Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• I followed GM's warranty and service plan to the letter and I still had issues. There was a problem with a batch of fuel pumps that caused most (if not all) of the major issues that I had and that most people on this forum have/had (it affected the engine, crank shaft, timing chain, etc.). These are major components and it took GM years to figure out what was causing them. I feel much safer now that I have traded it in for something else, unfortunately GM has lost me as a customer after having 3 new vehicles that didn't last me 5 years each (and I have family history with GM - my grandfather and father were both employees for life). It was a difficult decision to make, but for the safety of my family and myself it was something that I felt I had to do. Please don't say that those of us that had issues were not following the maintenance plan, as I did. I have all the proof, and it still wasn't fixed after driving the vehicle for over 220,000km.
  • The problems may be greater than indicated by this forum.
    Based on owners experiences, Consumer Reports has provided the following info over the past few months.
    *Based on reports from owners of 10 and 11 Equinox, CR gives it the worst possible rating for major engine problems. (4cyl)
    *In its category, Equinox is dead last based on the answers to the question--"Would you buy this vehicle again?"
    *CR has placed the 10 & 11 Nox on its used car "Do Not Buy List."

My own experience with a 2010 has been pretty good, but I would never consider keeping it beyond the 5 year mark. Reading the tea leaves says the odds are against a long happy life beyond that point.
  • rski43rski43 Posts: 13
    jpatrick2 -- excellent RE to nox123. As Joe Friday used to say..... just the facts ma'm! I dumped my '10 nox at just over 20k miles when it started the high oil consumption & the tail pipe was loaded w/ black soot all the time. A sniff of the oil on the dip stick was also tell-tale. Never did a dealer oil consumption test, I read up & found out from the git-go what the problem was. Traded for a V-6 2012 that I ordered when they had a $1500 rebate for '12 'nox w/ V6. Gas mileage is not the same of course, but plenty piece of mind & you don't have to wind the pizz out of the engine when you have to 'go". Car only does 12k miles a yr, so gas mileage cost differential I'll take. -R
  • nox123nox123 Posts: 76
    Excuse me; I'm over-qualified having owned Two of these midsize GM Trucks / Suv... I have also experienced all the same 2010 4cyl issues I have read on forum and never once did I have an issues getting dealer support; NOT ONE Warrantee issue and always offered a loaner. I have probably owned over 25 new and used cars in my 45 years of driving and never experienced the problems / issues I read that owners put online. The internet has made it way to easy for the average disgruntled or dissatisfied customer to trash talk and overreact to the world about their personal issues. I managed a rather large trucking firm and it was not unreasonable for trucks to log over 120.000 miles a year without any down time..its all about service and taking care of little mechanical issues before large ones happen. Again to answer your question regarding owners qualifing!! Had all the same issues and traded in 2010 4cyl Nox after 3.5 years of good service for a 2013 3.6V6 Terrain.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    edited December 2013
    If you aren't interested in reading about or trying to help owners with Equinox issues, perhaps you should find a discussion that doesn't have Problems in the title.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I'm extreamly interested and concerned that owners do not understand how significant and imperitive it is; to follow the manufactures service plans for getting warranty work done and also keep the Mfg warranty active. This is even of greater importance with the GM 4cyl issues we have read about.
    edited December 2013
    There's no requirement that you have to have your car serviced at an authorized dealer to maintain the warranty. (link)

Many people have their own mechanic they prefer to use and it's often cheaper to have work done at an independent shop. Some of us even like changing our own oil.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I agree; and this is probably one of the biggest mistakes an owner can make with their $30.000 plus investment! You can not beat or argue documented dealer service if you have a major drive line issues under the Mfg warranty. You know and I know without proper documentation your going to be in for a battle if you need major work? Its just this simple!
    edited January 5
    A relationship with a dealer can help (link) but if you normally keep documentation on your auto work, it's not that hard to prove you or your indy mechanic changed the oil.

