Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• nox123nox123 Posts: 76
    I think you should enjoy your new ford ride and contact washington with any further spare time you may have! I going to start surfing the Ford Forums in my spare time and dig up some old ford skeletons! Gotta love this nox reality forum!!
  • ronwelronwel Posts: 57
    edited March 2013
    nox123 - I can't figure out if you are a troll, or need to get your head out of the sand. There are major issues with this engine. I got rid of my 2010 Nox due to unreliability and engine issues. My father's 2011 is starting to rattle and show engine trouble. And STALLING while in traffic IS a safety issue!

This is not a small sampling of cars. I'm part of another online theta platform forum, and over there both the NOX and the Terrain are being reported as having the same issues discussed here.

Your Nox is running fine, but don't dismiss those who are having touble.
    Ron..no ones dismissing any GM issues...I'm simply giving my own opinon having pretty good mechanical sense for my own 2010 Nox...I still own my 2010 Nox and have had some of the same issues ie; engine, Trans Etc that have all been resolved by GM dealer for FREE incuding loaner car.

I appoligize for not caring to join your rally against one of the largest Auto Builder in the World....Being a business owner I choose to lead not follow; I will let GM Fix or Repair my car till I trade for a new nox this fall or 100K gm plan expires! I get some good information and feed back from this Edmonds forum. However I dismiss the garbage and non-sense that is nothing more than a forum realty show!

Hey, I have had a pretty good luck with my suv/truck, my business asscociate had good experience to date and a some owners I meet on road have had no safety or scary issues...GM just came out with a new policy for changing motor oil last week; makes me wonder how many with engine issues were related to owners not changing oil & filters as recomended or not even at all?

I personly know men and women that think nothing of not changing oil or maintaining their vehicals; my wife happens to be one of them!
  • ronwelronwel Posts: 57
    Being a Canadian, and living a short distance from the plant where they build the Nox, I'm very loyal and partial to GM. Every car I've owned, or my parent have owned has been GM.

This is not a rally against GM, but legitimate issues with an engine that is not functioning correctly. My old 2010, my parents 2011, and now my new 2012 all are showing the same issues. This is not some over reaction, but a legitimate problem. I'm careful about my cars, as well as my parents. Every 5000km my cars get an oil change, some times sooner. This is not a case of neglect.

So..enjoy your Nox, and I am glad that you are not having issues, and having it stall in the middle of traffic. However, instead of making cynical, snide, and arrogant remarks, just stay quiet if you don't have any solutions or positive things to say. Those of us with bad engines are upset, and making ill-received comments are not helping matters.

(And yes...GM has fixed my old 2010 for free. But I've also missed a bunch of time at work, and stress about getting my car in to be fixed while trying to look after my family. I'm sure those of us with engine issues have all had to deal with juggling our schedules to deal with this.)
  • reena02reena02 Posts: 3
    nox123, does yours vibrate when you're stopped at red light or at a stop sign or even just parked and go to reverse? the vibrating comes and goes.... they say that it's normal...
  • I have 2006 Equinox also and have had numerous problems over the last three years. If your are still sharing info, (I realize this post is two years old), I would be very interested in receiving it from you. Thanks.
    Occasionally it will run little rough at an idle; i do not use ECO and vehical seens to run better; I also do not sit long in traffic with truck in drive; I idle in newtral when hanging in traffic for more that a few minites.
    Interesting information: Wards Auto Magazine dated December 2009.

Oil spray reduces friction and noise in newer 4cyl Nox engines. Changing oil on regular schedule / mfg. recommendations would be imperitive to avoid friction and noise per this Wards Magazine artical 12/2009. Low oil level would shut down engine per other gm information; this is most likly caused from older broken down oil; which causes excessive friction / wear in 4cyl engine.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,134
    reena02,
    We would be happy to check into this situation with your Equinox further. Please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more information ( including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
    ambs1,
    I see that you have connected with us by phone - did you have a Service Request (71-**********) for you when you called?
  • dnydny Posts: 8
    at the risk of upsetting the people here that have had problems, I think nox123 has made some good points.

