Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Tracker Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cts304cts304 Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Chevy tracker, 4wd, 2.0 , 5 speed. I need to replace the clutch in it. I have never replaced one on this model. Is there anything special I should know or any special tool that I need?
  • I have 2000 Tracker. A fuse blew and it disabled the Blower motor for heat/AC, the DRL, the Rear Window Defrost and the dashboard lights. I found the fuse, replaced it and it worked for 1/2 day and the fuse blew again. Has anyone had a similar situation and what was the repair outcome?
  • cdl2cdl2 Posts: 15
    I've not had your problem, but may I suggest you unplug as much as you can. Then reconnect one by one to see which one blows the fuse. Seems I did read something about the daylite running light's having a problem.

If you find the problem please let us know.
  • I have a 98 tracker that shakes really bad sometimes, ill pull over put in park then take off slow to get going but no shakeing anymore it does it every so often ,anybody elce have this problem? I thought the wheels were falling off or something
  • woody72woody72 Posts: 73
    Have a '01 2.0L MT with about 165K. It had been dying at idle intermittently, very frustrating. Thought perhaps the throttle butterfly valve and throttle body needed cleaning, so did that to no avail. Took apart the IAC valve, cleaned what I could and made sure all the ports were clear, also to no avail. The remedy, a new IAC valve. Unfortunately, not readily available and expensive. Purchased it from a Suzuki dealer for $250. Easy to install.
  • I have a simular problem with our 2000 tracker, the blower motor quit working and the abs light stays on all the time, seems to be a problem with the dash lights also. I tried changing fuses and they worked for about 10 seconds and then stopped again. the strange thing is that none of the fuses appear to be blown. any help?
  • Did you ever figure out what the rubbing sound was?
  • No it still does it but not as much. The morning today was about 9 degrees and it did it for about 1 minute. Last week it got down in the single digits and did the same thing. Now it seems only in temps below 15 degrees.
  • Funny mine does the exact same thing.
  • I am having trouble right now with my heater and headlights staying on when the car is off, I have a car remote starter as well, but replaced it with a new one and not sure if this is the problem or something else is causing this to happen
  • Sounds like I have the same problem.

This has stumped more than a few mechanics already. I'm sure the solution is something simple, but nobody can find it.

I've got a 2001 Chevy Tracker (aka Vitara). 2.0L, automatic, A/C, power everything.

Occasionally the interior fan and running lights will stay on, even after I have shut off the vehicle and removed the key.

This only happens during extended periods of really wet weather. It is sporadic and not predictable. Often the interior fan and running lights will come on hours after I have parked the vehicle. The lights seem to be triggered by the night sensor on the dash, because they won't come on by themselves during the day. This results in a dead battery when I try to start the truck in the morning. I have resorted to disconnecting the battery when I park.

This is a problem I need to resolve because I would like to give the Tracker to my wife to drive our daughter around. I don't want to give them a vehicle that is likely to leave them stranded.

Any thoughts?

thx
  • dibble1dibble1 Posts: 3
    This is from an official GM Service manual:

99 - 04 Tracker 4WD Squeak Squeal Front Hub or CV Joint Area at Cold Temperatures - kw 1.6 2.0 2.5 axle cvjoint differential L34 LE8 LQ4 lubrication noise seal suspension #PIP3278 - (Dec 27, 2004)
    99 - 04 Tracker 4WD Squeak Squeal Front Hub or CV Joint Area at Cold Temperatures

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
    Squeal or squeak type noise from the front axle area during cold ambient temperatures. The noise disappears after a few miles of driving. The condition will occur in 2WD or 4WD. The noise can occur at the left or right front hub assembly area.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Operating characteristic. No repairs should be performed.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Models:
    (99 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD) and (00 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD) and (01 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD) and (02 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD) and (03 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD) and (04 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD )
  • sypher86sypher86 Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    i have a 2003 tracker and it has the exact same problem, was wondering if you ever figured out the problem...
    its def not a cruise control servo...lol
    trackers pretty much powerless, catylatic converter smells often, but there is exaust flow at end of tail pipe. ive ran a few cleaners only one that helped was marvel mystery oil.
    i have two codes for low voltage on bank 1, but light went off when i ran marvel, was only off for a day.
  • blacktracblacktrac Posts: 13
    edited March 2011
    Did anyone try and stop the vibration noise from their rusted catilitic converter cover? The bottom half of mine fell off last year but the top half rusted by 2 screws and it's making a loud vibration noise when I give it the gas. I heard if you take the top half off it will burn a hole in the floor. It's happening on both of my Trackers. Any suggestions?
  • I'm going to Replace the converter in a few days, will post update asap.
  • ajp5ajp5 Posts: 3
    Are you sure it's the cover? Drove mine into the mechanic's lot, he walked over and told me it needs a new one as the element has come loose internally. $400 later, new aft converter assembly, no noise. Needed it replaced anyway as flange was leaking exhaust and entering the passenger compartment through the HVAC. alan
  • ajp5ajp5 Posts: 3
    Me too. alan
  • blacktracblacktrac Posts: 13
    Yes it's the cover. Rusted on one end. I can move it a little up and down. I got some wire and wrapped it around it, but that won't hold for too long.
  • jmdkmprjmdkmpr Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the left front exterior door handle will fit as a replacement for the left rear exterior door handle? I need to replace both ext door handles on the left (driver's) side, but can only locate a replacement door handle for the front left side.

Also, can anyone provide instructions on how to replace the exterior door handles?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Jean
  • craylashcraylash Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 tracker and the power steering locked while I was driving. I had to have it towed to the dealership. I was told the joints and couplings in the steering column had frozen up and needed to be replaced. No parts available locally. I may take 7-10 days before the Tracker is fixed. The dealer told me that Trackers were notorious for steering problems. I'd like other Tracker owners input.