And while we're quibbling, cars aren't an investment - they cost a bunch to own and operate. :)

Agreed..One of the worst investments you will probably ever make!
  • For the last 35 years I have purchased only GM vehicles and have received excellent service. Then I bought the 2010 Equinox. The fuel pump and timing chain have both been replaced twice. Now I am sitting here waiting for a call-back from the dealer because the Equinox is once again stalling in traffic. I am afraid to drive at night, when it's hot, when it's cold, or out of town, because I never know when the Equinox is going to break down. I will never buy another GM product.
  • I have had my 2010 Equinox since July 2012. Two days after purchasing it the check engine light came on...they replaced the O2 censor. The light came back on the next day - they replaced my fuel pump. I had no other issues until I hit 60k miles. After 60k I noticed a loud rattle. The dealership I called suggested I check my oil - BONE DRY! I change my oil religiously every 3k miles. I began the GM oil consumption test and my timing chains were replaced. I knew that was a bandaid. I am still doing the test. At 1000 miles I was half a quart low and today at 1920 miles from my last oil change I was a quart and a half low. The service members said they will "open a ticket" and call me next week after adding oil. Needless to say if this is not resolved in a timely fashion properly GM will be facing a breach of warranty lawsuit. They know this car is an issue.
  • I'm doing the oil consumption test too. Originally the dealer said so much oil is being consumed because the leaking fuel pump was leaking into the oil. Of course, then GM sent out the notice saying a quart of oil for every 2000 miles was normal. I've had old junkers that didn't burn that much oil. But, as you say, they are just applying a bandaid. As long as we keep bringing our cars back over and over for the same issue, the dealers are happy.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    edited December 2013
    Kindly be advised that once the "leaking fuel pump" mixes "raw fuel" with the engine oil and destroys the timing chain assembly, due to lack of lubrication, major engine damage has already occurred to the cylinder walls, piston rings and main bearings. ------- (You get your oil pressure from the clearance between the crankshaft and the main bearing.) ----- Once they are worn, the oil is pouring through them and splashing upon the cylinder walls. ----- The oil control rings and the compression rings have already been damaged, and the "blow by" has been increased in the engine. ----- The PCV system is pulling wet oil fumes out of the engine block, and feeding them into the intake. That is where you are burning the oil. ---- I cannot believe that GM is not aware of this issue. ---- Simply put, the engines need to be replaced! ---- The question is, will GM take that action? --- Once these vehicles hit the Used Car Market, and they are "out of warranty" they are not longer the problem of GM! ----- This is why I always put a "top of the line manufacturer's extended warranty" for the "maximum number of years," and the "maximum mileage" on my vehicles! ----- If the owner's had a 6 year / 100,000 mile warranty GM would have to fix the vehicle, (as long as the owner has proper service records!) {Another reason to have the vehicle serviced at the dealer.} ---- All my records for both vehicles are at the dealer. ---- This is a VERY SAD situation for the consumer, but on the other side of the issue, it does bring to light the dealings of vehicle manufacturers. ----- Remember everyone smiles at you in the showroom when you put your signature on the purchase contract, but where are those people when you have a major problem with the new vehicle. They all suddenly disappear! ----- Most of my family purchases GM vehicles. At our holiday dinner, I shared the postings of the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox with them, and I encouraged them to go on this site to read the comments for themselves. Most of my family purchases the big SUV GM vehicles. ----- I asked them, how would they feel if they put down a large amount of money and they were treated like the Equinox owners are being treated. ----- They were not very happy. ---------- Dwayne
  • I bought the Equinox new in January 2010 and have been complaining to GM dealers about the Equinox stalling and consuming a lot of oil since March of 2012. At 36,500 miles, I took the car back to the dealer where I purchased it and was originally told that it looked like a warranty problem but they couldn't get to it that day, so they sent me home in a rental car. The next day they called and said it wasn't covered under warranty, that it was my fault for letting the oil get low and I was stuck with a bill for induction service and car rental. In July of 2012, at 41,000 miles, when the Equinox started idling rough and stalling again, because the purchase dealer had reneged on paying for the rental car, I took it to a different dealer who replaced the fuel pump and timing chain. In January 2013 at 48,000 miles when it started idling rough and was still consuming a lot of oil, I took it back to the second dealer and they again replaced the fuel pump and balance chain shaft and tensioners and started the oil consumption test. Two weeks later, the car started bucking and jerking and I immediately