Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Kizashi

Comments

• nace818nace818 Posts: 140
    Check for dings also. I've never a car that dinged so easily and I've owned quite a few cars in my lifetime. Seems everytime I washed it I would find a new little dent. None of my other cars had this many dings.
  • firebotfirebot Posts: 1
    boosuzuki, can you tell me how you got Suzuki to paint your car?? My 2010 black Kizashi looks very bad!! Love how it drives though.
  • Repainting of my 2010 kizashi just been approved within 3 days of contacting dealership.
    They going to need the car for 2 weeks, I complained about to many stone chips appearing on sides, yet my swift that drives on same roads got none at all, both have factory mudflaps fitted.
    Thankyou Suzuki New Zealand for such a rapid response to my complaint.
  • Looking at a new Kizashi and readd about lots of paint chip problems with 2010 models and a few 2011 models. I drove a 2011 SE recently (white) and it drove great! Nice interior with soft touch materials, comfortable seats and quiet cabin. This was an automatic, and not sure I like the CVT transmission. Perhaps you just need to get used to the CVT, with no real shift points, but just a continuous power band. Would like to try a 6 speed manual, but those seem to be pretty rare (at least in Maryland). Wondering if anyone has a manual transmission and could comment on that powertrain.

Additionally, have the Kizashi's been reliable and if not, have the dealers been able to fix the problems easily?

Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

Bel Air Car Guy.
  • Hi all,

I purchased my new Kazashi at the end of June. A black 2011 Kazashi Sport GTS with the 6 speed manual transmission. At this point, I have not found any paint chips and I have almost 6000 miles on it. 1st oil change was at 5000 miles and all looked fine. I will say that the plastic base that contains the seat cushions for the front passenger seat has a broken plastic clip on it, but that is probably due to carrying an overly large mother-in-law to Orlando and back from Raleigh. I have not shown the clip to the dealership yet. Let's hope they fix it at no cost.

I love changing gears in this car! The clutch is super light and I'm getting close to 28mpg in mixed driving. I like the bluetooth with my iPhone also. Calls go through the speaker system and I can listen to music or watch movies w/o a cord attached.

I have a couple of small gripes though. I am a short person (5foot6inches) and the center console/armrest is set too far back for me to rest my elbow on. Also, I wish the doors locked automatically when the car gets to 15mph or so. This one doesn't seem to hard of a request. My 8yr old Dodge has done this from day 1 and hasn't needed repairing (yet).

Overall, I am a happy owner and love the looks and driving of the car. Speed comes very easy and there is no drama when you are going fast.

I don't see any around the Raleigh area, so I'll be watching the forum for updates from other owners. Hope all enjoy the car as much as I do!
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,423
    Just a gentle correction here...you've had the car awhile, so it's time to learn how to spell its name! K-I-Z-A-S-H-I. ;)

With regard to the door locks, dealers and others are often able to program these things in via computer. On my previous car, a 2003 VW Golf, the dealer said it couldn't be done, even though my 1999 Passat came equipped that way on delivery. Several years later, when I mentioned it again, this time to my non-dealer, super good mechanic, he whipped out his laptop, hooked it into the VW's computer and within seconds had the doors set up to lock at low speed and unlock when I removed the key from the ignition. Didn't cost me a dime either. Thus, I would think there is also a way to set this up on a car as new as the Kizashi.

Also, I am only 5'6 1/2" and find the Kizashi armrest usable (don't own one, but test-drove it a few times before settling on a Volvo S60). Long ago, I got used to a driving position sitting a bit further away from the wheel, knowing that it is not at all a good thing to be sitting really close to the airbag. Try it...you might get used to it.
  • LOL ! I'm such a moron! I spend so much time talking about the car and spelling the name.... and what do I do? Misspell it on a forum. HA!
    Thanks for the gentle reminder gregg vw, I'll try to do better....and thanks for the tip on the cpu programming. I have a mechanic in mind who may be able to help.
    I took the car into the Raleigh dealership and showed them the passenger seat. They ordered a part and it is already in. No charge for replacing it. They are also going to change the oil and check things over. All no charge. :D
    I'll work on moving the seat back, I just don't want to start lying down to drive. Not my style (know what I mean?) .

-skinnypop
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    Hey, at least you messed up on a new-ish vehicle that's a little difficult to spell. How long has the Camry been around? Yup, we still get people spelling it Camaray or Camery, or some spelling that makes it appear that they own a Camry/Camaro hybrid vehicle. :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• that spell Chevy Camaro the Chevy Camero! :)

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• Why is it that there is such a limited supply of 2011 Kisashis' at dealers? I am contemplating purchasing a Kisashi (test drove one recently), but in doing more local searches for one, I have found that every dealer within a 100 mile radius of me has perhaps an inventory of no more than three or four on hand. Is anyone else seeing this besides me? I realize the year is quickly coming to an end, but is it that suzuki simply builds a small number of Kizashi's thus far?
  • nybillnybill Posts: 1
    I have 39K miles now on a 2010 Kizashi 6 speed. I drove the CVT and the 6 speed (2 identical white models), and decided on the six speed. The tradeoff in power on the CVT was too much to bear.

