Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Water Leaks

167891012»

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,583

Please visit our Dealer Reviews page and leave a service review. Sounds like a good crew there.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• danlindadanlinda Posts: 1

This would have been the perfect vehicle for us, if it didn't leak like a sieve. I own a 2008 GMC Acadia and have been trying to get the leaks repaired for over a year and a half with multiple dealer repairs and out of pocket expenses around $500 thus far. It's going in again next week with the promise that I can pay them even more money to not have them fix it. Thankfully my cell phone hasn't been ruined taking videos of the problems. I'll definitely be lodging a complaint against the dealership and GM with the attorney general and Better Business Bureau. I have no doubt this water intrusion is jeopardizing my safety. There is a constant stream of water that comes out of my side column airbags whenever it's raining and I turn a corner. Both driver's side and passenger side floorboards get soaked when it rains, it sounds like I have at least two gallons of water sloshing around above my head, and it smells like rotting carpet. The radio occasionally shorts out. The driver's window now will occasionally not roll up for a couple of minutes after starting the car. And the 'best' one yet, I have shut my car off, removed the key and my Acadia continued to run for several minutes. What scares me the most though is the thought of some weird electrical issue causing the ABS brakes to engage on one side while driving down the highway.

• kculbertsonkculbertson Posts: 1

This is ridiculous, I have a 2008 GMC Acadia and of course it too leaks. I figured it was just a drain hole issue. I am going to check it out now, but this really seems like a necessary recall issue from GMC, but it seems like that is not going to happen if all of these complaints are taking place and no solution has been found.

• kdietzkdietz Posts: 1
    edited August 1

Don't get me wrong, I love my Acadia but GM has to fix this problem. Like all the rest, my sunroof leaks drains down onto both sides of the floor. I have taken my Acadia to a dealership to, infact, have them diagnose the exact drain leak problem that GM recalled but for some reason my VIN # is not included in the recall. I was told by the dealership that the parts used for the Drain are what is faulty. WRONG!!! GM its your design that is faulty and its on all of the vehicles in those years not just some VIN's. Why not fix all the problems? Now ontop of my water leak, the electrical system that the water leaks on is wigging out on me. Just yesterday, I found out that battery compartment was totally under water and in turn shorted out my entire vehicle. FIX this GM!!! I can not afford to take my car to the dealership to continually have this leak and electrical system fixed everytime it rains. its your design flaw that is causing this whole problem...and I swear that if this problem causes me to get in a wreck and hurts or kills anyone in my family, You will have more of a problem on your hands then just fixing my car.

v/r

concerned citizen

• kannegirl said:

We finally got our issue resolved on our leaky Acadia. It took me writing to my Senator who finally agreed to take it to the Attorney General on my behalf. I asked GM for a note stating that I was responsible for the care of the tubes and that the cleaning of them should be treated like an oil change (cleaned every three months), but that this was not documented anywhere nor was it ever sent to us in a letter as an appendage to the manual...they suddenly changed their tune and forked out the money for all of the repairs. Evidently they didn't want me to bring attention to the problem. Be sure that you complain to the NHTSA. Not that anything is being done with that information - GM sat on the ignition issue and airbag issue for years while some died. Evidently battery acid exploding on passengers because of a corrosion from the leaky sunroof isn't a big deal. Evidently your car still running without the key in it isn't a safety issue either. GM and the government know about these issues and nobody does anything to fix them. Some people should be fired. Because it IS a big deal when you have water pouring on to electronics on a regular basis - it ruins everything that is run by electricity or it doesn't respond the way it should.

What was done to fix your issues. If you have answered this I am sorry as I have searched this forum and have been unable to locate it.

Thanks
  • Oh, my gosh! :s I had no idea there were so many problems with the Acadia's. I just spent almost three hours reading, sympathetic, and somewhat angry. I have had major water leaks in my new 2007 Acadia sun/moon roof. Engine light off & on, all the re-calls, but all were fixed, oil warning's with loud noise, and On Star saying all is fine, except....low tire pressure (always) This being said.....I love my Acadia, and I think it is mostly due because of where, and whom I bought it from. We are considered a small city. Our dealer here is Growney Motors. I'm luckier then most of who I have read about, and the people that work on your Acadia. The mechanic's here are polite, and they listen. I trust them. Trust with your dealership makes all the difference in the world. Without a doubt, I will stay with them as long as possible. The inside personnel folks are wonderful. The salesman was great. I know, I will begin to have more problems with my Acadia, due to it's age, but I just can't let go of it. Not yet. :( My thought was to look for another 2007 Acadia, because I have had so much luck with this one, compared to what I have read of what other people have gone through. We put many miles on my car, and never had a problem until the 1st water leak when I had it for only 3 years. My real problems didn't start until I have had the car 5+ years. I figure, compared to most....I bought a great car. :)

Thank you for your story, but can you elaborate on what was done to fix the leaking? I am about to spend extra money on having the Sunroof pulled and resealed. Is this something that was done? We have had our windsheild resealed. Where else would the water be coming from.
  • lmacvicarlmacvicar Posts: 1
    edited October 1
    YOUR CAR IS A LEMON - you have rights
    -
    If you are back to the dealer three or more times, you could be entitled to free legal representation under State Lemon Laws or Federal Warranty Laws. You could be looking at a repurchase, a new vehicle or a partial refund and continued ownership of the Acadia. Remember, under the Lemon Law and Federal Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, legal representation is completely free , so you have nothing to lose except your (wet) lemon. [non-permissible content removed]
  • jaimbeckjaimbeck Posts: 1
    I'm a new owner of a used 2008 GMC Acadia. It has roughly 68,000 miles but was in great condition when we bought it just 2 1/2 months ago. Everything was fine with it for awhile until we got a hard rain. We live in the upper peninsula of Michigan and we have hard rains and harsh winters. After the rain I got into my acadia started it, went to subway, turned off the car with keys in hand my car was still running. It stopped after about a minute. I then went home and it did the same thing. I looked it up online and people were saying the same thing happened to them but they had a leak which resulted in water flooding the passenger side mat. Well, I went out and looked to see if I had water and I did. I let it sit the rest of the night went to start in the morning and my keys got stuck in ignition and battery was dead. We jumped it and all problems seemed to be fixed....until a couple days ago. It's been raining here for about a week straight and unfortunately water is still leaking even worse than before on passenger side mat. Everything was shutting off fine this time. Went to leave my daughters birthday party yesterday and battery was dead. Went to jump it and nothing. Still wouldn't start. So now I have a 20,000 vehicle I just got a few months ago sitting in a motel parking lot undriveable and no warranty. I already feel like trading this in. I don't feel that it is a reliable vehicle by any means. If water is getting into the electrical that could cause major damage that we don't have money for. Thanks for a no good car GM.
  • I'm having all of the same leak problems with my gmc acadia.   I'm very disgusted with the answers that I've been given about it being our/my own fault... I will NEVER buy another gm vehicle in my life because they do not stand behind an OBVIOUS WIDESPREAD PROBLEM.  and I will steer family and friends away from these crooks for as long as I'm alive.
167891012»