Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Vehicles for Taller Larger Drivers

Comments

• dochollydocholly Posts: 2
    Amazingly enough my 6'8" 350+ pound son fits very comfortably in a Mini Cooper and a Scion.
  • dochollydocholly Posts: 2
    maybe when you graduate you could design cards for Ford/GM. Just a thought.
  • Thanks for the response. Do you carry weight in the front? I carry all mine is the front and so its hard for me to find a good car. I dont fit in a honda pilot but i fit in a honda matrix even though its smaller because driver wheel sits back farther.
  • I am 31 eventhough that is old in America I am ok being seen in it in my old age.
  • Eco Wife of Tall thin man (6'8" 205 lbs, inseam 37inches) seeks fuel efficient vehicle. Any tall people tried driving the Fiesta or Leaf? It wouldn't have to be his every day car, but it seems silly to buy a car he can't fit

For reference, He fits in Highlanders and Subarus (but not the Prius, Pilots or Rangerovers)
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    Since you've narrowed it down to those two (for right now at least), you might have better luck asking in a discussion about each of those two vehicles. This discussion is more for those who don't have anything in mind yet, so you might not get feedback here on those two vehicles.

If you need help finding your way to those discussions, let me know!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jobiekjobiek Posts: 4
    He will fit comfortably in a Jetta TDI which is a diesel that is rated 29 city and 40 highway
  • I've been driving a 2001 Mazda Protege for 9 years now. I wasn't nearly this tall when I bought the car, but I kept on growing. I was sick of being scrunched up in that tiny car that I finally had enough. So, I test drove several cars and have found a few that should suite most tall folks like me very well. I'll rank them starting with the best.

1. 2009 Dodge Charger--By far, this is the most roomy car I've ever sat in.
    2. 2009 Chrysler 300--Nearly as roomy as the charger
    3. 2010 VW Tiguan--I went with this one as I really wanted an SUV... very nice ride.
    4. 2009 Buick Enclave--Almost as roomy as the tiguan.
    5. 2009 Nissan Murano--Not as good as I had hoped. Still much more roomy than my protege. Not bad at all.

I hope this helps some people. It's amazing that this thread has been going on for over 10 years. I know the frustration us tall guys experience when finding cars, shoes, clothes, or girlfriends to fit. ;) Perhaps auto manufacturers will begin paying closer to our needs.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Thanks for the report, tallguy! I am sure that vertically endowed drivers will appreciate that. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Taringa,
    I know this is an older post from 6 months ago, but if you get this message, please let me know the name and number of the shop in Savage Minnesota that does seat modifications/moves - I've had that done here in Colorado on three different cars (they also did some of the Denver Bronco cars), but the main owners retired, sold the business, and the new owners no longer do seat modifications - they even did steering wheel/column modifications/adds that were incredible (I had it done once as it's expensive, and I saw a Mercedes with massive modifications done for a large Bronco player). Please let us know the name/number of the shop. Thank you.
  • n0tyn0ty Posts: 1
    My wife and I have two Toyota Sienna Minivans (2004 & 2005). We're large (350 lbs), but we fit nicely into them. What a fabulous car! I have 145,000 miles on mine (2004) and it's like brand new! It was garaged the whole time, and doesn't have any rust. Make sure to use full synthetic oil, have it changed regularly, and the engine will last forever!
  • crash99crash99 Posts: 1
    That's actually incorrect advice for Toyotas. My first Toyota was a 1971 Crown, My last one was a 1984 Supra. All of my Toyotas went over 150,000 miles. The Supra went to 183,000.

All were sold with engines that pretty much "ran like new". All had oil changes between 7000 and 12000 mile intervals. None were ever exposed to synthetic oil.

When the manufacturer recommends oil changes every 7500 miles, it's a conservative recommendation. Changing oil more frequently will have little benefit. The most critical thing you can do for your Toyota when it comes to oil is to make sure it is never more than a quart low.

If you keep oil in your engine in a Toyota, the car will rust well before the engine ever fails.
  • I dont think its safe for some one 300lb to ride around in a honda small car , any time your in the car and sitting next to driver and your arms and butt is touching the person the car is to small my god what would happen if they crash? I just hate to see 300-500 pound people gettibg in and out of real small cars just to say I have a car. :sick: :mad: :(
  • dovo329dovo329 Posts: 1
    I'm 6'7" 230 lbs so not gigantic but I am above the mass production bell curve.

I found the kia soul to be roomy as my head doesn't hit the roof, my knees aren't wedged in, I can drive the manual transmission relatively comfortable, the seats are significantly higher than most cars so that helps with blood circulation and comfort, the headrest will actually keep my head from whiplashing back (first time I've found that to be the case in a car) fitting where it's supposed to, and it's also one of the most inexpensive new cars available.

So I'd recommend trying this model out and adding it to your list.
  • I'm 6'5, 385. I have driven a 2006 Mini Cooper S for the last 5 years and it is the most comfortable unmodified car I have ever owned. The front seats can slide all the way into contact with the rear, and I have heard of people as tall as 6'9-6'10 finding it to be comfortable to drive. Cargo space is limited and fuel economy isn't as good as many other subcompacts but it is a LOT of fun to drive and it does very well in crash tests (both simulated and the real 70 mph multicontact wreck I walked away from a few years ago AND after which my Mini was repaired). I have a feeling that it my bad mileage in it is because I just can't resist pushing it hard.