I also was advised by the dealer to pay a few $$ extra to have the "brand new car" treated with this paint sealant they sold to protect it from chipping. The car is also white, so chips are not as obvious. So far no bad chipping.

So far so good with the car in performance as well.

Two complaints however
    1 The fabric wears fast in the back seats (the kids drag car seats in and out)
    2 The S base model tires were crappy and had to be tossed at 2k miles.
  • Just bought a 2011 SE. I also am not a fan of the cvt so I test drove a manual in hopes that it would have a more sporty feel...it did not! It felt like a very cheap ride which was disappointing. I chose the AWD model instead and still don't like the cvt.
    Just curious...why did you buy the car if you don't like either transmission?
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,818
    My thought exactly...why buy a car you with a tranny you didn't like? Crazy!

The Sandman :confuse: :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf SE (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• you guys are right, why buy a car with a tranny you're unhappy with? Your credibility is in the pooper now with all of us interested in the Suzuki Kizashi. We don't trust you.

• with the money spent on a new car why would you buy a new car with a tranny you didn't feel comfortable driving? :surprise:

Motor Trend did an article on a long term red car and they seemed to really like it...a nice car that's off most folks radar. It looks to be a little larger compact car which drives a bit smaller. Sat in one at the Hyundai/Suzuki/Mitsu dealership and was quite impressed by the seat comfort and general layout of the dash. Probably should have the wife test one of these also since we'll be there anyways. Another one I like is the Mitsu Outlander Sport...the smaller one. Nice looks with an o k dash but have heard some negative things about the weird radio controls and the less than stellar mpg's. The extra ride height and the ability to just slide right over into the seat are big pluses for me. Will have to drive one to see how it moves.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf SE (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    edited October 2011
    automatic tranny CVT in gunmetal grey and the car drove like a dream. I was really impressed with the car and may still buy one later.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi

All controls were intuitive and easy to use. The car just flattened bumps like they weren't there. Perhaps that section of Henderson, NV, was pretty flat but I did try and look for bumps just to check and the car did wonderfully.

Steering was precise without being "sticky" and prone to understeer wrought on with the resulting encumbent body throw. I loved the test drive and really didn't want to give the car back to them!

Like I say, I may very well buy one of these one day. Great midsize...oh and by the way-this is a true midsize car-one does feel like they're getting in to a larger car than a compact.

Suzuki should feel proud of theirselves with this car, it is truly the best midsize car. I would call the Ford Fusion a pretty close #2 and if one of those came along that was possessing a price/option package I liked it wouldn't take much to make me bite on one of those, carnuts.

The Outlander Sport is not rated as well as the Outlander. If you are looking at this size vehicle, at least consider driving a Kia Sportage (or Soul if you want better mileage) or Hyundai Tucson (or Veloster). They are well-styled, well-priced, well-rated, and get better mileage than Mitsubishi. That said, what is the problem with sliding into the Suzuki? The car is solid, quiet and handles really well. Extra ride height usually also means less good handling, so you will be driving more like an old person...braking on corners that really don't need braking, etc. The Kizashi just zips along.
    Do like the Hyundai examples and the dealer is literally across the street where we bought my daughter's Accent. Sitting up high is what I think I want in my next ride with the ability to slide over into the seat due to severe spinal issues. And driving like an "old person", well I am going to be 57 in two weeks so I am pushing it. Ask my kids, I don't drive like an older man according to them as I do have a sort of speeder mentality some of the time. I've always been intoxicated by the movement of a car, since I was a small child literally standing up in the car behind the driver. Something thrilling about the moving forward part. It's very exhilarating, just like a feeling of being high, but high on the speed of the car! Hard to explain really but it's such a rush!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• leeza2leeza2 Posts: 1
    I am a first time Suzuki owner. I bought a 2011 Kizashi based on the reviews. But I am EXTREMELY unhappy about the paint chips!!!!! I thought it was my imagination, until I read other REAL reviews. I can not believe how poor the quality of the paint is. I hand wash the car and every week there are more and more chips. It only has 5k miles and looks worse than any car I have with 100k. I bought a hood protector and never put it on after I realized how bad the bumper looked, why bother! Also I have had the tire pressure sensor light go off 3 times within the first 5k miles-anyone else having this problem???
  • nace818nace818 Posts: 140
    Just a word precaution, if you use the car washes wit the pressure wands, don't hold it too close to a chipped spot. Yhe paint will flake right off, then you'll have a large black paintless spot. I had the bumper repainted on my Verona just to have it flake off afain. Also everytime I washed it, I found a new ding. So it also easily dented.
  • I am also a 1st time suzuki owner. I purchased the Black Kizashi, and have had it for about 4 months now. I have 7500 miles on it and have traveled gravel roads through the mountains of NC. I have no paint chips yet. I did have the tire pressure sensor go off while I was in the mountains. (just came back from a week's vacation up there). On my final morning there, the tire pressure warning went off. I checked the pressure on all 4 tires and they all read 36. Recommended pressure is 38. A little sunshine and about 30 miles and the warning went away. I was thinking that it was a combination of air pressure and cold that set it off. Seemed weird to me, but I still like the car. :)
  • I researched for 6wks before choosing the Suzuki Kizashi, I got what is called the Limited model over here in NZ. I compared specs, road tests and reports and drove several cars myself before deciding the Kizashi was the best value for money.

