Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    I believe the only model you can get with a 5-speed is a T5 Model.....

AS
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    A manual is available with the base engine, but not the low pressure turbo.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...may be "available" but I've never seen one. It's one of those phantom items IMHO unless you're willing to go Euro Delivery I think.

Personally, I'd love one.
    My local Euro joint (they sell only high end used European cars) had a couple '98 V70 non-turbo manuals a while back. I really wanted to pick one one of them up, but it wasn't in the financial cards at the time. I've driven a non-turbo S60 five speed, but I live in an area with relatively fewer Volvos than I'm used to (grew up in Mass., live in Iowa) so I haven't actually seen a new-style manual wagon of any stripe; I'm going off the Volvo website for that info.

Euro delivery, eh? Yeah, I'd do that. :-)

-Dave, owner of the only non-turbo 740 5-speed I've ever seen.
    ...I'm in MA and Volvos are everywhere. I've visited my local Volvo/Saab emporium and they probably had close to 100 V70's - not a one with a stick. A few Saab 9-5's yes, but no Volvos.

I recently went to a Volvo driving event and even they basically said they're out there but you've got to look long and hard to find one. Volvo moms want nothing to do with stick shifts I guess.

Rob - missing driving a 5 sp more and more.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Your '89 745 is a 5-speed M50? I thought the only manual available for 740s in that year was the 4-speed M46.
    Well, it's a 744, and it's an M47 5 speed. The M46 was used for the Turbo models.

robr- yeah, I grew up in MA, so I'm familiar with the grand proliferation of Saabs and Volvos. :-)
  • conbugconbug Member Posts: 13
    My 1989 740 GL is a 5 speed manual. When I bought it there was no option for a 4 speed. BTW I just bought a brand spanking new 2002 V70 2.4t for $30K (premium pkg, cold weather pkg, Metis 16" alloys). Unfortunately no manual is offered for this trim. You can get a manual for the base 2.4 model or the T5, but not the 2.4t or the XC.

Anyone want to buy my 1989 740?
    I would, but if I brought home another old Volvo, it'd mean instant divorce...LOL.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    I'll get back to you on that one... :-)
    I know a couple of guys who wish they could get an "instant divorce". :)
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    I've test driven a v70 2.4 t twice but find that the unadjustable headrest gives me a neck ache. Anyone else had this experience and do you get used to it? I'm only 5 foot 2.
    One of the sales guys suggested reclining the seat back a bit further so i'm not straight up and down (pushes my head too far forward.) It helped a bit, but I don't want to buy a $35K car and then hate the seat. I have that now with my otherwise serviceable Sable wagon now!!!!
  • brobob1brobob1 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in a 2001 V70. Have looked at one and test drove. Consumers Reports does not recommend this year V70 even though it received high marks in just about every category. Does anyone have any info on this year wagon or on a 2000 V70? I drove a 98 S70 for two years, loved the comfort and safety, but was disappointed in its service record. I don't want to buy a year that is known for repair problems, but like the wagons.
    brobob1
  • regdor1999regdor1999 Member Posts: 3
    brobob1,

Well, we had decided on a new VW Passat GLS (non-4mo, non-leather, 5spd) wagon when we drove a 2001 V70 with touring, premium, and cold weather packages just for the heck of it. Oops.

The aforementioned 2001 V70 is now in our driveway. The seats and safety, not to mention the space sold us on it. I didn't realize that the 2001 was not a good choice re: reliability, but I had heard that 2000 and prior for this model weren't stellar. Regardless, being used, this car was from a Volvo dealer, and therefore a Certified Volvo used car, and comes with a 6 yr/100,000 mi warranty (if new, it's 4 yrs, 50k , or something like that, correct?), so that gave us some piece of mind, at least until 100k.

Personally, anything running reliably after 100k and onward I consider icing on the cake.

Keep in mind that Consumer Reports does there sampling via owner surveys, and people with problems are more likely to respond. I won't get into the debate re: CR's methodology, biasd/unbiased views, etc., but just realize what their methodology is realistically. It's not gospel, but it's definitely not fiction, either.

