Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    volvomax, you're awesome! Yeah, I had 3.9% on my CPO V70, so I'm sure I'll get the same rate if I buy a new one.

I actually went and checked out the '01 today. Unfortunately, it didn't have traction control...which is a deal breaker for us. They were also very firm on their asking price of $24,250. I was, however, very impressed with the extra power and the ride also seemed smoother and tighter than my '01 non-turbo. Do the turbo models have some magic that makes them ride better?

So basically, I'm totally confused about which way I want to go. I can rationalize anything from buying a CPO V70 all the way up to leasing a brand new XC70...just depends on how much I want to spend. I'm going to crunch some numbers, do some soul searching, and make my decision.

Thanks again for your wisdom.

Brian
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    V70R! V70R!

Oh, I'm sorry, was that out loud...?

:-)
  • steve24steve24 Posts: 1
    Is there a problem with selecting a different size tire for the xc. If all tires are of the same size. The pirelli scorpions 215-65-16 are some of the loudest tires iv ever experienced. I currently have 36000 miles on these tires. Iv switched to bridgstone ls-v 225-60-16. The aspect ratio is almost identical. The ls-v tires where rated very high in tire rack comments section. I got such a deal on these tires I could not pass it up. The car handles much better, and absolutly noise free.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    good luck.
    I would take a close look at leasing an XC70, pretty good programs out there now.
    Spent the weekend looking at CPO V70's and couldn't find that special one that was just right.

As we were heading home from a dealership with two cruddy wagons (I don't know how they passed certification), we stopped by one more dealership close to home. It was past closing time so I figured we could just walk the lot and look at the cars.

Of course, we were greeted by a salesperson within a few minutes and the talks began. They had an '04 V70 (non-turbo) platinum green with taupe interior (our favourite combination) with Premium, Climate, and 16" Mimus wheels. We settled on a price $150 over invoice, deducted $2575 for the free premium package, and added $1200 for the 3rd row seat installation. Bottom line - $31,150.

Although there was an '01 moondust 2.4T that we could have gotten for about $24,000, I figured $7,000 was a good price to pay for a brand new car with 37,900 fewer miles on the odometer...in a color we actually like (love).

The '04 drives so much nicer than our 2001 did...it's tight and rattle free, has so much better road isolation and heavier, more solid steering feel. It is also equipped exactly the way we wanted (don't tell my wife I love the upgraded wheels). Thanks again for all the advice and support!

P.S. I actually looked into leasing the XC70 and almost took the plunge (the rates are very attractive). In the end though, we knew we planned to keep the car for a long time, and we decided we didn't really need AWD. Purchasing the V70 with the free premium package discount was the way to go for us.

• lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    Nice! I really like that color combo, too.
    enjoy the new car!
    Thanks! We pick it up Wednesday.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Did you say the '04 drives a lot nicer than your '01? I'm just wondering how that is, since don't they have the same powertrain & power rating? Were you the guy who had complained that your V70 had too much drivetrain slop/slack? Has the '04 been cured of this?
    I never noticed any driveline slop or slack, although all Volvo's I've driven do have an initial hesitation on throttle tip-in. It was midly distracting at first, but then I just got used to it.

Mostly, I think the difference in ride can be attributed to the worn Michelin Energy tires my '01 had when we bought it. It suffered from noise on textured pavement, and impacts such as bridge expansion strips felt relatively sharp through the car compared to the '04.

When I put new tires on the '01, the ride was significantly improved, though still not as tight as the new car. The '01 steering also felt more boosted, which resulted in a less connected feeling to the road in comparison to the '04.

Also, the '01 was a used car with almost 30,000 miles. The suspension was not as buttoned down as a new car, and I suspect the shocks were past their half-life.

Finally, I don't know if this is true, but I was told that Volvo retuned the suspension in '03, and the newer cars have a better ride as a result.

There is no doubt though. To my well-tuned seat of the pants, the '04 ride is better than every CPO V70 I drove...in every way. It's smoother, quieter, tighter, and firmer, yet the car has better road feel, and more confident cornering with less roll. Is there some psychology involved in being behind the wheel of a new car with a clean interior and new-car smell? Probably, but who cares. There is a qualitative difference, and I appreciate it.
    The 04 has a different steering rack from the 01 and a different throttle system.
    Bushing design was changed for 03 I believe.
  • dsvogeldsvogel Posts: 15
    Sorry this back dates a few days, but like I've written before I don't check this site every day. I've got a question on your totalled V70 - very nice to hear that USAA is paying up to the purchase price as I have USAA as well. I'm just interested about that spring issue you found out when you were changing the tires. Did you ever follow up on that? Had you gotten a CPO car without being informed of an accident? Did you check Carfax or something like that before you bought it?

Also, How do you think your wife would have made out had she been driving something else?

Glad to hear you found a deal that worked for you.
    Drive it in good health!
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Hmm...I must've mistaken you for someone else 'cause I recall there was one guy who was most unhappy about the lag it took his drivetrain to "engage" when he was slowing down (but not to a complete stop) and then re-accelerate. In fact, I think that was the word he used to describe the sensation -- the transmission seemed to "disengage".
    dsvogel - I was very careful about reviewing the maintenance records and carfax report before purchase. I also have a pretty keen eye for body repairs (re-welds, tape lines on mouldings, overspray on the undercarriage, etc.). It was a spotless car with nothing significant in its history. Besides the springs, the only other "red flag" might be the amount of tire wear for a car with only 26,000 miles. Since the car was totaled, I didn't feel compelled to follow up on the mismatched springs issue.

bodble2 - Definitely wasn't me. The only thing I was unhappy about was losing the car.
  • c3eng726c3eng726 Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a used Volvo. I was thinking about the S60, but was impressed with the V70 XC. I want to stay under $20,000. I've found a 2000 with 80,000 miles selling for about $16,000, and a 2001 also with 80,000 miles selling for $19,000. Each of these cars are fully and comparably equipped. How do these cars compare in quality, performance, etc? Would the 80,000 miles on these cars be of concern? Also, in doing my research, I found that Consumer Reports didn't particularly like either of these cars. Any comments from drivers with personal experience with these cars. One last thing - I would prefer a 5-speed manual transmission. I have not seen one available - does it exist in this model? Any feedback would certainly be appreciated. Thanks.
    John
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Posts: 196
    All being equal, I would go with the 01. It is the newer style and probably (should) drives nicer. I think they look nicer also.

For 3 grand it's a no brainer for me.

The manual is not available on the XC models. Only the V70 2.4 and T5
  • mkrsw1mkrsw1 Posts: 12
    the one caveat on the 01 that i have is that the driver
    and front passenger areas feel a bit more cramped following
    the redesign. you should drive both - you'll notice a difference.

mike
    Go for the 01, much nicer car.
    Larger and more capable, much better off roader, better ergonomics.
    Manuals were never available for the XC's.

CR is pathetic as far as I'm concerned.
    They recommend some junk and pass on some fine cars, not just Volvo. Their methodology is highly suspect IMHO.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Are there any major differences between the '01 and '02 base V70 2.4? Those two years appear to be so similar that I can't tell if there's anything different between them. They have the same 15-in. alloy wheels, same interior, but I don't know if the steering and chassis gear are the same. I know the engine didn't change.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Posts: 196
    Cramped is a relative feeling. I have had both as demos and 100% like the 01 better. Look, drive, feel, everything is better.