Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• If you can bring your equinox back and get another vehicle DO IT! I drove my equinox 2000 miles since I bought it in feb 2011... Been in the shop otherwise ...worse car I have ever seen. Best of luck to you :lemon:
  • I have a 2010 NOX with 50M and really wish I wasn't writing because I like the car. I am 6'6" and fit well in front or BACK seat! Also the service manager Bob at Novato, CA Chevy is a great and helpful guy.
    My troubles started almost immediately. At 10M it was sounding like the engine was going to blow. When I got to the dealer I was almost out of oil after only had 5 or 6M on the change. I have been using about a qt every 1100 or so miles mostly ever since. My lumber has broken twice and was fixed both times even though the 2nd time was after 36M. My steering box had the sticky problem and was fixed only because the service manager Bob drove the car home, about an hour commute to recreate the problem. That problem has now come back after 4M! I have always had the rough start with high RPM (1200) any time the car sits for several hours even in warm weather. As I read the posts it seems that this could be related to my oil consumption problem and the high pressure fuel pump failing and leaking fuel into oil. Funny because the dealership said my problem was fuel contamination and switch gas stations! It is inconvenient for me to go to a dealership out of town to continue to have my oil checked. I don't understand why they don't check plugs and see what's up?
    I also complained about the fact that I was loading the back and my knee went though the deck! Twice! It is just thin plastic and was not covered, cheap.
    I would be much angrier if the service manager wasn’t so dedicated to making me happy. I am sorry he has such an uphill task.
  • nailsgirlnailsgirl Posts: 13
    Had fuel pump replaced last month, 63K. Yesterday, engine started ticking, checked oil, no oil on dip stick. The oil was changed Feb 14. Dealer said probably needs new engine! Got a rental, will hear final analysis next week.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner, jpol4!

In the time since your post, have you been able to find a solution to the stalling condition you described? Don't hesitate to get in touch with us (socialmedia@gm.com) if you would like for us to pursue this further with you (please include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, the name of your dealer and a description of the visits you have made).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I'm sorry I didn't check in sooner, jec10. Sometimes the tool we use to catch posts on the different social media sites we work on doesn't catch everything.

It looks as though you've had your vehicle back for over a week - how has everything been running?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Have you ever contacted the Customer Assistance Center, starsmyles? Do you have any cases open with them (71-**********)? If we can get one going for you, let us know!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    raynman10,

I'm sorry that you have encountered so many difficulties with your Equinox. Have you worked with Customer Assistance already? We can get a case going for you if you haven't. Let us know!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Looking forward to hearing more about what the dealership finds on your Equinox, nailsgirl. If we can be of any assistance in the meantime, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi Sarah
    No, I have not. Only with Bob at Novato Chevy. I am taking it back again Monday for the two issues described above: oil consumption at about 1 qt every 12oo miles and the steering is sticking again during long highway drives. I really like the car, roomy front and back, great MPG but the troubles are mounting up. I am 63 and have never had an experience like this. What is the difference with a case vs using the dealership?
    Ray
  • kwnoxcakwnoxca Posts: 8
    I've also got the sticky steering feeling. Here is the "INCREDIBLE EXPLANATION" from the GM mechanic:
    "It is absolutely possible that you are experiencing a condition which is normal to the Electric Powersteering system (EPS). The sensation and experience is much different in ways then old conventional Hydraulic systems."
    I am suprised that I have driven this car under the abnormal condition for 2 yrs, and just recently felt the "normal" sticky steering. My car only has 20K and is mostly used for carrying my 2yr old daughter. I would think it is a potential risk of safety.
    Does anyone here have luck in fixing this issue? SERIOUSLY :confuse:
  • rski43rski43 Posts: 13
    The oil consumption problems all seem to be on the 2.4 4 cyl, does anyone know if the 3.0 v-6 direct injection engine has similar issues?

I use a quart every 1200 or so w/ present 2010 2.4.
  • carguy05carguy05 Posts: 30
    Does not sound normal to me. I have a 2010 4cyl Nox 42,000 miles and only use 1 quart every 2500/3000 miles.
  • smc8888smc8888 Posts: 25
    GM has already acknowledge this problem by publishing a technical bulletin (I don't know the number), the cause of this was in the gear box, ask them to replace the gear box and the problem will go away (my GM dealer fixed mine). You need to publish the name of your dealership to expose utmost incompetence, or they simply don't give a damn for customers once a vehicle is sold?
  • Sadly, it looks like this is a common story. My 2010 Equinox was purchased new. I have a long commute and was attracted by the gas mileage. I now have 91K miles on it

Since buying my car, I am on my 3rd fuel pump, 2nd timing chain and now, due to it overheating for no apparent reason last week, I'm getting a new engine. The thing sounded worse than an old school diesel. The first time my fuel pump went, I had to fight to get it covered. They let me off with just paying $50. Second time they covered it completely- because it was within 12 months of the first one going. This time everythign is covered under powertrain.

The best part this time- the only thing the dealership has for me to drive is a giant minivan with 250K miles on it. Last time it was a Jeep Liberty that was clearly used for food runs by the service staff- evidenced by the amount of fast food wrappers my husband cleaned out of it.

And before anyone asks- yes, I've talked to the wonderful folks at Chevy Customer Care. I get a call about every other day. We never seem to reach each other though- just play a lot of phone tag. I am beyond done with this car. We were looking at buying a Chevy Cruze, but I think I will test drive the Ford Focus for good measure.
    Hello Ray,

I am truly sorry that I didn't respond to your post sooner! Sometimes the tool we rely on to catch posts across the different forums we monitor doesn't catch everything. I hope your appointment yesterday went well -- do you care to share any details?

A case with us would allow us to follow up with you to make sure you were satisfied, and to then take action to see if there are any other avenues we could explore if you weren't.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • esperinosesperinos Posts: 18
    I still have one 2010 and one Chevy Cruze, and so far no major problems, but recently got rid of my other 2010 Equinox because I really couldn't depend on it
    Being reliable after 2 major engine problems in a month. And, no, I didn't buy another Chevy or GM product.
  • UPDATE!!!!
    Thanks to Bob Spomer, service mgr at Novato Chevy I am getting a new engine and new steering box in my NOX! This sure beats having to buy another car. In fact we ordered a Volt for my wife today after we received the news. It feels good to buy from a US company and have them stand behind the product.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    You must have the same tool they use at the end of line to catch problems. Looks like neither works very well.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I believe the 3.0L V6 is based on GM's 3.6L V6 that was originally used in Cadillacs and is now found in many vehicles throughout GM's lineup. The 3.6L engine has a history of timing belt problems and oil consumption, usually at about 50k miles.
  • rski43rski43 Posts: 13
    JPF> The LFW 3.0L V-6 has timing chains, not belts. You may be thinking of another 3.0L from GM ??