Just my observations! Thanks.
    How come Volvo has not released prices on any of its 2003 models yet? I'd like to know and they're taking way too long, unlike the other automakers.
  • crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    Autochannel news

Looks like they LOWERED the prices on some models!

03 V70 2.4 = $27,870

02 V70 2.4 = $30,025

03 V70 2.4t = $30,870

02 V70 2.4t = $34,225

03 V70 2.4t AWD = $32,620

02 V70 2.4t AWD = $35,975

03 V70 T5 = $33,870

02 V70 T5 = $36,425

dest = add $660

Maybe, just maybe, a new base model V70 could be in my future after all. :-)
    From the same article, it states that Volvo is deleting some equipment form entry level models. Sounds like decontenting.

Then again it says that leather and sunroofs are now options but they always were on the V70 2.4.

I never quite understood the appx $2900 premium for the V70 ($30,025) as opposed to the S60 (27,125). AFAIK, there weren't many major differences other than the body. Now it's only $1500.
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    Did they happen to list a price for the V70R?

As you can tell I've been seriously considering the Subaru WRX, but I'm thinking it might be a bit small. Other options I'm going to look into: V70R, Audi A4 Avant and the new Mazda 6 Wagon. I'd really like an AWD, high performance wagon.

Thanks,
    -Ian
  • dunkadunka Member Posts: 17
    It has been a while since I checked out this board. Figured I would give an update on my '01 V70 T5. Have roughly 33k miles logged. It had been going along fine until a relay fried for a fan in the cooling system causing the car to over heat - I am still getting the details from the dealer who repaired. We were out of town for a wedding, this was the first time a car has stranded us, let alone a relatively new car. Ironically enough my Mother-in-law's '01 S80 did the same thing two days before ours - Volvo states its a coincidence. The Oncall service worked well until there was confusion about who was going to pay to get the car back home (200 miles) Oncall eventually did the right thing and delivered the car to my front door via flat bed. In addition to this troubling event the car has gone through 2 headlights and one brake light... I am noticing an electrical trend here that has me worried. With all that said the car is still a joy to drive and very comfortable. I am just a bit leary. On another note, our '96 850 sedan is at 114k and chugging along like it has at least 200k in it.
  • johnnyturbo200johnnyturbo200 Member Posts: 5
    Hi I am new to the volvo group ...Just bought a 1998 v70 xc against many of the comments that I have read on the various boards...So, that brings me to my next pooint that I would like to get as much information as possible about the car..i.e. home repair tips, websites, common things that go wrong with the car, you know, anything that a new owner should know. Thanks a bunch for any tips that might come my way...Oh, by the way we like the car.
    For parts-

http://www.ipdusa.com

http://www.volvoworld.com (these guys are expensive, though...near dealer prices.)

For troubleshooting help-

http://www.brickboard.com

For performance parts-

http://www.eurosporttuning.com

Cheers from oregon, Thanks for the advice.. I've read some of your stuff on the board so I know the advice is sound.
    Why thank you. :-)
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and contrats on your 1998 V70 XC! Glad to see you're already getting some good feedback here. (Thanks lancerfixer!) To add, you may also want to check out Edmunds' Maintenance Guide where you you can look up Technical Service Bulletins, Recalls, Manufacturer-recommended service intervals, and other details on your vehicle. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your ownership experience. ;-)

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

• autocluelessautoclueless Member Posts: 6
    My dear wife has been looking at the 2002 V70 T (either FWD or the XC) with a third row seat. We believe a good deal can be had around this time of the year and it is a rather good car (from comfort and performance standpoint). However, after doing a lot of readings (on this site and others), there seems to be a great concern about the reliability of this car. What are your collective experiences on this?

I "inherited" a Camry from my brother and it works great eventhough it has a high mileage on it (the car is boring as heck, though :o) ). We also have a Caravan and we are not very impressed. The reliability is certainly not very good, the handling is pretty lame , and the gas mileage is atrocious (blamed it on my wife - she has always wanted a minivan - did not turn out too well). Lastly, i am not very impressed with my wife's S430 either ("bloated" - imho).

