Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• llamitiellamitie Posts: 13
    100% agreed. I just traded mine in. Took a $2k hit just to get rid of it before my extended warranty was up. Bought a VW Routan which I love btw. And my payments are less! Anyway - Ive been very vocal and have been tortured by my equinox enough that I would still be interested in joining a lawsuit. Please let me/us know how we can help. I called my chevy service guy to tell him the news that we were breaking up. He was sad but told me I did the right thing too and that the VW is a great car!!!! Too bad he cant say that about his own vehicles.
  • dougstammdougstamm Posts: 2
    I'm in the midst of an engine replacement! Timing chains needed adjusting 9 months ago. 3 weeks ago I'm driving down the highway and the the car slows and won't go above 55. No noise, no odor, no dashboard warning lights, nothing. The car just won't go past 55. I knew something was up so I drive it directly to the dealer. Next day . . they call and tell me it's timing chains again only this time they did interior engine damage and the engine needs to be replaced! I'm three weeks into a car rental! Add my name to the list!!!
  • Count me in!!!!!!
  • I have had my 2010 Chevy Equinox for almost one year now. I should have known it was bad news the day I bought it! On the drive home from the dealership (3 hours from home) the check engine light came on. After three trips to my local dealership and a new O2 sensor I thought my troubles were over. One year and 10,000 miles later its nothing but problems. I just hit 60,000 miles and I started noticing a loud idle/knocking. I change my oil religiously every 3000 miles and I pay extra for the 5000 mile oil. At exactly 3000 miles we checked my oil and it was nearly BONE DRY!! We changed it and added 5 quarts. 1800 miles later (yesterday) we checked it and its more than a quart low. I'm not sure where I am losing it because its not showing a leak when it's in the driveway. I called Chevy and they said I have to bring it in for an oil consumption test, but after reading all these reviews I am not looking forward to this and wish I could get out of this car. We hate it so much we've considered voluntarily defaulting just to be hassle free but that would be silly.
  • esperinosesperinos Posts: 18
    It is absolutely incredible the number of complaints about the 2010 Equinox, and all describing exactly the same thing I went through - 2 major engine service in a month, never was right. Traded it in a little over a year ago (with a loss) for a Jeep Grand Cherokee - 46000 miles so far, and no problems at all. I have said before, there is some fundamental design flaw with that particular engine. It is not coincidence. Does anyone know if the 2011, 2012 and later models are plagued with this? If not, it means they recognized the problem and fixed it, but left all of us who own the 2010 model holding the bag. I still have one - my wife drives it about town, only 30000 miles and 3 years old, but I have been changing the oil frequently (IGNORING the "oil life" indicator, which is a joke). Once I pay this one off, I will be looking to trade it in also. There are a lot of engines that need to be TOTALLY replaced - that's the problem - too costly, and it would be too embarrassing to GM and the government which still owns a good chunk of it. A class action suit may be our only weapon. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • elli2elli2 Posts: 14
    In my last post I stated I was contacted by a lawyer about a class action. Turns out it is not a class action, but, because my powertrain is still under warranty, I can file a breach of warranty lawsuit (sort of like a Lemon Law suit for cars that are beyond the "age limit"). So I am doing that. Every state has different laws, so try to find a "Lemon Law" lawyer in your own state and see if you have any recourse! Or see this site (Chevy will probably find a way to delete my post because of this): www.lemonlaw.com. Good luck, everyone!
  • richmarichma Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    75000 k later, 2 timing chains,all coils,high pressure fuel something,belt tensioner,abs sensors,wheel bearing,control module,big time oil consumption for pass 2 years and GM says normal.
    Wondered sometimes if would ever get me home with stalling and dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree. Hard start and stall on Thursday June 6,2013 and just manage to get to my dealership, sounded like machine gun fire on acceleration all the way down.
    Like every 1 else waiting for a new engine that should be in this Wednesday under warranty.
    Better hurry up boys and girls at this rate the 2.4 engine will be on back order with all the replacements.lol
    Don't understand why GM charges full rates for oil changes since I'm always missing 2 quarts.lol
    Nice try on lowering the % on the software for the oil life monitor system.
    Still won't fix the defect on the ENGINES.
    Dip stick was bone dry on Thursday even with software update(recall)
  • Amen!!!! I purchased my Equinox new in 2010. At 47,000 miles it needed a new drive train (same rough engine and near stalling everyone else has talked about) and air conditioner condenser (the latter of which was beginning to make odd sounds). At 62,000 miles I got a new engine because the second drive train had already gone bad, even with changing the oil at the dealership every 3000 miles. Fortunately, the drive train was under warranty. At 68,000 miles the actuator in the air conditioning unit began going bad, making snapping sounds when the temperature was changed. That is $130 part I am told. We will change it when it no longer works. At 69,000 miles the windshield wiper transmission (didn't even know there was a transmission for the windshield wipers) blew as my husband and I drove through torrential rain on an major interstate highway. We had to cross three lanes of traffic with no wipers to make it to the shoulder. We were lucky were weren't hit by another car or 18-wheeler as there was so much traffic on the road that day. This is the first American car I have owned since 1988. It likely will be the last. GM should not be permitted to manufacture such poor quality using our money!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,983
    That also works for people who buy cars out of state and thus may not qualify for their own state's lemon law.

