Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR4

Comments

• You're talking premium brans in either case. It will be expensive either way you choose. For me the X5 has way too little cargo space. It basically a truck body on the 5series platform (just as the x6 is on the m6 platform)
    the lr4 has a real truck ladder frame making it much tougher. That being said the x5 is a better handling road vehicle because of that car frame.
    It all depends on what your focus for buying is. Great driving truck but don't need any storage room? Go with the x5.
    Want something a bit different that can carry more loads and occasionallygo offroad without batting an eye? Get the LR4.
    If it's an emotional decision about which makes you feel better, IMHO go with the LR4.
    You'll give it a name, take it camping, go on long trips with it. It's a family member. The x5 is just an suv.
  • I appreciate that. I'm coming off an 06 RX330. Cant say I've had any real problems with it other than the whole Japanese technology has bored me to death and the new RX's are more boring. I am just really impressed with how nice the LR4 really is.
  • One last question, I'm trying to find out how high the LR4 is in the back. Trying to see if it will actually fit in my garage (could be a deal breaker). I'm reading in the LR4 book the dealer gave me, height is 76.3? I know the back end is a little higher than the front so I need to make sure this beauty will be protected.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    Actually, the LR4 has a unique construction. It is a unibody like the X5. A unibody provides better fit and finish, safety and roadability. But to be a Land Rover it needs a lower center of gravity and greater torsional strength than a unibody can provide. Therefore, they hydro form a frame. This process utilizes 2300 psi fluid to form the frame. One can do a large intregal shape with no weak spots. A full frame is then put under the unibody. Much different from a unibody car or a body on frame like the 4Runner.
    I have been involved with LR for almost 9 years now. Only once did I have a customer who had a height problem. He lived in a urban condo high rise and his parking space was the lowest in the entire garage area. He lowered the car to access height when he entered the garage area (2" lower) and never had a problem. I have never had a home owner with a space problem.
    I could (and have ) write an epistle on the improved reliability on LRs. Every year they get better. At our dealership (which is small) our warranty income has dropped in excess of 7 figures over the past 2 years. The days of being very British in terms of reliability are gone. We rank very well with other Euro brands.
    Dan, your article was good reading. I might note that the LR4 has 2 vents now for a reason. The 4.4L engine in the LR3 only needed 1 vent. It was form follows function. The new LR4 5.0L needs 2 vents. So it is function, not design, that dictated 2 vents.
  • Thank you. Would you happen to know exactly how high the truck is in the back from the ground to the top of the back of the car?
    At normal driving height 74.5" (6' 2.5")
  • lr4fanlr4fan Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have owned an LR4 5 months and have 11,300 trouble free miles. Around town mileage is 16-17 and highway mileage is around 20 at 70 mph and 19+ at 75 mph. Fit and finish are excellent. Handling is above average for an SUV and there is more than ample power for merging or towing. Seven adults can be seated comfortably. Storage behind the second row of seats is spacious and the third row of seats has 36 inches of leg room (can't be beat). The interior is flawless. Best LR bang for the buck. Can go off road or jump a curb when necessary. Six footers can sit in 3rd row and stretch out. There have been no electronic problems.
  • I did a ton of research and finally pulled the plug on a 2010 LR4. It was between this and a X5 (have owned bmws for the past 5+ years). Really wasn't that hard of a decision if you are looking for a true truck/suv. The X5 is a great vehicle but as mentioned prior does not offer much in regards to hauling space.
    Only issue i have had are the crappy tire pressure monitor sensors (trouble in all models not just LR). Whoever thought this was a good idea had way too much time on their hands! First most people check their tires periodically and second if you get a flat tire i am guessing you know it and don't need a bs monitor to tell you that. Anyways it has been in the shop a couple of times regarding this issue (couldnt pinpoint which monitor - finally think it is the monitor inside the tire - must be a common deal as the part is back ordered)...
    The vehicle is fun to drive, very responsive and agile. It is a head turner in every aspect and I enjoy the fact that there are relatively few of these on the road (so far). I believe they will be a huge seller.
    Suggestions to LR -- put in a bigger gas tank. 325+/- miles per tank is not enough
    range. Make the roof rack standard and not a dealer add on.
    Conclusion -- If you are in the market for a luxury/sport SUV "truck" this is the vehicle for you. It distinguishes the line between car/suv (x5/lexus) and true luxury truck/suv without sacrificing comfort and convenience. Good job Land Rover!!
    Congratulations. I can only warn you that once you own a LR you will always own one. Enjoy!
  • jwscfajwscfa Posts: 4
    On February 17th of this year I took delivery of a 2010 LR4 HSE with the Lux Plus Package. On February 23rd the vehicle would not start and was flat bedded back to the selling dealer for two days to diagnose and replace the brake switch. The warning on the dash said "place foot on brake" while my foot was on the brake. On March 3rd the same problem occurred resulting in the service manager of the selling dealer coming to my house and adjusting the brake switch. Apparently it was not reading adequate vacuum pressure in the brake system. In addition to this problem I experienced many of the same issues noted on this forum with satellite radio reception problems, incorrect satellite radio displays, uneven steering wheel heating and calculation problems with the guidance system unable to read the amount of fuel in the tank when it was full.

