Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• rvm819rvm819 Posts: 7
    My 2010 Equinox with the 2.4 Ecotech engine was fine for the first 70k miles. Since then it's been all down hill. It started pinging about six months ago and since then I've had a belt and idler pulley replaced and a new fuel pump. Now this week I took in in for what I thought was a computer upgrade to remove the spark knock, and now they tell me it needs a new timing chain. I'm now at 78k miles and like you ready to trade for a Ford. I thought GM had improved quality, but the Ecotech engine is not an improvement!
  • I got a call from the service agent this morning. Nothing came up in my diagnostic and the tech drove it for almost 15 minutes and nothing happened. I was told it was a "very happy car".

Funny, it's not happy when I drive it! Yesterday it was so unhappy, I sat on the side of the road with the engine shut down to idle (by the car) cause it was overheating.

Hate my Chevy.
  • eugene11eugene11 Posts: 8
    Perhaps you need to take a copy of a few pages of this forum to educate your dealer on similiar Engine issues with 2010 Equinox, their personal dealer experience may not have dealt with the issue before. JMHO
  • jpol4jpol4 Posts: 3
    This is a follow-up to my earlier posting #1245. I took my equinox to a 3rd dealership who immediately recognized that it didn't sound right. They replaced the high pressure fuel pump and "the timing chain tensioner with pump chain and tensioner" (per work order). They had my car for 4 days and it now sounds like a new car. All was covered under warranty. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but for now...hooray for Champion Chevrolet! My best advice, if you can, keep going to different dealerships until you find one that will listen to your concerns. I hope this information can help someone else who may be going through a similar problem with their car.
  • foster904foster904 Posts: 9
    Okay, so the dealership changed out the pistons and returned our Nox, but it will be going back because it still has the chatter.
  • rvm819rvm819 Posts: 7
    I am also following up on a previous message #1365. After my timing chains were replaced last week, the spark knock problem has been corrected...finally! The engine is also much quieter and it runs like new again at 78k miles. I took several pages of this forum to my dealer, so it does help to guide the dealer toward a solution!
  • andyusmc1andyusmc1 Posts: 1
    We have had a continuous problem since about 20k miles. Bought it new. Had a ticking in the engine back then. It was the timing chain they replaced it. Happened again another timing chain related problem, again fixed.Happened again in Fl on vacation. dealer says nothing wrong.They said we were low on oil, of course no message on the dash and we were within 1000 miles of our next oil change due per our sticker.And we change oil every 3k not 5k.They changed the oil we drove home knocking got worse. Took it back to dealer, they fixed it again. Well now at 63k miles again knocking ,had oil change two days ago,service person says tailpipe is black your burning oil,had 300 miles to go before oil change was due,the dash display read 69% oil life left. Taking it in today after reading all these posts I am scared that I dont have an extended warrantee just the 100000k powertrain . Will let you know.Wish me luck
  • kzk8brownkzk8brown Posts: 12
    I only get 21. mpg whether I travel long distance or local. maybe 22 30.1 is excellant. I think something is wrong with my 2010 nox.
  • Today my 2010 Equinox shut off when driving. Tach and speedo went to 0 and power steering was gone. Took me a minute to realize the car had actually fully shut down when it was running good earlier. I was slowing to a stop at a stoplight, wanted to get into the right lane and accelerated to make the lane change. The transmission bucked hard and I assume that is when the engine died, I didn't realize for a few seconds since I was coasting a stop and didn't need gas or steering. When I tried to straighten up in the lane is when I realized the power steering was gone and then noticed the car was off. The car started up just fine after that, but obviously this isn't a good thing to be happening.

I've done a little research and found that the PCM on the '06 Equinox has been faulty on numerous occasions and there are forum posts for this exact issue, only on the '06 model. This makes me inclined to think it may be the PCM on my '10, but I'd like to get some feedback from other 2010 owners that have had this problem before I take it to the dealership to get the PCM replaced.