Most people seem to want someone else to initiate a class action and hope they wind up with something more than a coupon in three or four years. Better to jump in and do your own thing imho.
  • tlc2canntlc2cann Posts: 5
    I have a question, I'm still getting the run around at my dealer like everyone else has talked about. They keep replacing stuff under warranty to make it run right which I know in the end it's going to need a new motor, but my question is since the 2010 equinox's fuel injectors are not covered in the warranty , can I take it to any ship to get them replaced? Or will that void my power train warranty? The dealer keeps telling me and the gm care center that my injectors need replaced but they want to charge me 1200 dollars to do it, which is an ungodly amount because I can buy the injectors for 200 dollars and have them put in somewhere else a lot cheaper. I know this dealership is just trying to make money off of me but if I can get the injectors replaced cheaper somewhere else I know in just a matter of time that check engine light will be back on for something else. But they won't do the oil consumption test till those injectors are replaced because they keep saying that's why it uses 5 qts of oil in 1800 miles is because of injectors but I know that's a load of crap.
  • lsb1955lsb1955 Posts: 17
    My dealer replaced the engine and the fuel injectors at the same time.
  • lsb1955lsb1955 Posts: 17
    It was covered under the power train warranty.
  • slapheadslaphead Posts: 2
    So I have a '10 Nox LTZ. 71K miles. I'm currently having two issues with it.
    First,
    As with others my navigation system won't keep current time, and also keeps changing the "track" option from track up (my preferred setting) to track north, AKA annoying setting. The head unit was replaced year and half ago, it lost it's mind and did whatever it wanted. didn't have any issues until day light savings time change then it all started and is progressively getting worse. Did some research and was told that it needed software update, asked dealer about it and they looked at me like I was crazy. Has anybody had this same issue and were able to get it fixed? It's out of warranty so costs would be appreciated.
    Second,
    When the car is at half tank of gas the engine sputters when I come to a stop at a red light. Hasn't fully stalled (knock on wood). It does occasionaly "diesel" when shut off, but hasn't done that for a bit. My check engine light has come on a few times over the past year and the onstar diagnostic says it's the fuel system, a few knocks of the gas cap seams to clear the fault code and car runs fine. I've read most of the posts about this problem, I'm not burning oil, I change it about every 4k, I use mobil 1, 5w20. Oil always looks like normal used oil. Anybody have any ideas what to do? I don't really trust the dealers in the area since they screwed my once on an A/C problem.
    As for the people with the A/C problem, we found that a small rock or road debris had punched a small hole in the condenser coil located in front of the radiator and it was leaking freon. There is nothing to act as a deflector in the lower bumper air vent, ended up making my own screen to deflect anything kicked up. Dealer and told me it was an expansion valve to the tune of $900 to replace which worked for about 2 months but ultimately didn't fix it. Turned out that all the leaking freon caused the compressor to destroy itself and living in Florida an A/C is needed. So anyway no auto part stores carry the compressor, was able to find and acquire the AC Delco part on RockAuto.com along with a new dryer, $350 +shipping. After flushing out the lines and replacing the compressor, took it to a local A/C guy for servicing, he found the leak and we replaced the condenser and viola the A/C works great.
    Thanks for reading my issues and if anybody has any insight would be great!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    Hello Slaphead,

I'm sorry to see that you're experiencing this issue with your vehicle. May I be of assistance to you in finding a resolution for these concerns? If you would send your full name, address, current mileage, VIN number and involved dealer to socialmedia@gm.com, I would be glad to research some options that may be available to you. I look forward to your response and working with you.