drove to the dealer where it promply let off a foul odor and died on the spot. At that time they cleaned the throttle body and since then I have been bringing the car back every 2000 miles for the oil consumption test. There seems to be a general lack of knowledge at the GM dealers with how to do the oil consumption test. Every time I get a different advisor, they say the previous advisor did the test wrong. In July of 2013 when I took the car in for an oil change at a more convenient dealer, I asked if they could switch the oil consumption test to their dealership. When I went back in October after 2000 miles, I was again told they had all been doing the oil test incorrectly and it was started all over. In 2013, GM sent a recall to reprogram the oil life monitor. I was also told that the fact that mine hadn't been reprogrammed yet probably was the cause of a lot of my problems. I don't really understand how the monitor effects oil consumption, I thought it was the other way, and that the monitor just reports oil consumption, but I'm not the expert, so I just smiled and took it back to be reprogrammed. This car has me so crazy that I'm afraid every time something rattles. The day it was being reprogrammed I asked them to check out a rattle that seemed to be coming from the front end. It took two mechanics and two test drives but they finally figuired out it was a loose sun visor. That cost me $65 for them to snap it into the bracket. So today, the Equinox started stalling again and I tried to get in touch with the dealer service department. I waited on the line for 20 minutes and left messages, and the only ones who contacted me back were in the Sales Department. So now I'm stuck without a car at least until Monday and who knows when they'll get me in for servicing. My experiences in the past have been that between ordering parts, getting scheduled, and getting the work completed, 3 weeks will go by. In July of 2013, GM finally admitted there is a problem with the 2010 Equinox, and extended the warranty on the balance chain and fuel pump to 10 years or 120,000 miles, but they didn't say anything in their letter about replacing the engine. My guess is that they will just keep replacing balance chains and fuel pumps until this extended warranty runs out. GM has lost a loyal customer.
    edited December 2013
    I enjoyed reading your posting! ----- It is very well written and very objective. ----- YES, you have been treated VERY poorly by both GM, and their dealer network. ----- YES, the quality of the Chevrolet Equinox is VERY poor. ----- YES, you are now stuck with a vehicle that is NOT dependable, and has very little "value" as a trade in on another vehicle. ---- But here is the all important question for every Equinox Owner and / or a person thinking about purchasing a GM vehicle. ----- Do you think that GM and their dealer network really cares about customer satisfaction and customer service? ----- Only you can answer this question. --- I have my own opinion, and I will act on that opinion when it comes time to replace my 2010 LTZ 2.4 Malibu. ----- If I am spending 35,000+ dollars I have many nameplates to choose from on the automotive market. ---- YES, I like my GM vehicle, and YES I have a great dealer, but I could have easily purchased a "GM lemon," and have been treated in a "similar fashion," even though I have an extended warranty, and I have all my service performed at the selling dealer. ---- Customer satisfaction is more than filling out a survey. ----- Customer Satisfaction is standing behind the product, in a professional manner, when there is a problem! ------Customer Satisfaction is making things right! ------ All the best! ------ Dwayne
  • No, I don't think GM or it's Dealers really care about customer satisfaction or customer service, but it's only good business sense to worry about bad publicity. I have no way of knowing how many bad 2010 Equinoxes are out there, but I do know that both times I was at the Dealer for the leaking fuel pump/timing chain problem, there were other people there with the same complaints. The first time I was there, the man ahead of me said it was his third time for having the fuel pump replaced, and he'd had the same experience of meeting other Equinox owners in the service area with the leaking fuel pump problems each time he brought his car in. I know it's only anecdotal, but to encounter that many people with the same problem, when you aren't actively seeking them out, tells me that there are a lot of bad Equinoxes out there. Personally, I think GM has another 1960 Corvair on their hands.
  • cjgacjga Posts: 17
    I HAVE PURCHASED 5 BRAND NEW GM IN MY LIFETIME...............AND THEN I RAN INTO THIS 2010 EQUINOX(FIRST CHEVY) FOR ME. IT IS NOT JUST THE ROLL OF DICE THAT PEOPLE ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUES WITH THE EQUINOX 2010. ALL OF MY FREON ESCAPED A FEW MONTHS AGO. THE DEALER PUT MORE FREON AND RECHARGED THE SYSTEM. I WAS TOLD THAT THERE WERE NO LEAKS. everything was shared with GM...3 MONTHS LATER ....OH YOU HAVE A LEAK AROUND THE CONDENSOR...MY COST $520.00.....ONLY 64K MILES. GM, DEALER AND YOUR EQUINOX 2010.....GUESS WHO IS GOING TO LOSE!
    It has been said that "happy / satisfied customers" will tell 20 people about their experience, ----- but "unhappy customers" will tell 200 people about their experience. ----- Dwayne
  • knoxlemonknoxlemon Posts: 1