I am certainly not expecting a Volvo to be as reliable as a Toyota - however i certainly don't want my car to be in the shop once or twice every year either.

Thanks for your input.
    O.k. so my first order of business is replacing the torque bushing with a new 3-piece jobby from one of the warehouses this afternoon (seems cut and dry procedure) after we get the car back from the detailer, my wife wanted it to look "new". My real question is has anyone put another tip on the left hand side muffler of the car and knock out the piece in the bumper to give it that "mean dual exhaust I haul my kids around" look? I would like to try it becuase it looks nice , but I don't want to hurt the car any, as far as smog, performance, ect. Any help is really appreciated.
    Thanks, Turbo
    "i certainly don't want my car to
    be in the shop once or twice every year either."

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Volvo but "once or twice every year" might be a good-case scenario.

It appears your reliability threshold may be higher than Volvo (or most European brands) can deliver.
  • autocluelessautoclueless Member Posts: 6
    Thanks!
    i guess we should stay away from Volvo then.
    (this is my wife's analogy of cars to men:
    Japanese - reliable; boooring...
    European - tall, dark, handsome; can't be trusted...
    American - easy going/up-keep; not very refined - will sit on the couch, eat potato chip, and watch football on tv all day...
    )
    :o)
    Well, you can do it right, but it'll cost.

http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsList.aspx?subSubCategoryID=221

Well, I put in a new torque bushing and I thought that the engine vibration that I was feeling would disappear...it didn't as much as I thought. The car is extremely smooth in reverse, but common sense says I can't do that all the time. Does anyone know if there are more mounts that can cause vibrations or is this the way that the xc feels. I have checked the mounts that I can see and they all look to be fine.
    Thanks for the input
  • prodigalsunprodigalsun Member Posts: 213
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used v70, and I'd like to get one with a 3rd seat. My question is, can I buy one without, and order from the dealer, or is it something that the Factory needs to do, and therefore I need to confine my search to wagons having that option?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brad
  • nsolanonsolano Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased a 2002 V70. It is a base level model with a normally aspirated engine. I would like to place a cargo liner in the rear because I intend to let my dogs ride there. Does anyone have any recommendations? I wondered if it is best to go with Volvo accessories or if there is a good quality after-market supplier.
  • camydogcamydog Member Posts: 64
    Hi everyone,

My wife and I are overseas and bought a new 2001 T5 4 months ago. We really like the car and got a fabulous deal. It will make most of you sick if you hear the price.

Anyway, we have both experienced a door lock problem with the drivers door using the key fob when locking it after driving it. We hit the button, the solenoid clicks for all four doors, but either none lock or all but the drivers door. I came home one night after we drove our other cars to work and found the driver door unlocked from the evening before. I opened it and the alarm went off.

My wife since has had a problem getting it to lock and had to stick the key back in the ignition, turn it to on, pull it out, and then hit the key fob and it locked.

I have not had the time to read the rest of this message board so I apologize if this has already been addressed. With that said, does anyone have a clue to what might be happening to the locking system? I suspect the alarm has something to do with it but don't have any experience with Volvo's so I look to all of you for advice.

Help! Thanks.
  • white951white951 Member Posts: 18
    I am wondering about picking up a used wagon in the 40k mile range. Probably 1999 or 2000. Are there any things that need to be done around this time like some cars need new timing belts and water pumps (typically german) on the V70 or S70 cars.
    You can look up manufacturer recommended service schedules, parts, and estimated costs... for your V70 in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide. Others here may have more to add. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• ozcar1ozcar1 Member Posts: 8
    The latest Consumer Reports study confirms the results of JDPowers and others studies that indicate Volvo is in the top tier of quality.

Consumer Reports today revealed that the Volvo S60, Volvo S70 and Volvo V70 XC Cross Country are all on the recommended list. All of these vehicles are on the same platform as the XC90.

From CR "...Volvo unit continue to post solid gains in reliability, while the quality of recently redesigned models such as the 2002 Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima has fallen, an influential buying guide said Thursday."

No Mercedes-Benz vehicle scored high enough to be recommended.