Marlea Wilson
    GM Customer Service
  • missmo1951missmo1951 Posts: 11
    I am frustrated with the entire "Chevy Experience". My Equinox was purchased new in 2011. It ran well until 2013 at about 40,000 car began to stall and metal shavings were found in the oil. It has stalled and died two more times. When it stalls, it suddenly sputters and dies. It has happened during a right turn, on the freeway, and while waiting in a construction zone, with a semi-truck behind me. Quite frightening to say the least. I had it towed to the dealer where I bought the car, which happens to be about 50-60 miles away. Our local Chevrolet dealer went to Honda.
    Their solution is to "put a monitor" on the car to see if it happens again. I guess I have morphed into a crash test dummy, to see if they can "replicate" the behavior. The first incident gave a code, the subsequent two have not, although they mimicked the first stall.
    I am a Grandmother, and my days of wanting to "live on the edge" are over. I do not want to try and control a car when it dies, press an incident button and try not to kill anyone or myself and grandchildren at the same time. My service manager is wonderful, but his hands are tied. I have dealt with someone from Texas (I am in California) who was "looking into what can be done". Today I received a call from a young lady who was calling for the representative in Texas. She talked very fast, sounded like she was reciting from a script, and more or less told me I must be the crash test dummy to diagnose what is wrong with their product.
    I think a lawyer is my next call.
  • I am sorry you have experienced issues with your Equinox. I don't work for Chevrolet, but have been a mechanic for more than 30 years. Despite what the dealers tell you, Chevrolet is fully aware of these issues but unlike the old Chevrolet, the new Chevrolet seems to not care about an owner, once you are off their sales lot.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind.
    Is your Equinox a four cylinder or six cylinder?
    Do you remember the code id the system created?
    How do you know the oil had metal shavings in it?

Does your engine make a rattling sound occasionally, when starting the engine?

There are several internally published GM service bulletins that detail various manufacturing issues with the four cylinder engines, especially those built in 2010...(even though your vehicle is 2011, its engine may well have been built in 2010. These bulletins detail oil system contamination from casting sand and metal break offs inside the engine, predominantly due to poor quality control during the build process. There are also bulletins detailing "zebra striping" of the cylinder walls, causing excessive engine oil consumption. There are numerous posts in this blog that detail the "oil consumption test" process of the dealers, which most often results in a new engine being fitted to the vehicle. If the dealer doesn't know about these service bulletins, they are either incompetent or plainly lying to you. Either way, find another dealer that will honor your request for assistance. The service manager, wonderful as he is, does not have his hands tied.

I for one, am disgusted with the approach of GM and Chevrolet...we need to start listing the dealers that wont assist, including the names of the Service Manager, Sales Manager and the Dealership Manager.

It is time for everyone to stop expecting Chevrolet and GM to honor their warranties, and for us to start using our social media presence to shame these people into action.

Anyone wanting more information on how to start this process, drop me a line here...now if Edmunds blocks me from this forum for starting this movement, I will begin a denial of free speech action against the forum.

It's time for action...crying about poor service to an audience that has no teeth will never result in a satisfactory outcome. :cry:
    It is a 2010,Purchased in 2010 my error, brand new.. The mechanic who changes the oil noticed the metal shavings in the oil. I don't remember the code, but I took it to the original dealer and they replaced timing chain and a couple of other things. My slips are in the car in the packet with the manual. It is a four cylinder. I have read every possible forum and thrown all I have found to the serv. manager and rep from Chevy. They will not do anything until I drive it around and replicate the incidents, at my and other motorists risk.
    Nothing came up to contact you ...
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,983
    Emails may get you personal help but not help others. Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum.

For complaining (or bragging on) your dealer, you can use our Dealer Ratings & Reviews link.

Thanks.
  • ally2002ally2002 Posts: 3
    I wonder if we all filed a compliant and stated our experience of GM on www.safercar.gov if we would be heard and something would be done. How many complaints is "enough"?!?!