When I was looking to buy, the other cars on my shortlist were the Mazda 6, VW Golf, and Dodge Magnum. The roomiest driver appointment was the VW, by far. But there were no R32's left to test drive and peaky the 1.8T was extremely underwhelming to drive. The Magnum/Charger was comfortable as well but priced way too high for me at the time and I was also dissatisfied by the lack of any manual transmission offerings. The Mazda6 was a big surprise. It was far roomier than other cars in its class and with the V6, it was pretty quick, too. I never got to drive the Speed6 variant but I know I would have loved it. The big downside that pushed me back to the Mini dealership was the Mazda's airbag-equipped B-pillars ecclipsing the shoulder space of a seat moved all the way back.
  • bajababajaba Posts: 3
    I'm 6'11" and currently drive a Chrysler intrepid '98 which i find very roomy inside but to get in and out of this thing can be agony sometimes as its so low to the ground. I'd love to get something more economical as well but the main priority is getting something that fits--any idea's?
    Have been thinking on a minivan and have heard that some of the new small cars fit tall people but someone close to 7 feet probably not. I have in the past driven VW rabbit and nissan sentra both of which i found not too bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    edited July 2011
    I was going to suggest VW (Golf or GTI, although I suggest Golf because the sculpted seat in the GTI makes exit a bit more difficult), as it really is better situated for taller drivers (I'm 6'5" and can put on my helmet while in the car and don't even need to adjust the seat down to its lowest position). A salesman once suggested to me that German cars in general are designed to accomodate taller folks than Japanese cars (for instance).

This is unconfirmed, but someone I work with recently purchased a Kia Soul and tells me it has a tremendous amount of headroom, too (he's probably around 6'2").

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• bajababajaba Posts: 3
    thanks for the suggestions, the VW's do seem to fit quite well, I haven't tried the KIA soul yet but have taken a peek in a few and the only thing that concerns me is the dash that sticks out, I find when that occurs its too tight for my leg between the steering column and dash. Again thanks for the reply much appreciated
  • Have not tried vws. Nissan cube is nice for my body type, short legs long torso. I weigh about 600 lbs and currently drive a 96 ford windstar and a 91 caddy deville coupe. I have been looking for a new car and i believe there has never been a car designed with someone my size in mind which really there wouldnt be a great demand for them but it would seem that in designing something comfortable for someone my size everyone smaller would benefit. Cars and trucks that im able to get into, not so much be comfortable driving. Coupes including the cobalt, cavalier, and monte carlo. Ive not found a sedan that im able to get into except for a grand marquis i have not had a chance to try its sister cars. Ford taurus, kia rio, pt cruiser, g6, jeep liberty, dodge caravan, chevy minivan, toyota tacoma ext and crew cab, do not work due to the following reason. Usually the distance between the steering wheel and the B pillar are what stops me from getting into most cars and minivans. Ive gotten into a 2006 Ford Freestar and a 2005 Nissan Quest, Honda Oddessy was about the right size it seems , even drove the quest and enjoyed it but as far as being safe in an accident i do not believe there is a car made where the airbag is far enough from me to deploy without hitting me. Ext and crew cab trucks from ford and chevy, only two ive had a chance to try, seemed to have the most room of anything ive tried. The honda element was almost big enough except for the steering wheel. Well I hope this helps someone thats looking for a vehicle.
  • benb2benb2 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I'm 6'5", 250, of a large build all around and have a bad back. I wanted to share some observations I've made while shopping for a new car.

I drive a LOT, averaging 25k/year, and need something comfortable for long trips. I owned a Honda Fit, but the ergonomics and seats were so uncomfortable I traded it in within a year. I very much liked my Edge, but it was sadly totaled two weeks ago. New minivans are all too expensive for me, and many used cars don't make financial sense for long-term/high-use ownership. Trucks are all out because of Chicago laws that restrict open-bed vehicles from certain important roads.

There are several standouts for me for driving position and comfort, but all lack fuel economy and become very expensive to own. The Ford Edge (and other Ford SUVs) combined good entry and ergonomics for me but are very expensive to fuel. The CX-7 and 9 are also comfy but require premium gas. The GMC Acadia (and GM sisters) are similar - comfortable, spacious and thirsty.

The Maxima and Altima offer a lot of front-seat room/adjustability and are on the short list. The Jetta TDI Sportwagen offers great value and has been saved from the cost-cutting shortcuts seen on the sedans, but it's a car I basically have to fall to get into. Getting in and out of low cars every day is not good for us tall folk. Subaru's Outback and Forester are both close on price to the Jetta (TDI trim) and are nicer to get in and out of, but suffer from a lousy-feeling drivetrain. The Mazda 6 is comfortable if there is no sunroof.

The other cheaper SUV/hatches are either too small or have glaring flaws. The Cube is enormous inside but is rubbish to drive. Loud, hard, slow. The Scion Xb's dash is set too low for me and I have a hard time reaching the controls. The Mini Cooper fits very well but has a harsh ride for long trips - I regularly spend 3+ hours in my car a day.

Right now I'm leaning towards the TDI because it ends up being a couple hundred dollars LESS a month to run than the others, thanks to the great mileage. I'm a bit of a corner-case, being tall and driving so many miles, so my options are even fewer than for most. On top of it all, I play music and have to move large equipment around so a hatch is almost a must (I could just rent a van when needed). My uncle in Sweden drives a Ford Mondeo diesel wagon and I have been green with envy ever since driving it. The Mazda 6 is basically the same car but you can't get a wagon version in the states, nor a diesel. I'll just have to deal with the poor entry/exit.