Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Vehicles for Tall and/or Large Drivers

1242526272830»

Comments

• bradwilletbradwillet Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    Another suggestion for the family types... in addition to the 2012 gti, we also have a 2011 Nissan Quest minivan. At 6'8, can drive 12hrs plus without much issue. Only thing of note is I think if your inseam is over 36" you may have an issue just because of the way the knee cutout is. But at a touch less than 36", I am perfectly fine. Seats are like la-z-boys. Much better than a Tahoe/suburban for me.

I had a 2002 Tahoe (same as suburban and avalanche for front passengers, interior legroom is unchanged through 2013 model year, can't speak to the new ones yet since I don't think they are even out yet). I was involved in an accident where I was spun around and did a rotating head-on into a concrete wall. Tahoe was totalled, and my knee was jacked up because it was so close to the dash (about 1 inch), even with the seat all the way back. Now I always pay a bit more attention to not only do I fit, but how would I fare in an accident. I know from experience unfortunately that the quest holds up well, and I don't see anything in the GTI that will destroy vital body parts in a crash..

The 2007 and 2009 Saturn Outlooks we had (exactly the same as Acadia/Traverse) were super comfortable, and as a general rule my wife and I liked them better for daily driving than the quest (a bit boat-ish), but reliability was less than stellar (being kind here) with both of them. Fool me twice... That being said, I am also very comfortable in the Terrain/Equinox, but poor gas mileage for the size, and I am still scared off of GM crossovers due to the outlooks.
  • Just get your seats moved back on the track! I had my Nissan Rogue seats moved back five inches. My family has been going to the same interior and seat fabric company in the Minneapolis area for 30 years. It cost $200 per seat. The company does a lot of similar work for tall sports stars. Many question whether insurance will be affected by the alteration, but handicapped people are getting car alterations all the time.
  • I had thought about that.. ive always been told if effects the air bag system and due to liability no one will do it any more.. was told it also voids the warranty on the car, and effects the insurability
  • The best tall cars have a large roofline height; vertical distance from the floor to where the window meets the roof. Sadly, manufacturers only provide the headroom measurement, which is dependent on seat height and that changes from one car to the next.
    You can find a list of car roofline height measurements by googling "roofline height"
    You can modify seats, but you can't raise the roof, so get a car with a high one!
  • I'm 6;7 and had an 03 Altima that was very comfortable. My Audi A6 though has been the most roomy sedan yet. I didn't even need to have the seat all the way back. needless to say, no one could still sit behind me though. lots of leg room and shoulder room for a sedan. Memory seat and steering wheel a perk too. makes it easier to get in and out of car without manually adjusting each time.
  • mkay3mkay3 Posts: 1
    Have anyone gave the Hyundai Elantra a try? I'm wondering if it's roomy. :)
  • Is there a vehicle that would be best for size 15 shoe. My husband is 6'5" tall, 280 # and has not found a vehicle that has sufficient foot room, and sometimes hits accelerator instead of brake. Help!__

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,199

well... hate to be the one to say it, but sounds more like user error. I'm the same height as your husband, sporting size 14s, and while I understand the plight of having insufficient foot room, it is more of a problem of preventing me from heel-toe shifting than driving normally. I even owned an Alfa Spider for 10 years. I have, on occassion, caught the side of my foot on the accelerator, but I've never ever missed the brake pedal entirely.

Having said all that, he may be more comfortable in something that has very wide footwells and well-spaced pedals (and only 2 pedals), such as a larger SUV or minivan. I certainly don't have any issue with foot room in my wife's Town & Country.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• tallguy_25tallguy_25 Posts: 6
    edited January 20

I recently let my wife start driving my very roomy Tiguan a few months ago, which meant I had to start driving her '05 Ford Focus ZX3. I'm 6'9" with about a 36" inseam; my torso is long but legs are too. More than 20 minutes in the focus is painful... Luckily, my work commute is right at 20 minutes.

So, I'm in the market again looking for a solution. I'm seriously considering making some extended rails for the focus driver seat giving me an additional 3" of leg room. That will only make the headroom worse though since I'll have to sit up more vertically in order to reach the steering wheel. The other solution of course is to find a new vehicle.

I went looking yesterday and found two unexpectedly roomy cars: 2013 Maxima and a 2006 BMW 325i.

One plus to driving the focus is that it has taught me to drive a manual shift car, which I now love... I definitely want my next car to have a manual transmission. I have good luck with VW cars. I think I'll try the GTI, Golf, and Passat next.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,528

I've found the GTI/Golf (without sunroof) quite roomy, as well as the Honda Fit and the Scion Xb. I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam so I need LOTS of headroom.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,525
    edited January 20

@tallguy--you a big guy! It's those long legs that are often the dealbreaker. I have 34" inseam and on my Mini Cooper I can adjust the seat TOO far back to drive safely, so probably there's room for you leg-wise, and a nice 6 speed manual transmission. But being 6-9" I can't predict headroom. I agree with texases, though, sunroofs may not be an option for you, as you'll lose at least 1/2" headroom---and you're going to need as much of that as you can find. Honda Fit is a nice little car if you can "fit". :) CAVEAT: I'm talking about the 2014 Fit--the earlier models are nice enough but noisy and choppy for the long distance. I hear the 2014 has corrected much of that--but haven't driven one. Amazing room for its size, though.

