Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• wit2wit2 Posts: 11
    Read message # 248 by me wit2. It expresses my opinion on a 6cyc verses a 4cyc
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Yes I am familiar wit h the Quad 4. 16 valve head if i recall. Requires revs to perform. Not a great design for heavy loads at low revs. A bit raspy of a motor too.

Yes, in hilly terrain can be a problem with constant downshifting if an engine is a little under torqued for hills and heavy loads. Final drive ratios are geared very tall so the fuel mileage claims can be met under the controlled (non-aggressive) testing. Maintaining a set speed near the 'cruise' rpm at 50 or 55 or 60 mph in top gear and in hil;ly or even grades, does tend to downshift.....especially if car loaded with people or A/C on etc. So there is when a 6 might shine. So it becomes a judgement call. You want instant ondemand torque for your cruise, or do u mind paying what is likely a premium in fuel usage at the end of the year. If you tow or have a car load of occupants often, or are an impatient by nature sort of personality (no slight intended) likely better with the 6.
  • kerry11kerry11 Posts: 12
    edited March 2010
    I have the 2006 Nox and I bought it new has about 45k and I have every problem you can think of. Steering had the column replaced, had the power steering replaced twice, ABS brakes replaced and think they are going out again, Over flow tank had to be replaced,struts, ignition has been replaced but still does not work. Visors have been replaced three times, the molding on the inside windshield on the drivers side the long thick wide one fell in my face while driving. Driver window has been re wired twice, now it is scraping from inside the door. My leather seats look horrible the use very low quality leather. My brakes (pads) have been done four times in one month..... Now I think the transmission is going out, and the steering is scaring me.. I will keep you posted I have contacted GM and they don't' have anything good to say.
  • runoxrunox Posts: 153
    A little side note about these hybrids. Now that the insurance companies have realized the electronics are so sensitive in crashes, they are upping the premiums for collision about 20% on them to cover the increased cost of repair.
  • brueggiebrueggie Posts: 46
    '10 LTZ 4cyl

I know there is a recall on the HVAC module, just hadn't gotten notification yet. Sunday morning before church, we stopped at the local Wal-Mart which is about a 5 min drive from the house. All controls, heated seats etc. were working correctly on the way. Got back in after Wal-Mart and nothing. No radio controls, no HVAC controls and no heated seats. Tried everything we could think of besides disconnecting the battery and still nothing. Still had radio controls on the steering wheel but I can only imagine if we had the heat/defrost on full blast and it was stuck. It is at the dealer now, taking care of a couple other issues as well. Couple hard shifts and rough idleing. It has 5500 miles on it now so I would say it is broken in. Wiper blade has a 1/4 inch area on the drivers side that isn't wiping correctly and there is a rattle coming from the rear lift gate when driving over bumps or a rough road.
    On a side note, made my case that the vehicle wasn't safe to drive without the HVAC controls in case the windows fogged up and the dealer didn't even hesitate offering a rental! Don't know how many times I had to wait for a shuttle or another ride after having to leave vehicles for repair in the past that didn't justify a rental.
    Dealer said a day or two to get the module in and replaced.
  • carguy05carguy05 Posts: 30
    Hi, I have a 2010 Nox (7500 miles) and when I brought my car in for a minor adjustment on the brake lights about 3 weeks ago,the dealer told me about the HVAC module recall and ordered the part, I never received any notification from GM. I made an appointment for the following week when the part came in and waited for the repair.which took about 2 hours. After the module is installed, the computer has to be re-programed. I never had any problem with the controlls like you did, but understand that this is exactly why they are recalling it. Good Luck. Make sure they have the module in stock before you leave your car.
  • photojemphotojem Posts: 5
    This was exactly the problem that I had back in November, on my then 2 month old LS, which brought me to this forum!..No one had a response for me! I was just happy that it corrected it self over a weekend where it was warm enough in the northeast to not need the heater or defroster, and I was able to avoid the dealer. Thankfully, it hasn't had a repeat episode either over the winter.
    -Jim
    Picked the 'Nox up last night, everything is smooth as the day we brought it home. Still waiting for the wiper to come in, had to special order it. Don't know if it is the arm being replaced or the blade. There were 2 recalls completed, one for the HVAC and the other for an evaporator hose that I hadn't heard about. Washed and vacuumed just in time for the spring storm this afternoon!
  • bluesgalbluesgal Posts: 3
    I hadn't heard of any recall. I have a 2010 ls purchased in November...should I take it to dealership? What exactly is wrong with the hvac?
    My understanding is that the defroster could stop working which would be a safety concern if you were driving in bad weather and needed it. I would call the dealer and inquire. They may have to order the part.
  • jlg44jlg44 Posts: 12
    I have a 2010 Equinox 4 cycl and haven't had any problems. I think half these compliants are BS .Probably some Ford or Toyato owner making this up. Too many dumb problems and questions. Who as ever heard of adjusting tail lights? What do you expect to hear when you drive over a rough road?
    We hadn't had any problems with the 'Nox either until the whole center clusted stopped working. I knew there was a recall but didn't get notification from the dealer we bought from and didn't worry about it since nothing was wrong.

