the transmission. I am so disappointed in the GM product. I wanted a CRV, but bought the Equinox to "buy American". Big mistake. The service department is helpful and they are sorry it happened, but what is in store for me down the road. I am reading about the "oil consumption problem" and wondering if that will be next. :lemon:
    Hello vernal_nox,
    We're sorry to hear that there were difficulties with your transmission and hope that the rebuild goes well! Keep us posted, and if you want for us to check into anything please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).

• I have a 2010 Equinox and have had the timing chain issue (twice), onstar issue (continuous), water in floor boards after rain and now the engine is being replaced. The vehicle has 42K miles on it and I am concerned about the future reliability and value. I have a case opened with GM and I am waiting for the call from the district service rep. They said they will be replacing the engine with a brand new 2011 engine and it will require special synthetic fluids and some sensors will also have to be replaced. This does not seem like a seemless engine swap and from what I have read there are the same issues with the 2011 engines. I would like GM to work with me on getting out of this vehicle and in a new one. I do not expect them to just swap it out, but a $1500 voucher would be an insult for all the issues this car has had.
  • First time on this site. I've been going through a quart of oil every 900 miles for the past 6 months. The dealership told me this is normal..... Besides replacing the engine has there been any other solutions?

BTW, I just called the dealer, told them about this site and the number of oil consumption problems I read. They now what me to bring it in on Monday. Hopefully, I won't get the run around.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,339
    Hopefully they won't give you the run-around. A quart every 900 miles is not within acceptable guidelines. Oil consumption test (pain that it may be) is most likely the best thing to do for now. I assume you have the 4 cyl that some have had ussues with.
  • Driver seat electronic lombar support just broke, add to all the other stuff, that was the only thing that brought me comfort...... (PS I wiegh 147 lbs) , I asked the dealer for an application for a job there, I'm there so often might as well make it pay..... yeahhhh make me a sales rep.... for a day...... I too bought this car to encourage GM after THEIR money problems, my cheques never bounce so they never have to go back and get satisfaction from me , how about sending the elevator back for US.... :lemon:
  • wirks4mewirks4me Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    Hello Sarah,

I have been going to the dealership to have my new replacement engine oil checked every 500 miles as per the directions from GM. They must not trust these new engines either.

I have noticed every morning for the last few weeks, when the engine is cold, the oil level keeps climbing up the dipstick. The dealership says: "according to GM, the engine oil level should read 'over-full' when it is checked cold". And I was told I have nothing to worry about...everything is fine and within spec.

I took my 2010 Equinox to an independant oil analysis company (which by the way, my dealership uses) and the test showed that the oil was contaminated with 6% gasoline at 1500 miles on the new engine and oil change, which results in very low viscosity. It should not be above 3% at 3000 miles.

So, now they are contacting GM to find out what to do next. Did the fuel pump fail again, internal engine problem, or something else?

I am really getting tired of all this BS.

What is your answer to this?
    We hope all goes well on Monday, joep15. I would recommend checking into oil consumption tests; we are available to work with you and your dealership on this if you like. Please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, a brief summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership) if you would like for us to look into this further.

didhedoright,

I'm not sure from your post here - was your dealership able to get this resolved for you? We're sorry that you've had to have so much done with your Equinox! If you wanted for us to look into anything, we're available via email at socialmedia@gm.com (please include your name, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the situation to get started).

Hello wirks4me,

Thank you for your patience in working with your dealership through an oil consumption test - I know that they can be taxing. If you would like for us to check into this further with your dealer, we'd be happy to do so. Please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• Sarah,
    Thanks for your heartfelt reply. I work in the customer service industry too, so reinterating what I said is so caring......(feel my sarcasm). The last call I got from the dealership was "we have no idea what is wrong, we are calling an engineer from GM to diagnos." At least I live in the Toledo area where GM Powertrain makes the 6 speed, although they probably did not produce mine as I understand it may have come from Quebec or Mexico. Anyway, I am very, very disappointed in this car to say the least.
  • I've had pretty much the same problems. Louds engine, burning oil, stalls at stop lights. I finally got a dealer to check it out and they were able to fix the problem. Since this forum was so helpful in helping me diagnose problems I'll return the favor. The following is exactly what the dealer typed in my service note:

"DAIG AND HEARD NOISE COMING FROM BEHIND ENG COVER. FOUND #PI0202D TO APPLY AND BE CAUSE OF NOISE. REMOVED FRONT ENGINE COVER AND ALSO FOUND BROKEN TIMING CHAIN GUIDE. HAD TO REPLACE GUIDE. REPLACED BALANCE SHAFT TIMING CHAIN AND TENSIONER. RESET CAM TIMING AND HAD TO REPLACE TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER (WHEN REMOVING SNAP RING TO RESET TENSIONER, WAS BROKE INTERNAL INTO SEVERAL PIECES). ALSO AFTER REINSTALLING FRONT ENG COVER, FOUND OIL PUMP TO BE LOCKED UP. REMOVED FRONT ENG COVER AND FOUND OIL PUMP TO BE BAD (WOULD NOT TURN LOCKED UP) HAD TO REPLACE FRONT ENG COVER ASYMBLEY (OIL PUMP MADE INTO COVER) REINSTALLED VALVE COVER WITH NEW GASKET PER SI. TEST DROVE AND NO ABNORMAL NOISE HEARD AFTER REPAIR."