I also have a 2010 Equinox that has been nothing but trouble. We bought it brand new in June 2010. We have changed the oil every 3,000-5,000 miles and never followed the oil life dummy guide. Here is a list of all the work and replacement parts: 6-10-11 28,265 miles...transmission shifting hard and automatically accelerating... Reprogram both PCM TCM. Strange pinging sound...found tensioner for balance shaft and water pump to have internal damage causing chain slap. Replace the tensioner and balance shaft. 8-29-11 knocking noise coming from enigine...replace links from excessive play in stabilizer bar and verify stabilizer rings in correct place per PIT5090A. Noises continued and got worse. In September we received a recall letter that stated chrome layer on chain may come apart damaged fuel pump plunger causing gasoline to enter crank shaft. 9-30-13 64,664 miles. Upon inspection pieces of timing chain guides fell into oil pan. Chain loose and broken guides.replaced timing chain and balance chain. Also replaced fuel pump because it was leaking into crank case. Parts replaced: chain,tensioner, gasket,pump, pipe, seal, gasket kit, bolt (2), filter, oil, chain, washer, tensioner,guide. Recall12312 oil life monitor update reprogrammed ECM per recall. 12-31-13 Equinox goes back in the shop for burning oil and engine sounds like diesel engine. Jolting, shaking, and stalling repeatedly in traffic. Still in shop. They say they are replacing pistons and piston rings now. I hate this automobile.. Worst decision we ever made. Oh yes I forgot they have no idea why its burning oil even after we showed them the zebra strips letter we found online. GM knows exactly what's going on and refuse to make this right. Telling everyone I know how awful this has been.

• duetsuduetsu Posts: 36

I have a 2010 Equinox that has many of the same issues and have posted here repeatedly about them. I have to say that my dealer has been truly professional and worked with me to get the repairs made and covered under the powertrain warranty. I had a new engine put in my car in 2013 at about 62k miles and since then everything has been good to go. I still (and always will) take my car to the dealer for an oil change at the 3k mark. The last two times in the service manager has told me he is watching my axle seal because it is wet, but not leaking. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

• mimom1mimom1 Posts: 1

I am so discouraged. We started having problems with our 2010 Equinox almost immediately. In the first year we had problems with the car running rough, which we were repeatedly told was normal for the car, and many small mechanical failures: The rear passenger window motor, the back hatch motor, the seatbelt mechanism, and eventually (just after the warranty expired) the windshield wiper motor. The ipod display menu has been looked at numerous times, fixed once, and still does not work properly most of the time. We continued to bring it in as the car continued to run more and more roughly and were were told it was within normal specs for the car to burn up to a quart of oil every 2000 miles and that we should just keep adding oil to it as needed. I still don't understand why any car that needs that much more-than-normal oil doesn't have any kind of oil gauge or even a sensor light that will tell you it's needed before the check engine light comes on. The timing belt and fuel pump were replaced in 2011. The engine noise continued. After a lengthy and difficult oil consumption test, the engine was replaced in 2013. At the same time we were charged $660 for a new catalytic converter that they told us was not warranteed. We were hoping this would solve the problems once and for all.