If you've had this problem or have any information to share on the subject I would very much appreciate it.
  • dcinohiodcinohio Posts: 4
    I have had this same issue and speaker replaced and I still have the noise...I also notice this more when it is hot toward the end of the day. It is very annoying and drives me nuts. I have owned my Nox two years and have had the fuel pump replaced twice and the timing unit replaced and now this....I am beginning to wonder if I have a lemon. I will have the insulation checked and see if this helps...lets keep our fingers crossed. I travel a lot and the radio is a must....thanks.
  • kynoxkynox Posts: 17
    I have not had an issue with the speaker since they insulated the door skin. We traveled to the Smokies a couple of weeks ago and I averaged 31mpg. Driving some of the back roads I believed I picked up the faint noise of some spark knock at about 1700rpm and 15 mph under load going up a steep hill.Probably wouldn`t have heard it but we had the windows down. Will take to dealer. I believe there is a tech bulletin out on this issue. Have not had any other problems . Now have 27000 miles on car.
    I have also had the same issues...at first the dealership told me that it was normal for this vehicle. I was not happy. Took it to another business to get my oil changed and they refused to change my oil...that there was something wrong with the engine...that the noise was not normal. I took it to another dealership...White Allen in Dayton Ohio. They recognized the sound immediately changed out the timing unit and this resolved the issues. I had already had the fuel pump replaced twice before. I get decent gas mileage on my Nox...usually around 32 -33 mph on highway. I travel for work so I am constantly monitoring my mileage.
  • nailsgirlnailsgirl Posts: 13
    My engine replaced too. Now my gas milage went from 32 mpg to 25 with the new engine. Now what?">link title
  • nox77nox77 Posts: 12
    I had that happen twice. Dealership thought it was the PCM, then replaced a gear, then the timing chain...this went on for a year, everything being under warranty. I eventually got a new engine from GM when I had 67,000 on it. I had it back in just days, and all is good.
  • nox77nox77 Posts: 12
    Ask your dealer to consult with a GM technician. Mine did, and I got a new engine at 67K. I have 71K now and no problems. A friend of mine did too. Not only did she get a new engine, the dealer bought back the car and gave her the same terms on a new Nox, but she got a 6 cylinder this time. Smart woman.
    Ok when we checked out the insulation...it was about every 8 inches on the door skin. Went ahead and had it filled in with insulation to see if this resolves the issue. Keeping our fingers crossed. I will let you know how it goes. Fyi...I have over 66000 miles on my Nox.
  • jlg44jlg44 Posts: 12
    I have a 2010 4 cycl Equinox and at first my wife loved it . Now with 24m mile on it it stays in the shop. My latest problem is oil comsumption . I also think it was from when it had a fuel leak that went into the crank case. I am using over 1.5 quarts per 2000 miles. Dealer said they hadn't hear of this but I know they have. Can anyone tell me if there is any chevy bulletin out there that I can show them. Also car makes a treible noise if you go ver any bumps.
  • kzk8brownkzk8brown Posts: 12
    I too would like any and all bulletins issued by chevy concerning the oil consumption. My repair guy is doing the oil consumption test now on my 4 cylinder 2010 nox and so far has burned 1 quart per 1000. miles. He also claims there is no bulletin. Hard to believe as this looks like a stantard complaint. In addition, some one posted that they have recieved a Class action suit notification concerning the 2010-2011 nox. Would that person or anyone esle forward information?
  • I had to have an oil consumption test done as well. I was burning/using 1 quart every 1000 miles as well. Several times I took car in for oil change and there was no oil on dipstick! and that was only after 5000 miles. Dealer told me it's standard that it burns that much oil in between oil changes. I don't think so!
  • teenwolfteenwolf Posts: 1
    I had the same issue. My 2010 equinox has 47000 miles on it and it had a rattling noise coming from the engine. We made the appointment to have it looked at but it overheated on the interstate before we were able to get it to the dealership. Once the engine was looked over, it was determined that it was a blown head gasket. So far this car has had a faulty airbag, a recall on the washer fluid heater, and now a blown head gasket. :sick: