Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Water Leaks

Comments

• lilyylilyy Posts: 1
    We got our car in 2009 and it was my gift from my husband for having a baby boy,I really wanted that car but, just a week after we got it we had a few rainy days and the problems started. For the first year we had it we felt it was more at the dealer place that us driving it. I tried to contact customer service and I didn't get any where with that. Finally they figured it out. The problems and the roof was fixed but now we are dealing with the electrical problems (all the beeping noise that the car does, like not putting you seat belt on or when you turn your left or right signal, was going through the stereo and it was so loud that you could not listen without closing your ears), our stereo is disconnected and it has to be replaced. When we took the stereo out of the car the panel that holds the stereo is rusted and I am sure it's not all of the problem.I am really disappointed and I hope I can get an answer from someone on this situation.
  • rj…I just got the Acadia back from the dealer. Took 4 days to repair. They claim they fixed it (only time will tell). They said it was just what they thought it was because this wasn't the first one they've had to repair. I guess it had something to do with not enough sealant around the rear skylight. Should anything happen again in terms of interior leaks, I'll be sure to post it here again.
    As for gas mileage, that seems to be the worst part of the Acadia. We're getting about 15 mpg. 12 seems very low.
  • Help! I am having the same water leak problems. Bought mine used about 6 months ago or so and about a month after I got it it started leaking above the driver side door soaking the headliner. Last week I took it to a dealer and they said the drain tubes had come off on the front sunroof but that they fixed it. Well while at Church today it started raining so the first thing I did when I got out to the car was look to see if it was leaking. Well everything was dry and I was so happy, but that didn't last long. By the time I got back to the house it was leaking in the same sopt, but actually worse that it was orginally. To top it off, I looked in the rear view mirrror and there was water dripping out of the back up sensor light and the interior dome light above the third row which it has never leaked here before so apparaently all the dealship did was make things worse. I am so mad! Spent alot of money on this vehicle and it leaks like crazy. I guess I am taking it back to the dealership tomorrow because its leaking so much that I am afraid to drive it. In this forum, these GM Customer Service reps are asking folks to send them there info. Why have they not told us what the actual problem is? I mean come on, I have read thousands of complaints with the same exact issue. What needs to happen to get this fixed???? Hey GM Customer Service Rep, what do I need to do? I am taking mine back to the dealership tomorrow. Can you get a Customer Assistance case going for me?
  • Lillyy,

Did you ever open any Service Requests with Customer Service? Please email those to us, and we'll look into this further to see if there's anything we can assist with.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Cbrown2008,

We are more than willing to get a Customer Assistance case set up for you. Please email us some more details, including your name and username, the last 8 digits of your VIN, current mileage on your vehicle, the name of your involved dealership, and the details of the visit(s) you have made to address this concern.

