Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Vehicles for Taller Larger Drivers

1394041424345»

Comments

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,637
    edited January 20

@tallguy--you a big guy! It's those long legs that are often the dealbreaker. I have 34" inseam and on my Mini Cooper I can adjust the seat TOO far back to drive safely, so probably there's room for you leg-wise, and a nice 6 speed manual transmission. But being 6-9" I can't predict headroom. I agree with texases, though, sunroofs may not be an option for you, as you'll lose at least 1/2" headroom---and you're going to need as much of that as you can find. Honda Fit is a nice little car if you can "fit". :) CAVEAT: I'm talking about the 2014 Fit--the earlier models are nice enough but noisy and choppy for the long distance. I hear the 2014 has corrected much of that--but haven't driven one. Amazing room for its size, though.

• I took my Tiguan in for oil change and tire rotation today and I thought I'd try on a few vehicles why at the dealership. Accord, Passat, Golf, and GTI are a no go. I was really hopeful on the GTI (it's a killer sweet ride), but it was just to tight. There's so many factors that go into a comfortable ride though. The angle of your legs is a huge deciding factor for me. All of these cars made me feel like I was riding a go-cart.

However, I did fit in a Beetle! :) It was a very roomy and comfortable ride. I even test drove a manual model... I have a feeling I've found my next ride.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,936

It's been a sleeper car for the "wide bodied" crowd for years now. The new New Beetles lost a lot of visibility, if not interior room, so glad to hear that you taller folks still fit.

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,637

It's the Man Bug!

• suydamsuydam Posts: 882

My sons aren't nearly as tall as you -- 6'3" -- but they could fit in my old Maxima with ease. They really liked it. Isn't the Altima pretty much the same size now?

• Sadly, no... the altima definitely has much less room. I sat in both a new Maxima and a new altima. My knees where rubbing against the dash in the altima. In the maxima, my knees were a good 3" from hitting the dash.

• oakwiltoakwilt Posts: 12

I recently wound up in a 2013 Dodge Journey crossover SUV as a rental vehicle for a couple of weeks. I was surprised and impressed by the head and leg room for the driver. I'm 6'6" and had room to spare. The Journey is kind of a so-so vehicle in general, but if you need the extra room, it is definitely worth considering. Google the reviews because certain years and configurations are problematic. I particularly appreciated the ability to lower the driver's seat ( much more than typical ) such that head room was wonderful. I did not have to move the seat all the way back.

• tallguy_25tallguy_25 Posts: 6

6' 9" tall guy again... I went to GMC/Buick dealership today and sat in Terrain, Regal, and Lacrosse.

• Believe what people say about the Terrain; it's probably one of the roomiest SUV's you'll find, especially in the small suv class.
    • The regal has pretty decent legroom but the headroom is about like an accord (my head was nearly touching the ceiling). This was my only serious contender since it comes in a manual trans.
    • I was skeptical that the Lacrosse can actually fit Shaq... I was wrong, it's super roomy. Nothing comes close except Charger/300/Magnum... Maxima isn't far off though. If you can stomach the notion of driving a Buick, Lacrosse will fit any tall dude.

I'm still on the hunt for the right vehicle. I've recently made a list of my "must have's":

1. I must fit
    2. Must have a manual transmission
    3. Must have 4 doors (sedan preferably... perhaps a crossover).
    4. Must have a combined 29-30 mpg.
    5. Must not exceed $20K (used is fine with me of course)

I'll likely try out the Scion XB next. Anyone have luck with it? It's one of the cars that extendmyseat.com makes seat extenders for too... And with what seams to be ample headroom, the XB sounds like a good contender.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,424

I came close to buying an xB, partly because of the HUGE amount of headroom (make sure you lower the seat).

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,894

yup, xB is really roomy from the driver's seat.

I haven't tried it out myself, but someone here at the office has a Soul and says the headroom is quite generous. I've heard similar things about the Honda Fit and Suzuki SX4, too, but, again, haven't tried them myself.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country