Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• rocketentrocketent Posts: 60
    I really don't know what's going on with the oil in my Nox. First change, free by dealer, oil was full before drained. Second oil change, by local mechanic, also full before drained. Two thousand miles later, I'm down 2 quarts, so I take it back to local mechanic, who adds two quarts. I take it to dealer who runs a consumption test and finds no problems and changes the oil again and asks me to drive for 1000 miles and bring it back if the oil is down. He also shows me on the GM computer, where it states that 1 quart every 2000 mi is acceptable. So I've driven over 1000 miles and my oil is full. Both the dealer and local mechanic use the same grade dino oil, but when the dealer fills it, there's no burning. Weird!!
  • smc8888smc8888 Posts: 25
    Next time when the dealer changes oil, take a measurement immediately before driving off the dealership. I suspect (no prove) that they overfilled the engine to compensate possible loss.
  • dcinohiodcinohio Posts: 4
    Latest update on the static/buzzing noise in the speaker...once we fixed the insulation this resolved the issue. I admit I was a skeptic but it was worth trying since nothing else worked. Thank you Kynox!!!
  • kynoxkynox Posts: 17
    Glad it worked. I have had no further trouble with the speaker.
  • I have a 2010 equinox and the one major issue I had was my trans went out at 42k miles. Granted I am EXTREMELY hard on my car...I put roughly 35-40k on a car a year (I bought this car in April of 2011 with 10k miles on it, I now have 53k as of today). Previous to my nox I owned a 2002 Chevy Blazer and let me tell you that truck was a CHAMP. I don't have the oil consumption issues I mainly see complaints about, though I do have the speaker rattling issue I've seen posts about. Every vehicle has its issues....the Toyota with the sticking gas pedal, the Dodge with the transfer case problems, Chryslers tend to have electrical issues, Ford is just plain all around terrible; every brand has its quirks. Chevy is a solid brand. I'm sorry you're having so many problems. If your nox is really a lemon, try a Traverse :D
  • jpol4jpol4 Posts: 3
    I went through the same issue with my oil. All the dealership wanted to do about it was the oil consumption test...did it and it showed nothing was wrong. I took my car to an independent oil changing shop who said there was no oil on the dip stick. However, when then drained the oil...it was almost full. They couldn't explain why the oil wasn't on the dip stick.
    I checked the oil at the dealer and everyday for 1000 miles, looking for some reason to take it back to the dealer, but it's still full.
  • foster904foster904 Posts: 9
    Called the dealership and they replaced the pistons, still had the same chatter. Called them again and spoke with the Service VP. He said they pressed the issue with GM and GM said to replace the engine. A brand new engine was installed and now sounds great. Although it was a pain in the rear to have to keep taking my car in to the shop, the dealership was always professional and friendly. If anyone cares, the dealership is Nimnect Chevrolet in Jacksonville Fl.

The only recommendation I can make to anyone else that is having issues, if your dealership won't help you, find one that will.
  • jlg44jlg44 Posts: 12
    I checked my dip stick after I got home and let the car sit for an hour. The oil level was pass the full mark. So I called back and told tech . I have noticed that you have to let the car set for awhile to get a true reading on the oil level.
  • bradley2bradley2 Posts: 11
    Sorry to say but after attempting to be a patriot & GM/Chevy man with strong multi-generational family ties to the company this Chevy Cruze recall for stupid under-carriage fire hazard is the last straw that broke this camel's back. In addition to that my Cruze (2011 LT) had bad hood paint job/crease out the gate, lousy fit & finish and additional recalls/service advisories including a failed thermostat, etc. and a wicked rattle from driver side pillar among other things. Also my 2010 Chev Equinox had multiple problems with less than 50k miles including a passenger rear window motor failure, a lumbar driver seat automatic motor failure, rattles galore, speakers that hum and moan, and more. That on top of prior Malibu gasket failures and yada yada yada have given me no choice. Bye bye GM, have a nice life. PS the dealers were great but the design, engineeering and manufacturing flaws doom them too, I fear and no marketing gimics can overcome that. I am a patriot and a loyalist, but I am not stupid. Watch for my next posting about a FORD or heaven forbid, an import. PS my 2006 KIA Spectra 5 now "owned" by my daughter with 150k+ miles and no coin invested other than brakes, tires, oil changes and timing belt runs like a top. Go figure.
  • klm56klm56 Posts: 15
    Today, after over a year of trying to figure out where our oil is going, the dealership has found the problem.....the cylinder walls are zebra striped and thus allowing oil to escape into the cylinders to burn. We are now to get a brand new motor. We were told there is a service bulletin out that discusses the problem and the solution being to replace the motor. Good luck all you other people having oil consumption problems!
  • klm56klm56 Posts: 15
    Today, after over a year of trying to figure out where our oil is going, the dealership has found the problem.....the cylinder walls are zebra striped and thus allowing oil to escape into the cylinders to burn. We are now to get a brand new motor. We were told there is a service bulletin out that discusses the problem and the solution being to replace the motor. Good luck all you other people having oil consumption problems!
    How much oil were you losing; during how many miles? Could you find out what the service bulletin is?
  • I am really interested in this service bulletin as well. I am having the same issues, I have to put a quart of oil in the car every week. Dealer said nothing is wrong.

Also have timing chain issues (they are replacing the timing chain for the 2nd time today and the guide pins for it in the engine).

I have been having issues for 100,000km and would just like my new(ish) car to be fine!
  • I have this same issue, worse when my oil is low (which is quite often because my oil disappears into thin air according to the dealership).
  • I have these same problems, dealer says it is normal. I am embarrassed too. I don't know what to do to get it fixed anymore. My extended warranty runs out soon and I am afraid to drive it after that.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 294
    Does ANYONE have an Equinox that doesn't have a problem? We turned in a 2009 Traverse because my wife who is a realtor was tired of spending $400 a month for gas. We ordered a 2013 Equinox LT2 with navigation and the 4 cylinder. Has anyone had problems with the '12 4 cylinder?

We like Chevrolets - have a 2011 Malibu (the new ones are too small) and a '97 Silverado. We probably won't keep the Equinox more than 50k miles but it is disconcerting to hear all of the complaints. I'll dump the Malibu as soon as I can get a certified 2013 Cadillac XTS.
  • Please, I too, would like a service bulletin number. Customer Service and the dealership are giving us a hard time. I have to travel across country and can't imaging putting in a litre every 1500km's.

Thank you!

P.S - do I go to the BBB? Does anyone know who I could speak to higher up the chain?
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Posts: 86
    We have 2012 Equinox LT2 NO PROBLEMS SO FAR
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Posts: 34
    FYI, I have a 2011 Equinox and Terrain, both 4 cylinder and fwd, the only mechanical problems have been with the Terrain and it was the engine noise on startup with the diesel sound from the cam actuators. This was taken care of at 6600 miles and I now have 29000 trouble free miles so far. The equinox is driven fairly infrequently and has 19000 miles in 2 years time.

Draw your own conclusions but look objectively at what you buy, I am tired of all of the negativity on these cars and can only tell you what I have expierenced so far. I would buy another one if needed without question.

Hope this helps. :)