Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,633
    edited July 2013
    Wasting good oil and having to use a bunch of additives would drive me crazy.

I'm at 186k in my '99 minivan and it's lucky to get the oil changed at the recommended 7,500 mile interval.

Once a year I may throw a bottle of Techron in the gas tank.

Stop Changing Your Oil

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Changing oil "more often than necessary," and using high quality oil & fuel additives is very much like taking vitamins for the human body. ----- My doctor told me that I am wasting my money by taking vitamins. ----- I still take a bunch of vitamins everyday with my meals. I have the "blood pressure" of a 21 year old male, and I am NOT 21 years old! ---- I am not on any medication. ------ So you see, it is a personal choice. You either believe in vitamins or you do not believe in them! You either believe in frequent oil and filter changes, and oil & fuel additives, or you don't! ---- It is a "free country" and each of us makes our own decisions. ----- Something is VERY different between my 2.4 four cylinder engine in my 2010 Malibu, and the 2.4 four cylinder engine in the Equinox vehicles that I am reading about on this site. ----- Why don't we have the same problems in the Malibu line of vehicles? ----- What is different about these engines? ------ Why aren't we seeing oil consumption problems in the Malibu line? ---- Why aren't we seeing timing chain issues in the Malibu line? ----- Something is different? ----- Is it the weight of the vehicle? ---- Is it the gear ratio of the drive train? ---- Let's explore this side of the issue!

Best regards to all!

Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
    edited July 2013
    Vitamin pills can be bad for you for sure. (cleveland.com)

It always amused me that the company that makes Amsoil also makes a line of vitamins and supplements.

Per Wikipedia, the '10 Mailbu uses one of these engines:

2.4 L LE5 I4 (gasoline)
    2.4 L LE9 I4 (gasoline/E85)
    2.4 L LAT I4 (hybrid gasoline)
    3.5 L LZ4 V6 (gasoline)
    3.5 L LZE V6 (gasoline/E85)
    3.6 L LY7 V6 (gasoline)

The '10 Equinox uses one of these:

2.4 L LAF I4
    2.4 L LEA I4
    3.0 L LF1 or LFW V6
    3.6 L LFX V6

The inline 4s may share similarities but they are tweaked for different vehicles. That's before we get into the transmissions they may be connected to, vehicle weight, etc.

GM Family II engine

So why are the 2.4 LAF and 2.4 LEA Equinox four cylinder engines having problems , and the 2.4 LE5 engine in the Malibu not having problems? ----- What is the difference between the two engines? ------ Are the Equinox engines "carbon producing engines," which locks the rings on the pistons, damages the cylinder walls causing "blow by" and high pressure in the crankcase, and as a result, high oil consumption through PCV system? ---- There are too many vehicles on this site having problems. This is NOT isolated cases! ---- I know that my 2.4 GM engine is a lot quieter now, as opposed to when I took delivery of the vehicle in 2010, by using the fuel additive. ---- But, using a product in the fuel is a "personal choice!" ---- I am only sharing some information and observations. The final decision is in the hands of the vehicle owners. ---- They make their own decisions as to how they are going to spend their hard earned money. ---- I like my four Cylinder Malibu. I think that the engine could use a "little more power," but it is sufficient for the vehicle. --- I do a lot of highway driving and I get at least 30mpg. (What is very interesting is that my 2007 V6 XLE Camry also gets 30mpg on the highway, and it can run rings around the Malibu in terms of acceleration. Both vehicles have a shiftable 6 speed transmission.) --------- Best regards! -------- Dwayne ;) :)

NOTE: I am not worried about an "overdose of vitamins!" ----- Your body expels excess vitamins everyday!
  • dowopdowop Posts: 25
    I am pretty sure the 2010- 2011 Equinox used the LAF. 2012- 2013 use the LEA.
    There must be a difference in the engines ---- OR--- the engines are assembled at a different location, with different parts from different vendors! ------ As a group we should investigate this issue, and share the uncovered information on this site. This will help the owners of the Equinox. There is something going on with the Equinox 4 cylinder engines that is NOT happening to the 2.4 Malibu engine. Lets uncover the "Mystery!!! ----- It could be a "group activity!" ----- I feel like I am back in High School! -------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
    We have Identifix reliability ratings here and it may be helpful to compare the 2010 Malibu with the 2010 Equinox.

The Malibu has minimal engine issues between '06 and '10 while the '10 Equinox stands out for having moderate problems.

"An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Coolant Pump Chain (2.4L Engine)."

I had a 2010 Equinox with the 2.4 & it made the ticking sound from the day I bought it. Dealer said it was caused by high pressure fuel pump. I changed the oil every 3000 miles. I traded it in for a 2013 2.4 Equinox & it does not have the ticking sound. I have a little over 3000 miles on it.
  • cjgacjga Posts: 18
    Keep your fingers crossed
  • kynoxkynox Posts: 17
    You guys correct me if I`m wrong but I believe the 2.4 in the Malibu is not a direct injection engine as in the Nox. I believe the Malibu uses a throttle body as its fuel delivery system. With direct injection fuel is delivered at a higher pressure and uses 2 fuel pumps to do so. I believe it is also more prone to carbon buildup. I have 40,000 miles on mine. Have now had the chain issue fixed. Just got back from a 1000 mile trip. No oil consumption issues and gas mileage for the trip was 30.9 mpg with cruise set on 73 mph for all but 120 miles of the trip.
  • I have a 2010 Equinox and I am experiencing a LOUD sounding engine. It sounds like a diesel engine and it's a 4 cylinder. When I brought it and returned to the dealership to pick up my license plates I asked them why does the engine sound so loud. The sales person said he gets that question all the time and it's because of the type of engine it is. Over the years the sound has became louder and louder. Sometimes the engine seems as though it skips too. I've also experience annoying sounds from the rear hatch door. I've taken my car back to the dealership several for the noise. I love the idea of the vehicle but I am so disappointed in my Equinox. The dealerships are slick because they do not record your complaints in the system. I highly recommend that anytime you experience an issue make sure they record it in their system and it's printed on your service order. Do not allow them to hand write it on your service order. I agree with another posting that Equinox owners should have a class action case against Chevy. It is so unfair to pay your hard earned money and get a lemon.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,154
    Hello whatandwhy,

To add to that, if you're experiencing a certain issue with your vehicle, either contact GM Customer Service by phone or let us know here on the forum. We can document your issue and have it on file for future reference.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • audionuttyaudionutty Posts: 12
    edited July 2013
    The 2.4L LE5 on the 2010 malibu is not the same as the equinox LAF engine. Malibu does not have direct injection. The cars with the same engine code as the 2010-2011 equinox are the 2010-2011 buick lacrosse, 2011 buick regal and 2010-2011 gmc terrain
    If the "direct injection 2.4 engine" is more prone to carbon buildup, then using a "fuel additive" on every fill up just might control the carbon build up on the piston rings, and keep them free to move within the piston grooves. This could then prevent the high consumption of engine oil. ---- A "high quality fuel additive" would also lubricate the fuel pump, and the fuel injectors. In addition, the "fuel additive" will keep the injector tips, and the combustion chamber clean. ------- Clogged fuel injectors would cause a rough idle.------ Fuel injectors are "electromechanical devices," and they need some lubrication to function smoothly! But like everything else, the final decision rest in the hands of the owner of the vehicle. Some people believe in fuel additives, and some people do not believe in fuel additives. ------ I use an additive at every fill-up! -------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    HISTORY DOES HAVE A TENDENCY TO REPEAT ITSELF!

Back in the late 90's OMC, (Outboard Marine Corporation), manufacturers of the Evinrude & Johnson line of outboards came out with a new technology call "Fitch!" ----- This was a "new fuel and oil delivery system" for two cycle outboards. ----- It was a form of a "direct injection of fuel" into the combustion chamber of the two cycle outboard. (THERE WAS NOTING WRONG WITH THE TECHNOLOGY! It was a major breakthrough in fuel delivery for outboards!) ------ The problem developed when the outboards were tested. ------ Most outboards are tested at "wide open throttle," (WOT), for hours. This new technology passed with flying colors, but in the "real world of use," outboard motors are NOT run at WOT all the time. This is especially true on fishing boats. It was found that when run at other RPMs, these engines produced "carbon," and this "carbon" would seize the rings on the pistons, and these "seized piston rings" would destroy the cylinder walls, and over time the power head of the outboard was destroyed. ------ Unfortunately, OMC did not know what was causing the power head problem and they "payed out" many power heads on their warranty and extended warranty programs. This along with other issues caused OMC to go out of business. ----- Bombardia from Canada purchased OMC, redesigned the combustion chamber of the "Fitch Engine," fixed other quality control problems, and now markets the engines as E-Tec! ---- What is interesting about the "OMC Fitch engines" is that those owner who used "Chevron Gasoline with Techron" did NOT have the "carbon build up problem." ---- Had the other owners known about this information a lot of power heads could have been saved! What we are seeing with the "direct injection on the 2.4 in the Chevrolet Equinox" is very similar to the early OMC Fitch engines! ------ QUESTION: ---- Would Techron or another fuel additive help? ---- I do not know, but it would be worth a try! ------ Just a thought to consider! ---- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
    edited July 2013
    All gas in the US since 1995 has had deposit control additives in it. (Wikipedia)

If you have Chevron in your area, you can use it and get a smidge of Techron in every tank. I used it regularly when I lived in Boise for a decade, although I still had to clean my throttle body every 30k miles.