For the record, I traded in my Camry for a Fusion last month but am not making up our problem with the 'Nox ;)
    The reason I said that was I just had my wifes Nox in for a free oild change and I asked him if he checked to make sure there was no re-calls. His answer was yes he checked because they get paid for those also. He said there was none. Maybe yours was made before mine. Do you know the re-call # or any re-call #'s and I will check it out with the dealer.
    I will have to get the paper work out of the 'Nox tonight and see if it is referenced. We had a build date late October '09 and we picked it up 2nd week in Nov. I can't recall when the recall for the HVAC was announced but I want to say early December.
  • n2icn2ic Posts: 2
    How did they resolve your "center cluster stopped working" problem ?

My 2010 Equinox continues to have a major issue. It is described on another forum. Google "2010 equinox problem n2ic" and you'll find it.
    Hi, My taillights on my 2010 nox would only light up when the brake pedal was depressed all the way down. I brought it to my local dealer and he said it was a software adjustment on the computer. A 15 min. fix and it is fine now.The brake lights should go on as soon as you hit the brake pedal.
    Let me know because that is when mine was build and we also picked ours up the second week Nov.
    Sorry for the delay but here is the verbage for the 2 recalls:

09298 09298-F/CMVSS NON-COMPLAINCE-HEATING AND WINDSHIELD DEFROST INOP-REPLACE COMPUTER MODULE
    CC: 0090
    FC: 9090
    COMPLETED RECALL 09298 V2181 .3 REPLACED THE RADIO CONTROL

09333-SERVICE UPDATE FOR INVENTORY AND CUSTOMER VEHICLES-EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS DIAGNOSTICS
    CC: 0090
    FC: 9090
    PART# 20941961 HOSE
    RECALL V2195 0.50 INSTALL EVAPHOSE ASSEMBLYS

We also requested that the transmission be reprogrammed and here are the notes on that:

K5364 TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMMING WITH SPS

Stopped by this afternoon for the wiper blade swap, the service writer did it in 10 min and we were on our way.
    Thanks for the info:
  • central3central3 Posts: 1
    My 2010 Equinox that I purchased on Black Friday, has been in the shop since last Thursday, I just learned about an hour ago that the dealership will be replacing the motor. I only have 5,800 miles on my new car and they are already replacing the motor. My car kept loosing oil and the dealership couldn't see where the oil was going, they put oil in the car along with a dye so that they could see where the oil was going, and it was just going away. Has anyone else had this problem with their new Equinox? this is the second time that I have had to have a rental car since I purchased this car, the first time the check engine light came on and they said that it was something to do with the emission. They replaced a part at that time, now they are replacing the motor.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,066
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Did the dealership say that the oil is going to the motor? Do you currently have a case with GM? If so, can I please have your case number? What is the VIN on the vehicle? This is the only concern you currently have on the vehicle correct? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • bjones6bjones6 Posts: 28
    For what it's worth, my 2010 Equinox had a two related center cluster failures this winter. At temps below zero it once totally failed--no HVAC control, no radio, no data in the display. Twice at temps between 0 and 10 deg., the radio volume would not adjust. When you turned the knob cw, the numbers in the display did not change, or even went down. Weird. I took it in, and they found a communication to console failure code set, but they did not know what to do. They said there was no service bulletin. Since it only happened in really cold temps and then only intermittantly, the dealer could not reproduce the fault. So they punted. I have had no other problems, so I decided not to push it for now. But if there is a known recall on this symptom (contrary to what I was told), then maybe I should head back to the dealer. I really don't want to have to deal with this problem in the grip of another Iowa winter.
  • kerry11kerry11 Posts: 12
    I would just like to tell you this is not BS I have an 06 and it has been in the shop more than I have driven it..... this car has so many issues it is crazy, I bought a new car because I needed a good running safe car if I would have know what I know now I would have never bought this car... I just hope you don't have the problems that a lot of us have had. I am now in the middle of doing the lemon law as I have had major things go wrong with my car and can not take the chance when my extended warranty runs out to have the car break down.....
    Hi, This is an easy fix. Definitely contact the dealer. There is a recall on installing a new HVAC module in the dash and re-programing the computer. Call the dealer first and make sure he has the part. I did not know about the recall until I had my car in for service and the dealer told me about it. If the dealer has no info, let me know and I will read you the code off my receipt.
  • khh2khh2 Posts: 4
    I have just 5k miles on our new '10 6 cyl LTZ nox. I have an appointment for 3 recalls and also the seat heaters quit working this week. Anyone else have problems with the seats?
  • bjones6bjones6 Posts: 28
    You're right. I'll call Monday. If you have the recall number handy, it would help me make my case immediately and persuasively. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • dmazzonedmazzone Posts: 20
    I have a new 4 cy Equinox, while I enjoy the vehicle, it has developed a very annoying high pitch whistling nose coming from the front end. It starts after the car warms up and goes away when you go under 20 MPH. The vehicle only has 3500 miles on it and they took it for a test drive with me and they heard it clear as day, but they don't seem to know what it is, but they did say it wasn't right. I got a message on my screen one day that said "AC is off, engine running hot" and they reprogrammed the vehicle, but I didn't go 10 miles down the road and it started right up again. I will be bringing it back and will continue till it is fixed. As anyone out there hearing this noise? One mechanic mention it could be a faulty fuel injection pump. Thanks
  • colt_herocolt_hero Posts: 104
    I'd be looking for something that rotates causing the noise - like any of the pulleys on the serpentine belt or the wheels themselves. Bad bearings can make whistling noises, and the noise can dissipate with lower revolutions.