That was about 1000 miles ago and so far so good. I hope this helps.
  • After reading all of these stories I couldn't resist publishing mine. I bought my 2010 Nox new. With in 2 months it was loud, shuddering and stalling, particularly in ECO mode. Took it to the service dept. at my dealer 6 times for this problem during which I was told several things ranging from "this is normal for a 4 cyl. to there has been a solenoid recall and we replaced yours, but it wasn't involved in the recall. I've been told my computer just needed reporgrammed", so I just said screw it and continued to drive it, out of eco mode (quite frankly it didn't make much difference anyway in mileage). I quit getting oil changes at my dealer and started at the quick lube, during which everytime I was told, your oil was low????? Usually more than a quart.

So over Thanksgiving I drive it to visit my family in WV. As I pull into town I stop at a local store. When I come out to restart the Nox it has no heat. Huh?, it just had heat on the way here, what happened? I look at the temp gage and it is rising. My family lives 1 mile from where I stopped, so I quickly get it to their house and park it. Nov. 23rd it goes to the Chevy dealer in Morgantown, where I was visiting, on the way (3 miles total) it over heats and the coolant light starts pinging. I get it to the garage and they say we can't get to it until Tuesday. Okay, I need to get back to Richmond but what is the choice???? NONE! I have to borrow a family members car to go 5 hours back home and wait. The diagnosis is the fuel pump, chain, etc......after replacing that the garage found the head gasket was blown, after pulling the head gasket they said the head was cracked, oh and by the way you were OVER 2 quarts low on oil.....the car has 52,000 miles on it and I owe 2 more years on it. WTH!

Finally today I get my Nox back, it took over 3 weeks for it to be repaired. As my family member and I swap cars out he says take it to your local Chevy dealer and have them look at it, it still isn't right. Either the gasket didn't seal, they spilled oil all over the engine or you have an exhaust leak, the only way you can drive it is vents closed, recycling air while driving down the interstate it smells so bad. I took it 5 miles down the road this morning, by the time I got to church I was nauseous and about to puke from the fumes! I am not putting my kids in there! I bring it home tell my husband, he pops the hood and finds a BUTT ton of oil sitting in a reservoir under the engine. He can't tell if they over filled it or it's leaking. So back to the garage it goes and AGAIN I'm without a car for how long????? As for oil consumption, the mechanic in WV says "for some reason these engines are doing that." Well that was helpful......
  • duetsuduetsu Posts: 36
    I too have a 2010 Equinox with almost 60k on it that has been in the shop more times for work than any previous GM car I have owned. To begin shortly after purchasing this car it had to have the computer module for the defrost replaced - this was a GM recall that I fought the dealer I bought the car from to do - they just kept resetting the codes and GM kept sending me factory recall notices to have it replaced. Finally took it to another dealer and they did the replacement. I have had the timing chain replaced, the fuel pump replaced and the lumbar drivers support replaced.
    Most of the work was covered by the power train warranty, altho the lumbar support was not as it happened at over 50k. What irrates me is that this car has primarily one driver and I do not frequently adjust the setting.
    My engine is also consuming vast quantities of oil and I am in the process of going thru the oil consumption test. Car sounds like a diesel engine and runs rough when it is cold. I refuse to believe, as told by both service depts that this is 'just how a 4 cyl is'. NO! I have owned three other GM's that were 4 cyl vehicles and I NEVER EVER had the engines use/burn the kind of oil that this one does - consumption of a qt of oil every 1000 miles is not only unheard of as normal frankly it is unacceptable.
    The service manager seems willing to work with me to resolve the issue but I have a huge concern that I will not be able to drive it the 150k miles I had originally planned.
    I bought this car because the reviewers were so enthusiastic about the new design GM had for this crossover and until I started having issues @ 30k miles I Loved it.
    On the upside my gas mileage has actually been quite good - it is averaging 28 mpg.
    u4iachic,

We're sorry to hear about your Equinox's engine and wanted to be sure to offer to check into this further on our end with yoru dealership. Please email us more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, a summary of the situatin, and the name of your involved dealership) at socialmedia@gm.com if you're interested.