I compared the new Hyundai Sonata, (or i45 over here), the Honda Accord Euro, the VW Passat, the new European Ford Mondeo among others. My criteria was it had to be comfortable for my broken back, being new it had to be the latest technology, and it had to match the fuel economy of our Nissan Pulsar SLX which was a 1600cc auto sedan.

I sum up the Kizashi thus... It looks fantastic in our Prussian Blue and is the envy of everyone I know, especially the neighbours. It has all the bells and whistles you can think of and some you didn't, it goes like a V6, drinks like a small four and if you need more performance you need a V8!

It handles more like our Miata than a sedan has a right to and while the ride is more sporty than luxo it remains controlled and accurate at any speed on any road, something the others can only dream about!

The engine may not be quite as refined as a Honda but it is smooth and powerful, extremely quiet at cruising speed, rorty under hard acceleration and I can achieve over 30mpgUS on a trip with ease.

It took a wee while to get used to the CVT transmission but now I find it odd to drive an automatic and hear and feel it changing gears, I'm used to, and prefer, the absolute smoothness of the CVT. It is tuned for economy and quickly rises to the highest ratio which means the revs drop to 1200rpm which is disconcerting at first until you realise you are still accelerating! It has so much torque you just don't need to rev it and 60mph is only about 1800rpm!

The manual mode is fun and the paddle-shifters easy to use and for maximum acceleration locking it in the ratio's mimimises the slippage of the CVT. However if you modulate the throttle, you can get very satisfying acceleration in drive. I have no doubt it will easily attain its stated top speed of 125mph, as 100mph is a piece of cake and it could easily cruise all day at 80-90mph should you have the conditions to do so.

Wind noise is the best of all and teh only gripe I have is that teh Yokohama 235 x 18's it comes with are a bit noisy on New Zealands coarse chip seal. When they eventually wear out, I'll look for a tyre more suited. On the smoother tarmac they are silent.

One would have to spend at least double the NZ$40k, ($32kUSD), it cost me to get anything to match or possibly better it. We both love it and love driving it! :)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    edited November 2011
    I test drove a '10 Suzuki Kizashi and fell in love with it, too. Negotiations trading in our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS went sour at the dealer I test drove at or we'd now be driving a red '10 Suzuki Kizashi in 6-speed manual transmission form.

Your report only further confirms what I learned during my test drive in April 2010. This is one awesome smallish midsize car from Suzuki! Feel free to pop in with frequent updates on your Kizashi.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi in "that" red

I still may own one of these cars one day. Chances are actually pretty good! ;)

• rcopa1rcopa1 Posts: 24
    edited November 2011
    I am not crazy about the transmission and still bought the car. The positives out weigh this one negative. The groaning the transmisson makes is annoying. But with the radio on it's muted a bit. I have had my 2011 SE white car for about 7 months and have had no issues with paint or chipping. Have had no problems period. I love this car, it's a fun to drive and handles great. I only wish it came with an XM radio unit. $550 is a lot to pay for something many cars have as standard equipment. Even the Soul Kia has XM at little or no cost for the unit.
  • What's an XM radio? Forgive my ignorance, here...
  • rcopa1rcopa1 Posts: 24
    It's satilite radio. Suzuki charges $550 for the reciever.
  • Hi, remember me in post # 102? Well, I ended up purchasing the very 2011 Kisashi Sport GTS I test drove. Funny thing about the whole purchase thing is that when I originally test drove it at my local dealer, I figured it would still be there at least two weeks out (when I was intending on making my move). It turned out it was was not, so my wife and I scanned a 100 mile radius from us for the same year, color and trim, and a dealer some two hrs away had one in inventory. We made arrangements to go look at and knew we were more than likely going to buy it. As I test drove it and looked at it in detail, it seems odly familiar to me. On a hunch, I asked the salesman if they had taken in this particular car on a "dealer swap", he had no idea. I looked closely at the window sticker, and right there in bold letters it indicated the original dealer delivery! (my local dealer!) I drove 100 miles round trip for the very car I could have purchased 10 miles away! We've had it for almost three weeks now, and love it. What they say about the quality of meterials is non an understatement. The steering feels solid and accurate. Comfort is as good as any european sedan, and the ergonomics of the dash layout are just where you'd expect them. Most all functions are easy to operate, and it feels roomy for a car in this class range. Only complaint perhaps would be the rear seat belt latching - if you have a wide booster seat for your kids, it takes a little wrestling to buckle your little ones. Fot the money though, it's a darn good buy.
  • Suzuki really out-did theirselves on this one. A great bargain, good-looking and fun to drive, and worth every penny. Like I say, I may own one some day!