On March 29th while driving I got 4 fault codes-transmission fault,parking brake fault, emergency brake assist not available and stability control not available-drive carefully. I drove the car home and it once again was sent by flat bed back to the selling dealer. After keeping my vehicle for 3.5 days I received a call from the service manager. He stated that most of the minor issues would be fixed with a software upgrade due to come out in a month. He also stated that they had not been able to replicate the fault codes and Land Rover had instructed them to return the vehicle to me. The vehicle had 1601 miles when it went back to the dealer.

I documented each of these issues with digital camera photos which I provided to the dealer. Some of these issues may seem minor and I would not dispute that but for $60k I think you have the right to be a little picky. However having two major service issues within a month and a half with one of them being a major safety issue was too much for me. The fact that made up my mind about the quality of the car was when Land Rover would not acknowledge that the car even had a problem even though it was documented with pictures. I think my selling dealer did all they could to correct the issue but got little support from the factory. Basically here is a vehicle with a major safety problem that Land Rover is unwilling to acknowledge and is willing to put this car back on the road. They have a car that they cannot fix so their response was to send the car back to the owner. This is totally unacceptable from a safety standpoint and I traded the vehicle for another brand.

I feel everyone should be aware of how Land Rover is not facing up to service issues with this vehicle and I would strongly recommend against anyone purchasing any vehicle from a manufacturer such as Land Rover who has this attitude toward service and safety issues with their vehicles.
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Posts: 184
    That's an odd one to be sure. I think your problem is more with the dealer than with the truck. Try another dealer for service.
    Remember the LR4 is just a refreshed LR3. It's a fairly mature platform that will deliver years of fun for you but I hope this one experience doesn't sour you on it.
    Sounds like they're just blaming software for what is probably a faulty sensor. Did they check the parking brake sensor? I'd definitely want a good mechanic to sit down with me and have a go-over with what is bothering me mechanically about the truck.

Over the past four years I've had my share of good and bad dealers. I now drive an hour to get to a dealer that has one of the best LR mechanics in the country. Seiously, this guy teaches other mechanics.

You have got to find that good second opinion.

On the other hand you may have a really rare lemon. I've heard of one case where a short in the harness caused all sorts of issues and my dealer (the one with the awesome tech) replaced the womans truck with a new one. Head office directed the dealership to replace all the wiring in the truck, which required about 90% complete disassembly of the truck. They said when that was done, the truck never came back with any gremlins-and it was the awesome mechanic who took it apart and put it back together again.

Not saying what you have is that bad-it just sounds like a bad sensor and an inexperienced mechanic. Get that second opinion from another dealer -- preferrably one that comes recommended. Make sure you tell them the history and that you expect it to be fixed or replaced. You shouldn't have to put up with bad service.
    There are a couple of clarifications that I think I should make. First, it was Land Rover tech support's determination that the car should be returned to me, not the dealer. Because of this I do not blame the dealer but rather the attitude of the manufacturer. As to finding another mechanic while the car is under warranty, if Land Rover was not going to believe my photo documentation of the fault codes why would they believe another mechanic? The nearest Land Rover dealer to me is over 2 hours away and I do not have the time to drive to each one to see if they can fix the problem. Finally the issue is moot as the dealer replaced the car with another brand from their family of dealerships. The dealership did what it took to make the situation right, not Land Rover. It is now not my problem but be aware if you are looking to purchase a used 2010 LR4 with under 2000 miles in Nara Bronze in the Southeast U.S.
    There is a software enhancement coming in the next few weeks that will solve your issues
  • Thanks. I think you are correct - i hope to be a "rover" for quite some time.
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Posts: 184
    That's really a shame that you had to go that route. Personally, I would have escalated within LR NA.