The Consumer Reports study confirms the results of JD Powers which reported that Volvo is the highest ranked European car in quality and in the top 5 of all manufacturers.
  • mstsscmstssc Member Posts: 89
    I believe the 3rd seat is dealer installed. It was in our 99 V70. Best to just call the dealer and ask them.
  • sangoramasangorama Member Posts: 4
    More of a rant than anything...just need to get this off my chest - hope you all don't mind...

My wife and I brought home a 2002 v70 T5 last July thinking we could finally own a reliable luxury car. We were able to turn a blind eye to the leaky sunroof, loose plastic moldings, rings and rattles, and the occasional engine deaths as just new car break-ins (that the service people mostly fixed). But what I am fighting with Volvo right now is the seat adjustor that has broken on the passenger seat.

A friend was moving the reclining portion of the passenger seat when the adjusting knob broke off. Since the car was just 1 year old, I assumed that Volvo would replace it under warranty, but I was notified that it would cost over $400 to replace this little piece!!! Of course I was fuming - the service manager offered to provide the service for free but the part alone still cost more than $200. I contacted Volvo Corporate who gave me the run around like you wouldn't believe - trying to first push me off back to the local service people, then finally saying that because the piece was broken due to 'outside circumstances', they wouldn't cover it under warranty.

In my short 32 years of life, I have NEVER heard of this seat adjustor breaking off. To me this is clearly a factory fault. Is this just what I get for buying a $50K car?
  • conbugconbug Member Posts: 13
    Sangorama,

I hope you are exaggerating your purchase price... otherwise I'll sell you my old 1985 Toyota pickup for $20K!
  • kagenskikagenski Member Posts: 4
    I was looking at an '03 XC70 today and was
    reasonably impressed.

But, I did forget to look at one item and can't
    find an answer in the brochure or online, What
    is the Cup Holder setup in the rear-seat area?

thanx
    Edmunds' First Drive: 2004 Volvo S60R and V70R. Hope you enjoy. And please return here to post your comments about the V70R.

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    The Volvo V70 is a great compromise of edgy styling, comfort extraordinare, room galore, and 4 adult, 3 child seating. The seats are the firmest of any wagon available for those with back or neck problems (like me). The V70 also has great acceleration. No one should buy a luxury wagon without first looking at the V70. The price with leather, wood, 4-disc in-dash cd changer, and third row seat is around $36,000
  • vascdudevascdude Member Posts: 11
    If you are not in a hurry to purchase your car, you might want to look into the overseas program that is offering a special deal. Free premium pkg included in a 2003 xc. Check the other xc page here for more info in another posted message.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    there are two rear cup holders in the fold down armrest in the rear seat. hope this helps.
  • nsolanonsolano Member Posts: 11
    I have a new (less than 1000 miles) 2002 V70 with the normally aspirated 168hp engine. The engine vibrates at idle and this can be felt in the passenger compartment. Is this a characteristic of this engine or should I take the car back to the dealer?
    No, that's not a problem; the normally-aspirated engine vibrates a lot at idle, so don't expect BMW or Lexus levels of smoothness. I have a '93 850 with that engine, and I just love the way it sounds; the vibration gives it all that character. I'm surprised the Volvo five hasn't made its way onto Ward's list of top ten engines in the world; it certainly deserves a place, since motors like the Nissan DOHC V-6 or Porsche flat-6 don't do anything for me.
  • kjct5kjct5 Member Posts: 1
    Well its been 2 years and 35,000 miles. A few bumps with an intermitting cooling fan which caused the car to overheat last summer and replaced front ball joints. Both under warranty! Couple of blown headlight bulbs but were replaced by dealer under warranty. About the only issue now is a finicky rear door indicator light that goes out when I press the door lock button and a recent squeak (probably fan or glovebox). All in all a good wagon with a sports car ego. The engine is strong and the brakes sharp. I'm hoping for a good deal at lease end otherwise I'll have to give BMW a try.
  • marinadavemarinadave Member Posts: 20
    we're doing our own oil changes but do not know how to reset service reminder light. I believe that the procedure is different for 2002 versus 2001. Can someone help with this? Thanks.