Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• I would suggest bumping the car into neutral while sitting in traffic or at stop lights; it saves fuel, less stress on drive line and engine runs at a smoother lower idle....I have been doing this for years with my automatic transmissions and have never had 1 transmission or engine issue in my 40 + years of car ownership!

A Popular Mechanics suggestion I have followed for last 30 + years.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    And I have never put mine in neutral at a light and never had tranny problems in 50 years of driving. :shades:
  • I always put my 2010 Nox in drive at red lights, because the revs are lower.
  • Hi all, my 2010 nox just runs above 12000 Km. Yesterday, I incidentally noticed its exhaust pipe was very black compared to my 2003 malibu. I put my finger on the inside, and it turned out jet black soot in there...did the same to malibu, it was clean. Is this normal? :confuse: Should I bring it to dealer's attention? Thanks, BTW: my nox never run close to GM "claimed mileage".
  • Better get that oil level checked! ;) Mine was like that to. We didn't know it at the time, found out it was burning oil at an alarming rate. After the fact we noticed that the exhaust pipe was just as you described.
    Doing a google search claims that you just don't save much gas or any and that the sudden shifting back into drive causes more wear on the drivetrain do tothe sudden strain than leaving it in drive.
  • Just wanted to let everyone know that I had to put my new equinox, 3-weeks old with 400 mile in the shop. I went to go to work and started it up and on came a light for the engine malfunction. I needed to get to work and decided I would drive it anyway. I backed out of my garage and put the car in drive and notice some hesitation and continued down the road and just felt that it was not responding well when I stepped on the gas pedal. I decided to turn around, when I slowed to turn the vehicle around it stalled. I restared and it was very sluggish but managed to get it back inot my drive way. My husband came out and he went to me it back into the garage and it stalled, he restarted and stepped on the gas pedal firmly to keep it from stalling. So as of right now, I do not know what it wrong with it and will keep everyone up to date when I find out from the dealership service dept.
  • jonoxjonox Posts: 84
    Is your 2012 a 2.4L or 3.0L Nox?
  • Hello everyone,
    I am the happy owner of a 2010 Equinox which now has 43,000 miles. I noticed that the car has been shaking a little while idling at red lights... did not think anything of it until yesterday. While sitting at a red light, I tried to move the car and nothing !! Pressed on the gas, checked I was not on neutral and nothing... Got stuck a few minutes, shut down the car which then moved as nothing happened.... Has anyone encountered this problem before??? Thanks in advance,
    al1985 ( Albany, NY ).
  • So I’ve got a 2010 Chevy equinox that was purchased new in the summer of 2009. In July 2011 the car stalled in the driveway, no engine light or warning light of any kind went on. It started right back up but has since stalled when coming to s stop or slowing to under 5 mph 6 times since July. It’s been at the dealer twice and they can’t find anything that registers on their diagnostics tests and are at a loss on how to rectify the issue. It’s getting pretty frustrating to drive a car that is no longer safe to drive. Before I drive it back to the dealer to leave it there and throw the keys through the window and walk away, anyone have similar issues?
  • Crazy, 2010 Chevy equinox does the same thing only I have about 20k miles. It idles real rough and shakes at times when stopped at lights and stop signs. A majority of the time once it starts shaking, it will stall, with no warning light or engine light. We might be on to something here….
  • jonoxjonox Posts: 84
    Suggest you do a search of the "2010 Equinox Problems" threads for the word "ECO". You will find that some owners seem to have avoided the engine hesitation by not using the "ECO" setting which is designed to lower engine RPM for better fuel economy.

The "Eco" setting may be ok if you use it as an "overdrive" setting for highway cruising.

Worth a try anyway.
  • We also have a 2010 and it does the same darn thing..we thought it was because we shipped it to Germany and it sat on the boat..well I think that Chevy needs to fix this issue..it annoys me. My check engine light comes on for like a day or two then turns of for like a week..its so strange..I really like my car but its brand new..has anyone taken it to a dealer to see why it does that. Also today my Stailitrak light came on..we were just driving normal on the road..I am thinking the 2010 are screwed up.
  • I have the 4 cyl basemodel 2010 Enox, that I bought new in July 2010. It has 13, 000 miles on it, and I do get 24 around town, but only get 25MPG on the highway. Did your 24-26 MPG include highway miles as well? By the way I love my car, and am hoping after 15 months, it is still in the breaking-in stage, and the better MPG's will kick in soon!
  • I get an estimated 22-24 around town depending on my driving habits; agressive driving in city / stop and go traffic 22 MPG or lower; this is to be expected. Interstate Road trips driving at 70 MH I average about 27-29, depends on road conditions, weather and running A/C will all affect MPG on all vehicals. Overall I average 24 MPG with this 2010 4cyl. Nox and currently have 35000 miles on drive line. I let dealer change oil ever 3000, keep tires inflated at 40 PSI and only had a few warrantee items takes care of since purchasing NOX in October 2009. So far no real issues; its been a good vehical.

Being said; I have not seen 32 MPG or greater that is advertised; however I expect to pick up another 1 to 2 mpg this winter when not running the A/C 7 days a week in the extreem Florida heat. Overall not a bad value, concidering cost and size of vehical.
  • Thank you so much for your input. I usually go 70MPH on the highway with the eco on and the cruise control. I have never done better than 25 MPG on the highway. I do consistantly get 24 around town. I really love this car, however I had an HHR that always got 25 around town and 28-29 on the highway. I traded up to the Nox thinking I would have the same mileage in a bigger vehicle! Most of my driving is local anyway, so I am happy. I have not had any issues with my Nox at all, and for that I am thankful. I keep my tires at 35PSI, so maybe I should fill them at 40 like you do and see what happens.
  • You will get a little better wear / mileage running higher tire PSI if you don't mind a firmer ride. My vehicals always seemed to handle a little better with higher PSI also. In addition; I'm a firm believer for adding fuel conditioner every 3000 miles To ASSURE I Do Not have any fuel related issues. I have used LUCAS Fuel Conditioner for years and have used it in this suv since new.
  • Like you, I have the 2010 base LS. I received it on Sept 4th of 09, and to date it has just under 21000 miles logged. I'm consistently getting 22-24 MPG in local travel in upstate NY. But, once it hits the highways, it performs as advertised and gives me 32-33 MPG. The only recommendations I can give you is let the car take control; give it up to the cruise control and have fun with the thumb wheel! BUT...keep your top speed below 71...or the MPG drops quickly. Watch the tach & you;ll get the hang of it.
  • roykulproykulp Posts: 52
    I agree; over 70 MPG there is a significant difference in MPG; I'm sure you do not run your A/C like I do in Florida; I noticed a 2 MPG increase when not running A/C last winter in Florida; which was about 5 months of cooler spring type weather last winter, comparable to your summers in New York. I bet this SUV will handle well in the snow and ice for you; from my expreince in windy rain storms in florida.
    I too here in Michigan notice a 2 mpg difference between air and no air conditioning.