Reading these posts about the 2010 Equinox is starting to make me sad. Maybe these problems are isolated in nature, but it doesn't sound too good. Supports my argument that GM has no business getting near sticker prices for these things. Yes, they LOOK better than the previous models, and they HAVE gotten good reviews from Consumer Reports, but it's just WAY TOO EARLY to say that "new" GM has conquered the manufacturing problems that plagued "old" GM.

I mean - if engines are being replaced ... that's pretty bad ...
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    edited April 2010
    Is it the 4 or 6 cyl that are being replaced? Is it for the same reason each time, and if so, what is the reason?

I have a friend with a 2010 Buick Enclave. Got it after nearing the end of his wty period on his 06 Mercedes Benz GL350. I'm saying GL, whatever it is, it is the SUV. Quite luxurious and a mighty fine ride when no problems but was an EXTREMELY problematic car. He bought it 2.5 years old and kept it 1.5 years. Depreciation still cost him around 10k/yr I think he said, PLUS all the inconvenience of being at the dealer each time. And he often only got their little something 200 as a loaner, which didn't even physically fit him since he is 6'6". Engine was re and re'd TWICE, once for a small relatively inexpensive sensor on the crankshaft that couldn't be replaced without the removal of the engine. And another time for something else, and also had to have the all wheel drive transfer case replaced. The car only had about 55k miles on it when he dumped it. It had never been off roaded or mudded to our knowledge (no tell tale signs of mud in small places underneath) and the drivetrain was considered idiot-proof as to being able to harm itself with inappropriate use.

Anyway, my point here is that he went back to GM which he has had as the majority of all of his vehicles over the 40 years I've known him. He has always seemed to pick the model that gave him very little trouble. This time it's the Enclave and so far, in 9 months of OS, he has had not so much as a nick of anything go wrong. Well, he did have one complaint that is a design ailment that plagues most cars of that shape right on down to Matrix sized, and that is an unbearable whump-whooping sound the air pressure inside the car makes if at any speed over about 35 mph when one of the rear windows is rolled down part way or even all the way down.

Otherwise not speck in the ointment.

But I have to agree with you, before I would purchase a Nox now, I think I would invest in a rental if possible or stop and ask every Nox owner I see at the mall and briefly ask them if they have had any troubles. It would help rule out some potential fear-mongering I feel might be behind some of these posts. One area of grave concern to me with this car (and maybe many more models?) is the degree of electronic ICU management. It seems that no matter what problem you may have, they have to hook a computer to interact with the car so it can speak and/or program stuff back into it. That is only as good as the people who supply the parts and software and who initially programmed things into the software. There will be so much potential for glitches from new and on down the road well after wty, it boggles one's mind. It gives whole new meaning to being married for life to the dealer........Maybe that was a deliberate design.. ?
  • dmazzonedmazzone Posts: 20
    Thank you for your response, they make sense. But, would the pully and belts apply if the noise gets progressively worse the longer you drive, because thats what happens. When the car warms up and driven alot it starts squealing or whistling and lasts longer has the car gets driven alot. Seriously, the best time to drive my car is when it is from a morning start to about 20 miles out. Any other suggestions will be helpful as I am going back to the dealer tomorrow. The noise just about goes away when you go under 18-20 mph. Thanks again.