• I took my Tiguan in for oil change and tire rotation today and I thought I'd try on a few vehicles why at the dealership. Accord, Passat, Golf, and GTI are a no go. I was really hopeful on the GTI (it's a killer sweet ride), but it was just to tight. There's so many factors that go into a comfortable ride though. The angle of your legs is a huge deciding factor for me. All of these cars made me feel like I was riding a go-cart.

However, I did fit in a Beetle! :) It was a very roomy and comfortable ride. I even test drove a manual model... I have a feeling I've found my next ride.

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,129

It's been a sleeper car for the "wide bodied" crowd for years now. The new New Beetles lost a lot of visibility, if not interior room, so glad to hear that you taller folks still fit.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,525

It's the Man Bug!

• suydamsuydam Posts: 930

My sons aren't nearly as tall as you -- 6'3" -- but they could fit in my old Maxima with ease. They really liked it. Isn't the Altima pretty much the same size now?

• Sadly, no... the altima definitely has much less room. I sat in both a new Maxima and a new altima. My knees where rubbing against the dash in the altima. In the maxima, my knees were a good 3" from hitting the dash.

• oakwiltoakwilt Posts: 12

I recently wound up in a 2013 Dodge Journey crossover SUV as a rental vehicle for a couple of weeks. I was surprised and impressed by the head and leg room for the driver. I'm 6'6" and had room to spare. The Journey is kind of a so-so vehicle in general, but if you need the extra room, it is definitely worth considering. Google the reviews because certain years and configurations are problematic. I particularly appreciated the ability to lower the driver's seat ( much more than typical ) such that head room was wonderful. I did not have to move the seat all the way back.

• tallguy_25tallguy_25 Posts: 6

6' 9" tall guy again... I went to GMC/Buick dealership today and sat in Terrain, Regal, and Lacrosse.

• Believe what people say about the Terrain; it's probably one of the roomiest SUV's you'll find, especially in the small suv class.
    • The regal has pretty decent legroom but the headroom is about like an accord (my head was nearly touching the ceiling). This was my only serious contender since it comes in a manual trans.
    • I was skeptical that the Lacrosse can actually fit Shaq... I was wrong, it's super roomy. Nothing comes close except Charger/300/Magnum... Maxima isn't far off though. If you can stomach the notion of driving a Buick, Lacrosse will fit any tall dude.

I'm still on the hunt for the right vehicle. I've recently made a list of my "must have's":

1. I must fit
    2. Must have a manual transmission
    3. Must have 4 doors (sedan preferably... perhaps a crossover).
    4. Must have a combined 29-30 mpg.
    5. Must not exceed $20K (used is fine with me of course)

I'll likely try out the Scion XB next. Anyone have luck with it? It's one of the cars that extendmyseat.com makes seat extenders for too... And with what seams to be ample headroom, the XB sounds like a good contender.

I came close to buying an xB, partly because of the HUGE amount of headroom (make sure you lower the seat).

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,199

yup, xB is really roomy from the driver's seat.

I haven't tried it out myself, but someone here at the office has a Soul and says the headroom is quite generous. I've heard similar things about the Honda Fit and Suzuki SX4, too, but, again, haven't tried them myself.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• joeytoesjoeytoes Posts: 1
    edited June 17

Hello all,

I'm 6'7" 190 pounds, 38" inseam, I've worked in the car business most of my life and here is my rundown on what fits me and others in my ballpark.

Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 2007+, I almost feel like a normal person would in that truck! Toyota Tacoma extended cab 2005+, not nearly as good as the Tundra but very comfortable seats and lots of legroom

Pontiac Grand Prix, I sat in a year 2000 with no moonroof of course and it was such a surprise, it has tons of legroom, the most I've ever felt in a car with the exception of a S500 coupe or Sedan.

Oldsmobile Intrigue, the one everyone talks about. It is really nice but it didn't have as much legroom as the Grand Prix does. I haven't sat in a coupe yet but people say it has even more legroom would be awesome!

2004 and newer BMW 5-series have very comfortable seats and tons of legroom and headroom, it's an expensive car to maintain but it's worth it for the room.

Mercedes ML350 05 and newer, very tall seat, very good legroom and tons of headroom. I drove a 2009 ML320 diesel for a while and it was incredibly comfortable!

Mercedes S430-500 1999 and newer, the most legroom ever encountered however it lacks headroom that us tall folks strive on, moving the back of the seat to a near vertical position makes vision almost impossible through the windshield.

Mini Coopers are nice but the bottom of the seats give zero thigh support, lots of legroom and headroom but definitely not a winner in my book.

VW GTI, Jetta, Tiguan, Golf 2006 and newer have the most comfortable seats, they are tall enough to be supportive of our tall torso's and the legroom is superb.

Land Rover LR3, the most comfortable SUV I've ever sat in, like the Mercedes ML, it has a very tall seat and it has plenty of legroom, I would definitely buy one of these.

If I had to pick 3 cars from cheap to expensive,

Grand Prix Sedan or Coupe

VW Golf/GTI

Land Rover LR3

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,830

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I don't get why hip room is part of the calculation.