The Toyota gel issue (aka sludge) a few years ago was interesting. Toyota's answer was to shorten the oil drain interval. But they wound up moving and changing the oil passages in the engine. Also interesting was the fact that many owners had sludge even though they changed their oil at the "old fashioned" 3,000 mile interval.

• rski43rski43 Posts: 13
    edited July 2013
    Stever@Edmunds> granted deposit control has been in place since '95, but not all "deposit control" additives are created equal. Read at http://www.toptiergas.com. I've been using Shell or Mobil exclusively for the last 7 yrs, live in MA. It does make a difference.
    edited July 2013
    That's another fun topic. :D

"Edmunds.com put this question to experts in several fields, including an automotive engineer at a major carmaker, gasoline manufacturers and two engineers with the American Automobile Association (AAA). It boils down to this: You can stop worrying about cheap gas. You're unlikely to hurt your car by using it."

Top Tier Gas

After moving to the UP of Michigan three years ago I didn't have much choice in gas so I've been using a brand I'd never heard of. One day I glanced at the pump and noticed the "Top Tier" label on it. I still had to get my throttle body cleaned last month, lol.

• nox123nox123 Posts: 76
    Im a firm believer in using fuel additives on a regular basis; I have been using Lucas & Seafoam additives in my new cars and trucks for over 25years. I just traded a 2010 4cyl Nox with 55k on a 2013 V6 Terrain. My 2010 never had any engine issues or let me down in past 42 month. In addition; I have never had the need for throttle body or injection pressure cleaning due to using additives. Using fuel Additives and changing oil regulary is good cheap preventive maintenience.
    I also believe in the use of additives, but just for some "fun," I decided to do a search on this subject. ------- I came up with the following information which just might be helpful to everyone on this site.

Direct Injection is being used by auto manufacturers to "wring out" more power and efficiency from the gasoline internal combustion engine.

DI is more efficient, and it helps to generate more power than an engine with port injection.

There is also a problem with this technology, and this problem is "carbon build-up over time," and this can degrade power and efficiency. ---- Excessive carbon deposits overtime have an extremely negative effect which includes performance loss, sporadic ignition failure, and potential holes burned into the structure of the catalytic converter, (should a bit of carbon break lose and pass through the combustion chamber.)

DIRECT INJECTED ENGINE EFFICIENCY

1.) DI uses a "leaner fuel air mixture ration!"
    2.) With DI the fuel inside the combustion chamber is allowed to burn more efficiently.
    3.) DI engines use a mixture of 40 or more parts of air to one part of fuel (40:1). ---- A normal gasoline engine has a ration of 14.7:1. ---- A leaner mixture allows fuel to be burned much more efficiently.
    4.) In DI the engine burned the fuel more completely.
    5.) To maintain optimum combustion efficiency, the injectors must be operating very close to original equipment design specifications, and hard carbon deposits within the combustion chamber must be kept at a minimum level.
    6.) Fuel injectors are designed to operate through several billion cycles during their useful life. --- The first common problem relating to injectors is restriction. --- Even a slight restrictions will change both the injector's atomization quality, the volume and it's ability to deliver at a given load and a given engine rpm. ---- Given time, contaminants will restrict injector flow. Just ONE inefficient injector will affect the overall performance and fuel efficiency of an engine. Everyday, unburned fuel adheres to the injector pintles and to the orifices, and this will eventually alter injector flow volume and injector fuel spray patterns. ---- When the engine is stopped, heat will bake the residual fuel onto the nozzle tips. That will cause a lack of engine performance, leaking fuel injectors and damage to the O2 sensor and Cat Converters. ---- Restricted injectors will build carbon deposits. Carbon deposits are a VERY poor heat conductor. As a result, the fuel vaporization process, eventually will become less effective. Cylinder combustion efficiency will be reduced. ----Fuel is wasted. Performance is decreased.
    7.) Heavy carbon deposits can become a very effective fuel sponge. This effectively causes a "lean air fuel mixture!"
    8.) Carbon buildup in the combustion chamber will also affect heat transfer. An additional heat build up of just 30 to 40 degrees from excessive combustion chamber combustion deposits can cause pre-ignition resulting in a reduction in fuel economy and engine damage.
    9.) Several factors contribute to combustion chamber deposits.
    a.) Fuel injector problems.
    b.) Oil vapor emission from the PCV SYSTEM.
    C.) A loss of piston ring movement.

Techron, BG, Lucas & MMO are some of the products that could be used to control some of this problem! ---- (There are also other high quality products on the market! Do a search on the "net!") ----- I hope that this information has been helpful! ---- All the best! --------Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • rdpererardperera Posts: 2
    My Chevy is doing the same it is a terrible noise , that some time look like you are driving a tractor, it is a pity I love my car and is well conserve since I but it in 2010 new 0 miles, been the only owner of it and all services done, but this noise some times , like to trade it by a bicycle .
  • rdpererardperera Posts: 2
    How can this noise be fix? Do any body knows what to do about it, is very molesting
    55k and 3 years is nothing. :-) I don't use additives and I've only had four cars since 1982 and I'm still driving two of those.