I have had a number of problems with my 2010 Equinox and I am among those who have had their engine replaced. I may be fortunate in that my dealer is in a small town and their business depends on their reputation and that means they provide great service. My dealer has always taken care of me, and while I have had to talk to GM customer service on occasion, it was not because of my dealer, it was because of GM policies.

My service manager (who I respect greatly) said that he believed that the engine itself is a very good engine and the problem is due to not using a synthetic blend for motor oil, i.e. don't use the cheapest oil the dealer has, and in not changing the oil often enough (thus the programming change on the oil life "gauge")

The only time my engine knocked or stalled was when the engine was low on oil, i.e. off the dip stick, and if that is your problem, then put in some oil and get to your Chevy dealer to do the oil consumption test so you can get the engine fixed/replaced.

For those of you who think other companies don't have some of the same issues, let me share what a friend of mine encountered. He has always owned Ford pickups and he noticed that his was burning oil so he took it in. His service manager told him that was common and that he should expect it to burn a quart of oil every 3000 miles. I personally don't believe that should be the case but it does point out that GM is not alone in having defects.

Again, if you are having problems, gather the information from this forum and see your dealer (and if your dealer isn't any good, find another one or call GM directly.)
    kbryan549,
    Let us know if there is anything you would like for us to check into, as well. We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • The equinox 2.4L engine failures would NOT be prevented by using synthetic oil nor by changing the oil more often. The dealer is just making that up to make it sound like it's the customers fault instead of a design flaw. I used the best FULL synthetic oil from the first oil change and changed the oil every 3000-4500 miles (not by the oil life indicator which typically had 50% left). My engine had the same oil burning problems as everyone else and had to be replaced at 38,000 miles
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Bingo! 5 lines but speaks volumes.

Is this 2.4 used in the Malibu. Or any other GM? Seems to me I read somewhere a couple years ago, it was built...forget..but think that it was dif from the Malibu. Do Malibu owners have this same issue? If they do..well..

I really really hate it when you get the infamous "they all do that" or "that's normal"...I could punch 'em in the mouth when I hear that...and I've never hit a person in my life. Yes, in years past before I started boycotting all the brands that insult my intelligence..country loyalty be damned if you are going to STEAL and LIE to my face.. i did have a clinched fist in my pocket a few times and a forehead vein that I'm sure was close to redecorating their service showrm.. :sick:
    Very well said...Owners need to accept responsibility and just hold GM's feet to fire under 100k warranty plan. I owned a new 1990 BMW with 36K Mfg warranty and was stuck replacing the engine due to having 45000 miles and out of mfg warranty. I Feel good about having the 100k protection after following these forums. I will hold GM's feet to fire if I have any warranty issues like the ones I read about; the warranty was key when I purchased truck!
  • reena02reena02 Posts: 3
    i already spoke to someone named brent from gm about this and i have a request number and everything....he was supposed to call me but he never did
    reena02,
    If you wanted to forward us that Service Request number via email at socialmedia@gm.com we can check to see what's happening with the file.
  • esperinosesperinos Posts: 18
    I have just completed a little over 34000 miles on the vehicle (non-GM) that replaced my 2010 Equinox, and I have had no problems with it whatsoever. One of the things I resolved to do was to ignore the vehicle's oil life indicator. I have gotten my oil changed every 3500 to 4000 miles, regardless of whether the indicator says it is due. The "oil life" indicator on the Equinox (also found on other GM cars) is a farce. It will easily get you to go up to 9000 miles before an oil change. With our remaining 2010 Equinox (about 30000 miles), and the 2011 Cruze (which has the same Ecotec engine), the oil is being changed every 3000 miles. I think that trying to extend the interval between oil changes is penny wise, but pound foolish.

I have not heard any unusual noise from either of my remaining GM vehicles - yet. I am listening closely, and when that happens, the vehicle(s) will go back to the dealer, and I will demand a new engine (not the "fixes" which I received with my previous Nox, two in one month).