Only having one dealer within reasonable range is certainly a limiting factor in your case. Do you mind me asking what other vehicle you got into?

I currently own 6 Land Rovers of various vintages, and have never had a service issue like you describe. (I purposely don't say 'dealer' or 'technical' as each of them are subjective).

The most modern of my Rovers are 2 1994's (A Range Rover and a Defender NAS) and a 2006 LR3 HSE, which is getting replaced this coming fall with a 2011 LR4. (My other vehicles are a 1959 Series 2 5dr station wagon, a 1968 Series 2A Dormobile and a 1983 Series 3 LWB Military pickup truck.)

I had a few good dialogs with LR over the years about the design of the sensor system in the LR3, but I didn't get to them by just asking.. I had to press my case for a redesign on the sensors for the suspension system. I have a background in electronics engineering, and currently work in the IT field. I had a look at the wiring system in the LR3 (which is available publicly, BTW) and recommended that they change it to a 2-factor sensor system.

I had previously had a few instances where the system would tell me I had a suspension fault and that I should pull over ASAP. Then it would drop me to the bump stops. For a normal person this would mean a call to the towing service and a trip to the dealer. Well, I hate that. So I found out how to reset the fault system on an LR3. It's a little involved, and I won't get into the specifics here, but suffice it to say, it's never failed to get my truck back on it's feet. According to the docs, if there is a legitimate fault, it won't recover.. If it's a flaky sensor or frost, or a computer hiccup, resetting the fault system will allow you to recover and be on your way.

This led me to think that there was a way to improve the sensor system. I proposed they set up two sensors on the suspension system. If both of the sensors found an error, then you had a legitimate fault. If only one had a fault, then you've got a faulty sensor or a computer glitch. Log it, and report that you may have a sensor or computer issue, but don't ground the truck.

I haven't heard back if they've incorporated my suggestion into the new design, but they were at least receptive to it when I submitted it to LR engineering in the UK.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for your thoughtful reply. The dealer traded me into a 2010 Lexus GX 460 which has been flawless so far. I agree that sensors in modern cars are a problem depending upon design, etc but how is anyone to know if it is the sensor or a true mechanical fault? I would hate to be cruising into a corner and the stability system die on me. I probably could have escalated the issue within LR given my photographic evidence but I needed a vehicle that I could depend upon for day to day driving and given the distances involved it was just not worth the time and effort. I hope your new LR4 that you are purchasing is a good vehicle. I certainly wanted my vehicle to work out as I truly liked the LR4 when it was functioning correctly. However having driven the Lexus it seems to be a far superior vehicle in terms of functionality than the LR.
  • Isn't Lexus a Toyota? Now there is an honest company as we find out, yikes...
    Having car problems really is aggravating..I have had my share as well - from Jeep (had one replaced) to Mercedes (bad transmission with less than 2,000 miles on it).
    I hope your replacement goes better.
    So far my new LR4 is everything and more that I wanted - a luxury SUV.
  • lhr7lhr7 Posts: 11
    You purchased a 2010 Lexus GX 460? You do realize that Toyota/Lexus has just stopped selling that vehicle due to concerns that it flips over to easily. I understand that you may have some problems with your LR4. But, I have owned two different models of LR3s (both models are less then 4 years old), I have to say I have pretty decent luck with my dealers taking care of any issues. Did you get some bad gas? I have seen cheap gas cause the computer to believe it was misfirings, when it really wasn't? They are very sensitive when it comes to gas.

However, if your dealer is as great as you say...you may want to talk with them about switching to a different vehicle for your family's safety. The last thing you need is to see someone hurt because the Lexus flipped due to being to top heavy.