Hi Stever:

What is GREAT about this forum is that each one of us can share automotive information with other interested individuals, based on our first hand experience and our automotive knowledge. ----- This sharing allows everyone to read and consider the presented information, come to their own conclusions, and take their own actions. ----- While the modern automobile has been tested prior to being offered for sale, nothing beats "real world testing," and this real world testing is usually where the the issues arise! -----I am sure that GM never envisioned that their 2.4 direct injection engine would have these kinds of problems. ---- There are many people of this site that have a strong background in automotive maintenance as a career, and also as a "hands on hobby," and their are others who just drive their vehicles, and do the basic maintenance according to the manufacturer's product manual. ----- This site allows everyone to eavesdrop into each other's world, and as such, we can learn from one another, and in the process consider different opinions. ----- It does NOT mean that one person is right, while another person is wrong. It just means that we see automotive maintenance from a different point of view. The modern engines today are totally different from the engines of the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70s, etc, and yet the basic operating principles are the same. Because they are different, they are "charting new territory" both in terms of engine operation, and in terms of engine maintenance. Vehicle manufacturers historically do not advocate the use of any product that they do not offer for sale under their name! This is just good business. But on the other hand, it does not mean that the "aftermarket products" cannot perform a service as advertised. --- (A perfect example are the aftermarket computer chips that are offered for sale to increase engine performance. Chevrolet will not endorse them, but that does not mean that they do not perform as advertised.) --------- (I could purchase an aftermarket chip for my 2010 2.4 LTZ Malibu to increase its performance.) The automotive vehicle manufacturers do not have all the answers in terms of vehicle performance and vehicle maintenance. Some "back yard / good old boys & girls with the right equipment can come up with some very unique / creative ideas that are "off the chart" in terms of acceptable maintenance. ---- Success is doing something that solves a problem, and in the process, brings about a desired result! ---- (You do not necessarily have to know why it works, you only need to know that it solves a current problem! If you want, you can do the research at a later date!)

Best regards!
    Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    Amen. And the world has changed. I'm old enough to remember when you'd see cars broken down on the side of the road all the time too. Now you rarely do, although you can't really tell which cars are struggling to get to the garage in limp mode.

The one problem with internet forums is that people rarely take the time to post when their vehicles are running fine and everything is normal. The problem posts sometimes make it seem like every car is a lemon (and that could explain why I haven't purchased a new one in the last 13 years!).

I have followed this forum since 2010. It seems that a lot of problems with the engine were reported in the first couple of years. The Nox did come out in 2009. I have not noticed anything about 2012 engine problems. Is it because they witched then from the L.A.F. to the L.E.A. Model?
    What is the difference between the 2 ??
  • oskee99oskee99 Posts: 3
    My 2010 Equinox 4 cylinder,58000 miles, needs a new engine because it apparently it ran out of oil. No oil pressure, oil consumption or any oil warning light ever came on. The oil and filter has been changed regularly--even more often than was originally recommended. 2/3 of those oil changes were done at a local oil change place. The GM dealer who has the car says GM will not accept the computer printout receipt from the oil change place, that they must have the original receipts. In addition, my husband as done about 4 of the oil changes in the 3+ years since the car was new--including the first one in 2010. He ways we have to have the original receipt for the oil and filter or any my husband did. Going back through our receipts from 3 years ago, assuming the Walmart receipt is in the box, is an extreme hardship for us.

It's pretty clear there has been a problem with this car and its engine. Any suggestions as to what I can do to get GM to honor the powertrain warranty without my having to hire and attorney?
  • nailsgirlnailsgirl Posts: 13
    My engine was replaced 62k miles. You need a GM rep. I had no problem. Call GM and ask for a mediator. good luck
    I can not understand why anyone would spend $25,000 for a new vehical and not follow the manufactures instructions for the GM Warranty! The regular oil changes should be done per GM warranty / dealer recomendations; the owner / buyer is responsible for getting this service work done. Changing your own oil today "2013" is a waste of time, money and will not get recognition from any vehical manufacture in the event there is a serious drive line issues with vehical. I always use the dealer for all drive line service work while in warranty; and then there is no doubt GM will back the vehical warranty...Trust me I know first hand! The GM dealer only charges about $29.95 for a documented oil change!!!! Very Cheap Insurance.
    I agree 55k is not high mileage...However there are many 4cyl Nox & Terrain owners that experience premature engine issues that could very well be due to dirty contaminated motor oil and fuel injection issues. Changing oil every 3-4K miles and adding fuel additive is cheap insurance and makes sense.