Thank you for your patience and willingness to work with us,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Looking forward to hearing how the repair holds up.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Guy,good morning
    I noticed your duty station is Rhode Island. I assume your here at Newport with me. If so. Look me up in global E-mail. So we can discuss the Acadia issues. I just purchased in November a 2011 SLT2. Richard.j.Glenn
  • My 2011 just returned from the dealer, who found nothing wrong with the vehicle. I was told by the service department that I will have to accept the poor gas mileage of 12 mpg and that the black exhaust is normal.
    As I have mention in a previous post on Edmunds. The dealer can't fix something that has an inherent design flaw. This is demonstrated by the fact that no error codes show up when the service technician does a scan. As far as the technician is concerned, everything is operating satisfactorily. Until GM recognizes and task there engineering group to research the issue nothing will be done. Accept customer service collecting data and archiving said data. This is truly a sad issue, when a customer is paying upwards of $50,000 dollars for a vehicle that does not performed per the advertize specification (gas mileage). This is truly fraudulent and deceitful advertizing to the consumer. I expect GM to be very slow if ever to acknowledge and rectify the issue. It will cost too much money. Apparently GM would rather gamble that this issue will not affect future sales of Acadia's. Had I read this Edmunds blog, I would have never purchase the vehicle. This issue is, you can probably guess is for poor gas milage. have been able to get the news media attention on the multiple Acadia issues?
  • Guy, good morning and to all who are having water leaks. During the repair process for the leaking moonroofs is the headliner being replaced? if the headliner is not replaced, expect serious mold and mildew issues shortly. This will have a great effect on people with any type of respiratory and or allergy issues.
  • dg79dg79 Posts: 5
    I am on active duty in the US Army. While attending my officer advance course at Ft Lee Virginia, I purchased a new 2007 GMC Acadia VIN# 1GKER33737J151915 from a GMC dealership nearby. After the course, I served a year at Ft Bragg, NC. While at Ft Bragg, my vehicle was serviced by a GMC service center in Fayetteville twice for recalls, one recall was to fix a defect in the sun roof that was causing water leaks. I had the vehicle serviced in 09 while the vehicle was still under warranty just before shipping this vehicle to South Korea for a two year military assignment. During the last service, I identified some electrical issues. Soon after my arrival in Korea, more electrical issues developed along with mystery water leaks that were saturating the carpet and causing mold to grow inside the vehicle. Turns out there is no certified GM service center in all of South Korea so I had to live with the leaks and electrical problems. Finally after about a year, I had a minor accident where my tire hit a guard rail at a low rate of speed. All the air bags deployed but there was no other damage to the vehicle. At this point I quit using the vehicle for the second year because it had no air bags, the seat belts didn’t work, the AC and heater didn’t work, the left blinker didn’t work, the engine would not shut off with the key, the battery box behind the passenger seat kept flooding with water and I had to disconnect a battery cable every time I parked the car to keep the battery from dying. I ended up buying a old clunker to get around my final year. I am now stationed at Ft Carson, Colorado and have shipped the vehicle back to the USA. I am now trying to resolve all these issues with a local GM service center in Colorado Springs and am being told that the vehicle is basically totaled but since it is now out of warranty, I am stuck. I now owe $12,000 on a really good looking vehicle that I cannot use. I am now in contact with GM customer service, we will see if they are willing to do the right thing.
  • Thank you for your service to our country, dg79. You, and the sacrifices you have made, are very appreciated!

Using your VIN, I looked into your service request and see that your agent is scheduled to call your dealership today (just as an update on the progress of your request).

Happy Holidays, and welcome home,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Thank you Sarah. My conversation with customer service so far has been plesant, I will be waiting for GMC to make things right for me....
    :lemon: My case with GMC is now closed without a favorable outcome. The customer service representative was very courteous and seemed very sympathetic but was not able to help. The dealership, Mike Shaw Buick GMC at first blamed the problem on a leaky replacement windshield (replaced because the original cracked for no apparent reason.) The company that installed the windshield had it tested and the test revealed that the replacement windshield does not leak. The dealership denies that there is any other leaks and alluded that the vehicle must have been abused. GMC of course is siding with the dealership. The customer service rep did however mention that there may be a defect causing the leaks but to make that determination, I would have to pay to have the car thoroughly examined. Fact of the matter is the vehicle has not been involved in a flood, I have never driven it through flooded streets and I have never left the interior exposed to the elements. The most apparent indication that there are leaks is the fact that the battery box continually fills up with water. (O by the way there is a rubber or plastic drain tube that terminates into the battery box. I cannot think or any other purpose for that rubber tube except to drain water from somewhere into the battery box). Since the vehicle was recalled and worked on under warranty for a leaky sunroof, it is my opinion that either the recall remedy was flawed or the repair was faulty. Bottom line, both the dealership and GMC deny that there is any defect in the vehicle causing the leaks and resulting electrical problems so it’s out of their hands.

The good news for me is that my insurance company, USAA, has inspected and totaled the vehicle and will cover the vehicle under my comprehensive insurance minus deductable. Good news for GMC is that my insurance company will not bother to further investigate the defects.

