Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Tracker Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tripstertripster Posts: 10
    I have a 98 Tracker with 5 speed (cluster panel has Tech) and I need the clear cover for a dash cluster. Can anyone help, and point me to where I might find one?
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    you need a 8mm socket to remove the bolt that holds each coil to the spark plug. Unplug the wiring harness from the coil pack. Do one plug at a time that way you cant get the firing order messed up.. Its very easy, i did it on my 99 tracker twice. I have yet to do a sparkplug change on my 04 V-6 tracker. That should be expensive for me. If i was you i would install Good sparkplug. Either from bosch or NGK. I feel one of the best is NGK as they come OEM on many metric cars and motorcycles..

chris
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    Does anyone know of a website where i can purchase O.E.M. chevy tracker interior plastic parts. I have to broken door moldings. one drivers rear and one passenger front. It is the plastic that runs along the bottom of the inside of the door.(grey in color) They both have holes in them. the stealership wants $100 for the both of them!!
  • I use http://www.gmparts-direct.com/.

They are fairly pricy (i.e. $324 a piece for rear seat headrests) but they are genuine OEM Chevrolet parts.

Roger.
  • Where can I buy the left and right dash side vents for my 1998 Tracker? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • After moving the 4WD handle forward to 4HI, the 4WD light blinks but won't stay solid and the system doesn't engage. How can it not engage? Isn't the 4x4 system mechanically controlled by the lever? My Tracker is 2004 with 17,000. How do I fix it?
  • scotterscotter Posts: 14
    Your half correct. The 4 wheel drive is mechanically engaged with the lever, but that only engages the front drive shaft in the transfer case. The front differential is pneumatically engaged by what is nothing more than a small air compressor, which is mounted on the rear of the front bumper frame, passenger side. Your “air pump” is defective, and is not engaging the front differential, thus the reason for the blinking light.

In actuality it is a complex little air pump, with a pressure sensor/regulator, a check valve, a bypass valve, and a blow off valve, all controlled by a 5 cent printed circuit board, which is the most likely reason the unit failed. I have had to replace mine ( same symptoms as yours, blinking light) and I have 2 friends with a Tracker and Vitara who had to replace theirs, again same symptom as you.

The Chevy dealer price was a little over $400, and the Suzuki dealer was $200. As with all Tracker dealer only parts, its much less expensive to go to the Suzuki dealer.
  • Keith,

I'm about to go through my 2nd alternator replacement on my 2004 Tracker that's got a total of <21K miles on it.

Did you ever get to resolve your issue? Was there any wisdom you gained?

Luis
  • my 2003 tracker 4 wheel drive will not engage. The floor shift works fine but the light on the dash will not light up and the front axle will not engage. Is there a sensor or fuse of somekind I need to look for?
  • About the 4 wheel drive not engaging, the small air compressor starts running for about 10 secs after shifting into 4 wheel drive, but light still doesn't come on the dash.
  • I have a 1995 tracker, locking hubs and the 4 wheel drive will not engage. I was told by my mechanic the ball inside the right front hub is sticking. Is there a special way todeal with this or lube. Can I just use silicon?
  • I have a 1995 1.9 liter 5 speed with locking hubs. The hubs will not lock but the gear shift engages and the 4x4 still does not work. A mechanic told me the ball inside the hub was stcking. Is there a special lube or can I use silicon?
  • My friend has a 1998 Ford F-150 and he has trouble with his alternator. He has installed a new alternator and a new battery. The truck will start but will die in a few minutes. His daytime running lights are on and then they go out.
  • mmackmmack Posts: 1
    I just bought this for my teenage daughter and live in the great northeast. Last night she slid off the road and bumped a guard rail. Not much damage but I need to engage the 4 wheel drive and am unsure how to do this. I have manual hubs on the front wheels that are now locked and the car is in 2h right now. According to the owners manual, the lugs shouldn't be locked in 2h or it "could damage your front driveshart parts". Also, I do not have a transfer case shift lever (the ball is missing that shows how to put it in 4h or 4L. Can someone tell me step by step how to engage it into 4 wheel drive and then when there is not snow on the ground, how to put it back to 2h. I appreciate any advice I can get before we get more snow tomorrow night. Thanks.
  • As long as it's in 2H, you can leave the hubs locked with no problem, and no damage. If the hubs are locked: As the front wheels turn, they will turn the front axle, which turns the front differential, which turns the front drive shaft. But, to put power to the front wheels you need to shift from 2H to 4H to connect the engine to the driveshaft.

If it's in 2H (most rearward position), just push the transfer case lever towards the front of the vehicle one notch - that's 4H. To get to 4L, you move it from 4H to the left (through Neutral) then push forward again. You can shift it from 2H to 4H and back, if you are moving. You need to stop and put the gearshift in neutral to shift to 4L. Questions? email me at jeff.byer@shaw.af.mil
  • The hubs on my 1998 Tracker were making noise, so I had the OEM replaced with Warn Premium hubs. They were $100 each at Advance Auto. Very good manual hubs!
  • I have experienced the same as far as high priced parts from the Chevy dealer. My mechanic will find aftermarket parts, and has even bought a shift spring at the junk yard for me - saving about $350.
  • Your vehicle has a timing chain - not a belt.
  • I have a 98 tracker the check engin light come on every 100 mile say egr dig. egr is good .any tips
  • cdl2cdl2 Posts: 15
    Just bought my 2000 Tracker, 4dr, 4x4, auto, 78K miles. I've started my fluid changes, trans filter & fluid. Engine oil, synthetic, 10w-30. Got 80w-90 synthetic for the differentials, not changed yet. Looking for bigger tires, the ones on it now look original, 205 75r-15, & shot.. Two things I've read here are timing chain & crossmember. What else should I look for? Thanks