Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Vehicles for Taller Larger Drivers

Comments

• carlupicarlupi Posts: 52
    Does anyone have first hand experience using these brackets? The company's website has testimonials but it would be good to hear directly from Car Forum-Townhall members. Thanks.
  • Great forum! I've been looking for something like this for a while. I've been driving a 2005 Toyota Matrix XR automatic on a daily 150 mile commute. I'm 6'4", 275#, 34" inseam. It can be a bit cramped but the seat adjusts 4 ways which gives some flexibility and the steering wheel tilts. The driver seat padding is also pretty good for big folks. I had 196000+ miles on it when I wrecked it this morning :( :cry: and it took the t-bone hit well, no injuries TG. The engine is rock solid on this car, did not burn any oil. It's low price also, ~$16k new when I bought. Now I'm off to find it's replacement.

PS my other vehicle is a 2004 Dodge Ram quad cab hemi. Plenty of room for the big guy, rides great, handles like a big truck, wouldn't recommend (hemi version) though, started burning oil :mad: at around 45k miles and Dodge considered 1 qt within 5k miles normal.
  • I am 6'7" tall apx. 260lbs.

I currently drive a 2011 Acadia which is awesome as far as comfort goes, Plenty of leg and head room as well as wide. I found this thread while searching for something different though. The price I paid, the AWD, and low MPG's of the Acadia are overkill for me. Comfort aside it's time to look for something else that won't kill my bank account.

My previous car was a Nissan Altima 3.5. it also had generous leg room. Head room came at the cost of the seat behind me though. with the seat all the way back there wasn't any room.

Here's a suggestion for anyone Tall. "Look for Telescoping Steering Wheel" it's an uncommon but key feature for those of us with long legs.
  • Seeking suggestions from other tall peeps. I am looking at getting a daily driver, (have an f250 and minivan for haulin stuff and kids) I figure since back seat is useless in a sedan with seat all the way back, may as well get something "fun" to drive.

I am 6'7", 260ish lbs. Looking for suggestions on lux sports cars. $20K and under used.

Mustangs are already out. Cant hardly get between seat and wheel,
    Corvette had leg room but tight peddles. my feet felt too big
    I like the BMW 335's for comfort but can't find one in my price range.

Anyways, anybody out there no of a "fun" car that suites tall people?
  • BMW 3-Series coupes and sedans both have a lot of seat travel and adjustment.... so, I think you might be on the right track, there..

Might have to drop down to a 328i to get in your budget..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I have a 2002 Avalon with bench seat. This is the best car to fit my size because without a center console, I have plenty of I knee room. I heard that Avalon only made bench seats in 2002 and 2003, so unless I find one with less mileage than mine (currently 292,000), then I may have to try all the cars I have read in this post.

So far I have really appreciated this site because I hear from many like me who struggle. One excellent suggestion was German vs. Japanese, because Germans are larger people than Japanese. The following seem to be the top recommendations of others in the past 5 years that are comfortable, affordable, and economical:

2002/2003 Avalon, Bench
    BMW 3 series
    Pickup truck
    Minivan
    Acadia 2011
    Scion XB 2012
    VW GTI
    Hyundai i10
    2010 Toyota Yaris
    2010 Suzuki Swift
    2010 Camry Hybrid
    2012 GMC Terrain
    2011 VW Beetle
    Mini Cooper
    2008 Camry Hybrid
    2011 Kia Optima
  • chitownbearchitownbear Posts: 3
    edited October 2013
    Im 6'9 350 lbs with somewhat broad shoulders. My inseam is only 34" and im long torsoed. Im Looking for a good car in the 30-35k range. My current car is an 08 altima which i fit in great.. With the new door panel and center counsel design in the 2013 model i find them a little snug (narrow). I was pretty bummed. I really liked my 08 and with 108k miles it had proven to be reliable minus a transmission swap under warranty. Any suggestions?
  • bigvinbigvin Posts: 6
    You should be able to find most, if not all models as one or two-year lease turn-ins at that budget, or even a brand-new model within that range if you are careful about the model and options. I was able to adjust the steering wheel to my liking on every Volvo in a car show this year, and the cars can be very reliable (Google Irv Gordon) and are well known for innovative safety features.

