Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Tracker Maintenance and Repair

I just purchased the above mentioned vehicle and did a oil change. I added the correct amount of oil, 4 litres with filter and checked the dipstick and it only shows a little over half way to the full mark. I checked with Edmonston' Lemon-Aid book and it indicated this was a problem. Does anyone know if GM has a fix or will I just put a file mark on the dipstick where full should be??
Thanks in advance for your responces......Crosscutter

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Let's talk about them here!
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    my air conditioner doesnt work. ive read where this is common with trackers. my tracker is a 1999. i tried to refill the r-134a and it just popps the 25A fuse. i was wondering what is the part thats failing andwhat costs have you members ran into in fixing this problem. If its too pricy i might not get it fixed as the retail on this car is pretty low as it is..

chris
  • Anyone get this problem? My coworker cannot pass NY State inspection.
    Suppsedly it's a solenoid or wire.
  • Would anyone know a good lockable roof rack system for a 2001 Tracker. The feet of the Thule system I bought don't fit the sidebars.
  • cove314cove314 Posts: 1
    I got an error message of code 0400 egr flow
    I found this advise on another website
    http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb2005/techtips.cfm
    does this sound like a good place to start?
    wondering if any one else had a similar problem.
  • I have a 1998 Chevy Tracker with the Check Engine Light on and the P1410 fuel tank pressure code. The Gas cap seems to be ok.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bud
    i wanted to ask this question. is the V6 (2.5) engine known to make a ticking noise. i test drove a used 2003 ZR-2, and when it started it ticked real bad. the saleman said when it gets warm it stops. i said it needs to stop when i start the car not when it warms up. so the next day they call me and they claimed it was a lifter. and they wanted me to take it for another test ride. BUT before i started the tracker i popped the hood and felt the engine. it felt slightly warm. so who knows if it was fixed or just ran and not making that noise. then after i got back from the test ride i noticed the rear axle had a very slight leak at the bottom of the pumpkin. i touched the drip and it was rearend oil. i said BTW this needs resolved also. the tracker was a lease and has 36 or 38000 miles. I wanted you guys and gals to chime in with your thoughts on the noise and if you think it is worth having them fix the rearend to consider it as a replacement for my 1999 2door tracker.
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    I would probably walk away from this one. Based on the fact that the engine was warm when you came back they are trying to cover up the ticking sound. I have not had to do any work on my 2004 but with 26000 miles it does not tick. From what I know about OHC engines like this 2.5 there are no lifters because there are no push rods. According to the Grand Vitara posts pre 2006 and the XL-7 there were problems with the early years 2001 timing chain tensioners that without proper oil change intervals they would fail and the cost to repair ran up to $2500. This problem was resolved by 2003 so that may or may not be the ticking sound. The rear diff has two plugs one to drain and one to fill. Because you do not have to remove the cover and gasket it should not leak but maybe the drain plug is loose. It sounds like this leased vehicle was not maintained probably oil was not changed regularly so it sounds like a problem you don't want to buy.
    thank you for the reply!! the tracker i was talking about was a 2003 zr-2 for $12894. right up the street there is another ZR-2 for sale! its a 2004 they also want $12900 for it, but it has higher mileage than the 2003 model. i think the 2004 has 43000 miles. The 03 was bright red the 04 was silver. Both very clean. I think i should take a test ride in that 2004....
  • hi i am looking for the cross bars for my tracker it is a 2003 i have looked and i am stumped any help would be welcome.
    thanks,
    kathy
  • My 1998 Tracker won't start unless you jiggle the auto shift lever, then it starts right up..What do I need to do to adjust it.Thank You..God Bless..Kid
    someone posted about a heater core costing $700 for the dealer? i went to partamerica.com and found the part for $187.99 .
  • bbrenbbren Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Tracker base model that I bought new and I never had a spare tire cover (for the outside carrier). My friend told me I got ripped off because all the trackers have a cover standard. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    My 2004 LT came with a vinal cover that has a zipper and velcro to hold it around the tire. I have seen some model years with a plastic cover also.
    my 1999 2 door tracker came with a tire cover. but i have also seen a ton of trackers with NO cover at all. not sure if they took them off or they just didnt come with one. i bet though that tire cover costs more if you get it with the care vs if you buy one yourself. dealers usually love to charge bigtime for silly items like this..
  • I love this forum!!! I have a 93 Geo Tracker, It wouldn't pass a smog check, but a friend of mine helped it to eventualy. I was told by a mechanic that it needed a new computer systems ECM (I believe).....Is there a place besides the car itself that I can obtain the part number or serial number for the ECM? Dying to know.
  • how do you change the time on 2000 tracker?
  • cannot remember how to change the time on the radio. help!!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Radio knob missing? Can't set the clock? Glove compartment door stuck? Paint peeling? This is the place to discuss those problems and irritations that don't impact safety and operation of your Tracker.
  • I have a 2000 Tracker. I bought it used about a year ago. It had 63K on then. It has now passed 100000. This is an amazing vehicle. I have kept the maintance up on it and it has preformed very good. I used it for delivery. This was up and down some 8-10 percent grades. I had the alignment checked at 100000 and it is still perfect. I have had to replace the gasket and filter on the transmission. Other than that only regular maintence. I am very happy with the little rooster.
    Jesse
  • on mine I just hold the arrow button down until the numbers show up that I am looking for.
    Jesse
  • I'm having the same problem...Is it a starter motor issue? Did you find a solution hiskid?
  • Hi, I don't think it is an actual starter problem, rather it would seem to be an interlock adjustment issue. I have posted on a few forums and was waiting for an answer.. thanks for responding. May God Bless You..Kid
  • Kid, I have an automatic with 100K miles. I'm thinking of getting the transmission fluid levels checked and maybe transmission filter changed first, as my tracker feels a little loose (soft) when I put it in drive and doesn't want to lock in park - which is why it doesn't start sometimes. I have to thrust it into park and keep my hand on the shift lever while turning the motor off??
  • Hi Jesse, I have a 2000 also - Automatic 2.0L. 105K miles. My transmission is not locking in park properly and fails to start sometimes until it does eventualy lock. Gear shift changes are a bit soft. I'm thinking of transmission filter and fluid change will help...what do you think?
  • Definitely sounds like an adjustment issue..If you learn anything when you get it serviced let us know..God Bless..kim
  • I just had that done. I developed a leak. I noticed some spots of oil on the rear bumper, after a pretty hard run. I found out that is was the transmission pan gasket. I changed the filter and put in new fluid, changed the gasket, it was what I would call "crunchy". It fell apart when I tried to get it off.
    That should help yours to do this maintence. It helped mine. I did not realize how soft the shifts were until I changed all of this. Now its like new again. Hope it works for you also. Happy Trails
    Jesse
  • Kid & Kim,
    I have good news. Discovered that the nut associated with the transmission cable was loose and just needed adjusting. After a tranny flush, oil change and nut adjustment - my Tracker is running like new!!! Quick fix, easy on the wallet.
    Chevy Trev
  • Hey. I sorta thought you might get some answers after that type of service. Were you at a dealer or a quick change place? Did you ask them specifically to check the issue? Was the adj. down at the tranny or inside under the shifter console? If I may ask how much did all that set you back.
    Again,Thanks Trev..May God Bless You..Kim