I am not saying that it is only the oil change interval that's the problem. I truly believe there is a fundamental design flaw (or manufacturing flaw) in a batch of the 4 cyl engines that were installed in the 2010, that is now declaring itself. I am not an engineer, but what I have experienced - and what I have read on this forum - means that the problem is not a one-off or a coincidence. I can imagine what a recall will cost GM, but I know what it has already cost them - the loss of any customer loyalty I had. My current GM vehicles will be cycled out sooner rather than later and will be replaced by non-GM products.

I experienced the stalling problem also, and there is no doubt this is a safety issue at highway speed. It is only a matter of time before some tragedy occurs. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • I have been following this forum for a couple of weeks and I previously posted about an issue I had with my car stalling. GM customer service commented on one of my posts so I have been e-mailing them keeping them updated on the status of my performance issues.

Just to recap in case anyone else is having similar issues...my car stalled when I slowed to a stop. I didn't happen every time and seemed to always happen if my gas tank was at or below half full. It began to chug, spit/spatter, and eventually stalled. I described it as air being in the lines. It lost power and just died. It started back up without issue but I was fearful to take my car anywhere when the whole family was going for fear that my car would not be reliable. At this point, I've had the fuel pump, two silinoids in the cam phasers, timing chain guides and the timing chain replaced. I'm in a "wait and see" mode right now. I also know that gas was found in the oil. I do have to say that so far my dealership has been great. Communication with GM customer service through this forum has been great as well.

THEN...today I got a letter in the mail from GM advising that a software update has been introduced for the oil life monitoring system and I need to make an appt. with my dealer to get this software update. Two questions: First, am I getting this now because GM has been in contact with me over another issue (may or may not be related to the oil) or did everyone get this letter? There are issues I have with this letter. After reading MANY posts on here about people having issues with having low oil levels between oil changes, I'm thinking this is a CYA for GM. My letter says that in most cases, this update will recommend more frequent oil changes to support engine durability and overall operating costs. I change my oil every 3,000 miles not when the light comes on saying I need to change my oil. So, with that said does anyone know if my oil is going to need (or be recommended by this new software) to be changed more frequently than 3,000 miles? So basically, if you don't change your oil as often as recommended by this software (is it going to recommend changing the oil after 1,000 miles?????) then GM won't honor any warranty you have??? The letter also recommends that you check your oil level at each fuel fill. So, if you don't (who does?!?) and your oil level gets low, GM won't honor your warranty because you didn't check it frequent enough to catch the low oil level??? Clearly low oil levels are a common issue in the 2010 Equinox because people have hundreds of posts on here about that. This is GM's way of addressing the malfunction?!?!? You cannot put the design/engineering flaw back on the consumer. Figure out what is causing low oil levels and fix it!! The cost of the recall won't be nearly as costly as the loss of customers they have as a result of all of these issues. Just sayin...
  • elli2elli2 Posts: 14
    edited March 2013
    Here is my story (much of which echoes what I've read from others). October, 2012: My 2010 4-cyl Nox had been running great for over 2.5 years. One day it starting to buck and stall when I was decelerating as I approached a traffic light. Foot on the gas it was fine, but when decelerating, it kept doing this, and almost stalling each time. I immediately took it to the dealer, who said that I needed new cam actuators. They also changed the oil, and the car was fine.... Until February 6, when the exact same thing happened again: bucking, near-stalling as I would decelerate. Immediately brought it back in, and they found nothing wrong, except that the oil was completely dry. COMPLETELY dry. They filled it up with oil, car was fine.

Yesterday, 5 weeks later, I turned on the car, stepped on the gas and the car would go no more than 10 mph - no revving of the engine - foot to the floor, 10 mph, no rev. Hmmmm. After about 3 minutes, it "engaged" and seemed okay after that. Came home, let it cool down, and checked the oil, which seemed to again by dry! Decided last night to drive it in today for service. Good thing, because this morning, I started it in my driveway, went back into the house to get something, came back out, got in, and before I could put my seatbelt on, it sputtered and stalled. Started right up and I drove to the dealer. Reminded my service guy of the history, and what had happened in the last 24 hours, and that I had been reading a lot about all of the oil consumption problems and people who have finally had their engine replaced. He promised he would be proactive.