Also, don't be afraid to go after an SUV. There's more to maintaining a car than gas prices.
  • thanks for the advice. I actually had been looking at a pathfinder at the dealership the other day.. once again felt a little cramped. Seems like they are still more built for soccer moms than men of bigger of stature. I always find the dash is always to tight under the wheel . keeping my knees too close together. between that issue and the seat not getting me far enough from the dash. Seems like the vehicles we should be most comfortable are not the best options for us. I was so surprised when I got in my 08 Altima for the first time. its been the most spacious and comfortable car I ever owned. I never expected that at all. assumed it was just going to be another let down. I love the Volvos reliability and safety. They just don't do it for me visually.. I hate when I have to shop for cars. Its always so defeating instead of the fun it should be for someone who loves cars.
  • My friend is really tall and his wife is short. They bought a Suburban because the seat can be adjusted to fit both of them. They also have 5 kids, so it worked out very well.
  • bradwilletbradwillet Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    Another suggestion for the family types... in addition to the 2012 gti, we also have a 2011 Nissan Quest minivan. At 6'8, can drive 12hrs plus without much issue. Only thing of note is I think if your inseam is over 36" you may have an issue just because of the way the knee cutout is. But at a touch less than 36", I am perfectly fine. Seats are like la-z-boys. Much better than a Tahoe/suburban for me.

I had a 2002 Tahoe (same as suburban and avalanche for front passengers, interior legroom is unchanged through 2013 model year, can't speak to the new ones yet since I don't think they are even out yet). I was involved in an accident where I was spun around and did a rotating head-on into a concrete wall. Tahoe was totalled, and my knee was jacked up because it was so close to the dash (about 1 inch), even with the seat all the way back. Now I always pay a bit more attention to not only do I fit, but how would I fare in an accident. I know from experience unfortunately that the quest holds up well, and I don't see anything in the GTI that will destroy vital body parts in a crash..

The 2007 and 2009 Saturn Outlooks we had (exactly the same as Acadia/Traverse) were super comfortable, and as a general rule my wife and I liked them better for daily driving than the quest (a bit boat-ish), but reliability was less than stellar (being kind here) with both of them. Fool me twice... That being said, I am also very comfortable in the Terrain/Equinox, but poor gas mileage for the size, and I am still scared off of GM crossovers due to the outlooks.
  • Just get your seats moved back on the track! I had my Nissan Rogue seats moved back five inches. My family has been going to the same interior and seat fabric company in the Minneapolis area for 30 years. It cost $200 per seat. The company does a lot of similar work for tall sports stars. Many question whether insurance will be affected by the alteration, but handicapped people are getting car alterations all the time.
  • I had thought about that.. ive always been told if effects the air bag system and due to liability no one will do it any more.. was told it also voids the warranty on the car, and effects the insurability
  • The best tall cars have a large roofline height; vertical distance from the floor to where the window meets the roof. Sadly, manufacturers only provide the headroom measurement, which is dependent on seat height and that changes from one car to the next.
    You can find a list of car roofline height measurements by googling "roofline height"
    You can modify seats, but you can't raise the roof, so get a car with a high one!
  • I'm 6;7 and had an 03 Altima that was very comfortable. My Audi A6 though has been the most roomy sedan yet. I didn't even need to have the seat all the way back. needless to say, no one could still sit behind me though. lots of leg room and shoulder room for a sedan. Memory seat and steering wheel a perk too. makes it easier to get in and out of car without manually adjusting each time.
  • mkay3mkay3 Posts: 1
    Have anyone gave the Hyundai Elantra a try? I'm wondering if it's roomy. :)
  • Is there a vehicle that would be best for size 15 shoe. My husband is 6'5" tall, 280 # and has not found a vehicle that has sufficient foot room, and sometimes hits accelerator instead of brake. Help!__

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,886

well... hate to be the one to say it, but sounds more like user error. I'm the same height as your husband, sporting size 14s, and while I understand the plight of having insufficient foot room, it is more of a problem of preventing me from heel-toe shifting than driving normally. I even owned an Alfa Spider for 10 years. I have, on occassion, caught the side of my foot on the accelerator, but I've never ever missed the brake pedal entirely.

Having said all that, he may be more comfortable in something that has very wide footwells and well-spaced pedals (and only 2 pedals), such as a larger SUV or minivan. I certainly don't have any issue with foot room in my wife's Town & Country.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• tallguy_25tallguy_25 Posts: 6
    edited January 20

I recently let my wife start driving my very roomy Tiguan a few months ago, which meant I had to start driving her '05 Ford Focus ZX3. I'm 6'9" with about a 36" inseam; my torso is long but legs are too. More than 20 minutes in the focus is painful... Luckily, my work commute is right at 20 minutes.

So, I'm in the market again looking for a solution. I'm seriously considering making some extended rails for the focus driver seat giving me an additional 3" of leg room. That will only make the headroom worse though since I'll have to sit up more vertically in order to reach the steering wheel. The other solution of course is to find a new vehicle.

I went looking yesterday and found two unexpectedly roomy cars: 2013 Maxima and a 2006 BMW 325i.

One plus to driving the focus is that it has taught me to drive a manual shift car, which I now love... I definitely want my next car to have a manual transmission. I have good luck with VW cars. I think I'll try the GTI, Golf, and Passat next.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,423

I've found the GTI/Golf (without sunroof) quite roomy, as well as the Honda Fit and the Scion Xb. I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam so I need LOTS of headroom.