Again it is my opinion that instead of doing the right thing by taking a proactive approach to determining the true nature of the problem, the dealership and GMC has again choosen the cheap expedient approach of denying there is a defect with the vehicle or warrenty repair and passing the remediation along to me and my insurance company. For this reason, I will never purchase another GMC product.
    :lemon:
    The next ugly development, Mike Shaw Buick-GMC in Colorado Sorings is now charging me for a very expensive repair they made after telling me that the vehicle is not economically repairable. :lemon:
  • I just thought I'd do an update, it's been awhile. I did notice that after the dealer worked on my acadia it no longer leaked for maybe a month. Then I saw a few drips coming from where the driverside airbag comes out of. All of the other places where water used to come out of quit and still hasn't leaked since. Anyway, I thought I'd wait until next oil change, as it is a pain to not have a vehicle while it is in being worked on. Friday 12/23/11 it went in for an oil change, right headlamp not working and the leak. The headlamp not working was due to bad connectors, and I am told the leak was due to drain being clogged up again. Last time there was no fee for working on leaks, this time it was $39.98. Is there a way for me to clean the drain tube if this happens again? Thanks, Sandra33
  • This morning I Googled "problems/complaints GMC Acadia" and was truly astounded by all the hits I received!

I bought a 2008 Acadia SLT brand new, right off the lot and started having problems with it immediately! On my way home from the dealership my car started make a horrible screaching sound that was coming from under the car/tire area. Being a girl and knowing nothing about cars, I tried to describe it to the dealership and basically they thought I was crazy as I could never recreate the sound in the drive around the block with the service tech. After 3 trips to the dealership, they still couldn't determine what was wrong. Within those 2 months, I also started having trouble with my airbags whereas the "check airbag" warning was constantly illuminated. I took my Acadia a 4th time for the airbags and still had a problem with the screaching sound under my car. When picking it up, I was told that the airbag sensor had come loose and was resaudered and that they finally located the problem with the screaching sound after driving my car for a given length of time...it had something to do with the plates inside the wheels heating up and causing them to scrape against something??? Since then, my car has been into the shop no less than 12 times for the airbag sensor (it amazes me how this thing keeps coming loose???).

My car now has 45,000 miles on it and low and behold, 2 months ago, the transmission when out while in route to school with a car full of my carpool kids. My car had to be towed to the dealership and was there for 3 weeks. I had the same problem, as everyone seems to have on here, with the reverse plate and some ball bearings also needed replaced.

Last week I received a recall notice (the first one I've ever received I might add) to fix the headlamp situation.

I am at my witts end with this car and yesterday was the straw that broke the camels back! As I was driving something kept catching my eye in the rear view mirror; sure enough I had water POURING from my rear dome light! It has been raining for over 24 hours and I have now had 5 towels in the back of my car because a bucket won't stay upright.

I am fed up and furious with all the problems I have had and it's apparent I am not alone!!!! I have heard talk about a class action lawsuit and would more than support one at this point. I can't believe our government, via OUR TAX dollars, bailed out GMC when they needed help, but they won't stand by their product and resolve what they know is the biggest LEMON that ever came off their assembly line.
  • We would like to establish a Service Request for you through Customer Service, if you like. Please send us an email with more information, including your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • We are having the exact same problems with our 2008 and now have electrical problems due to the water leaking in. I had to post after your comment on the GM service rep. I wonder if they are actually doing anything with that info or just trying to appear concerned!! Sooo frustrating. Good luck!! :lemon:
  • Good morning,
    I'm sorry you're having difficulties with your Acadia; we are available to look into this with you by getting a Service Request set up if you like. Please feel free to contact us via email with more information, including your name, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your current dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    GMC customer service did absolutely nothing for me. Because I have the best insurance company they pushed the problem off on them. My insurance company got screwed but did me right by totaling the vehicle and paying me top dollar value because of the low mileage and otherwise excellent condition. I am now a very happy new owner of a Hyundai Sonata. From what I have read in this and other forums, the fixes they offer for this problem are only last temporarily. I recommend that you do what you can to get the vehicle fixed then get rid of it as soon as possible. Best of Luck!