Sadly, we were mistaken.

Since then It has been in for repair on the air conditioning, a new transfer case, a faulty rear back-up sensor, and finally last week the rear main seal blew out in the middle of the bitter-cold weather, stranding us by the side of the road. Even with all these problems and an engine that only has 15,000 miles on it, we were told that the rear main seal was our problem since the car has 103,000 miles on it.

Have I mentioned that we've had the dealer do all the scheduled maintenance?

I am astounded that there has not been a class-action suit against GM for this car. My husband comes from a long line of proud GM employees and we have never owned any other brand of car, but I am so frustrated I will probably never buy another one. And I don't feel that GM really wants my business, either. I am looking for a way to sell this car. It does have a lot of nearly-new major components.

• berriberri Posts: 4,159

Honestly, it sounds like this is the time to unload it. If you can't trust the vehicle, why continue driving it in fear of what will break next? I've rented several of these and found them comfortable cars. But I have read so many problems with them on various blogs that I don't think I'd risk buying one. I'd trade it on a new Honda CRV. The price isn't much different than the Equinox, and maybe even a tad lower, while the resale will probably be higher. The Honda will ride a bit stiffer and be a tad noisier on the highway, but you shouldn't have near the ownership maintenance and repair problems. You'll also likely find the CRV has more cargo room believe it or not. It just seems packaged and designed more efficiently. BTW, I believe the Equinox is built in Canada, while the CRV is mostly manufactured in Ohio, so there's nothing un-American about doing this swap. My aunt, who never bought a non D3 vehicle, just did this and all she does is rave about the CRV and wonder aloud why she didn't do this sooner in life. Save yourself the grief and aggravation.

• Has anyone else experienced blowing the rear main seal in extreme cold weather on their 2010 Chevrolet Equinox? We've had this happen three times now. This last time was nine days to the time previous. We were told that the PCV system froze and over pressurized the engine which caused the rear main seal to blow. It's been five days now that my Equinox has been at the dealer. GM has now decided to try to find out why the PCV system is freezing up. We have also had the fuel pump and oil consumption issues with this Equinox. Our Equinox has 109,000 miles on it. The first major was at 49,000 and the repairs haven't stopped. Any insight on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

• Yes, we have but only once and that was in December and that was the last straw after a long line of expensive and major breakages. We tried to work with GM and they wouldn't have much to do with us. Since then we have dumped that car and purchased a new non-GM car(note: first non-GM car in my family since at least the 1930s - not a decision made lightly).

• i bought a 2010 eqx with 2 miles. had to have the engine rebuilt at 77000 miles. The engine goes in November of 2013 and had to put a new engine in and had to pay for it because the powertrain expired. i put a new engine in and the dealership said that this gives me a 100000 powertrain warranty and now 3 months later had a plate break in the transmission and have to replace it. what a piece of junk.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068

Hi dspen1973,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your vehicle and that you are not satisfied. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance by taking a further look into your concerns. We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com. We're looking forward to your reply.

Kristen A. Chevrolet Customer Care

• yea make a better product. The best part of all is that now the transmission is not covered under warranty and the estimate went from 2300 to 3500 in 4 hours because the transmission is "special" I'm really tired of the run around with the vehicle and i wont buy another GM again.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068

Hi despen,

We understand your frustration. Again, we apologize for your dissatisfaction.

Kristen A. GM Customer Care

• you have no idea of the level of frustration i am having. like i said im tired of the run a round and i will not buy another. this car has been in and out of the shop the entire time ive own it. if you want to know everything feel free to contact me i will gladly let you know everything that had to be done.