My service guy called at 5pm and told me that it took a little convincing with his service manager and corporate, but that I will be getting a new engine! Inspection revealed the oil was completely dry after just 5 weeks, and that there were no leaks...Which means that the engine was the problem. Of course, after following this column (and reading the Chevy bulletin on Oil Consumption that another reader posted), I knew that this was the eventual solution. I am hoping that this truly resolves all my problems, and also hoping it helps with the horrid gas mileage (I only average 19 mpg). I actually really like my car and if the new engine solves the problem(s), then I will be happy.

So if you are having these symptoms, DO NOT DELAY. Get to your dealer and get someone on your side. Have the oil consumption test done and demand a new engine if all else fails. You just might get one, too.
  • The air conditioner on my 2010 is not cooling and I hear a whining sound when the a/c is on. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be and how much it would cost to fix? I am not happy with my dealer's customer service and would rather take it to my local mechanic. I didn't realize all the problems people are having with their Equinox. I love my Equinox, but I won't hesitate to trade it in for another make. It has 82,000 miles on it and is a 6 cylinder.
    elli2,
    We're glad to hear that your dealership has been able to work though this with you and we hope that the engine replacement resolves the concerns you have been having with your Equinox. Keep us posted on how everything runs after the replacement!
    mahidibal,
    We're sorry to hear that you are having this trouble with your A/C and aren't satisfied with the service at your local dealership. Let us know if there is anything you would like for us to check into, or if we can help you locate a different dealership in your area. We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    See my post (#1915) - my car is presently having the engine replaced because of all of these oil consumption problems (I went through 5 quarts of oil in just 5 weeks!). Hurray to my wonderful dealer as well for getting me this far.

My question to you is - how has it been since your engine was replaced? Are the problems solved? MPG any better? Anything I should be looking for or that I should keep in mind with the "new" engine? Thanks!
  • duetsuduetsu Posts: 36
    Hi - My engine was replaced about 2500 miles ago. So far so good. The mileage is getting better with each tank of gas I use - I am up to 26.7 MPG (vs 28.2 on old engine).

I DO NOT drive in the eco mode. I don't trust it.

The only instruction the dealer had was to not drive sustained highway speeds for the first 3000 miles until the car is back for its first oil change. He told me to vary highway speed between 55 and 75 MPH to break the engine in......
    Presently I am not experiencing any issues with the new engine and am keeping my fingers crossed. I had a wonderful dealer also who worked with me and GM to get this resolved.
    Thanks so much! My old engine gets a horrid 19.5 MPG (I do mixed highway/local, but that's just awful!). I do a fair amount of highway driving as of late, in short spurts, like 20-30 miles at a time, so will remember to ask my service guy about what your guy told you. Until I started having these problems - around 40,000 miles - I really loved the car and didn't have any problems, so I'm praying that this does the trick. Best of luck to you.
    I've only driven a few hundred miles since the new engine but thus far it's running great, i.e. no knocking, stalling, etc. I use ECO mode all the time and that doesn't seem to be causing any problems either.

As far as gas mileage, we took a short road trip (150 miles) and averaged about 28 mpg so that seems reasonable with a new engine (speeds between 65-75.)

Given that this engine is in a number of GM vehicles, I'm expecting that GM has worked out the "bugs" in this engine (but if not, I have no problem "holding GM's feet to the fire" again.)
    The dealer, in this case my service manager, was not trying to make it sound like it was my fault ... far from it, he doesn't try to hide stuff from me (it wouldn't work even if he tried.) This was after the engine was replaced (and he was speaking from his years of experience.)

Having said that, I'm sure GM would love to sweep this whole fiasco under the rug but with forums like this, rest assured, that won't happen.
    edited March 2013
    This specific version of the Ecotec 4 cylinder is in the 2010-2011 Equinox/Terrain, a couple of Buicks and the Captiva. A different version of this engine is in the Malibu.

All of this is based on the information on Wikipedia (which I assume is at least fairly accurate.)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#Ecotec_Gen_II (scroll down to the complete list of the versions of this engine and where they are used.)
  • jampal75jampal75 Posts: 1
    All doors are working okay but the rear passenger door. The power lock goes up and down but the handle on inside and outside will not open the door. I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ.